PDA

View Full Version : 6.7 tuning

cumminskoontzzy
January 4th, 2013, 04:33 PM
hello i just bought a v2 and could use some help in tuning or some pointers on what to do . I'm kinda afraid on it cuz i don't wanna mess my truck up by going over the limit i wanna deleted it and get the most out of it with that for now and slowly build it up and hit some truck pulls in pa thanks

2007 5.9
January 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Start with SMALL changes...see how the truck responds. If its favorable, then continue on, if not go back and adjust further.

As long as you go slow and with good judgement, its hard to hurt these things.

You could start off as simple as simply smoothing out the peaks/valleys in the timing/pressure tables.

Boost
January 5th, 2013, 02:09 AM
Les, if you don't mind, what are the advantages / disadvantages between 5.9 / 6.7? This thread was general enough so I don't feel like I am hijacking. :)

I assume the 6.7 is more expensive to buy, being newer and all, and possibly has a more sophisticated controller?

What about support (EFILive), complications, weight, potential, reliability, mileage, trans, turbo? A friend of mine that works on them seems to think the 5.9 has stronger internals, but sounds like a myth to me.

Does the 6.7 come with a nicer looking body style / interior? How about the similarities with tuning, is it better to learn the 5.9 because there are so many of them? Or will they all be 6.7 in the future?

Thanks!

tokymon
January 5th, 2013, 06:22 AM
there all 6.7l from 07.5 and up , i feel the 5.9l is better less emissons crap and more space between the cylinders ( less head gasket failures) the 12 valve has the stronger factory internals (england rods), 6.7l has variable vane position turbo
but i haven't played with the tuning of any cummins yet ( just starting to) so cant comment on the computers yet

cumminskoontzzy
January 5th, 2013, 06:47 AM
les do i start out mainly with the base maps on the main injection pulse , main timing base under injection timing,and my fuel pressure base map

Boost
January 5th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks Toky! Poor Les... lol. I am thankful for the many on this forum that are graceful with those of us that can offer little to nothing in return.

2007 5.9
January 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Les, if you don't mind, what are the advantages / disadvantages between 5.9 / 6.7? This thread was general enough so I don't feel like I am hijacking. :)

I assume the 6.7 is more expensive to buy, being newer and all, and possibly has a more sophisticated controller?

What about support (EFILive), complications, weight, potential, reliability, mileage, trans, turbo? A friend of mine that works on them seems to think the 5.9 has stronger internals, but sounds like a myth to me.

Does the 6.7 come with a nicer looking body style / interior? How about the similarities with tuning, is it better to learn the 5.9 because there are so many of them? Or will they all be 6.7 in the future?

Thanks!

Advantages are all for the 5.9. Less emissions, not a picky controller, better internal parts, and a favorable rod ratio. EFI support for the 5.9 at the moment is far superior compared to the 6.7, but that's due in part to the picky controller, and now the EPA crap.

Weight between the two is negligible.

Reliability is pretty close to the same..injectors in both are subject to premature failure due to horrible factory fuel filtration.

Mileage is again negligible, both have a Cummins recommended tear-down at 500,000mi.

Transmissions goes to the 5.9. The 48RE is far superior to the 68RFE in part to the 48 being a hydraulic trans with electronic o/d and lock-up. The 68 is fully electronic with a TCM that is a bastard to tune. The 68' wont lockup until 5th gear which REALLY screws with ECM tuning, as with the converter in "OPEN" mode, it doesn't apply enough load to the engine and the ECM is LOAD BASED for fueling. Where with the 48, we can "LOCK" the converter in any gear as long as the valvebody allows for it, and the 5.9 ECM isint load based.

there all 6.7l from 07.5 and up , i feel the 5.9l is better less emissions crap and more space between the cylinders ( less head gasket failures) the 12 valve has the stronger factory internals (england rods), 6.7l has variable vane position turbo
but i haven't played with the tuning of any cummins yet ( just starting to) so cant comment on the computers yet

England rods are the favorable rods, but the "Cracked Capped" rods of the Common Rails generally dont fail as much as "CCR's" of other manufactures.

les do i start out mainly with the base maps on the main injection pulse , main timing base under injection timing,and my fuel pressure base map

Start with the base+adjust tables, as the ECM looks to the "Adjust Tables" for referencing. Again, I would start with "ONE" section at a time. Smooth the timing base+adjust and drive it. So on and so forth...

Thanks Toky! Poor Les... lol. I am thankful for the many on this forum that are graceful with those of us that can offer little to nothing in return.

I ask for nothing in return..this is how I learned, and its my duty as a student to pass my info along to others. I wont give away tuning secrets, but I will show you the way to tuning yourself.

Boost
January 5th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply, fair enough and much appreciate the info!