PDA

View Full Version : How do I use the auto tune feature?

bubba68ss
January 23rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
I don't know anything about the auto tune feature on EFIlive... can someone point me to a good tutorial? From what I understand it creates new tables for timing and V.E based on my engine... I have only ever used the tune tool to reflash my pcm for my v8 swap. I have played around with the MAF tables since I reused my v6 MAF.... but that is the only experience I have. I'd like to make good use out of the tool.

bubba68ss
January 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
I mean, in summary, what does the whole thing entail? I feel stupid for even asking.. but any post I find on this seems to have a lot of assumptions already made.

bubba68ss
January 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
I just found this, I am assuming this is what I need?

http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/AutoVE%20Tuning%20Tutorial.pdf

joecar
January 23rd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Start with this (read post #1 and any of the links it contains):

Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-a-single-log) (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-a-single-log))

bubba68ss
January 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I read through about the first 20 pages and I am still uncertain about what I am doing. I've read through the entire PDF I posted and that made some sense.

I know what PID's are lol, I know how to log a session, I know how to adjust tables, etc... I am just uncertain about what I am basically doing with this.

I am creating a new VE table, is that correct? I at least need to know what I am going for and this may make more sense to me.

I have access to a wideband O2 sensor, which gives me a correct AFR reading, correct? What is making this 'new table'?

Don't judge me, I am new to this!

bubba68ss
January 31st, 2013, 05:49 AM
I am clear up until this point. Where is this located

"It helps to have a passenger viewing the BEN factor map while it is displaying the
cell count. You want to hit as many cells as you can, as many times as you can.
Try to get a cell count of 50+ per cell."

joecar
January 31st, 2013, 06:37 AM
I read through about the first 20 pages and I am still uncertain about what I am doing. I've read through the entire PDF I posted and that made some sense.

I know what PID's are lol, I know how to log a session, I know how to adjust tables, etc... I am just uncertain about what I am basically doing with this.

I am creating a new VE table, is that correct? I at least need to know what I am going for and this may make more sense to me.

I have access to a wideband O2 sensor, which gives me a correct AFR reading, correct? What is making this 'new table'?

Don't judge me, I am new to this!Just read post #1 (and any links it contains), ignore the pdf (post #1 of the Calc.VET thread is the tutorial).

Yes, you're creating a new VE table from the corrected MAF table.

Your wideband is used to correct your existing MAF table (CALC.SELBEN or CALC.WO2BEN);

and CALC.VET calculates a new VE table from SAE.MAF and applies the wideband correction to it.

Have a read of post #29 here: Summary-Notes (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14188-Summary-Notes)

bubba68ss
February 3rd, 2013, 10:50 AM
Ok I have followed the calc.vet PDF and created all the pids, maps and made a few mods to my tune like it suggested at the bottom of the PDF (change from 4000r to 400, chane a few temps in the dfco, etc), uploaded and am ready to log. But the PDF said 'have a friend monitor the maps as they fill in'. I can't get the maps that I made to show up while logging or monitoring.

How do I monitor these? Or am i missing something?

bubba68ss
February 3rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
By the way, I don't have the wideband installed yet so this is just a practice run. I am trying the narrow band tune like it talks about at the bottom of that PDF

bubba68ss
February 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Ok, I got the maps to show up. went for a drive and built a new table. I applied the filters and hit 'average' and they all turned to 0.000. Also, about half of the 'selben' values filled in with all 1.0 when i averaged them.

did I miss a step?

I did some reading and it said to set engine displacement. I did this and they are still zero. Again, I am just trying the 'narrow band' tune that is mentioned at the bottom of the PDF.

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 03:35 PM
ok i have followed the calc.vet pdf and created all the pids, maps and made a few mods to my tune like it suggested at the bottom of the pdf (change from 4000r to 400, chane a few temps in the dfco, etc), uploaded and am ready to log. But the pdf said 'have a friend monitor the maps as they fill in'. I can't get the maps that i made to show up while logging or monitoring.

How do i monitor these? Or am i missing something?ignore the pdf

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Ok, I got the maps to show up. went for a drive and built a new table. I applied the filters and hit 'average' and they all turned to 0.000. Also, about half of the 'selben' values filled in with all 1.0 when i averaged them.

did I miss a step?

I did some reading and it said to set engine displacement. I did this and they are still zero. Again, I am just trying the 'narrow band' tune that is mentioned at the bottom of the PDF.
Post a screenshot of the map

( if you're using % VE units then you need to enter the engine displacement )

( you may need to increase the precision/digits )

PLEASE IGNORE THE PDF... instead please use post #1 of Calc.VET thread.

bubba68ss
February 3rd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Please excuse my stupid questions. I'm really trying to get a handle on this.

Here is the screenshot after dropping all values below 10

bubba68ss
February 3rd, 2013, 03:48 PM
here is my tune, log, map, PID that I have.

CalcVET_test.zip (http://garsworld.com/chev/CalcVET_test.zip)

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Please excuse my stupid questions. I'm really trying to get a handle on this.

Here is the screenshot after dropping all values below 10

14485No worries, they're not stupid, we're just trying to get to the bottom of things...

in that map, the n button is clicked (shows cell hit counts), click the button x-bar (i.e. x with bar over it)(shows cell average values).

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
here is my tune, log, map, PID that I have.

CalcVET_test.zip (http://garsworld.com/chev/CalcVET_test.zip)I look thru your files later tonite, early tomorrow.

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
Ok I have followed the calc.vet PDF and created all the pids, maps and made a few mods to my tune like it suggested at the bottom of the PDF (change from 4000r to 400, chane a few temps in the dfco, etc), uploaded and am ready to log. But the PDF said 'have a friend monitor the maps as they fill in'. I can't get the maps that I made to show up while logging or monitoring.

How do I monitor these? Or am i missing something?By yourself you can't really monitor these while you're driving...

in the V7 scantool you can have the map open while you're logging, and a passenger can monitor which cells are hit and which are not...

but since you're using V2 BBL you can't view the map (laptop not in car).

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 04:10 PM
You're using g*K/kPa units so you can ignore engine displacement.

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
After you click the x-bar button, make sure you also apply the filter, post a screenshot of the filter properties.

bubba68ss
February 3rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
No worries, they're not stupid, we're just trying to get to the bottom of things...

in that map, the n button is clicked (shows cell hit counts), click the button x-bar (i.e. x with bar over it)(shows cell average values).

When I do that all the cells turn yellow and show 0.0000

joecar
February 3rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
Post a screenshot of the map and of the filter.

bubba68ss
February 4th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Post a screenshot of the map and of the filter.

bubba68ss
February 4th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Making a map of the LTFTBEN, I get this map which looks more like what I have seen. Can I do anything with this?

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Goto the PIDs tab and see if the pids CALC.SELBEN, CALC.VET, CALC.VEN have a red X thru them... post a screenshot.

Also:

Did you select the pid CALC.DAT...? Your log file shows it's not selected...

with the log file open, on the pids select CALC.DAT, and save the log file (File->Save As).

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Trey using this filter:

[TRANSIENT FILTER]
Filter=Inclusive
X0000=SAE.ECT,F,°F,GT,176.00,100,AND
X0001=SAE.RPM,rpm,RPM,GT,500.00,100,AND
X0002=SAE.TP,%,%,GTEQ,1.00,100,AND
X0003=SAE.TP,%,%,DXLT,5.00,100,

paste that into the file Filters.txt located in the User Configuration folder.

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM
This is what I get from your log file:

14499 14500

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Also:

with the log file open, on the pids select CALC.DAT, and save the log file (File->Save As (notice the filename gets a number appended)).

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Also in your tune file do this:
- set B3616 to same as 2002 Camaro (65%/35% split),
- set B3609 to all zeros.

B3618 has overly rich parts... will you be running boost...?

bubba68ss
February 4th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Goto the PIDs tab and see if the pids CALC.SELBEN, CALC.VET, CALC.VEN have a red X thru them... post a screenshot.

Also:

with the log file open, on the pids select CALC.DAT, and save the log file (File->Save As).

CALC.VEN had an X through it until I selected CALC.DAT. This also produced proper-looking values on my VET map.

Here is a screenshot after those changes.

bubba68ss
February 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Also in your tune file do this:
- set B3616 to same as 2002 Camaro (65%/35% split),
- set B3609 to all zeros.

Done.

B3618 has overly rich parts... will you be running boost...?
No I won't. All stock. Do I need to adjust this table?

bubba68ss
February 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM
This is what I get from your log file:

14499 14500

Ok, after my second log (much longer drive), and after adding CALC.DAT and your filter from post #25, these are the tables I got. Do they look right? For the first one, I 'copy with labels' and 'paste plus add'? And for the second I 'past and multiply', correct? I am trying to get my LTFT's closer to 0, right?

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Those look much better :cheers:

1st map: CALC.VET -> paste-with-labels into B0101 (you might have to flatten those 2 spikes, see the 2 red cells in your map).

2nd map: CALC.SELBEN -> paste-multiply-with-labels into B5001.

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Correct, you're trying to get LTFT's close to zero (by correcting the MAF and by calculating VE from the newly corrected MAF, all in one go).

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Hint: after you got all you pids selected with no red X's, go File->Save->Save Pids.

joecar
February 4th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Regarding B3618:

Done.

No I won't. All stock. Do I need to adjust this table?You can set this to more suitable values after you get your wideband connected and the upper portions of the MAF corrected

( if you set it now there's a chance you might run lean at load/WOT )

bubba68ss
February 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Those look much better :cheers:

1st map: CALC.VET -> paste-with-labels into B0101 (you might have to flatten those 2 spikes, see the 2 red cells in your map).

2nd map: CALC.SELBEN -> paste-multiply-with-labels into B5001.

When I do 'paste with labels' the cell numbers drop from 45-ish down the the value of the cell I copied from (1.500-ish). I am adding these new values to the B0101 table, right?

joecar
February 5th, 2013, 04:17 AM
When I do 'paste with labels' the cell numbers drop from 45-ish down the the value of the cell I copied from (1.500-ish). I am adding these new values to the B0101 table, right?Wait... I don't understand what your saying... show me screenshots of what is happening.

when I wrote "paste-with-labels" this implies first doing copy-with-labels from the map, and then doing paste-with-labels into the tunetool table...

joecar
February 5th, 2013, 04:23 AM
i.e. like this with corrections:

1st map: copy-with-labels from CALC.VET -> paste-with-labels into B0101 (you might have to flatten those 2 spikes, see the 2 red cells in your map).

2nd map: copy-with-labels from CALC.SELBEN -> paste-multiply-with-labels into B5001.

clarification:
- always do copy-with-labels from the map,
- if the map has BEN units (e.g. SELBEN, WO2BEN, LTFTBEN), then do paste-multiply-with-labels into the tunetool table;
- if the map gas actual units (e.g. g*K/kPa, degrees), then do paste-with-labels into the tunetool table having the same units;

bubba68ss
February 5th, 2013, 10:56 AM
The values of the VET g*K/kPa MAP I created need to be added to the values of the B0101 map, correct?

This is what I am doing... The way I get it to work how I think it should is to 'paste and add' not 'paste with labels'.

Here is what happens when I 'paste with labels':

joecar
February 5th, 2013, 02:36 PM
The values of the VET g*K/kPa MAP I created need to be added to the values of the B0101 map, correct?

...No, not added... but pasted in to replace the values already in B0101...

edit: the map and B0101 must have the same units.

joecar
February 5th, 2013, 02:39 PM

Your pic #2 shows B0101 being displayed with % units instead of g*K/kPa units (look at upper right of 3D display)...

go Edit->Properties->Display->Volumetric Efficiency Value and select g*K/kPa, then restart the tunetool.

bubba68ss
February 5th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Your pic #2 shows B0101 being displayed with % units instead of g*K/kPa units (look at upper right of 3D display)...

go Edit->Properties->Display->Volumetric Efficiency Value and select g*K/kPa, then restart the tunetool.

Wow.. I missed that, I was looking at the title of the table and saw "kPa"... assumptions...

I'll try it.

joecar
February 5th, 2013, 03:30 PM
The kPa you saw on top of B0101 would be the units of the MAP axis.

bubba68ss
February 6th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Uploaded the new tune. My LTFT's now range from -3 through 1. They are all 0 when cruising at a steady speed. They used to idle at -11 and -9. What more will change with the wideband involved? Open loop tuning?

joecar
February 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Wideband will help you nail PE fueling (high load and WOT).