PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Connect

greggles_vs
January 23rd, 2013, 01:20 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before, i did try searching first. I am a first time user of EFILive and am trying to see what DTCs my VSV6 throws at me. My problem is, when i try to connect, it says all 8 of the comm port options are wrong and will not let me connect my laptop to my car. I may be setting something wrong, i have tried reading through the help sections, but if i keep going, i wont have a laptop to look at my DTCs on LOL. Please, any help would be great, and since im very new to this stuff, the most lamen of terms would be amazing LOL cheers

Blacky
January 23rd, 2013, 07:47 AM
Are you using a serial to USB converter? If so (and assuming it will work with the ALDL protocol) you'll need to find out which serial port the USB converter is using.

Press and hold the Windows Key (between the Ctrl and Alt Keys) and while holding the Windows Key, press and release the Pause button (near the numeric keypad).
That will display the Computer Properties window.

On Windows XP:
Select Hardware tab page
Click on the [Device Manager] button

On Windows Vista and 7:
Select Device Manager

For all Windows:
Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers item (that will be at the bottom of the list)
Look for your USB-Serial converter device, right click it and select Properties.
Look through the various settings and one of them should show you which serial port number the converter is using.
Configure that COM port setting in EFILive.

Regards
Paul

greggles_vs
January 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Mine does not show it. Mine has lost of host controllers, a composite device and lots of root hubs. I'm prob reading it wrong or doing something wrong :(

Blacky
January 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Unplug the USB-serial device and press F5 and see which device disappears.
And/or plug it back in and press F5 and see which device re-appears.

Regards
Paul

greggles_vs
January 23rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Cheers, lol I wouldn't of thought of that, ill try in a few when I get back to laptop. If not maybe I'm missing something, I have obd plug to USB inserted from car to laptop. Just to check and clear codes. Is there more hardware I need?

greggles_vs
January 23rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
well i have just realised what part of the issue may be, when i plug in the cable a new option appears under the "other" section of device manager and comes up as driver unavalable. when i try to update the driver it will only search my computer and not give the option to search online for it, where would i get the driver needed for it to recognise the ALDL cable being plugged in? cheers

Blacky
January 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
well i have just realised what part of the issue may be, when i plug in the cable a new option appears under the "other" section of device manager and comes up as driver unavalable. when i try to update the driver it will only search my computer and not give the option to search online for it, where would i get the driver needed for it to recognise the ALDL cable being plugged in? cheers

It is unlikely that the drivers would be found by Windows searching Microsoft's driver database.

Did the cable come with a CD that had drivers on it? Or maybe go to the cable manufacturer's web site and look for a downloads section that may have drivers available.
Just for interest who manufactured the cable you are using?

Regards
Paul

greggles_vs
January 23rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
It was a purchase from eBay, my mate bought the cable and lent it to me, so I'm not entirely sure as there is no stickers on it. It was ment to come with full version of efilive4 and tunerpro rt however it was a burnt disc with a free copy of tunerpro rt. The cable is a blue cable with a red light on the obd plug

Blacky
January 23rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Many USB/ALDL cables use the FTDI chipset.

Download the USBView program from here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/usbview.zip

Run it and look for your device and see what the manufacturer (of the USB chipset) is listed as.
For example here's EFILive's old V1 cable showing that the USB chipset is supplied by FTDI.

If you only get a vendor ID and no description you can look it up.
For example in the USBView image above the Vendor ID (VID) is 0x0403(hex)=1027(decimal) you can look it up in the list on this page:
http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/ click on the "Company List" link and choose to open it using "Windows Word Pad".

Regards
Paul

greggles_vs
January 26th, 2013, 11:12 PM

Thats what i get when i open that file you said about, sorry, i used to be better PC minded but lost my touch when havent had internet for ages.

Blacky
January 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Well its almost certainly going to be the USB Composite device, since that is the only device that is listed.
What information is displayed when you select (i.e. click on) that device name?

Regards
Paul

greggles_vs
February 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM
14548ok, its taken me a while to get internet back on, but i now have it working, it wasnt going online to find the driver, but now it went online its found the driver, are you able to explain what each of the different logging sections are that are displayed in this picture? i have tried looking through the forums to no avail, otherwise do you have a link to a thread about what each thing means? cheers

Blacky
February 11th, 2013, 11:06 AM
RPM - engine speed in revolutions per minute

IDLE - desired idle speed in revolutions per minute

ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature

IAT - Intake Air Temperature

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

STFC-L Short Term Fuel Correction (Left bank)
STFC-R Short Term Fuel Correction (Right bank)

LTFC-L Long Term Fuel Correction (Left bank)
LTFC-R Long Term Fuel Correction (Right bank)

ADVANCE Spark Advance

RETARD Spark retard due to knock detection

AFR Commanded Air Fuel Ratio

BLMCELL Block Learn Mode Cell.

They are all pretty self explanatory except for the fuel corrections and the Block Learn Mode.
You can read more about those in the EFILive V7 Scan Tool User Manual on pages 11-13.

Regards
Paul