PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat new to tuning and confused

newdmaxowner
March 22nd, 2013, 07:16 PM
Hi,

I just sold my Chevy 5.3L gas which I was using a competitor product and bought my first Dmax. When it comes to tuning a Dmax, all I hear about is EFI Live, and I looked at the products and talked to a few friends and find the EFI live website rather confusing.

Is it a hand held that re-programs the computer in the truck? is it software on a laptop? is it both? Do I have to take the truck to a special shop to have it tuned? can I tune it without going to a shop?

Why is support so difficult to get? When I went to the "reseller's" listing, it gave me both resellers and distributors and I tried calling 15 different resellers and every last one of them did not pick up there phone, wanted me to leave voice mails and some of them sounded like they work out of their basement. I really don't want to blow up an engine on a brand new truck because the manufacturer did not have proper information out there and the dealers were all fly by night businesses and you would have no idea if they would be in business the next day.

I want to consider an EFI live for the truck, but right now it seems like there is no information on what it is, how much it costs and the closest dealer (if I want to call it that after my experience today) is about 900 miles from me which is really odd being on the east coast.

GMC-2002-Dmax
March 23rd, 2013, 01:43 AM
EFI-Live is a tool used to tune your vehicle, EFI-Live supports many different GM controllers.

If you have a brand new LML you will have to wait several weeks until the tuning is offered for a LML, if you have a 2010 or older Duramax then tuning is available now.

I can answer any questions you have, feel free to PM me and I can provide you with any information you need.

I am in CT, so I am out here on the East Coast

KhakiCummins
March 23rd, 2013, 07:51 AM
EFILive is both software and hardware. The software is free to anyone who wants to download it. The hardware, a V2 or an AutoCal, and VIN licenses which are used with the software to tune a vehicle are what you pay for. EFILive themselves don't sell tuning, they only sell the "tools" needed to do it.

If you're looking to do your own tuning, the prices on http://www.efilive.com/# Online Store will give you a good idea on pricing. If you want to have someone else do your tuning, prices will depend on what you want to do with your truck and who you work with.

newdmaxowner
March 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks GMC-2002-Dmax and Khaki,

IFor some reason I can't PM anyone, maybe cause I have only had one post so far. That link looks like it was what I am looking for, it would make most sense to go with a V2 if I am doing my own tuning. The V2 does not come with any standard tunes? I know the tuner for my old truck came with one for 87oct, 93oct, and performance (which would be different with the dmax.

So I basically have to write my tune from scratch even with a v2 or pay a shop to program a few tunes for me. What are the average prices for them to write tunes, I assume they put the truck on a dyno and connect the OBDII to collect the data before writing a new tune.

joecar
March 23rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
EFILive hardware/software is a toolkit for you to edit your ECM/TCM calibrations (implying you need to know what you're doing)...

i.e. it is just the tools/toolkit (like a set of wrenches from Sears);

no tunes are included, you have to buy a tune from a tuner (or develop one yourself if you already know how to tune).

Some tuners will run your vehicle on their dyno, take measurements, edit your calibrations; others will give you a pre-made tune which covers items that are already well known (and don't require running on a dyno).

THEFERMANATOR
March 23rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Many DURAMAX tuners will include a basic low HP tune with the purchase of a V2 from them, and also offer reduced prices on tune files with a V2 or autocal purchase. I would reccomend finding a tuner with a WELL KNOWN reputation in the tuning industry as there are alot of fly by nights out there selling tuning that is pretty piss poor.

ScarabEpic22
March 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Everyone has posted exactly what EFILive is, it IS a tuning TOOL. It is NOT a TUNE.

You do not simply buy EFILive and get tunes when it arrives, you get the ABILITY to read/write/datalog/clear codes and build YOUR OWN tunes. Or buy them from a tuner.

It is NOT like Hypertech, Superchips, Edge, Smarty, or H&S where you buy their product and it comes preloaded with tunes.