PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason to like New Zealand.

mistermike
March 19th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Well, I bought a Kiwi washing machine from Fisher & Paykel. This thing is bloody amazing. No belts, gears, clutches, or much else in the way of moving parts. Just a brushless DC motor directly driving the drum and agitator under computer command. Yesterday, I watched it in awe as I caught up on a huge laundry backlog due to an Amana/Speed Queen that died well before its time, taking many of my clothes with it. (transmission oil seal) The agitator can do any motion the computer tells it, form little squiggly motions, to broad sweeps, to silent rotation. I'm waiting for it to do the Macarena. It doesn't make any of the usual mechanical sounds. More like electronic robot grunts until the 1000 RPM spin cycle, when it does a F15 imitation. Clothes come out nearly dry and it uses almost no water or electricity. Laundry is sparkling clean.
I wonder if it does Wool?

Blacky
March 19th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Fisher & Paykel are almost an institution in NZ. If you don't have a house full of their appliances then you must be a traitor. When we moved from Aus to NZ, we had to leave all our whiteware in Aus and buy F&P replacements when we got here. Donna wouldn't bee seen dead using anything else.

Now I just have to ask, Mike!!!! what are you doing in the laundry?

If it was to play with the toys that's ok, but if you're doing the washing, we'll take up a collection to pay for your rehab...

Paul

VT LS1 NZ
March 19th, 2006, 07:53 AM
My good friend owns a Powder Coating business in Onehunga and they power coat everything for F&P you know they powercoat over 2000 drum fronts a day you wonder were they all end up, now I know.

Bruce Melton
March 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Can you tune that SOB?

mistermike
March 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Mike!!!! what are you doing in the laundry?
Unfortunately, being a bachelor, my laundry assistance is minimal. Small price to pay for being able to use one's kitchen as a workbench without consequence. Currently, I'm flow testing fuel pumps where I should be making salad.

mistermike
March 19th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Can you tune that SOB? Hopefully with V2. It's got a CAN bus.:muahaha:

joecar
March 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Can you wash engine parts in it...? :banana:

Blacky
March 19th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Unfortunately, being a bachelor, my laundry assistance is minimal. Small price to pay for being able to use one's kitchen as a workbench without consequence. Currently, I'm flow testing fuel pumps where I should be making salad.

That's ok then :banana:

Like when I was a kid, I rebuilt my engine in the living room while mum and dad were away on holidays. I had it all cleaned up before they got back, unfortunately mum saw the photos. After my fingers grew back, I never rebuilt anything inside again.

Paul

TAQuickness
March 19th, 2006, 11:00 PM

That's ok then :banana:

Like when I was a kid, I rebuilt my engine in the living room while mum and dad were away on holidays. I had it all cleaned up before they got back, unfortunately mum saw the photos. After my fingers grew back, I never rebuilt anything inside again.

Paul

I recently rebuilt my heads, twice, in the living room. I was able to justify this as our son was only days old and needed constant supervision thru the wee hours of the night. Granted, I was put back to doing my own cooking and laundry for a week or so.:banana:

joecar
March 20th, 2006, 05:02 AM
I recently rebuilt my heads, twice, in the living room. I was able to justify this as our son was only days old and needed constant supervision thru the wee hours of the night. Granted, I was put back to doing my own cooking and laundry for a week or so.:banana:

This implies that you were doing car work after midnight.... :cheers:
This is when you can get the most done, everyone is sleeping and the phone doesn't ring (...I usually ignore the phone if it rings...). :rockon:

Congratulations on your new boy. :cheers:

TAQuickness
March 20th, 2006, 06:09 AM
This implies that you were doing car work after midnight.... :cheers:
This is when you can get the most done, everyone is sleeping and the phone doesn't ring (...I usually ignore the phone if it rings...). :rockon:

Congratulations on your new boy. :cheers:

thank you much. He's about 4 months now and seriously addicted to large quantities of jiggawatts. !hijack

GMPX
March 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Yes the "Fusher & Paykel" are good machines. But the noise it makes when on spin drives me nuts, it's in the room next to my office and when it winds up :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:

Cheers,
Ross

McRat
March 22nd, 2006, 04:59 AM
To wash car parts, use the dishwasher with 50% more soap. Turn off the heated dry if you have sensitive parts, but most plastics will not be affected.

joecar
March 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM
To wash car parts, use the dishwasher with 50% more soap. Turn off the heated dry if you have sensitive parts, but most plastics will not be affected.
Good idea; should I use any of the spotfree liquid...?

McRat
March 22nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Not sure about the spotless stuff, but if it's a Ford, you need to use Lemon-scented soap... ;)

joecar
March 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM
F.o.r.d.

I don't touch that stuff, I leave road kill where it lies.

:muahaha: