PDA

View Full Version : Pid Slelction and Dashboard wont save

Schwanke Engines
March 26th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I have been messing with this for over a year an still having no luck getting the issue resolved. I have about 6 computers around the shop that all have EFI Live on them, and use a standard Dashboard setup for mileage tuning and one for performance dyno runs and such. I save the Pid selection and Dashboard Layout, and on my Computer I cannot open these files. I can arrange the dash the way I want and the pid selection, but no matter what when I re open the scan tool the dashboard is reset to just have Injector Duty Cycle and Ben factor repeated over and over again with no pids selected. Has anyone ever had this issue that cna help me out as it stands my Computer is useless except for Bench-top tuning at the moment. And of coarse my Tuning Laptop just died on me so I need another to use for the interim.

joecar
March 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
For each chart/gauge did you do this: on the chart or gauge do rightclick->Properties, a Properties subwindow appears, in that subwindow click Save.

Schwanke Engines
April 2nd, 2013, 08:41 AM
Tried this and after saving and exiting Scan tool, It still opens with 4 pids repeated over and over again on the dashboard, I try and open it from saved files, and nothing changes at all. Please help.

joecar
April 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
Post a screenshot.

joecar
April 2nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
You can also save file the whole dashboard (consisting of the A, B, C pages)...

and you can open the saved file anytime to have whole dashboard set to as was when you saved it.

Schwanke Engines
April 3rd, 2013, 02:15 AM

No matter how many times or which way I go about saving the Dashboard, this is what I get to come up every time when I re-open the Scan tool

joecar
April 3rd, 2013, 03:43 AM
Goto Edit->Properties->Startup

checkmark the box for loading a specific dashboard on startup, and specify the dashboard file (browse to it)

( note this will load all 3 dashpages (A, B, C) on startup of scantool )

Schwanke Engines
April 3rd, 2013, 04:16 AM
It worked 1 time, then I closed it out a second time and now its back to what it was doing before and just repeating a few pids over and over again. I went to check and all the boxes are still checked and its loading the correct dashboard that every other computer in our shop opens with no issues. I also checked them and none of them had those boxes checked and they load different dashboards no issues. I wouldn't mind if I had to reload the dash every time I opened it, but It will not even let me do that.

joecar
April 3rd, 2013, 04:22 AM
It happens only on this one PC...?

Does this PC run Win 7/8...?

Schwanke Engines
April 3rd, 2013, 04:23 AM
Yes, only on this PC. And yes it runs Windows 7. But so do 3 other computers in the shop that have no issues with it. Its always been an issue on this computer only. I have tried deleting the program and re installing 3 times also no fix with that.

joecar
April 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Does your login account on this PC have sufficient privileges to be able to read/write files in the folders that EFILive wants to use...?

You might have to do Run As and specify Admin when you run the scantool.

Schwanke Engines
April 5th, 2013, 02:23 AM
It's my personal computer I have never needed to run anything in admin mode. There is no log in password for my computer.

Blacky
April 5th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Yes, only on this PC. And yes it runs Windows 7. But so do 3 other computers in the shop that have no issues with it. Its always been an issue on this computer only. I have tried deleting the program and re installing 3 times also no fix with that.

When you re-install the V7 software and it asks do you want to clear the registry settings, select [Yes]. That will reset all the dashboard settings to their defaults.

Or you can do that manually by closing all EFILive software, running regedit and deleting the following registry key:
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5
Next time you start EFILive it will recreate the registry settings from its built in defaults.

Note: To run regedit click the start button, type regedit in the search box and then click on the regedit shortcut that is displayed.

Regards
Paul

beav
June 23rd, 2013, 05:57 AM
I am having a very similar issue. More specifically, when I save a vdp or vdb in a new folder (one that I have being backed up from my laptop) it appears that it saves, but never creates a file in the specified location.

EagleMark
June 23rd, 2013, 07:05 AM
I am having a very similar issue. More specifically, when I save a vdp or vdb in a new folder (one that I have being backed up from my laptop) it appears that it saves, but never creates a file in the specified location.Yup, over and over again... Make a new folder, save it there and poof! Nothing, it ends up somewhere else.

Blacky
June 23rd, 2013, 08:20 AM
I am having a very similar issue. More specifically, when I save a vdp or vdb in a new folder (one that I have being backed up from my laptop) it appears that it saves, but never creates a file in the specified location.

Dashboards and dash pages will always and only be saved in the folder defined under the VDash folder setting in the Properties Window.

Regards
Paul

beav
June 23rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Dashboards and dash pages will always and only be saved in the folder defined under the VDash folder setting in the Properties Window.

Regards
Paul

So I will write this off as a feature request then... ;-)

Thanks!

EagleMark
June 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM

Regards
PaulAhhh! That's why all my dashboards dissapear! Can you fix that? Even if you choose to put it in a separate folder there, it still refuses and puts it in main folder.

Just tried this with a default dash and lost another default dash.

Open a default dash, change all the gauges to proper for that controller. You can change a gauge on a dashboard and Save As and start a new theme, new folder and name it Vortec, LS1b, etc... so you have them all lined up for whatever controller. Then save the dashboard to that same folder and POOF! It's gone to main folder?

So now you've spent all that time to make a new dashboard with new gauges and save it with same default name and POOF! The original is gone... and you have no idea where all the work on new dashboard went? Defaults no longer work properly...

Blacky
June 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Ahhh! That's why all my dashboards dissapear! Can you fix that? Even if you choose to put it in a separate folder there, it still refuses and puts it in main folder.

Just tried this with a default dash and lost another default dash.

Open a default dash, change all the gauges to proper for that controller. You can change a gauge on a dashboard and Save As and start a new theme, new folder and name it Vortec, LS1b, etc... so you have them all lined up for whatever controller. Then save the dashboard to that same folder and POOF! It's gone to main folder?

So now you've spent all that time to make a new dashboard with new gauges and save it with same default name and POOF! The original is gone... and you have no idea where all the work on new dashboard went? Defaults no longer work properly...

If you do this and save it with same default name then of course it will overwrite the existing dashboard.

The following scenarios (when tested here) work correctly:

Scenario 1:

Load the Default Metric dashboard.
Use the "Save As" option to save that dashboard with a new name.
Make changes to the dashboard.

Both the existing Default Metric dashboard and the new dashboard exist in the "VDash" folder.

Scenario 2:

Change the VDash property setting to C:\Temp

The existing Default Metric dashboard still exists in the original VDash folder, the new dashboard exists in the the new "VDash" folder C:\Temp.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 23rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
So I will write this off as a feature request then... ;-)

Thanks!

The way it currently works in V7 is too complicated, but its the best that could be done with the constraints of backward compatibility and legacy design.

The new V8 software saves all dashboards, charts, maps, PID selections etc in a single *.dsh file. That file can be opened/saved anywhere without restriction.
Sharing dashboards with other users will be as simple as sharing/copying a single *.dsh file.

Regars
Paul

Blacky
June 23rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
If you do this and save it with same default name then of course it will overwrite the existing dashboard.

The following scenarios (when tested here) work correctly:

Scenario 1:

Both the existing Default Metric dashboard and the new dashboard exist in the "VDash" folder.

Scenario 2:

The existing Default Metric dashboard still exists in the original VDash folder, the new dashboard exists in the the new "VDash" folder C:\Temp.

Regards
Paul

Sorry, I made a mistake in the order of the item above. You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it. That is because changes to the charts and gauges on each dash page are written back to their files immediately. So by using the Save as option you have created a copy of the dashboard and all changes are then made to the copy (not the original).

They scenario actions should be ordered like this:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 23rd, 2013, 10:42 AM
This document explains creating/modifying dashboards in more detail
http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Dashboard%20Customization%20Tutorial.pdf

P.S. If you ever mess up the default dashboards and want to get them back to installation defaults, just select the menu option: Dashboard -> Recall Installation Defaults.

Regards
Paul

beav
June 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
The way it currently works in V7 is too complicated, but its the best that could be done with the constraints of backward compatibility and legacy design.

The new V8 software saves all dashboards, charts, maps, PID selections etc in a single *.dsh file. That file can be opened/saved anywhere without restriction.
Sharing dashboards with other users will be as simple as sharing/copying a single *.dsh file.

Regars
Paul

Thanks Paul! I can certainly appreciate the difficulties in development. I am a software engineer and understand how backwards compatibility is hard to cover sometimes.

EagleMark
June 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM

Regards
PaulBut I saved it in a different folder! So why would it overwrite one in another folder? The goal was default metric/imperial/mpg/VE/MAF/etc... for all controllers by name. This way I can duplicate my dashboards for anything and always have the familiarity!

The glitch was EFI Live would never save a dashboard to a folder inside the main folder... like any other windows software. Now that I know it can't? Or won't? I can try again.

As always I appreciate the effort given to explain and detailed instructions!

EagleMark
June 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM

Regars
PaulWish it were only dashboards. :crash:

Is V8 ready to use yet? :banana:

This document explains creating/modifying dashboards in more detail
http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Dashboard%20Customization%20Tutorial.pdf

P.S. If you ever mess up the default dashboards and want to get them back to installation defaults, just select the menu option: Dashboard -> Recall Installation Defaults.

Regards
PaulIs that Tutorial accurate for what software? Build? V8? V2? V1? Drivers? V7.5? BBL? Firmware? Bootloader version? Updates? Firmaware programmer? EFI Live Control panel? EFI Live USB manager? EFI Live Explorer? EFI Live Scan and Tune? Do I have to uninstal? Reinstall? Can I go backwards if if does not work? Any links?

Sorry but have wasted so much time on tutorials that are still there and were outdated by updates I don't read them anymore. Tech support is always accurate! :cool:

Blacky
June 23rd, 2013, 01:35 PM
But I saved it in a different folder! So why would it overwrite one in another folder? The goal was default metric/imperial/mpg/VE/MAF/etc... for all controllers by name. This way I can duplicate my dashboards for anything and always have the familiarity!

The glitch was EFI Live would never save a dashboard to a folder inside the main folder... like any other windows software. Now that I know it can't? Or won't? I can try again.

As always I appreciate the effort given to explain and detailed instructions!

If you want to make a copy of an existing dashboard with a new name without altering the existing dashboard: You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 23rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
Wish it were only dashboards. :crash:

Why? The gauges, charts and maps are all interdependent and are intimately tied to the PID selection. All of those items need to be treated as a single configuration.
When the V8 Scan Tool is fully operational, there will be options available to make it easy to copy/paste gauges, charts, maps and PID settings between dashboards.

Is V8 ready to use yet? :banana:
You can use the Scan Tool to view existing log files.
Pass-thru logging for V8 is in development.

Is that Tutorial accurate for what software? Build? V8? V2? V1? Drivers? V7.5? BBL? Firmware? Bootloader version? Updates? Firmaware programmer? EFI Live Control panel? EFI Live USB manager? EFI Live Explorer? EFI Live Scan and Tune? Do I have to uninstal? Reinstall? Can I go backwards if if does not work? Any links?
The turotial is accurate for the current V7 scan tool only.

Regards
Paul

joecar
June 23rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it.
...This is what I have been doing all along (for years now).

EagleMark
June 24th, 2013, 01:55 AM
If you want to make a copy of an existing dashboard with a new name without altering the existing dashboard: You must use the "Save As" option to save the dash before you make changes to it.

Regards
PaulOK, but it would be the only software in the world (all, not just tuning) that will not save as after changes are made. Why save as before changes are made? Is this a MAC thing or the way it's done in other countries? It's just foreign?

This is what I have been doing all along (for years now).Probably why you have all the answers we all need! But this is your full time job, it's like a full time job for people to figure out and shouldn't be. Windows software for the world does A, EFI Live does B... or C... or... ? Tech support!!!! :wavetowel2:

Still won't Save As in a folder? Why? What is the purpose of folders if you can't put the dashboards in with the gauges or themes as they start out as?

I appreciate you guys telling me how it works. I hope you appreciate me telling you it needs fixed. Don't just take my word, read all the threads for years with same issues.

Blacky
June 24th, 2013, 07:41 AM
OK, but it would be the only software in the world (all, not just tuning) that will not save as after changes are made. Why save as before changes are made? Is this a MAC thing or the way it's done in other countries? It's just foreign?

I agree it is the wrong way to do it. I wasn't trying to explain how it was done as "this is the correct way to do it", just trying to explain what you'll need to do to get around the problem.
I don't know if it can be fixed but I'll take a look.

Regads
Paul

joecar
June 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM
OK, but it would be the only software in the world (all, not just tuning) that will not save as after changes are made. Why save as before changes are made? Is this a MAC thing or the way it's done in other countries? It's just foreign?

Probably why you have all the answers we all need! But this is your full time job, it's like a full time job for people to figure out and shouldn't be. Windows software for the world does A, EFI Live does B... or C... or... ? Tech support!!!! :wavetowel2:

Still won't Save As in a folder? Why? What is the purpose of folders if you can't put the dashboards in with the gauges or themes as they start out as?

I appreciate you guys telling me how it works. I hope you appreciate me telling you it needs fixed. Don't just take my word, read all the threads for years with same issues.

It is implicitly saving changes as you make them, I guess it is an attempt to avoid losing changes in case the user forgets to explicitly save...

( there are other interfaces out there that have similar behaviour... )

it's just a different way of doing things (first you make a duplicate (with a new name), and then you edit the duplicate), once you understand it it comes quite natural (of course, I'm speaking for myself).

:)

EagleMark
June 24th, 2013, 08:50 AM
:coool: