PDA

View Full Version : Truck Lost Power While Connected to V1

ferocity02
March 26th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Interesting thing happened today... I was doing some logging with the V1 and laptop connected (but not monitoring or logging) in the passenger seat. I made a hard-ish left turn onto the on ramp and gave it a good amount of gas. The rear end just barely started to come loose when suddenly the truck fell flat on it's face, as if the key was turned off. This lasted no more than 1/4-1/2 second and then it picked back up and continued to run like normal...

My laptop also rebooted itself right when this happened... :shock:

I'm curious if there was some sort of electrical short that caused the engine to die and my laptop to reboot. I pulled off the highway and everything was fine, laptop included. It connected to the PCM just fine afterwards. I didn't see any loose connections under the hood.

Has anyone had this happen before?

joecar
March 27th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Was your laptop powered/charging from your vehicle battery...?

Is your vehicle battery loose...?

I've seen it with a loose battery hold-down.

ferocity02
March 27th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Was your laptop powered/charging from your vehicle battery...?

Is your vehicle battery loose...?

I've seen it with a loose battery hold-down.

Laptop was running off it's own battery, haven't tried to charge from the car battery yet, need to measure the voltages first.

Battery is fine, all tight.

Could the laptop randomly rebooting while connected cause this to happen? Although I can say that this laptop has never rebooted randomly on it's own before.

Or could a short in the truck cause the laptop to reboot through OBDII port and through the V1?

joecar
March 27th, 2013, 06:47 AM
I'm thinking a short in vehicle power may have caused your laptop to momentarily poweroff.