PDA

View Full Version : Cummins OS Changes / Compatibility

WyoFreeride
February 4th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Does anyone already have a compatibility chart for Cummins OS's? Items like what years can use what OS's, and what C&C Os's can be replaced by what truck OS? Can you flash an OS from a different year if the controller is the same (CM2100A, etc), or will a different year OS and Cal brick the ECM? EFI has a warning for an OS change, but are there certain ones that are safe and others that are not?

I am working with a C&C truck (early 08) that has an unsupported OS. I have another truck that is outfitted identically with a different OS (late 07) that I was going to try and use, but I get the warning, and didn't want to risk it since I cannot flash the original back in if there's a problem (because its unsupported).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The Unsupported OS I am wanting to replace is 11610304
The other similar truck is 11520902

I have several other 08 truck files too to try.

WetMtnCrd
February 4th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I tried several pickup files, one with the same OS, on my C&C engine/ECM and couldn't get them to work. There was good C&C file posted in the 6.7 Cummins thread that I used and it worked. You may need to disable some or all of the emission parameters depending on your configuration. The one that worked was a different OS than my original file. But it was a C&C file not a pickup file.

WyoFreeride
February 5th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Was the file you found that worked from the same year? Can I assume that as long as I dont try and flash a file from a different model ECM that any OS change is fine within the same model ECM?

WetMtnCrd
February 5th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Yes, I beleive it was the same year. If you look under "flash 6.7 after Smarty" you'll find the files. What I found was that my truck would start, run a few seconds, then die with all the pickup files. With the C&C file it started and stayed running. It had a pretty good surge above 60% throttle and 2300 rpm. I don't have any emission stuff or the VGT so I had to disable all of that. Now it works fine. Just depends on your configuration. I know a lot of people say the pickup files should work but that isn't my experience. When I was shopping for someone to reflash my ECM I was asked if the tag on the ECM was a Cummins tag or a Dodge/Chrysler tag. That was actually from the Cummins people not a Dodge dealer.

WyoFreeride
February 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I tried the 11520902 file from the similar 07 in the 08, and seems like everything is fine and dandy. Its a work truck and they needed it back today, so no chance to try some other files to see what worked and what didn't. Thanks for the help everyone (Zach from Starlite steered me in the right direction as well this morning)

I'll post the working file if anyone is interested.

-Joe