PDA

View Full Version : PIDs: noob questions here

C Murda
March 4th, 2013, 02:06 PM
what are PIDs? where do i select them? when do i use them? how many can/do i use? which ones should i use? im a complete noob in the tuning world so i need to learn the Cummins specific basics!

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2013, 05:02 PM
PIDs (or in the case of Cummins PID groups until EDA comes out) are the parameters to log data from the ECM. Think RPM, speed, injection pulsewidth/quantity, boost, MAP, etc.

You need, no you MUST, have a strong knowledge of PIDs and logging BEFORE attempting to tune ANYTHING. If you dont know how your truck is doing bone stock and start making changes, how will you know if your changes are good or bad?

Robs24vCTD
March 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM
http://content.efilive.com/tutorials/3rdparty/EFILive%20for%20Dummies,%20Part%202%20-%20Scan%20Tool.pdf

C Murda
March 5th, 2013, 03:48 AM
PIDs (or in the case of Cummins PID groups until EDA comes out) are the parameters to log data from the ECM. Think RPM, speed, injection pulsewidth/quantity, boost, MAP, etc.

You need, no you MUST, have a strong knowledge of PIDs and logging BEFORE attempting to tune ANYTHING. If you dont know how your truck is doing bone stock and start making changes, how will you know if your changes are good or bad?

ya this is what im trying to learn. so what groups of PIDs should i select? which apply to logging and tuning the cummins engine?

WyoFreeride
March 5th, 2013, 12:20 PM
http://content.efilive.com/tutorials/3rdparty/EFILive%20for%20Dummies,%20Part%202%20-%20Scan%20Tool.pdf

Start by reading and doing this, Rich has some very useful tutorials that will help you out, there are also a couple videos I've seen, either on CF or CompD, can't remember. It also would be a good idea to get the tuning books from Starlight Diesel if you can't afford or don't have time to go to one of his classes. Zach has done a good job at putting a lot of very useful information in one place, and they aren't too expensive, especially considering the possible damage you can do if you don't know what you are doing.

C Murda
March 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
ok so ive read the tutorial and have selected the "recommended" PID groups i connect to my truck and start to log data but i only can see real time data under the data tab. my dashboard wont show real time data and i dont know why? is there something i need to do? also what i found weird is under the data tab it was showing a real time boost pressure of 13 psi at idle!!???? whats up with that?

KhakiCummins
March 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
the sensor reads absolute pressure not gauge pressure. At sea level, the sensor would read about 14.7 PSI at 0 boost so you will always need to subtract whatever your atmospheric pressure is from you sensor reading to get Boost. Not sure where you are at but I'm assuming that you are at a couple thousand feet altitude and that is whey you are reading 13 psi with 0 psi of boost.

C Murda
March 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM
the sensor reads absolute pressure not gauge pressure. At sea level, the sensor would read about 14.7 PSI at 0 boost so you will always need to subtract whatever your atmospheric pressure is from you sensor reading to get Boost. Not sure where you are at but I'm assuming that you are at a couple thousand feet altitude and that is whey you are reading 13 psi with 0 psi of boost.

ahh ok thanks for that info! now what about why can i only view real time data logging fromm the data menu rather than the dashboard?

Robs24vCTD
March 22nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Are you recording while looking at the dashboard?

C Murda
March 23rd, 2013, 01:11 AM
Are you recording while looking at the dashboard?
Ya I selected my PIDs and truck is Running I press the record icon and under the data tab it is recording live but when I click on the dashboard
tab nothing is recording?? None of the gages show anything working

KhakiCummins
March 23rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Have you set up you Dashboard so that it is actually showing the PIDS that you're recording?

GLBWAMR
August 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM
It also would be a good idea to get the tuning books from Starlight Diesel if you can't afford or don't have time to go to one of his classes.
What kind of info is in these books? Cause the EFI for dummies is great but doesn't teach you jack about the tricks about the tuning, which well gain hp, mileage, better for towing and so on? Unless someone is putting on a course in Canada I think it's safe to say I'am not going to make it to a course.

WyoFreeride
August 6th, 2013, 02:41 AM
What kind of info is in these books? Cause the EFI for dummies is great but doesn't teach you jack about the tricks about the tuning, which well gain hp, mileage, better for towing and so on? Unless someone is putting on a course in Canada I think it's safe to say I'am not going to make it to a course.

http://www.starlitediesel.com/EFILive-Diesel-Complete-Training-Guides-TRAIN-ADVANCED.htm

Good info, not a step by step though, but will help understanding how it all works together to make power.

GLBWAMR
August 6th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Thanks