PDA

View Full Version : EFILive Pre-Release 06

Blacky
February 5th, 2013, 02:33 PM
The latest EFILive software is now available as a pre-release to EFILive customers. This software is still being field tested and may contain undiscovered faults that may cause the software to fail.

Do not use this pre-release software in a production environment or where failure cannot be tolerated.

Download here:
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.7.220_PreRelease_06_Setup.exe
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.2.213_PreRelease_06_Setup.exe

Before installing and using pre-release 06, please read through the posts for pre-release 05 here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21534-EFILive-Pre-Release-05

Important Information:

Firmware

You must manually update the firmware in your FlashScan and AutoCal devices using the firmware option in EFILive Explorer.
During the pre-release, the firmware version will remain at V2.07.35 (the same as the current public release). That allows customers to easily revert back to the current public release firmware if this pre-release firmware causes "show stopping" problems.
You can determine which firmware is in your device by the firmware date.
Pre-release 06 firmware has a date of Feb 04 2013,
Pre-release 05 had a date of Jan 31 2013
The current public release has a date of June 22, 2012.

The Cummins switchable tune (CSP5) feature is not included in this pre-release.
The DPF/EGR restrictions for US based customers are not part of this pre-release.

Bug Fixes:

Many bugs that have been reported over the past 6 months have been fixed in this release. If you have reported a bug but discover that it has not been fixed or has only been partially fixed in this update, please report the bug again in this thread.

Known Issues:

Please post issues, questions, clarifications (large or small) in this thread.
As issues are reported and confirmed they will be re-posted as "Known Issues" below.

When charts are configured to use OpenGL hardware graphics acceleration the PID caption fonts can sometimes be rendered incorrectly. (fixed in RC1)
When charts are configured to use OpenGL hardware graphics acceleration the charts are sometimes not rendered at all until the mouse cursor is dragged into the chart area. (fixed in RC1)
Attempting to BBL an ECM/TCM pair (or possibly even just a TCM by itself) will result in the error $0281 "No Data Received" error. (fixed in RC1)
Attempting to unlock an AL5 (Allison 5 speed) controller will cause the controller to become re-locked with a random key. (fixed in RC1)
Changing a chart's font size, style or name, then attempting to discard changes when leaving the chart editor will not discard the font changes. (fixed in RC1)
When clicking on the [Config] button in the Scan or Tune windows, the Property Editor opens on the property group instead of on the first item in the group. (fixed in RC1)
Application Violation Error occurs when closing the Scan Tool window if the following is performed: Enter odo in the PID search text box, expand the Enhanced PIDs group, highlight and delete odo from the search box, close the Scan Tool window. (fixed in RC1)
Audible and visual alarms not working in BBL mode. (fixed in RC1)

Regards
The EFILive Development Team

kangsta
February 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Awesome new developments!

I didn't see the E20 ECM option in BBL Scan or Pass-Thru Scan but it's there in BBR?

ScarabEpic22
February 5th, 2013, 03:54 PM
The issues I report for Pre-Release 05 have been fixed! :)

Going off kangsta, I know the V6 PCMs for read support appear in the V8 Tune tool (ie you can right click and select the controller to read) but in the BBX settings you cannot add them as a controller to read/flash. Is this by design because they dont have flash support yet? I know for some people it would be nice to read with just a V2/AC and not in pass-thru. (Dont V2/ACs use the same files as V8 to read/flash controllers?)

kangsta
February 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM
You can add the V6 controllers manually into the config file and it will work for BBR. You cant manually do this for logging the E20 because I checked to see if the file is there and it's not. (after i posted the original post)

bmc1025
February 5th, 2013, 07:15 PM
LS1B works now in the BBX!

Thanks,

Branden

GMPX
February 5th, 2013, 08:49 PM
You can add the V6 controllers manually into the config file and it will work for BBR. You cant manually do this for logging the E20 because I checked to see if the file is there and it's not. (after i posted the original post)
Paul did ask me before this release for a list of the supported E20 PID's, so if it's been omitted it's by accident. Do you have access to one to test with? I had to give the ECM back.

kangsta
February 5th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Sorry Ross, I dont have access to one at the moment. I only come across them now and then. BTW is this the same ECM as in the diesel Captivas?

Duramax 6.6L
February 6th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Installed

Blacky
February 6th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Awesome new developments!

I didn't see the E20 ECM option in BBL Scan or Pass-Thru Scan but it's there in BBR?

Unzip the attached file into your V8 install folder (i.e. into C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8).

It contains three files that will be automatically copied into the folders:

E20.pmm -> C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Config
E20_PIDs.txt ->C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Documents\Pid Descriptions
Identify.dat -> C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Controllers\Identify

Regards
Paul

GMPX
February 6th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Sorry Ross, I dont have access to one at the moment. I only come across them now and then. BTW is this the same ECM as in the diesel Captivas?
Yes, it's the same one, but only from 2011+ SeriesII's, the earlier 2010(ish) Cruze and Captiva Diesels used a different type of ECM, I'm not even sure who makes it but they are $2800 from Holden :shock:

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Just found another bug, Ive never used it before but using the Edit in V7 button in the V8 tune->Edit gives the attached error.

wesam
February 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I want to know if the 2013 GMC trucks are supported now ?

Rhino79
February 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM
WOW, the new dashpage layout and pids are sweet for the e38 and t43, looks like we have a lot more pids now??

swingtan
February 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Was there a FS / AC firmware change for RC6?

I seem to have lost the ability to set alarms in the V2. Even though the setup indicates the LED's should be in alarm mode, they are stuck in status mode (I get one orange LED flashing all the time indicating vehicle comms).

Rhino79
February 11th, 2013, 05:58 AM
I think so, Should be dated Feb xx instead of January

Blacky
February 11th, 2013, 11:10 AM

I seem to have lost the ability to set alarms in the V2. Even though the setup indicates the LED's should be in alarm mode, they are stuck in status mode (I get one orange LED flashing all the time indicating vehicle comms).

Yes there was but it should not have affected the LEDs. I'll look into it.
Paul

Blacky
February 11th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Just found another bug, Ive never used it before but using the Edit in V7 button in the V8 tune->Edit gives the attached error.

Dumb question I know, but I presume you have V7 installed?

V8 used the V7 executable path as defined by this registry key:
\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cu rrentVersion\App Paths\EFILive_Tune.exe
If that key does not exist or is wrong then V8 can't start or run the V7 software.

Can you check that registry key on your system please?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 11th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Dumb question I know, but I presume you have V7 installed?

V8 used the V7 executable path as defined by this registry key:
\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cu rrentVersion\App Paths\EFILive_Tune.exe
If that key does not exist or is wrong then V8 can't start or run the V7 software.

Can you check that registry key on your system please?

Regards
Paul

Ignore all that, it was a permissions problem. The V8 software was attempting to open the key for read/write (and users don't have write permission to that key).
I changed it to open with only read access and it fixes the problem.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
February 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Ah I see, thanks for checking it out!

Yes I have V7.5 installed, I do have that reg key fwiw. Full local admin privileges on this machine as well.

bmc1025
February 11th, 2013, 06:57 PM

The LEDs are working for me in the alarm mode. As soon as I switch it back to "status" using the arrow keys on the V2 it starts flashing the vehicle comm light.

joecar
February 13th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Paul,

Has the V2 analog logging error been fixed...?

Blacky
February 13th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Paul,

Yes, as far as I know.

wesam
February 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I want to know if the 2013 GMC trucks are supported now ?

Any body ?!!!

cindy@efilive
February 13th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Any body ?!!!

Specifically which trucks/engines? Gas or diesel?

Cheers
Cindy

GMPX
February 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Any body ?!!!
I think you had asked about these earlier, the 6.0L with the E78 ECM, the answer is the files are not in the pre-release, but Email support and we can send them to you.

ScarabEpic22
February 13th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Glad to see things are progressing, eta for PR07? And then maybe a public release after that (barring any major issues)? Or is everything going to stay Pre Release until the V8 Scan tool is done?

wesam
February 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I think you had asked about these earlier, the 6.0L with the E78 ECM, the answer is the files are not in the pre-release, but Email support and we can send them to you.

thanks a lot I will email support

VTuner
February 14th, 2013, 04:34 AM
I am getting an $050B error if I try to revert my V2 or Autocals back to the latest public release firmware, even after programming a BBX configuration update with the V8 build 203 public release. Anyone else confirm this and can we get a fix - I shipped an Autocal out to a customer yesterday that I had reverted back to the public release firmware not realizing the script error is going to occur unless it is updated to pre-release 06. I tested this as well - I can go back to the pre-release firmware and BBX program it again with pre-release 06 and everything works again.

Cheers,
Brian

VTuner
February 14th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I am getting an $050B error if I try to revert my V2 or Autocals back to the latest public release firmware, even after programming a BBX configuration update with the V8 build 203 public release. Anyone else confirm this and can we get a fix - I shipped an Autocal out to a customer yesterday that I had reverted back to the public release firmware not realizing the script error is going to occur unless it is updated to pre-release 06. I tested this as well - I can go back to the pre-release firmware and BBX program it again with pre-release 06 and everything works again.

Cheers,
Brian

Here are some more details I have been able to confirm-
I can update a V2 or Autocal firmware to the pre-release and as long as I have not written a specific BBX configuration , I can then revert the firmware back to the public release and program the BBX configuration using the public release and no $050B error occurs - so the firmware is not the problem, rather something else is not updating properly on the autocal that I can not erase (I tried formatting the data file and that did not help). Once you program a V2 or Autocal with a specific BBX configuration using the pre-release it is impossible to go back to the public firmware/software and re-program it with the same BBX configuration - ie, once you use the pre-release to BBX program tuning for an E78 you can not revert back to the public version and BBX reprogram the E78 cofiguration.

joecar
February 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Paul,

Yes, as far as I know.Ok, thanks.

Blacky
February 14th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Cheers,
Brian

It may be this...

When going back to an earlier release, you can't install it over a later release. You have to uninstall it first, then install the earlier release.
The reason for that is that for some files/folders the installer only overwrites older files but not newer ones. So when going "backwards" the earlier software is "older" than the pre-release so some of the pre-release files may still be active in the install.

Regards
Paul

VTuner
February 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM
It may be this...

When going back to an earlier release, you can't install it over a later release. You have to uninstall it first, then install the earlier release.
The reason for that is that for some files/folders the installer only overwrites older files but not newer ones. So when going "backwards" the earlier software is "older" than the pre-release so some of the pre-release files may still be active in the install.

Regards
Paul

I did that already - it did not make a difference. I used the "Uninstall EFILive Scan and Tune" application first, but perhaps it is not removing everything that needs to be deleted?

VTuner
February 14th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I did that already - it did not make a difference. I used the "Uninstall EFILive Scan and Tune" application first, but perhaps it is not removing everything that needs to be deleted?

I took it one step further - I installed V8 Build 203 on a new computer that has never seen EFILive installed, reprogrammed the Autocal and it still gives a $050B error.

Regards,
Brian

joecar
February 14th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I took it one step further - I installed V8 Build 203 on a new computer that has never seen EFILive installed, reprogrammed the Autocal and it still gives a $050B error.

Regards,
BrianHi Brian, did you flash the firmware and do BBx Program All...?

VTuner
February 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Brian, did you flash the firmware and do BBx Program All...?

Thanks Joe, that was it - LOL! I did not realize this option was there in the drop down :thankyou2:

Cheers,
Brian

swingtan
February 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Found out something last night.

I'm actually still on RC5, but I doubt this issue will have changed in RC6 (I'll recheck today)

When attempting to BBL an E39 (2012 Commodore) I just get $0281 "No Data". E38 works fine (apart from no alarms) but nothing works for E39.

After the RC5 update, I did flash the firmware and formatted the config filesystem, then reconfigured the BBL pids and "saved all". so it seems it no longer can talk to the E39 controller. Today I'll try the following....

Update to RC6
Retry BBL
Attempt laptop logging E39
Attempt laptop logging T43
Attempt BBR E39
Attempt BBR T43
Attempt laptop read E39
Attempt laptop read T43

Simon.

swingtan
February 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
OK, nearly fried the V2..... But got some testing done.

I proved that with RC5, the following works.

BBR:

T43
E39

Laptop Logging

T43
E39 - Funny thing though, initially it didn't work as expected. Then after logging the T43 the E39 worked OK

So I was thinking it might be the E39 BBL script file. So I loaded up EFILive explorer to check the file versions on the V2.

Initially, EFIlive Explorer fired up but when checking the config file system, it hung. I checked the USB status and it looked fine, indicating that the V2 was connected by USB and was connected to the CAN bus on the car. So I figured a reboot of the V2 and disconnect from the car was in order, so I pulled the ODBII cable and reset the V2.

On reboot, I got the LED light show, then nothing, then all LEDs flash very fast ( IE, looked to be half on ). It looked like a power issue so I swapped USB ports. This gave me the initial LED light show, then the splash screen flashed on, then nothing. So I went for port 3, this got me to a running system, but the screen was very dull. EFILive explorer was able to read the config filesystem, so I grabbed a screen shot then powered down the V2. Just as well as it was very hot and probably about the fry a chip or three.

Back inside, I'm running the V2 off the USB port fine again.....

Anyway, the config filesystem showed the E39 script file is from 18/1/2013, so it seems to be the new version.

I'll try the RC6 files but thought there was probably no change.

Simon.

joecar
February 22nd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hi Simon,

what was going on with the V2 and the USB port(s)...?

swingtan
February 22nd, 2013, 08:05 PM
No idea Joe. I reckon the PSU in the V2 may have played up switching from 12V OBDII power to 5V USB. It's fine now though.... Just looking at RC6 to see if there is any difference.

swingtan
February 22nd, 2013, 09:34 PM
OK Got it.....

On RC6 (formatted config filesystem)

BBL of E39 only = OK
BBL of T43 only = OK

BBL of E39 & T43 = $0281 No Data

I don't have access to an E38&T43 ATM so I can't check if it's controller specific or combining controllers that causes issue.

I grabbed a trace from just after the $0281 error.

Simon.

Blacky
February 24th, 2013, 07:55 AM
OK Got it.....

On RC6 (formatted config filesystem)

BBL of E39 only = OK
BBL of T43 only = OK

BBL of E39 & T43 = $0281 No Data

I don't have access to an E38&T43 ATM so I can't check if it's controller specific or combining controllers that causes issue.

I grabbed a trace from just after the $0281 error.

Simon.

Have you seen Item #3 in the known issues list in the first post?
Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM
On reboot, I got the LED light show, then nothing, then all LEDs flash very fast ( IE, looked to be half on ). It looked like a power issue so I swapped USB ports. This gave me the initial LED light show, then the splash screen flashed on, then nothing. So I went for port 3, this got me to a running system, but the screen was very dull. EFILive explorer was able to read the config filesystem, so I grabbed a screen shot then powered down the V2. Just as well as it was very hot and probably about the fry a chip or three.

That is a concern, did the boot up failures occur while only connected to USB or while connected to both OBDII and USB?

Regards
Paul

swingtan
February 24th, 2013, 09:50 AM
RE: #3: Oops, no, I'd missed that...... But at least I confirmed that I could BBL the TCM. On second thoughts, The TCM started BBL, but there was no data / PIDs displayed, so maybe it didn't work after all.

RE: USB. I obviously had it connected via USB and ODBII when doing the pass through logging. When EFILive Explorer hung reading the config filesystem (something I can repeat easily), I pulled the OBDII cable to reset the V2 and power it off the USB, this is where it started playing up. It's never done it before but fro the next 5 min or so, I had all sorts of problems, ending up with the very hot case. Afterwards it was fine though and I've not been able to repeat the issue. The only thing that changed from outside to inside was the temperature. 33'C outside vs 25'C inside.

So....

Connected via OBDII and USB = Fine
Pulling OBDII and leaving USB in = Boot hang (All LEDs on followed by all LEDs flashing rapidly)
Swapping USB ports #1 = as above
Swapping USB ports #2 = Initial boot, brief splash screen (.5 sec but configured for 2s) then blank screen.
Swapping USB ports #3 = as above but with the very dull screen. I was able to read the config file system so it might have just been the screen contrast but I have a black case V2.

Leaving it to cool down returned normal operation.

Simon

Blacky
February 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM
E38 works fine (apart from no alarms)

Thanks for the reminder. Just fixed the alarms problem. I've listed it as known issue #8 in the first post.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
February 24th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks, I usually only notice it as start / stop on the E38 (oil pressure alarm) but on the E39 the KR alarm is a constant reminder..... Given I'm not logging the E39/T43, there's no rush :p

GMPX
February 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM
but on the E39 the KR alarm is a constant reminder.....
We are working on a new feature, plot the E39 knock retard PID in colour, seems to work pretty good too....

http://cosleyhouston.com/images/photos/alps-climb/zinal-panorama.jpg

swingtan
February 24th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Bwahahahaha, so true!

Actually, I don't need the V2 to alarm with the E39. On hot days I just need to turn down the radio and I here the engine ticking under load.

ScarabEpic22
February 24th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Bwahahahaha, so true!

Actually, I don't need the V2 to alarm with the E39. On hot days I just need to turn down the radio and I here the engine ticking under load.

That sounds absolutely fantastic for the engine...:nuke:

swingtan
February 24th, 2013, 05:08 PM
If it's pingin' it's singin'.......

I cringe every time I hear it. Funny thing is, it hardly registers any KR when I hear it!

kangsta
February 24th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Played with the scan tool somemore, really love the speed and the cross-hairs that extend horizontally.

Few Suggestions

- Could we be able to hide the LH side bar in the Scan tool so the charts are displayed at full screen width, I know it sounds trivial but we may aswell make full use of the screen to display charts
- When log files are open the zoom defaults to "Actual" instead of "All" it doesnt really mean much in a long log file to have it all compressed onto one screen. Unless there is a default setting for this I havent found.

Possible Bugs
- After AutoScaling a PID on the chart and saving the dashboard. If I exit the scan tool and reopen the same log with the same chart the scaling has cone back to default values, not what they were after autoscaling.
- If you have a PID with lots of digits. i.e. 4 sig figs the instantenous display can overlap the min value on the scale chart.

Blacky
February 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM
- Could we be able to hide the LH side bar in the Scan tool so the charts are displayed at full screen width, I know it sounds trivial but we may aswell make full use of the screen to display charts

You can make it smaller by selecting the main window menu: View->Hide Tab Descriptions. You can't make them disappear completely though.

- When log files are open the zoom defaults to "Actual" instead of "All" it doesnt really mean much in a long log file to have it all compressed onto one screen. Unless there is a default setting for this I havent found.

The zoom will default to display the whole file when a log file is opened, so you can see the whole log.
You can then select the range you are interested in, then just click in the range to zoom to just that range (click the x-axis to zoom out to the whole file again).

- After AutoScaling a PID on the chart and saving the dashboard. If I exit the scan tool and reopen the same log with the same chart the scaling has cone back to default values, not what they were after autoscaling.
Each y-axis in the charts has a fixed min/max and a working min/max. The fixed min/max is what you get when you load the file/chart. The fixed min/max is configured using the chart editor (right click on charts and select Options->Edit Dashboard).
The working min/max is something you can "play around with" without losing the fixed min/max. You can scroll the mouse wheel in the y-axis to scroll the min/max up/down, or hold the ctrl key and use the mouse wheel to expand/contract the scale (works in the chart data area as well to scroll/zoom the actual data left/right). At any time when you want to return a y-axis (or the x-axis) to its fixed min/max, just left-click on the axis.

- If you have a PID with lots of digits. i.e. 4 sig figs the instantenous display can overlap the min value on the scale chart.
Change the "Y-axis Size" in the Chart editor or reduce the number of significant digits displayed by selecting one or more y-axis's then changing their "Value Format" to %.xf where x is the number of decimal places to be displayed.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Release Candidate 1 has been made available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21842-EFILive-RC-1-%28March-01-2013%29&p=187132#post187132

FreshDA9
March 23rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
I am having a problem with this update. when i open V7 it will not open with my FSv2 plugged into my laptop. pre release 5 was fine. I also cannot go back to an older firmware on my handheld. can anyone point me in the right direction before i revert everything back to stable versions?

ScarabEpic22
March 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
I am having a problem with this update. when i open V7 it will not open with my FSv2 plugged into my laptop. pre release 5 was fine. I also cannot go back to an older firmware on my handheld. can anyone point me in the right direction before i revert everything back to stable versions?

First, install this: EFILive RC1 3/1/2013 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21842-EFILive-RC-1-(March-01-2013))

Then you MUST MANUALLY update the firmware using EFILive Explorer. Open EFILive Explorer, click the F12 Firmware tab, click "Browse", select the latest V2 fw file (2.07.35 with a date of 2/27/2013), click "Open", then click "Program".

FreshDA9
March 23rd, 2013, 04:54 PM
First, install this: EFILive RC1 3/1/2013 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21842-EFILive-RC-1-(March-01-2013))

Then you MUST MANUALLY update the firmware using EFILive Explorer. Open EFILive Explorer, click the F12 Firmware tab, click "Browse", select the latest V2 fw file (2.07.35 with a date of 2/27/2013), click "Open", then click "Program".

I just did this and V7 still will not load with flash scan plugged in.

ScarabEpic22
March 23rd, 2013, 05:01 PM
What OS are you using? XP or Vista/W7/8?

What happens, does it just not open or are you getting an error message?

Try using the old USB drivers, unplug your V2, open the EFILive USB Driver Manager. Click the "Uninstall USB Drivers" button, then click "Install USB V2.02.04" and reboot your PC.

Blacky
March 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Try using the old USB drivers, unplug your V2, open the EFILive USB Driver Manager. Click the "Uninstall USB Drivers" button, then click "Install USB V2.02.04" and reboot your PC.

This is most likely the best advice. On some configurations the newer USB drivers cause V7 to hang when it starts up. So reverting back to the older USB drivers may fix that problem.

Regards
Paul

FreshDA9
March 24th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I cant find the exact efilive usb manager. yes my FSv2 hangs up V7 when loading. thanks for helping

ScarabEpic22
March 24th, 2013, 01:08 PM
If you dont have it, you dont have V8 installed...

FreshDA9
March 24th, 2013, 01:16 PM
thought i had it fixed hooked to the truck had to update the status and have all 3 green checkmarks but now V7 hangs again.

Blacky
March 24th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Find the start menu item: Start->All Prgrams->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager, right click on "EFILive USB Manager" and select "Run as Administrator".

Regars
Paul

FreshDA9
March 25th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks Blacky I did that and V7 still hangs up with the FS plugged in.

I have tried deleteting and re installing all new stable releases for V7 and V8 nothing. I think its the Firmware on the Handheld itself. I cannot revert the firmware to any of the old firmware. anyone know how i can?

Blacky
March 25th, 2013, 04:19 PM
The firmware won't cause the EFILive software to hang.
You can't revert to older firmware, there's too many potential problems (internally within the FlashScan unit itself) with downgrading the firmware, so the software does not allow it.

Some trouble shooting steps.

1. Does the V8 software start and communicate with the FlashScan device correctly?

To test that, make sure no other EFILive software is running then start the EFILive control Panel like this: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Control Panel.
That will open a small FlashScan shaped icon in the system tray (at the end of the taskbar near the clock display).
Click on the FlashScan icon and then click on the [Status] button.

You should see 1, 2 or 3 green ticks.
The left tick indicates the USB drivers are installed and working.
The middle tick indicates the V8 software is able to communicate successfully with the FlashScan device.
The right tick indicates the V8 software has detected a vehicle connected to FlashScan.

Let me know what you see.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 25th, 2013, 06:30 PM
You can't revert to older firmware, there's too many potential problems (internally within the FlashScan unit itself) with downgrading the firmware, so the software does not allow it.

I should add that during the pre-release and release-candidate cycles, we try to keep the firmware version the same so that you can roll back to previous firmware, so long as the previous firmware's version number is identical.
Right now the RC1 firmware is V2.07.35 which is identical to the current public release available from our web site.

The only way to tell the various firmware versions apart is by the date. Right now, the current public release is V2.07.35, dated June 22, 2012. The RC1 firmware is V2.07.35, dated sometime in March 2103.

If you want to go back to the version dated June 22, 2012, use the EFILive Explorer program (available on the EFILive V8 start menu) and you can load the firmware file of your choice, so long as the version number is not earlier than what is already in your device.

Regards
Paul

joecar
March 26th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I cant find the exact efilive usb manager. yes my FSv2 hangs up V7 when loading. thanks for helping

I have V8 but with my handheld unplugged i dont see how to reset any drivers through the software. I guess what am i not finding that i should in V8.

Thanks Blacky I did that and V7 still hangs up with the FS plugged in.

...Use the USB Manager tool to uninstall the USB driver and install the older driver (as noted above).

First shutdown the V7 and V8 software and unplug FSV2 from your PC/laptop...

then (with FSV2 still unplugged) use the USB Manager tool to uninstall the USB driver and install the older USB driver...

then plug FSV2 into your PC/laptop.

FreshDA9
March 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
You should see 1, 2 or 3 green ticks.

The left tick indicates the USB drivers are installed and working. YES

The middle tick indicates the V8 software is able to communicate successfully with the FlashScan device.YES

The right tick indicates the V8 software has detected a vehicle connected to FlashScan.NO I dont have plugged into vehicle

Thank you Paul you can see i got 2 out of 3. it seems to be communicating fine just V7 is hanging up with the handheld plugged in.

FreshDA9
March 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Use the USB Manager tool to uninstall the USB driver and install the older driver (as noted above).

First shutdown the V7 and V8 software and unplug FSV2 from your PC/laptop...

then (with FSV2 still unplugged) use the USB Manager tool to uninstall the USB driver and install the older USB driver...

then plug FSV2 into your PC/laptop.

Joe I did this step for step and still hangs up with my handheld plugged in and V7.

FreshDA9
March 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Nevermind something changed and its working fine right now. Im going to go and flash my truck to be sure but V7 isnt hanging anymore

joecar
March 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Ok, glad you got it.

FreshDA9
March 27th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Ok, glad you got it.

Odd as i went through and edited my post apperently it did not edit.

V7 is still hanging up. I hooked up to my truck and got all 3 checkmarks when i hit the status button. after that I opened V7 and it hung up like before.

FreshDA9
March 28th, 2013, 01:43 PM
If you want to go back to the version dated June 22, 2012, use the EFILive Explorer program (available on the EFILive V8 start menu) and you can load the firmware file of your choice, so long as the version number is not earlier than what is already in your device.

Paul i Loaded June 22 2012 into the handheld. it will open V7 but it doesnt recognize the handheld is plugged in. when I put the laptop and handheld in my truck and check the status i get all 3 check marks. but when i load V7 it hangs up unless i unplug the handheld. and if i plug the handheld back in and try to flash my truck it freezes.

joecar
March 29th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Odd as i went through and edited my post apperently it did not edit.
You might see something like this if you go back in your web-browser.

joecar
March 29th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Paul i Loaded June 22 2012 into the handheld. it will open V7 but it doesnt recognize the handheld is plugged in. when I put the laptop and handheld in my truck and check the status i get all 3 check marks. but when i load V7 it hangs up unless i unplug the handheld. and if i plug the handheld back in and try to flash my truck it freezes.Did you revert the USB driver to the old one (see post #65 above)...?

FreshDA9
March 29th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Did you revert the USB driver to the old one (see post #65 above)...?

Yes

ScarabEpic22
March 29th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Have you tried 1) different USB ports and 2) a different PC? If you're having this many issues, it might be a PC problem either software or hardware.

Try installing everything on a different PC and see if you can open V7.5 that way. Ive had no issues on any of my PCs [2 laptops (HP, Lenovo), 4 desktops (all custom built by me using different mobos and USB chipsets), Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64].

Wait, are you trying to open V7.5 after you've already opened V8? You CANNOT have both V7.5 and V8 connect to your V2 at the same time, V8 will automatically override V7.5. Close V8, then try to open V7.5.

FreshDA9
March 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Have you tried 1) different USB ports and 2) a different PC? If you're having this many issues, it might be a PC problem either software or hardware.

Try installing everything on a different PC and see if you can open V7.5 that way. Ive had no issues on any of my PCs [2 laptops (HP, Lenovo), 4 desktops (all custom built by me using different mobos and USB chipsets), Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64].

Wait, are you trying to open V7.5 after you've already opened V8? You CANNOT have both V7.5 and V8 connect to your V2 at the same time, V8 will automatically override V7.5. Close V8, then try to open V7.5.

I havent tried another computer i can try my other laptop but I still think its something within the handheld.

I have already cleared out all the software and deleted all files associated. then followed up by cleaning out my ports by using FTDI.

No i do not have them both open. this is just an issue with V7 and the FSV2 handheld since this pre release 6, 5 worked fine.