PDA

View Full Version : EFILive RC 1 (March 01, 2013)

Blacky
February 28th, 2013, 08:57 AM
The latest EFILive software is now available as Release Candidate 1 for all EFILive customers.

EFILive encourages customers to use this release in their production environments.
This release is scheduled to become the official public release.

Download here:
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.7.222_RC1_Setup.exe
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.2.215_RC1_Setup.exe

Significant new features:

Installer

Installer can now be run as a regular user with UAC (User Account Control) active without using the right-click "Run as administrator" option.

V7.5

Option to export all calibration data to Excel, use File->Export Calibration Data
Option to export calibration comparison to Excel, use [Export] button on calibration compare screen.

V8

Scan Tool Dashboard is operational for opening, displaying and saving log files.
Log file information can be viewed/updated by selecting: Config button drop down menu: Display/Change Log File Info (Ctrl+I)
Notes are per log file now not per installation, so different log files can have different descriptions for the same note number. Note numbers are limited to 0 thru 9 and 30 (30 is the note added to the log file when you press FlashScan's/AutoCal's OK button to pause/resume a BB log). Notes: 0..3 are added when you press F1..F4 on FlashScan's keypad and 4..7 are added when you press Ctrl+F1..Ctrl+F4. Notes can be added/deleted in the V8 scan tool by right-clicking on the charts.
Charts support searching and filtering.
Charts support setting a start and stop position for playback.
Charts support real-time or accelerated playback.
Charts support playback looping.
Navigating charts:

Highlight a section and left-click it to zoom to that selection.
Left-click the X-axis to zoom out to the entire log.
Roll the mouse scroll wheel up/down while hovering over an axis to move the axis up/down (or hover over the chart area to scroll the chart data left/right).
Hold the Ctrl key and roll the mouse scroll wheel up/down while hovering over an axis to change the axis zoom factor (or hover over the chart area to change the data zoom factor).
Left click in any axis to restore the default zoom and scale.
Hover mouse over axis-statistics when a selection is made to see a description of what the statistic represents (min, avg, max etc) and to have that statistic displayed on the chart.

Right-click on the charts to access additional chart options.
Dashboard gauges are active and will display logged data, however the gauge editing/customization option is not available yet.
LB7 and LLY auto-locking has been implemented.
Calculated PIDs support has been added. Pre-defined calculated PIDs can't be changed. Access calculated PIDs by selecting: Config button drop down menu: Calculated PIDs (Ctrl+K)
Custom Units can be defined - see Edit->Properties->General->Units
A skeleton V8 user manual is included, see the V8 start menu under documents, or select the menu Help->Help.
PID selections can be copied/pasted between Scan Tool and BBX windows.
Added read & flash support for 2013 E39A ECM.
Added DMA PID's for all E39 & E39A OS's
Existing/saved window sizes and positions and other user defined config data may be lost when upgrading to this pre-release. That is because older software versions saved/update their configuration (*.ini) files into the "Program Files" folder. The software now loads/stores the *.ini files from the user's Documents folder.

New ECM Read Support for V8

E20 DCM3.7AP ECM - 2011+ Cruze, Captiva, Orlando Diesel's (non USA models)

1996 - 2007 '3800 V6' PCM's

E16 Motorola PCM (mid 2000's 4 cyl)

Please note: Providing read support for controllers does not indicate EFILive's intention to add full tuning support. Tuning support for those controllers is still being evaluated.

Firmware

You must manually update the firmware in your FlashScan and AutoCal devices using the firmware option in EFILive Explorer.
During the release-candidate stage, the firmware version will remain at V2.07.35 (the same as the current public release). That allows customers to easily revert back to the current public release firmware if this release-candidate firmware causes "show stopping" problems.
You can determine which firmware is in your device by the firmware date. The release-candidate version has a date of Feb 28 2013, the current public release has a date of June 22, 2012.

What is not included in this release:

The Cummins switchable tune (CSP5) feature is not included in RC1.
The DPF/EGR restrictions for US based customers are not part of RC1
Pass-thru logging using the V8 software is not included in RC1 (use V7.5 for pass-thru logging duties).
Tune file editing using the V8 software is not included in RC1(use V7.5 for tune file editing duties).

Bug Fixes:
Many bugs that have been reported over the past 6 months have been fixed in this release. If you have reported a bug but discover that it has not been fixed or has only been partially fixed in this update, please report the bug again in this thread.

Known Issues:

Please post issues, questions, clarifications (large or small) in this thread.
As issues are reported and confirmed they will be re-posted as "Known Issues" below.

Regards
The EFILive Development Team

tokymon
March 1st, 2013, 07:00 AM
sub'd

joecar
March 1st, 2013, 07:56 AM
Everyone, please take note:

. . .
Firmware

You must manually update the firmware in your FlashScan and AutoCal devices using the firmware option in EFILive Explorer.
During the release-candidate stage, the firmware version will remain at V2.07.35 (the same as the current public release). That allows customers to easily revert back to the current public release firmware if this release-candidate firmware causes "show stopping" problems.
You can determine which firmware is in your device by the firmware date. The release-candidate version has a date of Feb 28 2013, the current public release has a date of June 22, 2012.

. . .

swingtan
March 2nd, 2013, 12:10 AM
OK, I ran this for a bit today and had only one minor issue.

If you insert an SD card while the "config" filesystem is being programmed, V8 Scan&Tune loses access to the filesystem and aborts the update. Probably not a massive issue and I probably should have inserted the SD card ( I just stuck it in while waiting for the programing to complete), but I thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise logging an ECM&TCM works fine (E39/T43)

Simon.

Duramax 6.6L
March 2nd, 2013, 02:41 AM
Installed and using

Blacky
March 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
OK, I ran this for a bit today and had only one minor issue.

If you insert an SD card while the "config" filesystem is being programmed, V8 Scan&Tune loses access to the filesystem and aborts the update. Probably not a massive issue and I probably should have inserted the SD card ( I just stuck it in while waiting for the programing to complete), but I thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise logging an ECM&TCM works fine (E39/T43)

Simon.

Interesting... I'll look into it. What do you have for the File sys setting?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
If you insert an SD card while the "config" filesystem is being programmed, V8 Scan&Tune loses access to the filesystem and aborts the update. Simon.

Ok, found the problem. Looks like I made an naive assumption about what should happen when the SD Card is removed or inserted (its been like that since day 1).

There are three file systems in FlashScan:
1. Config
2. Data Internal
3. Data External (i.e. SD Card).

Currently when the SD Card is inserted or removed, the firmware simply sets the file system to Data Internal if it is removed or Data External if it is inserted - even if the file system is currently set to Config. That causes the Config file system to be dismounted which as you experienced will cause any in-progress operations on the Config file system to be aborted.

I'll change it to ignore the SD Card insert/remove event if the file system is currently "Config". Then later if/when the file system is changed form Config to Data, the firmware will automatically figure out which Data file system to use: internal or external depending on the status of the SD Card.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
March 2nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
So it works correctly when you are accessing either Data Internal or External, but if you are reading/writing to Config and make a change to the Data External, it auto defaults to Data Internal? If so, makes sense to me!

See that's not a bug, its an added "feature" that just hasnt been found until now! :D

30 RUM
March 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Ok I hate to ask, will this get rid of the option to do deletes on the 07 and up trucks. I haven't had time to follow the boards latley. Thanx.

darcy
March 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Ok I hate to ask, will this get rid of the option to do deletes on the 07 and up trucks. I haven't had time to follow the boards latley. Thanx.

From the 1st post in this thread you look to be ok.

What is not included in this release:

The Cummins switchable tune (CSP5) feature is not included in RC1.
The DPF/EGR restrictions for US based customers are not part of RC1
Pass-thru logging using the V8 software is not included in RC1 (use V7.5 for pass-thru logging duties).
Tune file editing using the V8 software is not included in RC1(use V7.5 for tune file editing duties).

swingtan
March 3rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Ok, found the problem. Looks like I made an naive assumption about what should happen when the SD Card is removed or inserted (its been like that since day 1).

There are three file systems in FlashScan:
1. Config
2. Data Internal
3. Data External (i.e. SD Card).

Currently when the SD Card is inserted or removed, the firmware simply sets the file system to Data Internal if it is removed or Data External if it is inserted - even if the file system is currently set to Config. That causes the Config file system to be dismounted which as you experienced will cause any in-progress operations on the Config file system to be aborted.

I'll change it to ignore the SD Card insert/remove event if the file system is currently "Config". Then later if/when the file system is changed form Config to Data, the firmware will automatically figure out which Data file system to use: internal or external depending on the status of the SD Card.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul, I had a suspicion it was probably me finding something that was a pretty unlikely event.

swingtan
March 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Still having an issue with EFILive explorer reading anything off the V2.

The only way I can read firmware / config / splash screen etc, is to start EFILive explorerwith the V2 connected Via USB, and then reset the V2.

If I start EFILive explorer without the V2 connected, I have to click on the "V2" icon to get EFILive exploere to attempt to connect, at this point it hangs with a "waiting" mouse cursor.

If I connect the V2 and then start EFILive explorer, it will start and then hang when attempting to update whatever page it ones with.

Resetting the V2 (<CNTRL> + Cancel) or pulling the USB cable restores access to EFILive explorer. Then If i refresh the current data, it reads the V2 fine.

Opening he EFILive control panel, shows the USB frame count TX and RX rapidly increasing while EFILive explorer is in the "hung" state.

Simon

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I dont know when the E67 tables will be updated, but for my 2008 TBSS OS 12618164 I dont have the TCS MAF patch (cant remember the exact terminology and dont have my V2 handy to plug in and check). I know the 2007 TBSS OS 12611938 has this patch.

I know I had to adjust the torque model when I went MAF less on the 07 OS, but I dont know if the patch is needed on the 08 OS or not.

GMPX
March 4th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I thought all the E38/E67 OS's had the patch, I guess we missed one (or two). We need to re-release the E38/E67 calz files pretty soon with an update to fix a few table errors, so I'll check the TCS patch out before then.

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I thought all the E38/E67 OS's had the patch, I guess we missed one (or two). We need to re-release the E38/E67 calz files pretty soon with an update to fix a few table errors, so I'll check the TCS patch out before then.

Ill double-check when I get home, but I dont think it did.

Blacky
March 4th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Still having an issue with EFILive explorer reading anything off the V2.

The only way I can read firmware / config / splash screen etc, is to start EFILive explorerwith the V2 connected Via USB, and then reset the V2.

If I start EFILive explorer without the V2 connected, I have to click on the "V2" icon to get EFILive exploere to attempt to connect, at this point it hangs with a "waiting" mouse cursor.

If I connect the V2 and then start EFILive explorer, it will start and then hang when attempting to update whatever page it ones with.

Resetting the V2 (<CNTRL> + Cancel) or pulling the USB cable restores access to EFILive explorer. Then If i refresh the current data, it reads the V2 fine.

Opening he EFILive control panel, shows the USB frame count TX and RX rapidly increasing while EFILive explorer is in the "hung" state.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Can you save the trace file (using the EFILive Control Panel) after it shows the rapidly increasing TX/RX counts?
And send the trace file (*.htx) to me at paul@efilive.com?

Thanks
Paul

swingtan
March 4th, 2013, 06:14 PM
This looks like it was just the USB drivers. I removed them and reinstalled 2.08.14 and it's all fine now.

RE: V8 Scan. It looks like the same key is being used for the last used log file directory and the last used dash directory. If you open a log file and then go to open a dash page, it opens into the directory where the log file was loaded from. The popup list for dashboards is also empty until you save a dash page, then only the newly saved dash page is listed. Saving an existing dash doesn't bring it up in the drop down list.

Simon.

Blacky
March 5th, 2013, 08:00 AM
RE: V8 Scan. It looks like the same key is being used for the last used log file directory and the last used dash directory. If you open a log file and then go to open a dash page, it opens into the directory where the log file was loaded from. The popup list for dashboards is also empty until you save a dash page, then only the newly saved dash page is listed. Saving an existing dash doesn't bring it up in the drop down list.
Simon.

I just did some testing here and it all works (on my test system at least) exactly the opposite of what you described. I.e. it works exactly how I presume you want it to work.
Can you provide step by step instructions to reprodcue the problems you are seeing? Hopefully I can reproduce what you are doing/seeing because I'm probably using it differently to you.

Regards
Paul

Chavez91
March 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM
So something that I found... Ill just say what i did..

I opened the V8 scan and tune. Then went to BBX. Selected Read. Created a new PID list for the E60. Added RPM, FUEL_MAIN_M, FUEL_THR_M, BOOST_M, ACTBOOST, FRPCOM, FRPCOMM, FRPADES, FRPACOM. Then Selected Program. It "copied" it to the v2. Then with the window still open, I wanted to add a new PID to the list that I had just created but forgot to add, when I click on the folders in the 'Available PIDs' to add it, They are all empty.

Closed

Open

Attached a screen shot. You can see that I have all the folders expanded.

But when I closed the BBX screen then re-opened it, all the PIDs returned

Just a little something weird that I found, not sure if its normal or not. :)

Blacky
March 12th, 2013, 09:42 AM
So something that I found... Ill just say what i did..

I opened the V8 scan and tune. Then went to BBX. Selected Read. Created a new PID list for the E60. Added RPM, FUEL_MAIN_M, FUEL_THR_M, BOOST_M, ACTBOOST, FRPCOM, FRPCOMM, FRPADES, FRPACOM. Then Selected Program. It "copied" it to the v2. Then with the window still open, I wanted to add a new PID to the list that I had just created but forgot to add, when I click on the folders in the 'Available PIDs' to add it, They are all empty.

You have the word "barometer" entered into the search box at the bottom of the yellow section. That will restrict the list of PID to display only those PIDs that have the text "barometer" in their name or units or description.
You can clear the search/filter by clicking on the blue X to the right of the search text box.

Note: Closing the BBX screen and re-opening it will clear the search/filter text box, which is why the PIDs "re-appeared" when you did that.

Regards
Paul

joecar
March 12th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Paul, good one, thanks for the info.

ls1mike
March 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Can't open a file pulled from one of my autocals. The serials match. What now?

Blacky
March 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Can't open a file pulled from one of my autocals. The serials match. What now?

To allow you to edit security restricted files in V7 you must first clear the security restrictions using the V8 software. You must have your master V2 connected (that is so only you can remove the security settings) then click on the [Reset] button shown highlighted with red in the image below, then re-save the file.

Just remember that after editing it, to re-instate any security settings that you want active (using the V8 software) before sending it back out to the customer.

Regards
Paul

ls1mike
March 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Awesome! Works no problem, figured it was something easy like that.

Was full flash disabled in V7? I do not see the icon lit up anymore even with my cable plugged in first.

Thank you!

Blacky
March 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Awesome! Works no problem, figured it was something easy like that.

Was full flash disabled in V7? I do not see the icon lit up anymore even with my cable plugged in first.

Thank you!

Full flash has not been disabled in V7.
What controller type is the file that you loaded when the full-flash icon was not showing up?

Regards
Paul

ls1mike
March 13th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Just tried it with E38, T43 and several ls1 files. No luck.

Blacky
March 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Just tried it with E38, T43 and several ls1 files. No luck.

Sounds like V7 is not seeing FlashScan.
Select Help->About in the V7 tune software and it will show you the license level that it is using.

Note if V8 is running you should right click on the FlashScan icon in the "system Tray" (which is at the end of the windows task bar) and select "Disconnect". That will allow V7 access to FlashScan.
Or you can just shutdown all EFILive V8 applications, the FlashScan icon will disappear once all V8 apps are closed.

Regards
Paul

ls1mike
March 13th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Had one of the v8 apps running in the background, missed it. Thanks again.

zfuller123
March 14th, 2013, 06:59 AM
i'm attaching a document i created as i have multiple dealer/customers that havne't had to do manual firmware updates before. I figure this might be a useful place for it, and hopefully all the steps make it easy enough for anyone new or having trouble with it, even though some of the problems have already been covered in this thread.

Biodiesel66
March 14th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Have not seen this problem posted yet.

When using EFILive scan & tune, F5, BBX.
When setting up selected PIDs, PID properties, Custom PID properties. The quick select unit are not showing saved when selecting OK.

While BBL the V2 displays metric, but playback the saved log file displays the correct units that were selected.

When adding pre selected Calculated PID names to V7 Scan Tool Compatibility Settings. The PIDs don't show in the logged playback file. You have to manually select the PID to display in the playback. They are in the option.txt.

joecar
March 14th, 2013, 10:36 AM
See my responses in red ink:

Have not seen this problem posted yet.

When setting up selected PIDs, PID properties, Custom PID properties. The quick select unit are not showing saved when selecting OK.
> post a screenshot.

While BBL the V2 displays metric, but playback the saved log file displays the correct units that were selected.
> V2 and V7 scantool units display is regardless... in scantool, pids can be displayed in either units.

When adding pre selected Calculated PID names to V7 Scan Tool Compatibility Settings. The PIDs don't show in the logged playback file. You have to manually select the PID to display in the playback. They are in the option.txt.
> calc pids won't show on V2, but they should be preselected when you view the log file in the V7 scantool... did you specify the full pid name (e.g. "CALC.WO2BEN")...?

Blacky
March 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Confirmed. Fixed in RC2.

Confirmed. Fixed in RC2.

Confirmed. Fixed in RC2

Thanks for finding and reporting these issues.

Regards
Paul

SkinnyPedal
March 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I am getting random access denied issues. I provided a screen shot.

joecar
March 14th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I am getting random access denied issues. I provided a screen shot.

You have to run EFILive software with Administrator privileges...

Win 7/8 is preventing EFILive software from writing that file in that folder because it was not run with sufficient privilege (i.e. need Administrator rights in order to write in that folder).

SkinnyPedal
March 15th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks! Never ran into that until installing RC 1.

Blacky
March 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM
RC2 is now available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?22369-EFILive-RC-2-%28March-28-2013%29&p=189016#post189016