PDA

View Full Version : EFILive Pre-Release 05

Blacky
January 31st, 2013, 10:17 AM
The latest EFILive software is now available as a pre-release to EFILive customers. This software is still being field tested and may contain undiscovered faults that may cause the software to fail.

Do not use this pre-release software in a production environment or where failure cannot be tolerated.

Download here:
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.7.219_PreRelease_05_Setup.exe
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.2.212_PreRelease_05_Setup.exe

Significant new features:

Installer

Installer can now be run as a regular user with UAC (User Account Control) active without using the right-click "Run as administrator" option.

V7.5

Option to export all calibration data to Excel, use File->Export Calibration Data
Option to export calibration comparison to Excel, use [Export] button on calibration compare screen.

V8

Scan Tool Dashboard is operational for opening, displaying and saving log files. Make sure comments and other non scan data are copied from your V7 file to your V8 file when you save the data as a V8 log file. You can view the log file info by selecting: Config button drop down menu: Display/Change Log File Info (Ctrl+I)
Notes are per log file now not per installation, so different log files can have different descriptions for the same note number. Note numbers are limited to 0 thru 9 and 30 (30 is the note added to the log file when you press FlashScan's/AutoCal's OK button to pause/resume a BB log). Notes: 0..3 are added when you press F1..F4 on FlashScan's keypad and 4..7 are added when you press Ctrl+F1..Ctrl+F4. Notes can be added/deleted in the V8 scan tool by right clicking on the charts.
Dashboard supports searching and filtering.
Dashboard gauges are not hooked up yet so they will remain unresponsive while displaying log files in the charts.
Navigating charts:

Highlight a section and left-click it to zoom to that selection.
Left-click the X-axis to zoom out to the entire log.
Roll the mouse scroll wheel up/down while hovering over an axis to move the axis up/down (or hover over the chart area to scroll the chart data left/right).
Hold the Ctrl key and roll the mouse scroll wheel up/down while hovering over an axis to change the axis zoom factor (or hover over the chart area to change the data zoom factor).
Left click in any axis to restore the default zoom and scale.
Hover mouse over axis-statistics when a selection is made to see a description of what the statistic represents (min, avg, max etc) and to have that statistic displayed on the chart.

Right-click on the charts to access additional chart options.
LB7 and LLY autolocking has been implemented. Please test and re-test the autolocking on your own equipment before relying on it to secure your customer's tunes. Ross and I have tested it here on bench systems but not in a truck. I'd hate for it to fail while autolocking the controller and have the controller end up being rendered unusable.
You can access the [F4: OBD] tab page by holding down the right-Ctrl and right -Alt keys while clicking on the [F4: OBD] icon. There's not much implemented in that window yet, I think only the E38 controller is supported at the moment (just testing). But I will be adding all the EPA/DTC stuff to that window over the next few releases. Feel free to check it out every so often.
Calculated PIDs support has been added. Pre-defined calculated PIDs can't be changed. Access calculated PIDs by selecting: Config button drop down menu: Calculated PIDs (Ctrl+K)
Custom Units can be defined - see Edit->Properties->General->Units
A skeleton V8 user manual is included, see the V8 start menu under documents.
PID selections can be copied/pasted between Scan Tool and BBX windows.
Existing/saved window sizes and positions and other user defined config data may be lost when upgrading to this pre-release. That is because older software versions saved/update their configuration (*.ini) files into the "Program Files" folder. The software now loads/stores the *.ini files from the user's Documents folder.

New ECM Read Support for V8

E20 DCM3.7AP ECM - 2011+ Cruze, Captiva, Orlando Diesel's (non USA models)

1996 - 2007 '3800 V6' PCM's

E16 Motorola PCM (mid 2000's 4 cyl)

Please note, by us adding read support does not mean we will necessarily add full tuning support, they are under assessment.

Firmware

You must manually update the firmware in your FlashScan and AutoCal devices using the firmware option in EFILive Explorer.
During the pre-release, the firmware version will remain at V2.07.35 (the same as the current public release). That allows customers to easily revert back to the current public release firmware if this pre-release firmware causes "show stopping" problems.
You can determine which firmware is in your device by the firmware date. The pre-release version has a date of Jan 31 2013, the current public release has a date of June 22, 2012.

The Cummins switchable tune (CSP5) feature is not included in this pre-release.
The DPF/EGR restrictions for US based customers are not part of this pre-release.

Bug Fixes:

Many bugs that have been reported over the past 6 months have been fixed in this release. If you have reported a bug but discover that it has not been fixed or has only been partially fixed in this update, please report the bug again in this thread.

Known Issues:

Please post issues, questions, clarifications (large or small) in this thread.
As issues are reported and confirmed they will be re-posted as "Known Issues" below.

When charts are configured to use OpenGL hardware graphics acceleration the PID caption fonts can sometimes be rendered incorrectly.
When charts are configured to use OpenGL hardware graphics acceleration the charts are sometimes not rendered at all until the mouse cursor is dragged into the chart area.
Main window can be re-sized vertically too small causing the EFILive logo to overlap the Tools icon (fixed in pre-release 06).
Properties window can be re-sized too small to cause some properties to become hidden /inaccessible, off of the bottom edge of the window (fixed in pre-release 06).
When expanding PID groups the expanded PID group scrolls to the top which pushes other expanded groups off the top of the page, effectively hiding previously visible expanded PID groups (fixed in pre-release 06).
Chart scroll bar does not accurately represent the data when zoomed all the way out (fixed in pre-release 06).
Ctrl+Alt+S (Zoom to selection) does not work (fixed in pre-release 06).
Dashboard "Save As" dialog box under Windows XP contains garbage for "Save as type" drop down list box (fixed in pre-release 06).
PID captions on chart axis are not being saved when dashboard is saved (fixed in pre-release 06).
Dashboard is not being added correctly to the "quick select" drop down list when dashboard is saved if dashboard is saved in a folder other than the default dashboard folder (fixed in pre-release 06).
Dashboard folder should be auto-selected when opening/saving dashboard files (fixed in pre-release 06).
V7 Scan Tool option: "Edit->Copy for export to V8" does not copy PIDs in a format that is compatible with the new V8 software (fixed in pre-release 06).
P05 read script error (fixed in pre-release 06).
E83 and E20 BBL support (added in pre-release 06).
Un-checked BBL controllers are still visible on FlashScan's PID selection menu (fixed in pre-release 06).

Regards
The EFILive Development Team

tokymon
January 31st, 2013, 11:14 AM
sub-ed for bugs

ScarabEpic22
January 31st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Found a few bugs, going to do a quick write-up then post back.

Dig the look of the new Scan tool though! And LOVE how fast it loads log files, plus traces the data with the cursor. :D

No updated .calz files though? Still dont have access to the 13 Impala with E39 OS 12655481.

EDIT:
Cant upload a Word .docx, it's zipped instead. Hope this helps out a little, if some of these are design then just ignore them. Also, I cant open the F4 OBD using that keyboard shortcut and clicking.

skills4lou
January 31st, 2013, 01:34 PM
For the 3800 pcm: does it matter to you if it's the supercharged version or not? I have access to a couple of each type.

ScarabEpic22
January 31st, 2013, 01:41 PM
For the 3800 pcm: does it matter to you if it's the supercharged version or not? I have access to a couple of each type.

All of them I think, the more reads the better the chance is they'll be supported.

GMPX
January 31st, 2013, 01:59 PM
No updated .calz files though? Still dont have access to the 13 Impala with E39 OS 12655481.
No, sorry they are still outstanding, planned to be done for the final stable release though.

Doesn't matter what it is, try read it and send it in. All three PCM types should read, if V8 doesn't auto detect the 3800 PCM type just select it from the list. Please note though, we (and wait4me) had done some work on these PCM's maybe 4 or 5 years ago, Jesse said he's pretty much got the cals done for them based on the work we did back then. I can't promise anything, but if there is enough interest (again) and it's only a few weeks work for us to support them all then we'll do it.

swingtan
January 31st, 2013, 02:59 PM
V8 Scan tool:

When attempting to "Zoom Selected" (cntrl - alt - s) it seems to actually perform a "Zoom None"
When zooming all the way out, the scroll bar at the bottom sits on the left hand side, even if there is no additional frames to display. This makes it look like you can move the scroll bar to the right, but there's nothing to move to. When all available frames are displayed, the scroll bar should occupy the entire "scroll" widget so as to indicate all frames are currently displayed.
When selecting PID's for charts in the V8 Scan Tool, the list of available PIDs is incomplete. The PID's appear in alphabetical order, but only go as far as "EXT" prefixed PIDs. I cannot select PIDs such as "GM.KNKRET" as it's not listed. If I change to a different controller log, I see TCM PID's but not all of them, so I think it's a PID count issue.

It's blindingly fast though. The 46MB E39 file took 8 seconds to plot!

BlackCPG
January 31st, 2013, 03:14 PM
When a custom dashboard is re-loaded, the custom PID text is not. The default name(s) are loaded.

When right clicking and selecting a PID, the error below is shown. Win XP SP3 (Win7 ok)
This happened twice, and has not happened since.

Also have a similar error when attempting to edit a note. Both XP and Win7.

Odd data in save as dialog. Win XP SP3 (Win7 ok)

Really like the new look and feel, and wow is it fast!

Blacky
January 31st, 2013, 03:46 PM
I cant open the F4 OBD using that keyboard shortcut and clicking.

I meant to remove that "shortcut" description from the comments in the first post before posting. It wasn't supposed to be public - doh, too late now :)

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 31st, 2013, 03:53 PM
Found a few bugs, going to do a quick write-up then post back.

Thanks for the write-up, they are all on the list to be fixed.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
January 31st, 2013, 03:59 PM
No problem, I also encountered the same thing as Simon with the log zoomed all the way out (scrollbar docks to the left side even though it should just be across the entire window).

Unfortunately without maps, kinda hard to use for test/tuning still. Ill try it out tomorrow on my way to work, stoked that this means both ECM and TCMs can be logged at once (via pass-thru)! :D

Blacky
January 31st, 2013, 04:01 PM
No problem, I also encountered the same thing as Simon with the log zoomed all the way out (scrollbar docks to the left side even though it should just be across the entire window).

Unfortunately without maps, kinda hard to use for test/tuning still. Ill try it out tomorrow on my way to work, stoked that this means both ECM and TCMs can be logged at once (via pass-thru)! :D

Pass-thru logging is not available yet. The pre-release software is only capable of loading/displaying/editing log files at the moment.
But yes, once I activate pass-thru then you can log both ECM and TCM together, (although you can do that now using BBL).

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 31st, 2013, 04:13 PM
When attempting to "Zoom Selected" (cntrl - alt - s) it seems to actually perform a "Zoom None"
Yes, that's broken - will be fixed asap.

When zooming all the way out, the scroll bar at the bottom sits on the left hand side, even if there is no additional frames to display. This makes it look like you can move the scroll bar to the right, but there's nothing to move to. When all available frames are displayed, the scroll bar should occupy the entire "scroll" widget so as to indicate all frames are currently displayed.
Yes, that's broken too - will be fixed asap.

When selecting PID's for charts in the V8 Scan Tool, the list of available PIDs is incomplete. The PID's appear in alphabetical order, but only go as far as "EXT" prefixed PIDs. I cannot select PIDs such as "GM.KNKRET" as it's not listed. If I change to a different controller log, I see TCM PID's but not all of them, so I think it's a PID count issue.
Do you mean the PIDs listed in the green section or the yellow section? If you mean green, then those PIDs come from the log file, in which case could you please send me the log files so I can see the problem for myself.

It's blindingly fast though. The 46MB E39 file took 8 seconds to plot!
I have been working hard on the code optimization - I even had to learn OpenGL to implement the hardware acceleration :)
The Tune Tool maps are also developed using OpenGL 3D hardware acceleration, they are also crisp and fast - here's what they look like in the V8 tune tool.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 31st, 2013, 04:17 PM
When a custom dashboard is re-loaded, the custom PID text is not. The default name(s) are loaded.
I can't reproduce this problem, can you list the exact steps that you took that show this problem?

When right clicking and selecting a PID, the error below is shown. Win XP SP3 (Win7 ok)
Again I can't reproduce this. If you can reproduce it again, the exact step required to reproduce will allow me to track it down.

Odd data in save as dialog. Win XP SP3 (Win7 ok)
I can reproduce this problem on WinXP, it is on the list to be fixed.

Really like the new look and feel, and wow is it fast!

Regards
Paul

bmc1025
January 31st, 2013, 09:27 PM
I am having a problem with the V2 handheld since the firmware and V8 update, when using the hot key F1 which I have set to LS1B I get error code $0185 file or folder not found. I programmed it with V8 under the BBX button. I switched the F1 hotkey to E35A and it loads.

UPDATE: I moved the LS1B to F3 and it won't read there either. Are my LS1B files corrupt? I have tried reformatting the config file and reprogramming with the BBX button in V8. How can I get good LS1B files for the BBX?

Thanks,

Branden

swingtan
January 31st, 2013, 09:55 PM
Do you mean the PIDs listed in the green section or the yellow section? If you mean green, then those PIDs come from the log file, in which case could you please send me the log files so I can see the problem for myself.

Hmm.... I was trying to chart GM.KNKRET, but couldn't find it. Now I can.

It may have been an issue with dual monitors, as previously I was working on the second monitor. I can't remember seeing the little "scroll up / down" arrows on the chart PID list before, but maybe the bigger monitor didn't need them? I'll try a different monitor later to see if it acts the same.

Simon.

joecar
January 31st, 2013, 11:48 PM
I am having a problem with the V2 handheld since the firmware and V8 update, when using the hot key F1 which I have set to LS1B I get error code $0185 file or folder not found. I programmed it with V8 under the BBX button. I switched the F1 hotkey to E35A and it loads.

UPDATE: I moved the LS1B to F3 and it won't read there either. Are my LS1B files corrupt? I have tried reformatting the config file and reprogramming with the BBX button in V8. How can I get good LS1B files for the BBX?

Thanks,

BrandenIn V8 under BBx, did you do Program All (accessible via downarrow next to Program)...?

Duramax 6.6L
February 1st, 2013, 12:09 AM
downloaded and installed

BlackCPG
February 1st, 2013, 02:16 AM
I can't reproduce this problem, can you list the exact steps that you took that show this problem?

- Select E54 -> Select "DMAX_TRQ_M","FUEL_MAIN_M","RPM" -> Charts(F4) -> Right click and select PID's -> Config - Edit Dashboard-> Select PID's on dashboard and change the caption name to "Torque", "Fuel", "RPM" -> OK -> Save Dashboard As -> Save as "test.dsh" > Close V8 -> Re-open V8 -> Scan Tool -> Open dashboard -> test.dsh -> PID's did not retain the custom caption text, they say DMAX_TRQ_M ect.

This does the same thing for other controllers and PID's as well.

Again I can't reproduce this. If you can reproduce it again, the exact step required to reproduce will allow me to track it down.

This did it today in Win7 as well.
It is hit and miss. When it does it, Charts(F4) -> Right click -> Select PID -> Access violation error
Also, Open log file -> log1.efi -> Right click - options - notes - add note -> hover the note and right click -> options - notes - edit note -> Access violation error.

Tobin
February 1st, 2013, 07:05 AM
Does this pre-release fix the 6.7 Cummins overhead and dinging issues?

Tobin

swingtan
February 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM
OK, tried a little more testing on the chart PID lists. This morning, I no longer get the "up/down" arrows on the PID list...

The actual PID count is as follows...

Source Metadata as follows...
[FILE],2
VERSION=7.1
DECSEP=.
[VEHICLE],2
VIN=6G1ZK54H26LXXXXXX
OS=12607218
[PID],31
CALC.BEN1_E38=0
SAE.AAT=0
SAE.IAT=1
SAE.SPARKADV=2
SAE.MAP=3
SAE.VSS=4
GM.ETCTP=5
E38.INVLVTMP_M=7
E38.AFRATIO_M=9
SAE.SHRTFT1=11
SAE.LONGFT1=12
SAE.SHRTFT2=13
SAE.LONGFT2=14
GM.INJPWB1=15
GM.INJPWB2=17
SAE.ECT=19
GM.KNKRET=20
E38.OCTSCL_M=21
GM.MAFFREQ2=23
GM.AIRPERSEC=25
E38.APCYL_M=27
SAE.RPM=29
GM.HO2S11=31
GM.HO2S21=32
GM.BRKR=33
GM.ENGOILP=34
GM.APP=35
GM.VOLTS=37
GM.TRACTRQ=38
SAE.LOAD_PCT=39
SAE.EQ_RAT=40
[DTC],1
COUNT=0
[DATA],6
DASHBOARD=
PIDCOUNT=31
CHANNELCOUNT=42
FRAMECOUNT=00036516
STARTDATE=2456325
STARTTIME=136092
[End_Of_Meta_Data],0

Channel Count: 42
Frame size: 50
Data length: 1825500

I'll see if I can reproduce.

Simon.

swingtan
February 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM
With the Dashboard list, it appears that either...

The program is not reading the current list of dash page files.
There is no way of specifying a "non-default" directory to store the dash page files in.

In V7.5 Scan tool, you could change the default directories by either the edit > properties > folder dialogue, or by editing the registry keys. In V8 I see no options to change the default directories. I've saved a new dash page ( in a non standard directory ) and while the two std. dash pages are listed in the drop down box, the new one is not.

Also, when opening a new dash file via the menu or <cntrl> - <shift> - O, the initial directory defaults to the last used, whether the last used was for a dash page, or opening a log file. IE. If you open a log file off the SD card (B:/EFILive/Scan/*.efi) then go to open a dash page, the window defaults back to B:/EFILive/Scan. It'd be good if each "File Open" option kept track of its own "last used" or at least defaulted to the required directory.

Just noticed that once you open a custom dash page, the option appears in the drop down list....

GMPX
February 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
Does this pre-release fix the 6.7 Cummins overhead and dinging issues?

Tobin
No sorry it does not, that is still being worked on amongst our beta testers.

Blacky
February 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Just noticed that once you open a custom dash page, the option appears in the drop down list....

It should also add it to the list when you save it. I will fix that.
Regards
Paul

sreve
February 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM
For what ever reason I cannot seem to copy\paste pids from V7 to V8

Blacky
February 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
For what ever reason I cannot seem to copy\paste pids from V7 to V8

Looks like the V7 "Edit->Copy for Export to V8" option is no longer compatible with the V8 PID lists.
I'll get it fixed asap.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks,

Branden

Hi Branden, is this still a problem for you, do we need to investigate it further?

Regards
Paul

bmc1025
February 1st, 2013, 07:12 PM
Hi Branden, is this still a problem for you, do we need to investigate it further?

Regards
Paul

I am still having the problem.

I have tried the following:

- selected program all in the BBX window in V8
- formatted config and then program all
- formatted using the EFILive explorer and then programming all using the BBX window in V8

I have attached my options.txt file, if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks,
Branden

Blacky
February 2nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
I am still having the problem.

I have tried the following:

- selected program all in the BBX window in V8
- formatted config and then program all
- formatted using the EFILive explorer and then programming all using the BBX window in V8

I have attached my options.txt file, if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks,
Branden

There is a check-box next to each entry, you must check the check-box for each controller that you want configured/copied to FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

bmc1025
February 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
There is a check-box next to each entry, you must check the check-box for each controller that you want configured/copied to FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

The box is checked.... It worked before the update, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: I wanted to add that it will not work under Scan -> Select PIDs either.

Thanks,
Branden

FreshDA9
February 2nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
As i posted on the Facebook page. I tried pulling the code out of my 04 grand prix gtp. It auto detected to PO5A and had a script failure. The correct ecu PO4B would try and fail when pulling the code saying it was locked under a different key.

I too tried my fathers 97 blazer (though there wasn't really an option) it too had script failure under all ecus that i tried.

GMPX
February 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Yeah thanks, I'm just checking the P05 issue out now...

Blacky
February 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
The box is checked.... It worked before the update, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: I wanted to add that it will not work under Scan -> Select PIDs either.

Thanks,
Branden

The Options.txt file that you sent to me only has the L31 (Vortec) controller selected.

You need to check the box next to the LS1B controller if you want that set up on the FlashScan device.

Regads
Paul

GMPX
February 2nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
As i posted on the Facebook page. I tried pulling the code out of my 04 grand prix gtp. It auto detected to PO5A and had a script failure. The correct ecu PO4B would try and fail when pulling the code saying it was locked under a different key.
Ok, it's just a file name that is wrong on the install, we'll fix it for the next pre-release update.
If you want to fix it yourself, just go to the folder:

For 32bit Windows:
:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Config
For 64bit Windows:
:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8\Config

Change the file name 'P05_R.obj' to 'P05A_R.obj' and it should read out fine then.

Cheers,
Ross

FreshDA9
February 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
GMPX i will manually update it and try to read it out but shouldn't it the correct ecu be PO4B since its a 04? although it did autodetct to PO5A

GMPX
February 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Do you know what your GTP PCM looks like? Just confirm it with the image shown in V8 after it autodetcts the PCM type.
The year model of the vehicle isn't how the detection is based (or how the PCM's are named), the P05 actually has 'P05' stamped in the case. Several queries are sent to the PCM on the VPW bus, obviously your PCM has sent back a message that was a match for a P05A PCM, so I would say it's going to be one of them.
When you get it to read then please Email the file to support@efilive.com

I don't think you will get the Blazer to work, it's not a supported PCM at all.

Thanks.

FreshDA9
February 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
It pulled out correctly after changing that file name. email sent.

I was just wondering when will we be able to use the tune/edit feature with V.8? Also will the maps and data be up in running in the full release update? the gauges and charts look great with some of my old logs in them.

GMPX
February 2nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
The plan has always been to get the Scantool side of V8 working before the Tune Tool. Time wise it would be foolish to give one, nothing ever goes as planned with programming and even if it did there is always interruptions to the process to delay things. The only loose answer I can give is that the V8 tuning tool is being worked on as a high priority in 2013.

bmc1025
February 2nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
The Options.txt file that you sent to me only has the L31 (Vortec) controller selected.

You need to check the box next to the LS1B controller if you want that set up on the FlashScan device.

Regads
Paul

OK I was changing things around when I uploaded that options.txt file sorry this is what it looks like now and still having the same problem. My select PID list screen also lists all of the controllers not just the selected ones like under the Tune menu.

I have formatted the config and selected program all with this options.txt file also.

I have attached a screen shot and my latest options.txt file

Blacky
February 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
OK I was changing things around when I uploaded that options.txt file sorry this is what it looks like now and still having the same problem. My select PID list screen also lists all of the controllers not just the selected ones like under the Tune menu.

I have formatted the config and selected program all with this options.txt file also.

I have attached a screen shot and my latest options.txt file

Thanks, with that file you sent I can reproduce the problem that you describe. Working on a fix for it.
Also, the non-checked items should not appear in the FlashScan PID selection menu, so I'll be fixing that as well.

Regards
Paul

bmc1025
February 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks!

When I get some time I'll see if I can break anything else....

I am also having problems with the chart blurring when I select the hardware acceleration check box. I have adjusted the settings in my control panel and I can't make it go away. I am almost sure it is just my older laptop's hardware.

Branden

swingtan
February 2nd, 2013, 10:18 PM
I've just noticed that the last log I did has no external PID's in it. When I updated the V2 firmware, I did the following...

Connected the V2, opened V8 S&T and read the current PID list from the V2 via the BBX window.
updated the firmware to the pre-release version.
formatted the config file system.
wrote the PID list from BBX tool.

I'm thinking that the "auto select all external PID's" option got unchecked, but I can't remember this happening with any other updates. I'll check the V2 tomorrow.

Simon.

EDIT: Looks like the external PID's just got dropped with the firmware flash. I'll run a test today.

EDIT: It was just the external serial PID's.

skills4lou
February 3rd, 2013, 09:22 AM
My internet is slow here, not going to be able download the pre-release until tomorrow. Will send read files when I can for 3800 pcm.

GMPX
February 3rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
No worries, it's not like we are about to enable 3800 tuning in the next release, it's just evaluating interest at this stage.

Blacky
February 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks!

When I get some time I'll see if I can break anything else....

I am also having problems with the chart blurring when I select the hardware acceleration check box. I have adjusted the settings in my control panel and I can't make it go away. I am almost sure it is just my older laptop's hardware.

Branden

Can you post a screen shot of the charts with and without the OpenGL option checked?

One issue I have seen is the fonts don't render properly on my hardware unless I first display the charts (at least once) without OpenGL selected, then I can change over to OpenGL selected.

Incorrect Font Rendering, when OpenGL is selected at program start-up.

Correct Font Rendering (after switching off OpenGL, re-displaying charts and then switching OpenGL back on again).

I'm still working on a fix for that font issue.

Regards
Paul

BlackCPG
February 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
Paul,

When I move the mouse around the charts with hardware acceleration active, the charts flash and mouse becomes very laggy.

With no acceleration it works ok. It could be my antique computer though.

I will try it on my Win7 i5 machine and report back.

bmc1025
February 3rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
Can you post a screen shot of the charts with and without the OpenGL option checked?

One issue I have seen is the fonts don't render properly on my hardware unless I first display the charts (at least once) without OpenGL selected, then I can change over to OpenGL selected.

Incorrect Font Rendering, when OpenGL is selected at program start-up.

Correct Font Rendering (after switching off OpenGL, re-displaying charts and then switching OpenGL back on again).

I'm still working on a fix for that font issue.

Regards
Paul

Here are the screenshots you requested. I was also getting the flashing like BlackCPG is at first but it has gone away. The blur is gone now also. The only thing different I have done was restart my computer. When I opened up the charts after the restart they appear correctly and do not flash. I double checked to see if acceleration was enabled and it was. :nixweiss:

BlackCPG
February 4th, 2013, 12:21 PM
No flashing or laggy mouse on the Win7 i5 machine.

scottcmb
February 5th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I installed the beta test, updated the firmware on the V2 flashscan unit, formatted both the system memory and the sd card via the flashscan unit, selected E38 and T43 in BBX and selected the pids i wanted (the V2 status is checked) configed the system then selected program all. Checked my V2 and it shows the E38 & T43 in the pid selection list menu. Plugged it into my vehicle to BBX log, selected the E38 & T43 pid. Switched the vehicle ignition to on selected "Display Data" the V2 then says "Error $0281 NO DATA FOUND" and also the same error messege comes up when you select "Record Data". Is there something i missed?

Blacky
February 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I installed the beta test, updated the firmware on the V2 flashscan unit, formatted both the system memory and the sd card via the flashscan unit, selected E38 and T43 in BBX and selected the pids i wanted (the V2 status is checked) configed the system then selected program all. Checked my V2 and it shows the E38 & T43 in the pid selection list menu. Plugged it into my vehicle to BBX log, selected the E38 & T43 pid. Switched the vehicle ignition to on selected "Display Data" the V2 then says "Error $0281 NO DATA FOUND" and also the same error messege comes up when you select "Record Data". Is there something i missed?

After getting the error and before powering off the FlashScan, save a trace file (F1, F3, F1) and send it to me (paul@efilive.com)

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Pre-release 06 is now available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21584-EFILive-Pre-Release-06

See first post in this thread for a list of bug fixes in pre-release 06.

Regards
Paul

scottcmb
February 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM
After getting the error and before powering off the FlashScan, save a trace file (F1, F3, F1) and send it to me (paul@efilive.com)

Regards
Paul

Email sent to you Paul with a copy of the trace file

Scotty

EagleMark
February 25th, 2013, 03:52 AM
No, sorry they are still outstanding, planned to be done for the final stable release though.

Doesn't matter what it is, try read it and send it in. All three PCM types should read, if V8 doesn't auto detect the 3800 PCM type just select it from the list. Please note though, we (and wait4me) had done some work on these PCM's maybe 4 or 5 years ago, Jesse said he's pretty much got the cals done for them based on the work we did back then. I can't promise anything, but if there is enough interest (again) and it's only a few weeks work for us to support them all then we'll do it.There is tons of intrest in these all over the net. Build it and they will come!

There is also tons of intrest and many more 98-00 Vortec trucks that do not go the EFI Live route because of the lack of supported paremeters in tune editor. Finish development and they will come! I know they are there, some are in other software and the rest I found in a dissasembly. EFI Live just need to finish it in a quality worthy of the EFI Live name! :cool:

THEFERMANATOR
February 25th, 2013, 06:07 AM
There is tons of intrest in these all over the net. Build it and they will come!

There is also tons of intrest and many more 98-00 Vortec trucks that do not go the EFI Live route because of the lack of supported paremeters in tune editor. Finish development and they will come! I know they are there, some are in other software and the rest I found in a dissasembly. EFI Live just need to finish it in a quality worthy of the EFI Live name! :cool:

I don't see why they would put anymore effort into the 98-00 VORTEC ECM when it is a poor ECM to start with and the LS1A 0411 swap is fairly easy with ALOT more tuneability to it and a faster processor.

EagleMark
February 25th, 2013, 07:04 AM
That is the internet rumor and they are hard to break!

It's a way better PCM when it has all the paremters added, then no need to change PCM to one that has been well developed! :anitoof:

ScarabEpic22
February 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM
That is the internet rumor and they are hard to break!

It's a way better PCM when it has all the paremters added, then no need to change PCM to one that has been well developed! :anitoof:

I agree it has the potential, problem is its going to be a REALLY hard sell to have EFILive re-look at it especially when a viable alternative (LS1B 512kb PCM swap) exists. Jesse might have some more stuff developed, but I dont know for sure.

Heck, you can buy 512kb PCMs used off eBay daily for under $40, Roland (Boost) sold me the one he had lying around for $20! Some of these even have BOTH PCM connectors, I bought a 1MB PCM with connectors and used one to build my bench harness for LS1B PCMs. Plus, the Vortec PCM will NEVER get COS options, so if someone plans to do anything crazy with one of those engines its going to get a LS1B PCM swap.

I wish there was a way around it, if you have found params then talk to Joe about setting up .cax files so you can use the Tune tool to view/edit them. At least the Vortec and 4cyl PCM guys have swap options, the P10 I6 guys have no alternative. (Maybe a P12 swap, not sure though.)

GMPX
February 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
There is tons of intrest in these all over the net. Build it and they will come!
Number of 3800 PCM reads sent in since releasing the option = 0, yes, 0. Looks like interest may have faded perhaps?

I don't see why they would put anymore effort into the 98-00 VORTEC ECM when it is a poor ECM to start with and the LS1A 0411 swap is fairly easy with ALOT more tuneability to it and a faster processor.
The Vortec PCM's life was ended 13 years ago, there won't be any more effort put in to it, sorry EagleMark, and as THEFERMANATOR says, the 0411 swap brings a lot more options to the table for tuning (Road Runner for starters), if GM didn't keep releasing new ECM's every three years we might have considered revisiting some of these older PCM's again.

ScarabEpic22
February 25th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I almost bought a 3800 PCM just to send a read into you guys lol.

Ross, it might take putting the bootloaders/etc into a public release to start getting reads. I had to revert back to the June 2012 public version on my laptop because I was tuning a car this past weekend and it was a PITA, wiped all my settings out.

Ill keep my eye out, but right now I dont know anyone who has a 3800. (Except Joe, didnt you have one for your wife a few years back, already upgrade?)

GMPX
February 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah fair call Erik, I shouldn't judge on a pre-release when many will choose not to use it. Don't worry about buying a 3800 PCM, I have a pile of them here. I think we got them for $5ea off Ebay in a bulk lot years ago.

EagleMark
February 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I wish there was a way around it, if you have found params then talk to Joe about setting up .cax files so you can use the Tune tool to view/edit them. I already set up the cax file with approx 50 more paremeters to make the Vortec a tunable PCM.

Number of 3800 PCM reads sent in since releasing the option = 0, yes, 0. Looks like interest may have faded perhaps?
Not a surprise, just like the Vortec PCM, all the people with them and 3800 PCM have not purchased EFI live so how could you get any reads? The market is still there, just no one to fill it.

I agree it has the potential, problem is its going to be a REALLY hard sell to have EFILive re-look at it especially when a viable alternative (LS1B 512kb PCM swap) exists. Jesse might have some more stuff developed, but I dont know for sure.

Heck, you can buy 512kb PCMs used off eBay daily for under $40, Roland (Boost) sold me the one he had lying around for $20! Some of these even have BOTH PCM connectors, I bought a 1MB PCM with connectors and used one to build my bench harness for LS1B PCMs. Plus, the Vortec PCM will NEVER get COS options, so if someone plans to do anything crazy with one of those engines its going to get a LS1B PCM swap. So the cost of used parts is cheap, installing them on top of a tune is a lot of labor. Most people I talk to don't want the complications of a hacked together vehicle. Worry they may not be able to get service...

With the economy here the big performance builds have gone extinct and with current administration keeping the economy from ever recovering the days of performance builds of plenty is history. The new market is all about tweaking what they have for fuel economy and will always be there, whether or not money starts flowing again like it was until 2007 when there was an abundance to spend on performance toys.

Differant world now, need to look at things differantly to keep getting new customers, or stay in business for a product only designed for Performance use.

EagleMark
February 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Yeah fair call Erik, I shouldn't judge on a pre-release when many will choose not to use it. Don't worry about buying a 3800 PCM, I have a pile of them here. I think we got them for $5ea off Ebay in a bulk lot years ago.That is another issue, your lucky guys have the time to work with the pre release. I couldn't think of making my software unusable and read somewhere else you can't reinstall old version? To dangerous... liking what I see... but the final release would have to be out a long time before I try!

Keep up the good work! :cool:

ScarabEpic22
February 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I already set up the cax file with approx 50 more paremeters to make the Vortec a tunable PCM.

Not a surprise, just like the Vortec PCM, all the people with them and 3800 PCM have not purchased EFI live so how could you get any reads? The market is still there, just no one to fill it.

So the cost of used parts is cheap, installing them on top of a tune is a lot of labor. Most people I talk to don't want the complications of a hacked together vehicle. Worry they may not be able to get service...

With the economy here the big performance builds have gone extinct and with current administration keeping the economy from ever recovering the days of performance builds of plenty is history. The new market is all about tweaking what they have for fuel economy and will always be there, whether or not money starts flowing again like it was until 2007 when there was an abundance to spend on performance toys.

Differant world now, need to look at things differantly to keep getting new customers, or stay in business for a product only designed for Performance use.

Glad to hear you got the cax stuff figured out!

A lot of shops see a variety of vehicles, but I dont think its the visibility but the lack of it being in a stable, final public release.

Now that I have 2 laptops, Im going to keep one on the latest public release all the time and run the latest beta stuff on the other. Flashing V2 firmware is quick, heck my V2 is running PR06 and I used it to save a file so I could flash with an AutoCal over the weekend (running June 2012 public fw).

I know parts are cheap and it's the labor that gets you, if your customers dont want to deal with the swap then unfortunately they'll have to live with the current EFILive and your custom params. Believe me, Ross and Paul are tired of hearing my broken record about additional P10 params, but Ive given that battle up. Fought a gallant fight for 5+ years, finally had to let it go. (I dont have the time/knowledge to learn assembly and reverse engineer params for the P10, props for doing it on the Vortec PCM! :D)

I know what you're talking about for the DD vs Performance stuff, but speaking only for the P10, all the tables are there to get a good tune. The only ones off the top of my head that aren't there are the ones to remove the cats. Dont know what the Vortec has because Ive never played with one, just read a buddy's truck a few years back.

That is another issue, your lucky guys have the time to work with the pre release. I couldn't think of making my software unusable and read somewhere else you can't reinstall old version? To dangerous... liking what I see... but the final release would have to be out a long time before I try!

Keep up the good work! :cool:

You can easily reinstall the old version, downfall is you have to back everything up and uninstall the pre-release, then install the old version so all the files are the correct version.

Most guys who tune full time use the Pre-Release/Release Candidates to play on a separate machine with their personal stuff on weekends, during M-F its public stuff only (unless a critical bugfix is in a newer release).

Blacky
February 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Release Candidate 1 has been made available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21842-EFILive-RC-1-%28March-01-2013%29&p=187132#post187132

EagleMark
March 1st, 2013, 03:18 PM
Hope this helps you guys make some future decisions. I really like using EFI Live.

There's an thread discussing OBDII tuners from users of all software. Consenses is TunerCat OBDII has more settings, more personal support then any, no per vehicle license fee, EFI Live does what it feels nessecery the forum is dead other then software support, HP Tuners forum and customers are booming and is more intrested in customer ideas and implements them:

I have made requests for new vehicles and features and they were always added to a new release in a reasonable period of time.

I can't even get you guys intrested in O2 high and low settings or DFCO MPH settings on the most popular gas controller the LS1b ?

Can't get more customers till reviews get better, waiting for reads from Tuners is not a good gauge of intrest, they have been telling everyone they can't do it for years along with the Internet, everyone knows this. Even if you had the V6 support it's not going to do much business from existing tuners for just licenses, it would bring in more personal sales of the software.

These same tuners and Internet facts are why you get no sales from the Vortec crowd.

Your missing the boat, there's way more V6 and Vortec out there now and forever then there will be new 2013 cars with the economy. Tuning is still HUGE on late 80s and early 90s GM cars. Don't know what your thinking?

GMPX
March 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM
There's an thread discussing OBDII tuners from users of all software. Consenses is TunerCat OBDII has more settings, more personal support then any, no per vehicle license fee, EFI Live does what it feels nessecery the forum is dead other then software support, HP Tuners forum and customers are booming and is more intrested in customer ideas and implements them
I am speechless, but then you are basing your discussion on internet forums, certainly the polar opposite of what we hear when we meet and greet shop owners at trade shows.
EagleMark, there is probably nothing more I can say without offending you, but we direct support and R&D time to markets that reflect sales figures, the ONLY reason we would ever add 3800 V6 tuning support is so existing customers who like to use just one package could stick with EFILive. It's not like there is an untapped market out there, it reached saturation many years ago when DHP & HPTuners were trying to outdo each other. It would be like trying to make an impact in the paper clip market, sure you'll sell some, but is it worth your while when there is bigger fish to fry.

EagleMark
March 1st, 2013, 07:56 PM
Please tell me, I'm not trying to offend and if wrong won't take it offensive.

Trade shows are the exact opposite of real world, but that is another whole discussion. Would be like government basing their performance from government.

It's not like there is an untapped market out there... Yes there is! That's the whole point!

but we direct support and R&D time to markets that reflect sales figures, There are no sales figures for the 2 markets I'm pointing out? Again, that's the point! They were always there and always will be. You have the high profile vehicles covered, now get the rest. You should look for all fish and not just big ones.

Doesn't take that much time to add another vehicle. I'm not even that good at it but can knock out a new calibration editor and data acquisition file for OBDI in a couple weeks alone with all the testing? Then I have it forever.

GMPX
March 1st, 2013, 08:18 PM
Trade shows are the exact opposite of real world, but that is another whole discussion.
Ok, when you have many people over several days of a trade shows calling by a booth and saying, we have a shop, we use 'x' brand or brand 'y' of tuning software, it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that, we pay too much etc, etc, I am likely to believe that as feedback rather than multiple internet forums (which I never frequent) by posters who are usually the same people anyway.
For people to say that HPT listen to their customers is a joke (for the most part), their external wideband logging has been broken for years, surely that is a rather important thing to have working in the gas tuning world? Maybe those pages of people complaining don't count in your internet investigations? How about Virtual VE tuning that their customers have been asking for ever since we put it in all those years ago, you still have to use an external program for them OR an SD 'upgraded OS' if you are lucky enough to have yours supported. Any specific examples of what they implemented by customers request would be great to learn about.

Yes there is! That's the whole point!
But you've already pointed out with Tunercat the no VIN licensing and as far as I know dirt cheap prices, so they already prostituted that market and killed it for others to enter in to. Most people will always take the cheap option, not necessarily the best.

There are no sales figures for the 2 markets I'm pointing out? Again, that's the point!
No, when we have solid figures for what we do support, it doesn't make sense to try to break in to a market that peaked 5 or 6 years ago and potentially neglect existing successful platforms.
To me that is like the Rolling Stones releasing a rap album, sure there is plenty of artists making truck loads of money off rap music, but would they? What would their existing fan base think? They should concentrate on a proven formula.
And to be honest, I'd rather relax a little in life too rather than support every PCM out there.

Doesn't take that much time to add another vehicle. I'm not even that good at it but can knock out a new calibration editor and data acquisition file for OBDI in a couple weeks alone with all the testing? Then I have it forever.Of course it does, if you are basing that statement on some 16bit ECM's out of the 80's then that is not a fair comparison. I know those systems too and the complexity is as you would expect not on par with the 68000 based PCM's.
The 3800 Platform has always been of interest to us and we will continue to slowly add the foundations in to the software to support them one day (like the silly checksum they use), but it's a 'in our spare time' or 'need a break' project.

tokymon
March 2nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
i have booth tuners (hp,efi live) i use efi as much as possible even though it cost a little more to use (125 us to 99 us) per licence
hp has been in beta for at least 4 years (the whole time i have owned it. bought it because ford and dodge were comming out right around the corner.
4 years later very little ford and no dodge atleast you have made good with the cummins just need the newer stuff now for us not under epa control

skills4lou
March 2nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Sorry it's taking me so long, had some personal issues going on. BUt, I've got V8 loaded, and heading out right now to see if I can get a read on my 3800 supercharged version....

ScarabEpic22
March 2nd, 2013, 10:09 AM
Sorry it's taking me so long, had some personal issues going on. BUt, I've got V8 loaded, and heading out right now to see if I can get a read on my 3800 supercharged version....

Hit Auto Detect and see if the PCM comes up (be good feedback) and read it out!

skills4lou
March 2nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Hit Auto Detect and see if the PCM comes up (be good feedback) and read it out!
Well, two problems:
First, the car (2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP)is not here. It's my FIL's, at least until I get it bought from him, and he's in town.
Second: How do I manually update the firmware? I plugged it into my 98 Olds and get an error about the script not working with my firmware. EFIlive explorer says I have the current version.
Thanks!

Edit: nevermind, I found it! I have the pre-release 06 running right now, and firmware version 2.07.35 dated 2/4/2013. Back at it....
Hopefully the Grandprix gets home soon!

And another gremlin: I keep getting an error code when I'm trying to program the V2 for different controllers. "Error: $0194: Write failure." Any ideas?
Thanks!

joecar
March 2nd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Your config space is full, remove some of the config items, and reformat the config space before reprogramming it.

BTW: RC1 came out a day or two ago.

skills4lou
March 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks Joe. I'll download RC1 this next week when I have faster internet. Out here in the boonies it takes me about 3 minutes to just download this page!

skills4lou
March 3rd, 2013, 10:35 AM

OK, here's the file (if it'll upload). Autodetect worked, and the PCM came up as "P04B"

beyerch
July 16th, 2013, 10:40 AM
GMPX - I've got hundreds of 3100/3400/3800 PCM Reads from cars. :) Have some all the way back to early '95 that had OBD-II :)

I'm guessing though that you don't need the files as much as the validation of your reading routines?

Like I told you guys in the past, more than happy to help you out on that front.

GMPX
July 16th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks Beyerch, it does seem to be a platform that people are always asking about (still) all these years on.