PDA

View Full Version : pickup truck ECM/van ECM interchange

DURAtotheMAX
March 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I know the LBZ and LMM ECM's are slightly different and you cant exchange operating systems....but what about the van ECM's?

Are the 06-07 van ECM's the same as the 06-07 LBZ ECM's? If I buy an 06-07 van ECM can I reflash it with a pickup truck OS???

I tried a search but couldnt find anything....

thanks
ben

JoshH
March 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
There's a guy who has a van who flashed in a pickup OS. The pinouts are slightly different, so he had to move some wires around to match the truck. I don't recall his name, but lotsofmiles probably knows who it was that did it. Long story short, I'm sure the ECMs are the same.

THEFERMANATOR
March 12th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Pussow on DP(the guy who used to sell the conversion disc on Ebay) converted his LBZ van harness to a truck with an ALLISON. Said he had to repin it, and I believe bench flash it but it worked.

DURAtotheMAX
March 14th, 2013, 04:06 PM
basically what Im asking is, I want to have spare LBZ ECM's here for core exchange when people buy tuning from me.

Looking around, it seems that van ECM's are a little cheaper for some reason. So if I buy a used 06-07 van ECM, flash it with an LBZ pickup truck OS...it will be plug and play into any LBZ pickup?

I know the pinouts are a little different, but is that because the ECM's are PHYSICALLY different inside, or is it just because the van OS and pickup truck OS map out a couple of the pins differently in software???

Ben

THEFERMANATOR
March 14th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Check with pussow at DP, but I'm 99% certain he said all he had to do was flash it with a truck calibration and his van ECM worked with a truck harness.

basically what Im asking is, I want to have spare LBZ ECM's here for core exchange when people buy tuning from me.

Looking around, it seems that van ECM's are a little cheaper for some reason. So if I buy a used 06-07 van ECM, flash it with an LBZ pickup truck OS...it will be plug and play into any LBZ pickup?

I know the pinouts are a little different, but is that because the ECM's are PHYSICALLY different inside, or is it just because the van OS and pickup truck OS map out a couple of the pins differently in software???

Ben

Biodiesel66
March 15th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Ben you should have no problem using them!

It's all within the OS Segments ID on how the stock tune in controlled with the Vin # in TIS. If that makes any sense?

DURAtotheMAX
March 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM
awesome, thanks everyone!

DURAtotheMAX
March 24th, 2014, 07:02 AM
bumping this up to the top again....Im making a standalone harness for a customer, its an LLY/LBZ from a van with a 4L80.

I was thinking of swapping those couple wires around on the harness so I could reflash the ECM to a pickup truck operating system. That way he would be able to have DSP-5. Also, the pickup truck ECM calibration has discrete outputs for speedo and tach. In the vans, speedo/tach info is transmitted to the cluster over Class 2 data. So there are several reasons why Im thinking it would be advantageous to change over to a pickup truck operating system.

My question is....will the pickup truck ECM calibration still communicate properly with the van T42 TCM? Obviously the T42 and the Allison 6-speed TCM are both GMLAN, so the databusses are the same....but I didnt know if there was some "check" or confirmation that the ECM would do before accepting the TCM....

And the other thing, is the factory Espar fuel-fired coolant heater. It interfaces with the ECM over high-speed GMLAN as well to pickup coolant temp, outside ambient temp, and engine-run-flag from the ECM. Will the coolant heater play nicely with a pickup truck ECM calibration?

thanks
Ben