PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if this will work?? Colorado LSA 6 speeds transmission

400ss
February 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Im working on a 2012 Chevrolet colorado, it originally was 5.3L 4L65E,, right now it has a 6.2L cadillac CTS LSA engine and same 4L65E transmission..

The owner wants a 6L80E on it, he just wants it..

As the colorado uses the E67 ECM the only calibration compatible that i know E67/T43 is the cadillac CTS but i almost sure that the others electronics of the colorado wont gonna like that ECM/TCM calibration, besides i need to keep the 4x4 transfer..

What i have in mind is if i can leave the current ECM E67 and TCM T42 wired to the truck just as it is now just remove the outputs pins like the injectors, coils, trans solenoids.......wire a e38/6L80e wire harness and FSCM from a 4x4 SILVERADO and feed the inputs wires of the E67 to make work the dash ABS and all that stuff,,, im going to try to explain myself, i want to control the engine and the new 6L80E trans whit a 6.2L/6L80E E38/T43 like a stand alone system, wire up the crank sensor, cam sensor, temp sensor and so on to the E67 to make work the dash and all that stuff

Basically there is gonna be a E38/T43 to control the ENGINE/TRANS and the e67/t42 to make work the dash and otrer electronics

sorry for my english thanks in advance

ScarabEpic22
February 27th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Get in touch with Jesse at TBMSport, he has these 6L80E/6L90E swaps figured out.

http://tbmsport.com/6l80gm6spdinformation.html

If only we can get the 6L80/90Es to live a long time with 700+awhp in a 5000lb brick life will be great and I will have one in my TBSS.

400ss
February 28th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Get in touch with Jesse at TBMSport, he has these 6L80E/6L90E swaps figured out.

http://tbmsport.com/6l80gm6spdinformation.html

If only we can get the 6L80/90Es to live a long time with 700+awhp in a 5000lb brick life will be great and I will have one in my TBSS.

GREAT..!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH..!! I search but couldnt find something like that.!!! thank you very much :D

ScarabEpic22
February 28th, 2013, 08:06 AM
No problem, hope it works out for you! Let us (me) know what the customer ends up doing.

joecar
February 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Interesting combination, hope it works.

tokymon
February 28th, 2013, 11:32 AM
yo should be able to keep a 6l80/6l90 together look at patc the are putting glide clutches in them

400ss
February 28th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Today i sent an Email to TrueBlueMotorsport and they sent me the response really fast, i send them some more info about the combo and im waiting for an answer, i will let you know the answer.. THanks everyone, sorry for my english, feel free to correct it if needed

blindawg
January 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM
What Did you find out with this?

Thanks,
Branden

400ss
January 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I ended doing all the work myself, that was my first 6L80e conversion, i just remove the harness remove the 4L65E harness part and tcm,, converted the harness for the 6L80E and the trans worked just like that, the ecm was a E67 it has a stock calibration for the 4L65 and the 6L80e i installed has its own calibration, both computers have diferent VIN numbers and calibration from diferent cars and it worked perfectly, i just did some tuning on the TCM but was not necesary, then i converted a silverado to 6L80 and did 2 engine swap using L92 engines, all conversions was with diferent calibrations on ECM and TCM, i dont know if it was lucky but all the times it worked just fine, i didnt need to flash with tech2 same VIN number, (tech2 uses the VIN to install the calibration, if you need help or any question leet me know i will help i been learning cause i case a shop that mostly do engine swaps, and most of the time people like LS engine so i need to sttudy each time i work on an engine swap

turbo_bu
January 13th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the update. Do you happen to have any more details about which calibrations you were having success with? Like which 6L80E OS and calibration was in the TCM that you were able to use with the Colorado??? or any of the L92 swaps that you were able to make work?

400ss
January 13th, 2014, 07:20 AM
-This combo is on a S10: 5.3L AFM No VVT,2009 OS:12630501 6L80E (Came from a camaro) 2010 OS:24249179
-This one is on a TJ Jeep: 6.2L VVT, 2007 OS:12614088 6L80E 2009 OS:24249179
-I dont have right now the other ones ive done but let me look for those tunes

400ss
January 13th, 2014, 07:25 AM
The 6L80E NEEDS: 12V constant, 12v Ignition, Ground, It has 2 pairs of Data BUS wires, Tan and Tan/black, You can wire both Tans to just one Tan and the Tan/black to just one tan/black then tun those to the ECM Data BUS wires, and the 6L80E has one wire that is orange/black that one is the Park/neutral signal to the ECM, and i think it has a TOS signal too, trans output speed or somethig like that, i can check it if you need that info

04colyZQ8
January 13th, 2014, 07:07 PM
-This combo is on a S10: 5.3L AFM No VVT,2009 OS:12630501 6L80E (Came from a camaro) 2010 OS:24249179
-This one is on a TJ Jeep: 6.2L VVT, 2007 OS:12614088 6L80E 2009 OS:24249179
-I dont have right now the other ones ive done but let me look for those tunes

Please I'd love more info on this! I am helping swap a 6L80E for a friend we would like to use the 2009 5.3L Colorado E67 PCM to start with. Did you leave the T42 in place? Did the PRNDL function properly? Are you able to read both PCM and T43 together?

400ss
January 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Please I'd love more info on this! I am helping swap a 6L80E for a friend we would like to use the 2009 5.3L Colorado E67 PCM to start with. Did you leave the T42 in place? Did the PRNDL function properly? Are you able to read both PCM and T43 together?

The colorado i worked on was a 2012 model and the 6l80E was a 2011 or 2012 model im not sure it was from a 5.3L 6L80E Silveado,, you need to remove the engine harness, it has integrated the trans harness,, you need to remove all the wires of the T42, then you need to convert it to 6L80E harness, it is simple. im pretty sure it will work just fine, if the colorado you are working on is a 2009 model, just try to use a 09 6L80E or you can flash it with a Tech2 for a 09 calibration,, everything will work perfectly, PRNDL, cruise control and everything, the only thing that is not gonna work is the Manual mode or Sport mode , you can make it work but you need the pads and the silverado BCM and is more work, You need to read the ECM and then the TCM or the TCM and then the PCM, because they are diferent modules, if cant do the Harness part i can do it for you for free, you just need to pay the shipment, right now im on mexico but i can do it you just need to send it to me, i dont have nothing to do right now so im bored,, if you want to keep the 4x4 buttons you need to keep the colorado transfer you need to take the trans to a trans shop and tell them to remove the trans output shaft take the output shaft to a machining shop and give them the transfer and the output shaft tell them to machine the shaft to fit on the input of the transfer

04colyZQ8
January 13th, 2014, 10:12 PM
The colorado i worked on was a 2012 model and the 6l80E was a 2011 or 2012 model im not sure it was from a 5.3L 6L80E Silveado,, you need to remove the engine harness, it has integrated the trans harness,, you need to remove all the wires of the T42, then you need to convert it to 6L80E harness, it is simple. im pretty sure it will work just fine, if the colorado you are working on is a 2009 model, just try to use a 09 6L80E or you can flash it with a Tech2 for a 09 calibration,, everything will work perfectly, PRNDL, cruise control and everything, the only thing that is not gonna work is the Manual mode or Sport mode , you can make it work but you need the pads and the silverado BCM and is more work, You need to read the ECM and then the TCM or the TCM and then the PCM, because they are diferent modules, if cant do the Harness part i can do it for you for free, you just need to pay the shipment, right now im on mexico but i can do it you just need to send it to me, i dont have nothing to do right now so im bored,, if you want to keep the 4x4 buttons you need to keep the colorado transfer you need to take the trans to a trans shop and tell them to remove the trans output shaft take the output shaft to a machining shop and give them the transfer and the output shaft tell them to machine the shaft to fit on the input of the transfer

OK thanks, I'm helping another member from a Colorado forum, but he may take you up on that offer. So you can completely remove the T42? Do you have the pinouts for the trans handy? What gear is it in when you shift into L? How do you put it into say gears 5 and 6? So do you wire Can hi and Can lo from the PCM to the trans, and the PNP signal, and it all works? That's really cool! Thanks again for all your help so far!

400ss
January 14th, 2014, 04:56 AM
OK thanks, I'm helping another member from a Colorado forum, but he may take you up on that offer. So you can completely remove the T42? Do you have the pinouts for the trans handy? What gear is it in when you shift into L? How do you put it into say gears 5 and 6? So do you wire Can hi and Can lo from the PCM to the trans, and the PNP signal, and it all works? That's really cool! Thanks again for all your help so far!

Im gonna try to explain about the harness part, you need to remove the engine harness, remove the harness cover, completely remove the T42 connector and harness the only wires you need from the T42 connector are; 2 pairs of CAN bus wires each pair are TAN/Black and TAN, you need the ignition voltage this one should be pink or pink/black, you need ground, must be black/white, you need constant 12v this one should be red, and you need the park/neutral signal this one should be orange/black, and accesory wakeup signal, this one should be dark blue, and i think you need the stop lamp signal on some 6L80E,, now with those wires you make the harness for the 6l80E and done

04colyZQ8
January 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Im gonna try to explain about the harness part, you need to remove the engine harness, remove the harness cover, completely remove the T42 connector and harness the only wires you need from the T42 connector are; 2 pairs of CAN bus wires each pair are TAN/Black and TAN, you need the ignition voltage this one should be pink or pink/black, you need ground, must be black/white, you need constant 12v this one should be red, and you need the park/neutral signal this one should be orange/black, and accesory wakeup signal, this one should be dark blue, and i think you need the stop lamp signal on some 6L80E,, now with those wires you make the harness for the 6l80E and done

Sounds straight forward! Thanks a lot! Did you ever make any vids of the truck? I'd love to hear a Colorado 6 speed shifting! That would be sweet!

400ss
January 14th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Sounds straight forward! Thanks a lot! Did you ever make any vids of the truck? I'd love to hear a Colorado 6 speed shifting! That would be sweet!

Yeah thats cool, but it sounds alot better cause it is runing a 6.2L LSA SC engine with 15lbs of boost plus the 6L80 :D

04colyZQ8
January 14th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Yeah thats cool, but it sounds alot better cause it is runing a 6.2L LSA SC engine with 15lbs of boost plus the 6L80 :D

OK it would be cruel to not make a video! I'd love to see either pictures or a build thread if you have one? These trucks are my passion, I have a 04 with a 4.8L V8 5 speed

turbo_bu
January 17th, 2014, 06:39 AM
400ss, Thanks for sharing with us what you have done. One thing that I am still a little curious about is that some people have mentioned using the Corvette 6L80E OS since it has inputs for the tap up/down shifting without using the BCM ??? The one post that talks about this mentioned using a 2009 OS. Maybe other years of Vette TCM's are similar?

400ss
February 9th, 2014, 04:10 AM
If it is from a A6 corvette they should be similar, i havent done the paddle shifters on any 6L80E yet, you need the corvette tune and you need some kind of circuit that contains some resistors or something like that i been searching a lot on the web to try to find how to acomplish that circuit but it seems like people dont want to share it,, speartech sells that circuit inside a litle box, so you can use any tap shifts or a momentary push button,

400ss, Thanks for sharing with us what you have done. One thing that I am still a little curious about is that some people have mentioned using the Corvette 6L80E OS since it has inputs for the tap up/down shifting without using the BCM ??? The one post that talks about this mentioned using a 2009 OS. Maybe other years of Vette TCM's are similar?

LSTOYS
April 27th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Bringing this back from the dead. Did you figure out the tap shifters? Also, for the LSA, did you use the Colorado E67 ECM and OS or the CTS-V ECM and OS?

400ss
April 28th, 2017, 03:41 AM
Bringing this back from the dead. Did you figure out the tap shifters? Also, for the LSA, did you use the Colorado E67 ECM and OS or the CTS-V ECM and OS?

with the correct resistors and wiring it correctly and with the correct trans tune it should work, and about the colorado i did used colorado E67, OS because colorado E67 has can bus and serial data to keep everything working correctly

OEMOBDII
November 7th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Bringing this back from hibernation again because I am doing it now. 400ss, thank you so much for your input on this, because of this thread I am now upgrading the 4L60e in my 2009 Colorado factory 5.3L 4x4 to a 6L80e. Your info and experience was super valuable. If you are still on here, or for anybody else that has done this swap in this vehicle, please check my thinking on the only remaining concerns below, thanks. As a reminder, these trucks are E67 / T42 / CAN and serial bus. I'll be exchanging the T42 for T43 of the same year, 2009:

1. Did the Colorado vehicle speedometer work after your transmission swap? The stock VSS sensor on the transfer case of my 4x4 truck feeds into my T42, of which the T42 will be removed. T43 has a replicated TOS wire into E38 on its original vehicle (2009 Cadillac Escalade), but I am not using E38, I am using my stock E67 same as you did. Is VSS just "output shaft speed" sensor for proper T42 operation, not for vehicle speed display? I thought cluster vehicle speed was simply 4 ABS channels averaged?

2. You say the PRNDL display worked correctly after swap. How? T42 (external) and T43 (internal) must send same CAN data to BCM / IP for PRNDL display?

3. T43 also has a serial "wake up" signal wire. Is this required? Leave no connect, hook to bus, or switched ignition? Try to find on E67 and connect it?

I am in the process now of having a 6L80e to Colorado transfer case adapter custom CNC machined. If anybody else needs one, I'd be happy to make another for cost. TBMS was doing this for a brief period but has stopped responding to most inquiries, so doing myself.

Thanks all, especially 400ss for his contribution on this.

400ss
November 8th, 2019, 05:15 AM
Bringing this back from hibernation again because I am doing it now. 400ss, thank you so much for your input on this, because of this thread I am now upgrading the 4L60e in my 2009 Colorado factory 5.3L 4x4 to a 6L80e. Your info and experience was super valuable. If you are still on here, or for anybody else that has done this swap in this vehicle, please check my thinking on the only remaining concerns below, thanks. As a reminder, these trucks are E67 / T42 / CAN and serial bus. I'll be exchanging the T42 for T43 of the same year, 2009:

1. Did the Colorado vehicle speedometer work after your transmission swap? YES IT DOES WORKS The stock VSS sensor on the transfer case of my 4x4 truck feeds into my T42, of which the T42 will be removed. T43 has a replicated TOS wire into E38 on its original vehicle (2009 Cadillac Escalade), but I am not using E38, I am using my stock E67 same as you did. Is VSS just "output shaft speed" sensor for proper T42 operation, not for vehicle speed display? I thought cluster vehicle speed was simply 4 ABS channels averaged?
Do you have the diagrams for your truck? i can take a look to help you better.

2. You say the PRNDL display worked correctly after swap. How? T42 (external) and T43 (internal) must send same CAN data to BCM / IP for PRNDL display?
The T42 has the gear selector externally , but wires goes to the T42 TCM, the 6L80E has it internally already wired to the T43 TCM, then it goes trought canbus i think, but it works.

3. T43 also has a serial "wake up" signal wire. Is this required? Leave no connect, hook to bus, or switched ignition? Try to find on E67 and connect it?
If your E67 has the wire, use it.

I am in the process now of having a 6L80e to Colorado transfer case adapter custom CNC machined. If anybody else needs one, I'd be happy to make another for cost. TBMS was doing this for a brief period but has stopped responding to most inquiries, so doing myself.

Thanks all, especially 400ss for his contribution on this.

get some diagrams for your colorado and the diagrams for the trans u scored, and i will help you better. its not that hard, the hard part is the mechanical job of installing trans etc..
I dont remember the wires at the moment, but all of them are already on your truck, just need to hook ones and relocate others.

OEMOBDII
November 8th, 2019, 05:43 AM
OK, thank you for responding. I have a commercial subscription to AllData, so I can quickly pull wiring diagrams for everything and have done so for both my truck and the 2009 Escalade of which the 6L80 came from. The wiring changes line up with what you said you did.

If it worked for you then it should work for mine as well. I do have the wiring figured out, looks pretty simple. I have also researched the T43 wakeup serial signal, this looks to just be ignition switched 12V power. Not used on my Colorado E67, but I will see if it is on other E67 and possibly apply it. The PRNDL display via bus must be the same protocol via T42 and T43 then. Cool.

T-case adapter getting machined now. Can't wait to do this. Thanks again. I also up-flashed the 2007 T43 OS to 2009 via GM TIS2WEB service, as we also have an MDI here at work. So now it should communicate easily with my 2009 E67, both being same year.

If I get it all working, I may change the T43 OS to the Corvette tune and hardwire the tap-up/down shifting.

OEMOBDII
November 8th, 2019, 06:05 AM
So I just unplugged the output shaft speed sensor on my transfer case, as this will go away once I switch to the 6L80/T43, and my speedometer quit working. I somehow hope the T43 is sending vehicle speed same as the T42 to the ECM and IP. Don't need it to read or work correctly in transfer case low range, just in normal 2WD and 4x4 hi range.

I'll need to study how the speed is routed from my t-case output speed sensor to the T42, then to the ECM and IP, and try to figure out how the T43 will be doing so as well. Wonder if I can simply patch the transfer case output speed sensor into my ECM as a replicated TOS such as the T43 has this signal out?

400ss
November 8th, 2019, 06:46 AM
OK, thank you for responding. I have a commercial subscription to AllData, so I can quickly pull wiring diagrams for everything and have done so for both my truck and the 2009 Escalade of which the 6L80 came from. The wiring changes line up with what you said you did.

If it worked for you then it should work for mine as well. I do have the wiring figured out, looks pretty simple. I have also researched the T43 wakeup serial signal, this looks to just be ignition switched 12V power. Not used on my Colorado E67, but I will see if it is on other E67 and possibly apply it. The PRNDL display via bus must be the same protocol via T42 and T43 then. Cool.

T-case adapter getting machined now. Can't wait to do this. Thanks again. I also up-flashed the 2007 T43 OS to 2009 via GM TIS2WEB service, as we also have an MDI here at work. So now it should communicate easily with my 2009 E67, both being same year.

If I get it all working, I may change the T43 OS to the Corvette tune and hardwire the tap-up/down shifting.

if your truck does not has wake up signal, its ok, dont need it

OEMOBDII
November 8th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I may be OK. If the T43 is not sending the vehicle speed over the bus to the ECM, then it looks like the E67 does accept VSS input directly on the C3 connector ( in Cadillac CTS-V configs). So, as long as that would work with my Colorado OS, which it looks like is editable in aftermarket tuning, then that could also be a solution for me.