PDA

View Full Version : E-Fan Outputs Question

Mikz86ta
February 15th, 2013, 09:28 AM
The PCM in question is a LS1B 1MB, 2003 model.
The truck had a clutch fan, but I swapped in a 2speed Taurus fan.
I currently run a hi-amp relay and a 'probe in rad fins' style thermo switch (with AC input) and only using the Lo speed on the 2 speed (single motor) fan.
I just picked up a Volvo dual realy (single in, dual trigger and dual output). The 2 input triggers need a grounded path to trigger the relay on. One input triggers the Lo out and the other the High. IIRC on the Volvo, the ECM senses from the CTSensor and turns on a predetermined temps. Alternatively you van use a 'threaded into water port' VW/Audi (late 90s) dual stage thermo switch to make this work on other vehicles as I am doing. BUT, the CTS is very big. Something like a 22mm thread. Wont tap to a SBC or 4.3 Block head.....and radiator isnt tapped for it either. Even the AutoMeter brand radiator hose adapter pipe is a small 1/8NPT and has to be tapped for the huge CTS.
I know in the EFI Live, there are all the On/Off, AC, Etc settings for stock cooling fans. I want to use that to my advantage to activate the relays 2 inputs.

Q1, is all the 1MB PCMs (blue/green plugs) circuits inside on the board there? So I need to have Question 2 answered for the correct pinout and pin those empty pin slots from a donor harness. And wire that to my Volvo relay input.
Q2, on a blue/green harness what pins are Fan 1 and Fan 2 outs? I found the answer for the older red plug PCMs :(
Q3, the out is a ground path correct? Low volt and enuff to trigger a realy?
Q4, do I need to also wire the AC Input as well so the Fan outs work also on command internally with the PCM when the AC compressor comes on?
Q5, what is that pin for the AC input?

Or where can I get a wire harness diagram? I have the one for my truck, but since those are not there (orig clutch fan), my manual schematic doesnt have those listed. Can I use the one from a LS1 Camaro or are all those the older color plugs? What vehicles with LS1B 1MB blue/green PCMs had e-fans? A C/K....Van...Holden??

Thx, Michel

400ss
March 3rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
For future reference:

LS1B Blue CONECTOR PIN 42; FAN 1 RELAY CONTROL (if you PCM does not have pin, just add one and tune for it.
Green connector: 33 FAN 2 RELAY CONTROL (if you PCM does not have pin, just add one and tune for it.

PCM will suply ground to activate the FAN 1 or FAN 2 Relay.

I will atach and image of how to wire the relays for dual fans and single 2 speed fan..

IF YOU WANT TO CONTROL THE FAN WITH THE AC, wire the stock Air conditioner HIgh pressure sensor, ecm will turn on the fan when detects high pressure on this sensor..

400ss
March 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Im allmost sure the BLUE/ GREEN PCM uses serial data to turn on the compressor, this is the reasson why to use the high pressure side sensor on the AC lines, when is high pressure on this sensor ECM will auto turn on the fans..

On the BLUE/RED PCM you can use one PIN on the PCM to turn on the compressor with the PCM,, i dont remember wich pin is, i will check

Mikz86ta
March 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Awesome! Prettymuch the Volvo Relay setup is 2 seperate grounding inputs. has the heavy gauge out Fan1 and heavy gauge out Fan2. And a single heavy gauge Input which supplies both F1/F2 outs and internally connects to the 86 on both internal relays. Pretty cool.
So basically I just needed 2 seperate grounding inputs to turn on the fan outs for Lo and Hi speed. They switch internally, so only F1 or F2 works at a time.
This way I can set F1 Out of the PCM at __Temp which will prob be around 185 or 190 to the Lo speed.
Then F2 Out of the PCM to the Hi speed at a emergency temp like 220 or 225.

Yes, the AC part I will have to figure out as well

Mikz86ta
March 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
My current setup I use a wire from my thermo adjust fan relay device that gets feed off the 12v Lt Blue or Green...I have to check on that again...(2003 S10) wire at the compressor clutch plug.
For reference

Mikz86ta
March 13th, 2013, 07:42 AM
For reference this is what I am tying to use.
Has a single heavy gauge In and 2 seperate Hi/Lo heavy gauge outs. The 2 smaller wires are the Hi and Lo seperate inputs that are Neg - triggered. S1 triggered and the relay inside allows the F1 output to Fan Low Speed to be tiggered. And S2 trigger will toggle Off the F1 and toggle on the F2.
Some guys use a Audi/VW dual out coolant sensor. But the thread size is huge and wont fit anywhere into my 4.3L block/heads.

So thus I am trying to use the PCMs outs to turn on the Volvo relay :)

-Volvo 2-speed fan relay.
This unit, along with the dual-temp thermoswitch, is the heart of the project.
It integrates two relays and internal switchgear to toggle from low to high speed fan output.
Here's what it looks like...
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

Mikz86ta
March 13th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Oops, pc didnt show up. Link : http://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generation-specific-1986-1992-17/wiring-taurus-2-speed-fan-839089/

Mikz86ta
March 13th, 2013, 07:47 AM
So ru saying ( I have blue - green LS1B for the record), that my PCM will already see when I turn the AC on?
Therefore I can just use the EFILive programming to turn on the fan when the AC is turned on by me?

I have quite a few settings in EFILive in terms of efans and ac input is a couple of them

400ss
March 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM
So ru saying ( I have blue - green LS1B for the record), that my PCM will already see when I turn the AC on?
Therefore I can just use the EFILive programming to turn on the fan when the AC is turned on by me?

I have quite a few settings in EFILive in terms of efans and ac input is a couple of them

You need to have the High Pressure sensor on the high pressure a/c line.. this way when you turn on the a/c ecm will turn ON fan when high pressure is detected,

Mikz86ta
March 13th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Do I wire that to my relay or to the PCM?

400ss
March 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Sorry if i didnt explain myself,, check the atached pics on post #2,, first you are going to wire it following the diagrams, then, you have to wire the a/c high pressure sensor to your ecm as the picture atached.. when the ac is ON the pressure on the line increase, the pressure sensor detects the pressure and the ecm turn the fans On,. sorry for my english if someone can explain what i want to explain feel free to do it

Mikz86ta
March 13th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Your English is fine, its just a matter of me gathering in if ur wiring the stock AC Press Switch wires to the PCM (if it isnt already) or to the aftermarket relays.
Thx for the pics and whatnot. Def helps a ton already. I just need to check on the truck tomorrow.

Im dealing with a split at the fuel pressure test port schrader valve on the fuel hard line under the hood right now :(. So the truck is down past 2 days. Trying to JB Weld it....a new line kit is like $120 my cost or more elsewhere. Extra cash I dont have onhand at the moment and its frustrating.
I did tinker at the PCM earlier. Found an extra pigtail/pin I added to the EGR (not orig used on my trk) from a donor PCM harness. I was going to orig use it for the wideband input but since hardwired it to my V1 box. So I have at least 1 spare PCM pin/pigtail wire I can move over to one for the e-fan output. Im trying to locate the other ones I got someplace...lol...just need a couple more dangit

400ss
March 13th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Your English is fine, its just a matter of me gathering in if ur wiring the stock AC Press Switch wires to the PCM (if it isnt already) or to the aftermarket relays.
Thx for the pics and whatnot. Def helps a ton already. I just need to check on the truck tomorrow.

Im dealing with a split at the fuel pressure test port schrader valve on the fuel hard line under the hood right now :(. So the truck is down past 2 days. Trying to JB Weld it....a new line kit is like $120 my cost or more elsewhere. Extra cash I dont have onhand at the moment and its frustrating.
I did tinker at the PCM earlier. Found an extra pigtail/pin I added to the EGR (not orig used on my trk) from a donor PCM harness. I was going to orig use it for the wideband input but since hardwired it to my V1 box. So I have at least 1 spare PCM pin/pigtail wire I can move over to one for the e-fan output. Im trying to locate the other ones I got someplace...lol...just need a couple more dangit

The high pressure sensor is wired directly to the PCM.. check if it is already wired, if it is, then you just need to tune for it on the A/C section on EFILIVE

Mikz86ta
March 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Oh ok sweet. Kinda what I suspected. IIRC mt AC HPS is 2 wire not 3. But I will recheck