PDA

View Full Version : Noob first time tune results

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
So I completed my first tune using EFILive 7.31 and the LM-1 WBO2. Went through four wash/rinse cycles with Autotune and ended up with the VE table below.

My car is a '05 CTS-V stock except for a K&N drop in and free-flowing air tube. Car in SDCL seems to run OK .. .75 mile RT to/from work.

After I got home I logged average LTFT as MAP vs RPM on a two mile easy drive

So, how does it look? Next steps ... MAF tune ?? PE Tune??

TIA

Darrell

SinisterSS
March 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Good job for a first time AutoVE! The VE looks pretty good from 90 kPa and down; recommend double checking the BENs above 90 kPa. For that range put it in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear and run WOT from idle to the rev limiter to get some good data. Yes, it's booking in 5th but the car accelerates slow from the low rpms and provides good data since it stays in each cell for a long time. Just watch for highway patrol @ 150 mph, sudden application of 14" Brembos and laptop flying/destroying braking power. Not that I'd know. Who needs a laptop anyway.

Once you've got your BENs all within 1 or 2%, re-enable closed loop and calibrate your MAF sensor. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=671

With the VE and MAF calibrated, the value in your PE table should match what is measured on the WB02.

joecar
March 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Darrell, good work.

Could we see a pic your BEN map (with filters applied) if you still have it, please...?

Thanks
Joe
:cheers:

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks SinisterSS,

No many places to go a buck-anda-half "safely" in my neck of the woods. You gotta love 'dem Brembos with good Hawk PADS :-) I love the smell of hot brakes in the cool morning.

Darrell

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Joecar,

Which BEN map? First based upon the autotune setup for the VE, or last after four rounds?

Darrell

SinisterSS
March 20th, 2006, 02:59 PM
The latest BEN map - the goal is to have it full of values like 0.98, 0.99, 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 throughout the entire MAP and rpm range. Since ambient (barometric pressure, temperature) and IAT variations play a role, it is best to do the entire range in one log - takes about 30 minutes on country roads.

You don't need to run 150 mph for a good tune - the main thing is to be safe when doing AutoVE (watch the road, not the laptop).

joecar
March 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Yes the latest BEN map, thanks.

Yes like Rick said be safe, get the Mrs to watch the laptop.

:cheers:

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
OK here is the last BEN map. Filter as per autotune

Darrell

SinisterSS
March 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM
You've got the normal street driving range nailed - nice 1.00 BEN factor. Try to fill in the missing white boxes in the same data gathering session.

The 1.06 at high rpm, low MAP needs some help if you're a perfectionist. It's the toughest area to get and is "off throttle" coming down from a high rpm so it's not that critical.

How are your BENs for the WOT area?

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
So Rick ... I see you are Stealth-V. I have your intake :-)

Darrell

SinisterSS
March 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I was guessing that with the "free-flowing" air tube. :master:FFV

You have FFV serial number 0016 - that might be worth something 30 years from now at the car show, lol.

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Rick,

I'm a little skittish about WOT till I'm pretty close on the tune. Don't want to blow it up. The first time I got the reduced engine power MIL at 5500 RPM, I almost shit. I adjusted the table and it went away.

What kind of Map values should I be seeing at WOT. I've seen 100 a few tmes but not a lot of hits in those cells. I think I need a long hill to really stress it and stay in the cells a while.

Darrell

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Rick ... 30 years from now !! Mmm I'll be 87 and driving something powered by and LS-27 :muahaha:

Darrell

SinisterSS
March 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Looking at your 100/105 kPa columns, bump them up by about 10%. This should put you on the rich side in SD mode and you can use the BEN factors to safely walk it back down to the AFR commanded in your open loop table. What AFR are you using for SD mode? 13.0:1? Have you tweaked the timing tables?

SGCTS-V
March 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Rick.

I'm using the commanded {B3605} values from the AutoVE tuning tutorial when doing the OLSD data runs. I did not change anything on the original stock tune when I dropped in the new VE table values. I followed the AutoVE tuning tutorial. E.g. Disable MAF by setting HF limit to 0 etc. I did not change the timing tables.

SinisterSS
March 20th, 2006, 06:07 PM
One can set every cell in B3605 to something like 12.8:1 or 13.0:1 for the WOT (or the entire area) portion of AutoVE.

Looking at the tutorial for the first time, at the higher MAPs it has a richer ratio than the lower MAP cells which is different than how I did it. Back in the day, we didn't have a tutorial. ;)

Here's my B3605 when I did my first SD tune using an AFR of 12.74. IIRC, with the FFV and starting like you did with the factory VE, the AFR at WOT on the WB02 was in the 10s.

ringram
March 21st, 2006, 02:54 AM
You might want to hit the smooth button a few times to get rid of some of the spikes. Though in theory after a few more "washes" it should all come right.