PDA

View Full Version : Segment swap causing different results than manual copy / paste

samh_08
March 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Kind of a long story but I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

My original calibration was set up for me and all was fairly well, but I had one main nagging issue. Ive been running a DBW system on my conversion and everything works great except for I only have half the pedal travel to work with (ETC and pedal say 100% at 50% throttle.)

I have been logging 'ETCPED' and visually verifying the throttle blade to make sure everything is what it says.

When I use a Holden tune with the same OS as mine, my throttle works perfect!

So here is what I tried:
Swapped all segments from my tune > holden = No good
Swapped ONLY engine segment from my tune > holden = No good
Swapped ONLY engine section MANUALLY from my tune > holden = Perfect!
Swapped everything MANUALLY from my tune > holden = Perfect!

Question is:
Why would doing everything by hand produce different results than swapping segments? My main concern is that Im not copying something by hand because its in the 'background' of the tune, if there is such a thing.

GMPX
March 26th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Question is:
Why would doing everything by hand produce different results than swapping segments? My main concern is that Im not copying something by hand because its in the 'background' of the tune, if there is such a thing.
That is exactly what is going on, segment swap takes every bit of data from a segment and moves it, manual copy/paste (you must have lots of spare time) only copies the tables shown in the editor, everything else within that segment remains the same.

samh_08
March 27th, 2013, 01:36 AM
That is exactly what is going on, segment swap takes every bit of data from a segment and moves it, manual copy/paste (you must have lots of spare time) only copies the tables shown in the editor, everything else within that segment remains the same.
So what exactly is hidden behind the scenes that is causing the change in the way the throttle acts? Im concerned because the person who made the tune (I'll PM you his name) claims his tunes are separated by the others by the stuff he does in background.

Like I said, the car runs pretty damn good so I dont want to screw that up because there's something I cannot transfer.

joecar
March 27th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Yes, correct what GPMX said, the segment swap copies other hidden details (not just the tables)...

for example this is how you would change a PCM from 4L60E to 4L80E.

samh_08
March 28th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Is there a way for me to modify this hidden stuff? I can post the tune if someone knows how to change/see background info.

samh_08
May 17th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Bringing this back up. I have attached the Holden tune that works, and my current dysfunctional tune :).

I would just use the Holden tune, but the OS and other calibration 'background details' are different (i.e says the engine is 5.7L instead of 6.0, all checksums are different.

There has to be a way to 'extract' the throttle section. Im all ears for any opinions/ideas.

400ss
May 18th, 2014, 05:40 AM
One time time, i ws having a problem on DBW, full down only openes 50% throttle, swaped the accelerator pedal, and done.. this was on a 04 silverado

samh_08
May 18th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Tried a different sensor and TAC with same result. I dont want to just get a pedal with 50% less pedal travel cause I know I can fix this with software.

Where theres a will theres a way :)...

GMPX
May 18th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Been a long time since I thought about a LS1 PCM's operation, but, isn't the TAC module required to be matched in some way to the pedal and PCM tune? In other words you can't take a truck pedal, Cadillac TAC and put a Holden PCM tune in.

darcy
May 18th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Those tunes don't match OSs...how did you segment swap?

samh_08
May 19th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Those tunes don't match OSs...how did you segment swap?
Good call, going back through my emails I seen this: (me talking)

"The 2004 SSR tune on tunefiledepot makes the throttle work correctly.

Being that it is the same OS, I find it odd that it works.'"

I at one point flashed the holden tune listed above and found it worked, but later tried the SSR and it also worked AND it was the same OS. :bash:

Been a long time since I thought about a LS1 PCM's operation, but, isn't the TAC module required to be matched in some way to the pedal and PCM tune? In other words you can't take a truck pedal, Cadillac TAC and put a Holden PCM tune in.
That was my thinking until I started flashing other tunes and getting different throttle operation with the same hardware...?

samh_08
May 24th, 2014, 03:10 AM
When I was initially playing with different tunes to get the throttle working right, it was winter so I couldnt take it out and see a real world result. Here is what I found...

So here is what I tried:
Swapped all segments from my tune > holden = No good
Swapped ONLY engine segment from my tune > holden = No good
Swapped ONLY engine section MANUALLY from my tune > holden = Perfect!
Swapped everything MANUALLY from my tune > holden = Perfect! --->> LOADED THIS TUNE

When I open my tune, the engine size is wrong (says 5.3L when it was 6.0L)
- The OS is the same
- All of the segments have different ID's and checksums

The car runs pretty good overall, except for cutting spark to 0* after a 1-2 shift AND keeping the timing at 0* until I left off.

joecar
May 24th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Engine size appears to be documentive only.

samh_08
May 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks Joe. It must not be derived from B0104 cause I changed that...?

I've NEVER had the car drop timing like it did with this tune, so whatever is 'hidden' is definitely affecting the tune. Is there tools or anything I can use to view this data?

5.7ute
May 26th, 2014, 05:11 PM
If you can get the files in .bin format you can compare the raw hex values with Tunerpro.
Once you have the definition built in Tunerpro you then make a .cax so you can edit with Efilive.

samh_08
May 27th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Just drove it again and posted a screenshot of what is going on. I can get it to repeat every time from doing the following: Rolling along in first, going WOT, shifting to 2nd. As soon as it hits second (maybe a tad sooner) it cuts the spark advance until I let off.

In the attached shot, I hit the throttle letting it shift into second then let off enough to pick the spark back up.