PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to tune the trany for a 3rd gear start for sled pulling??

Dragbear
March 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM
A lot of pullers use this but they buy a 2nd tcm and have it tuned then switch it out at the track.
Is it possible the tune it with the V2 so you can just flash it at the track when you get there then flash it back after.
This 3rd shift defueling is a killer!!!!.
Rick

WisconsinHick1
March 9th, 2013, 03:48 AM
You can adjust your defueling so it's not as much of a killer. Only recommended if you have a built tranny though. Otherwise yes you can tune the TCM to start in 3rd gear. I did that in all my 4low tables. I never had to reflash my tcm or switch tcm's.

Dragbear
March 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks!!! That is what I was hoping to hear.
It is a $600 deal to get the 3rd gear start. You have to buy a new TCM then take to a GM dealer to get it flashed to match your truck then send it away to get the 3rd gear start tuned into it then switch it back and forth when you want to use it. That sounds insane!!
So you say I can plug in at the track and lower the shifts live and not have to build a file and take the risk of reflashing each time.

Rick

WisconsinHick1
March 10th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Post up your TCM file and I will take a look at it.

hog
March 10th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Just set your 4lo tables so that you get the 3rd gear start, these will be enabled every time you shift into 4LO. Then once done pulling just shift into 4HI or 2HI for noirmal daily driving and youu will be using those tables with more normal settings.
No flashing
peace
Hog

Dragbear
March 10th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Cool!!!!!!!!!
How far do you lower 2nd and 3rd? Do you lower MPH or RPM or both?
I have not looked into the TCM so I am not sure what I will be looking at. I will check it out tomorrow for sure.
Thanks, guys!!
I will try and post the file tomorrow so you can check it out for me.

Dragbear
March 11th, 2013, 02:21 AM
This is my factory trany tune
I looked through it but didn't find the settings I need to change. I will look some more later on but I have to head for work for now.

Thanks, Rick

Dragbear
March 11th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Ok I found everything
Hog I have a few questions?
This will only work in 4low, Drive. (Not 4low, m3, towhaul)
Using Drive I will need to raise 3-4 shift to keep it in 3rd?
Do you need to lower both rpm and MPh? how low did you set them?
Did you set your converter to lock?

Thanks for the help everyone!! Rick

WisconsinHick1
March 11th, 2013, 05:44 AM
So I understand this right you want to start and stay in 3rd gear?

Make sure you do full throttle and part throttle tables with both RPM and MPH tables.

Are you not able to run manual shifting mode in 4low with your 6 speed?

JoshH
March 11th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Ok I found everything
Hog I have a few questions?
This will only work in 4low, Drive. (Not 4low, m3, towhaul)
Using Drive I will need to raise 3-4 shift to keep it in 3rd?
Do you need to lower both rpm and MPh? how low did you set them?
Did you set your converter to lock?

Thanks for the help everyone!! RickYou can put it in M3 and it will start in 3rd if you lower all the part throttle and full throttle MPH and RPM shift points for 1-2 and 2-3. If you want to run it in D, you will need to raise the 3-4 shift speed and RPM. The MPH for 1-2 and 2-3 needs to be set at 0, and I set RPM at 200. I don't modify converter lockup.

Dragbear
March 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
That is correct
Most of the pullers run this way now to get away from the defueling on the shift into 3rd.
I do run 4low manual now.
I like running 1st gear high range the best. I don't know what is harder on the trany. 1st high with no shifting and no t converter. or 3rd low with converter.

Rick

Dragbear
March 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Josh thanks for the information I will give it a try
Does your converter lock? If so about where does it lock?
Towhaul on or off or does it matter?

Thanks

JoshH
March 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'm not really sure when the converter locks. I've never logged it, but I'm sure it does. I do not run in T/H.

WisconsinHick1
March 11th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I would be very careful about running 4hi as it is not good for the tranny. It will heat up and can burn clutches up a lot faster then 4 low will.