PDA

View Full Version : need info on operating systems

Eric
March 11th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Hi Eric here , ok this is my problem . I have swaped my friends L31 out for a 6.0l and everything is finished . I have a 0411 pcm that was originally in a 2002 safari with a 4.3l that has the same operating system as my tune i am flashing in from a 2002 truck with a 6.0l with a segmant swap from 4l80e to 4l60e. My question is do i have to do a full flash with operating systems even if they are the same to begin with . Is everthing that is different from the 4.3 to the 6.0 in the tune rather than the OS or do operating systems contain differences even if they have the same numbers. I am asking this mostly because i did start it and it really doesnt run good but it may be a couple plugs or coils . I will get back on this with my friend tomorrow morning. I did do a crank relearn but that was before i put a new serial vin number in because the old 4.3 l vin number was limiting my pids so i am wondering if the crank relearn did not work on account of it looking for a 4.3l crank trigger wheel.If any one can shed some light on this i would greatly appreciate it . Thank you. Eric

ScarabEpic22
March 11th, 2013, 08:54 PM
You should do a full flash, it cant hurt especially with the drastic changes you're making. I dont know for sure if it will fix your issue, but IMO it cant hurt to test and see.

So did you just take a 6L tune and cal flash it into a PCM that had a 4.3L calibration in it?

Eric
March 12th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Yes that is exactly what i did . I figured sence it had the same OS i just did a calibration flash , lextech helped me with the wiring and starter tune and what a great guy. That is why i asked this question about the OS , was wondering if they are all the same completely when they have the same number even when working with different extremities like from a 4.3 v6 to a 6.0l. Thank you Erik . Eric

ScarabEpic22
March 12th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Even if the OS # is the same, Id still full flash it. Ive seen some weird things happen before. Now, if you had a 4.8L or 5.3L originally, a cal flash with a 6L file would probably be ok. But, the 4.3 is a different beast than a V8.

Eric
March 13th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Hi Erik, i went back to my friends yesterday after i finished work and dug deeper and found that the MAF sensor he got from salvage was dead and we had three dead plugs that he had scraped when he installed the motor in the truck , i told him to remove them before all of this but he is hard headed as hell. It runs nice but we still have to road test it once we finish some details . The hot cam has one hell of a grumpy idle but he loves it. I will have to work on the tune though , there should be one hell of a difference from his tired old l31 if the rest of the truck holds up to the motor and him. Oh by the way Erik i noticed you have a trailblazer with the i6 in it , was wondering if i can use that converter in my maggied 4.8 2000 to get a higher stall speed . I have heard some guys doing it but not sure . Thanks Erik. Eric

ScarabEpic22
March 13th, 2013, 09:26 AM
So did you full flash the 6L tune into it anyway? Having a lazy/bad MAF will certainly mess things up.

I dont know how it would work in your 4.8, but I know TBSS guys use them as a cheap converter because they stall a little higher.

Eric
March 13th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Yes i am going to do a full flash. When i get home from work tomorrow afternoon i am going to set up a bench harness to do it because i have read alot of guys recomend it this way and doing it in vehicle kind of scares me , i got all the stuff i need to do it so i just have to set it up . I wish tuning would be as easy to me as electrical circuits and wiring but i am learning . Do you think it is damaging that we run the stock 6.0l tune with the hot cam and longtube headers while he gets around to welding in a couple extra bungs for my wide bands for tuning, not to mention i have alot of work and he is dying to use his truck .

That is exactly what i heard about the i6 converter from guys who are putting them in thier silverado ss so they get about a 2700 or 2800 stall speed but i would probably get a little lower than that because my truck is only 4400 lbs.Thank you Erik. Eric