PDA

View Full Version : Can not read 09 6.7L cummins stock file

FVPdiesel
March 15th, 2013, 02:11 AM
i'm trying to tune an 09 6.7L cummins. i can not get the stock file to read on my V2. i've made a few phone calls, no one has had this problem before.... the truck was purchased new, and was recently reflashed by chrysler, so i know it is the stock program in the computer. can anyone help? i get a code: $0311 when i try to read the stock file.

ScarabEpic22
March 15th, 2013, 02:18 AM
That error is related to BBL, can you write down the steps you're doing to get the error? Also, you need to use V8 and program your V2 in order to read the tune, what have you done to your V2?

Have you tried using V8 and a laptop to read the tune? That would be my first plan of attack.

FVPdiesel
March 15th, 2013, 02:36 AM
i'm new to EFI, this is the first dodge i have done. i have a brand new V2, with the V8 software, all the most recent updates. i go to the Read menu (upper left corner of the screen) i click on auto detect, the PCM show up, i click on the read botton below the picture of the ECM and it comes up with the error code $0311... i have been using the laptop as i can not figure out how to run the V2 with out it...

ScarabEpic22
March 15th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Do you have the truck keyswitch in the RUN position?

You will need both V7.5 and V8 software to tune a Cummins. V8 to read/flash, V7.5 to edit and scan/log.

FVPdiesel
March 15th, 2013, 04:08 AM
i just talked with a tyler from punisher diesel. he said he recently had the same problem, apparently the 09's have a software blocker that does not allow them to be tuned, and EFI has not come up with a solution to this issue yet... so i'm kinda SOL now that i have all the DPF and EGR hardware removed

ScarabEpic22
March 15th, 2013, 05:11 AM
If you have the newest bootblock/calibration in the ECM then yes, you will not be able to read it out.

2007 5.9
March 15th, 2013, 05:19 AM
You can find a smarty/H&S, flash that in then immediately return to stock. Then you'll be able to read the stock file.

KhakiCummins
March 15th, 2013, 06:01 AM
You can find a smarty/H&S, flash that in then immediately return to stock. Then you'll be able to read the stock file.

EFILive has clearly stated that this CAN lead to you killing the ECM because the box tuners do NOT return to a true factory STOCK file. I know that they have but in checks to prevent you from flashing an ECM with a BAD stock file but I still wouldn't chance even trying.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18935-Important-Reflash-Warning-for-Cummins-ECM-s

2007 5.9
March 15th, 2013, 06:04 AM
So here it is in it's entirety...flash with smarty/H&S, return to stock, READ THE FILE, if it HAS a incomplete file, flash a clean OS. This will bypass the boot loader issue and as long as you DO NOT FLASH a incomplete file in, your ECM will live.

ScarabEpic22
March 15th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Gotcha, so basically this is a bypass for the updated bootloader issue. Good for future reference.

Duane, you are absolutely correct about the return to stock (Zach definitely hammered that point home again last weekend :)), but in this case all we're doing is using the Smarty/H&S to bypass the locked bootloader.

GMPX
March 15th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Even if it has the anti-tuning bootloader you can still read the ECM, so that isn't your issue.

KhakiCummins
March 15th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Les, I saw where you were going with the Smarty/H&S to bypass the boot loader and guess I should have suggested getting a clean file from someone instead of just basically sounding like I was saying don't to that at all. I was just trying to re-iterate the problem that some "stock" files can cause to help avoid something catastrophic.