PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my first vve tune!

TJWells
February 25th, 2013, 03:36 PM
This is a log I did on my 06 z06. I pasted and multiply to b8101 and this porcupine is what I've got. HOW IN THE WORLD do I smooth this map? It's got as many spikes on the bottom as the top. Any Ideas?
I should have a screen shot of the map tonight. Still learning how!

TJWells
February 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Bump!:angel_innocent:

joecar
February 27th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Hi TJW,

I take it you've read the docs in post #68 here: E38-VVE-Setup-Guide (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide)

TJWells
February 27th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Yeah.
I read it and tried it. I went around the largest spikes at the base with 4%. Just afraid I'm correcting too much. went around the dips with -4% again how much is enough? after that I hit generate coeffs and vve and I have a nice smooth map, but compared to the factory map It's really smooth. is this right? and how much manual smoothing do i do?
BTW I have yet to save a corrected vve. this picture is of the rough untouched map.

swingtan
February 28th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I'll have a look at this in a bit and add some comments....

TJWells
February 28th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Thank you!
I appreciate it.:coool:

swingtan
February 28th, 2013, 10:16 PM
OK, looking at all the data, I'm thinking you probably didn't filter the log data, or there was only a little amount of log data. The spiky result is usually due to transients that haven't been averaged out.

With the E38, you really need a lot of consistent log data to get the VVE to shape up well. If taking logs while driving on the road, an absolute minimum of 30 minutes would be needed, 2 hours would be ideal. For the duration of the logging, you should use gentle acceleration and alter the gears to change RPM.

If on the dyno, then just bring up the BEN MAP and vary the dyno load and engine RPM to fill as many cells with as much data as possible.

It actually looks like you're on the right track though and the overall shape is starting to get there.

Simon.

joecar
February 28th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Simon, thanks for your analysis.

TJWells
March 1st, 2013, 04:39 AM
You're right, I did not know to use any filtering. What filter should I use and where would I learn what filtering to use when?
I logged that data on the road trying to vary loads slowly, hold it in gear and such trying to get a cell count of 50 as much as I could. Then my logging quit and gave a message that it ran out of memory allowed by the program setting or such. My partner read it to me while I was driving. Took about 30 to 40 minutes in all. I was hoping it was spikey because of no filter. at least I'm starting to get my head around it!

Thank you Simon!

joecar
March 1st, 2013, 05:23 AM
Look at the BEN filter... you may have to edit it to use pids supported by your ECM/OS.

joecar
March 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM
Are you logging from laptop or from V2/BBL...?

swingtan
March 1st, 2013, 12:06 PM
one of the traits of the VVE is that it will do some pretty heavy blending when generating the co-efficients. This can be good or bad, depending on what you're trying to achieve. In your case, it would blend out the spikes and probably be OK for another log session.

Otherwise, you need to read up on the Log tool filtering (in the help section). Then filter out sections where the ECT is below 80'C and where the throttle is moving to fast. As Joecar says, use the BEN filter as starting point.

RE: the log ending, I can suggest the following.....

You were logging to internal memory, which has a 2MB limit. This would relate to about 30min to 40min of log time.
The SD card ejected during the log. The V2 would have beeped and the log would get truncated to the last write operation, which would have left a file on the SD card, but it wouldn't be quite complete.
If logging via "pass-through" (on the laptop), then maybe your partner hit a key accidentally and stopped the log.

whatever the reason, 30 min of logging from a cold start is probably not enough data anyway. You want at least that much after the car has come up to full operating temp.

Simon.

TJWells
March 1st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joe, I'm logging from my laptop.
Simon, how much time is enough, and do I have to try to fill every cell when logging?
BTW when I adjust my maf which map am I adjusting? I.E. I use B8101 for vve what do I use for maf?

joecar
March 2nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
You can configure V2 to do BBL (black box logging... i.e. with no PC/laptop)...

see here: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

TJWells
March 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Tried BBL once before and had a problem reading the log from the v2. However I think I fixed that and I will try again. That is part of the reason I purchased EFI Live. However the tutorial you mentioned refers to v7 build 222 and v8 build 215. I can't find these My bootblock and firmware are correct, but my versions are v7/211 and v8/203. Am I good?

joecar
March 3rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
See this: EFILive-RC-1-March-01-2013 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?21842-EFILive-RC-1-%28March-01-2013%29)

you will need to use EFILive Explorer to flash in the latest dated firmware 2.7.35.

swingtan
March 3rd, 2013, 09:26 PM
As mentioned earlier, on the street, 30 minutes once the engine is up to running temp is the bare minimum, 2 hours would be much better.

On the dyno, fill as many cells as you can with as much data as you can. It's pretty easy on the dyno so you may as well get lots of data.

TJWells
March 4th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joe,
You are the man! That update just came out 3/1/2013!
You and Simon ever need a favor from a GM parts mgr. let me know. I'd be glad to dig up info for you.

joecar
March 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM
TJW, you got BBL working it seems... :cheers:

TJWells
March 5th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Yes Joe,
works great and a lot less cumbersome. I still have to figure out the filter yet but I'm working on it. I really like the pid selection for v8 now. Seems like theres a clearrer list of choices. Scanning looks interesting too. BBL is much easier than last time I tried.

joecar
March 5th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Yes Joe,
works great and a lot less cumbersome. I still have to figure out the filter yet but I'm working on it. I really like the pid selection for v8 now. Seems like theres a clearrer list of choices. Scanning looks interesting too. BBL is much easier than last time I tried.In BBx, on the Scan tab, delete all the pidslists for ECM/TCM other than yours, on Tune tab delete ECM/TCM other than yours... then in the Scan tab create pid lists for your various logging requirements, e.g. VE and MAF tuning, misfire monitoring, injector/trim monitoring, transmission stuff, etc.