PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to scan a 2006 equinox but i can't?

MattysTA
February 18th, 2013, 06:54 AM
From what i have seen this has the e40 style ecm. I want to scan it for dtc's but when i connect it the egine code icons/module icons are not highlighted. only the black box icons are? Wtf? Can someone please help me with this? I use this mostly for my trans am. seems like that's all this v1 is good for.

joecar
February 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Try changing the scan/log mode in the scantool properties.

GMPX
February 18th, 2013, 08:43 AM
From what i have seen this has the e40 style ecm.
In that case it's probably a P05 or P12 PCM so your V1 should work fine with it. If you try to connect as an E40 it won't work as the E40 uses the CAN bus for communications which the V1 does not support.
Try reconnecting the scantool with P12 selected.

I use this mostly for my trans am. seems like that's all this v1 is good for.
The V1 interface was designed years before GM switched over to the CAN bus, however, it should still work fine for scanning nearly all of GM's vehicles up to around 2006, from that point on GM started changed to CAN on some vehicles.

MattysTA
February 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will give it a try tomorrow.

MattysTA
February 19th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Well i tried it, Still nothing. I opened the tuner and tried to read the ecm and it's telling me i need a v2 cable. Wonderful. I'm trying to read dtc's and realtime data on my friend's, wife's car to track down this abs problem. So much for that.

Boost
February 19th, 2013, 01:50 AM
I have successfully worked with 2007 Equinox's in the past with EFILive. The '06 in not on the supported vehicles list, so if you are able to scan it at all it's a nice bouns.

MattysTA
February 19th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Were you using the v1 or v2? It's odd to me that it is not on the supported vehicle list along with a few other vehicles i have looked for in the past.

ScarabEpic22
February 19th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Were you using the v1 or v2? It's odd to me that it is not on the supported vehicle list along with a few other vehicles i have looked for in the past.

Boost has a V2. I believe those use a currently unsupported PCM (P05A or P05B), if connecting to them as a P12 does not work try connecting as Generic VPW PCM or Generic VPW ECM.

MattysTA
February 19th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Thanks Scarab, I have tried the Generic CAN ecm but no luck. I'll try the one you mentioned also and post the result.

ScarabEpic22
February 19th, 2013, 04:57 AM
It isnt a CAN ECM so Im not surprised that didnt work, try VPW and report back. Depending on which model Equinox it is you might have either a PCM or ECM/TCM configuration, so try both.

MattysTA
February 19th, 2013, 05:42 AM
No dice, I tried them all. I guess i'm sol. I can't spend the money on a scanner that does abs. Ugh.

ScarabEpic22
February 19th, 2013, 06:04 AM
No dice, I tried them all. I guess i'm sol. I can't spend the money on a scanner that does abs. Ugh.

Well EFILive cant do ABS stuff anyway...

MattysTA
February 19th, 2013, 06:08 AM
It pulls the abs codes out of my 2000 ws6...

ScarabEpic22
February 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM
It pulls the abs codes out of my 2000 ws6...

Only if the codes were stored in the PCM.

MattysTA
February 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Of course, I don't want to do anything with the abs besides pull the codes. I can however turn off the TC. I just wanted to pull any codes out of the equinox too. Has the good old abs applying when not needed syndrome.

GMPX
February 19th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Not knowing exactly what computer this car has doesn't help. If it is a later model ECM that is on the CAN bus then you are out of luck, your V1 will not communicate with the newer vehicles.