PDA

View Full Version : Misfiring at WOT

hpcubed
March 14th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I have noticed while watching my wideband at WOT that my engine seems to misfire periodically. At WOT, the wideband will be rock solid at 12.4 and then for a split second it will shoot to 20.9% (atmosphere) and then back to 12.4. If I did not have a wideband, I would never be able to tell it was happening by just driving the car. You won't really see it in a log unless your frame rate is really fast. Occasionally it will catch it.Anyone else see this? Any ideas what the cause is?

Delco
March 14th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have noticed while watching my wideband at WOT that my engine seems to misfire periodically. At WOT, the wideband will be rock solid at 12.4 and then for a split second it will shoot to 20.9% (atmosphere) and then back to 12.4. If I did not have a wideband, I would never be able to tell it was happening by just driving the car. You won't really see it in a log unless your frame rate is really fast. Occasionally it will catch it.Anyone else see this? Any ideas what the cause is?

Detonation will do that

hpcubed
March 15th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Seems like I would here it ping if it was detonating. And get some KR.

Delco
March 15th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Seems like I would here it ping if it was detonating. And get some KR.

NOPE , you can have misfire detonation under boost and not hear anything as well as the knock sensors not picking it up.

We regularly se this on the dyno and is characterised by a puff out the exhaust every time it happens. the knock sensor only responds to a resonent frequency and add boost and that can al go out the window.

Take 2 deg timing out of it and try again on the dyno with somone watching the tailpipe. You may also just have bad data , what does the wideband on the dyno show ?

Too little timing can also cause misfire detonation as well , it s a very fine line with a boosted combo

hpcubed
March 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry for the lack of information. I am running it N/A right now. It did the same thing with my high comp. 346. This motor is 9:1 with no boost. No wideband to compare to (no dyno). I am just watching my wideband as I go WOT for a few seconds (in a safe location).

stevieturbo
March 17th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I would add that the Innovate range have a nasty habit of randomly reading lean, or giving errors.

I have never been able to go out in any car with the LM-1 attached, and have a problem free session with regards to its readings.

Although interesting that detonation might show like that. The cars I was using it on, were definately not detonating.

hpcubed
March 17th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I would add that the Innovate range have a nasty habit of randomly reading lean, or giving errors.

I have never been able to go out in any car with the LM-1 attached, and have a problem free session with regards to its readings.

Although interesting that detonation might show like that. The cars I was using it on, were definately not detonating.

Have you seen the same situation that I described in my first post? I don't mean it just reads lean which would cause me a lot of concern. I see it go to 20.9% which is regular air. Seems that would indicate a misfire. But I do not rule out that it is a glitch in the wideband

stevieturbo
March 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Have you seen the same situation that I described in my first post? I don't mean it just reads lean which would cause me a lot of concern. I see it go to 20.9% which is regular air. Seems that would indicate a misfire. But I do not rule out that it is a glitch in the wideband

Check out Innovate's forum.

As I asid, I have seen it on several occasions, as well as sensor errors.
Sometimes my unit locks out saying "too rich" and I have to swtich it off and then on again before it will start reading sensibly.

Obviously many people use them and it works great. But they also seem to be very problematic. Its the only wideband Ive ever ued thats like that.

Delco
March 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Could indeed be a glitch with a poor product , compare it to your narrow band O2 when it happens , if it is detonation or a actual lan spike it will show on the bank that it happens on , if its your innovate then it wont show on the narrow band O2