PDA

View Full Version : Please help me clear somethings up, A40, 09 dmax

Kunz111
March 28th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Hey there everyone, im getting a ATS triple disc for my 09 dmax and once I get that in the truck I wanna tune up my trans. The past couple of days I have been doing a lot of reading on here and I was wondering if you could clear up some stuff for me.

Is it true to flash the A40 it takes an hour? I thought I read some where that when bench tuning/flashing the trans it takes an hour to do. Or something along those lines, I tried to go back and fine the thread on where I read that but I have been through so many threads I couldn't find it.

Before I put my converter in I wanna do a lot of logging with the truck/trans before I put the converter in and see how everything works. With that being said what are some good PIDs to log?

What I read on dieselplace under the aftermarket trans section is that the line pressure is only adjustable with the ATS co-pilot, is that true? Or can that be adjusted with efilive? My boss is a very well known LS tuner in my area, and he has tuned a couple of 8.1 with the 5 speed Allison, and he said with his Hptune he could adjust line pressure with it.

Im sure once I do start to do some logging I will have a lot more questions so I appreciate all of your help now and in the future. I will probably keep on asking more questions in this thread instead of making new ones every other day haha, and im sorry about all of the questions. I just wanna understand what im doing before I actually do it. I should probably mention that my truck is already tuned by nick at duramaxtuner(motor only,DSP 5), mods on my truck are AFE dry air filter stage 2, mbrp turbo back, pcv reroute, ppe deep trans pan and big dif cover, and a trans go jr shift kit.

Jeff

THEFERMANATOR
March 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I can 100% guarantee you that NOBODY can change line pressure in an ALLISON before 2010 via the TCM as it is controlled via an internal regulator. You can change teh TAPS, but not line pressure. The co-pilot allows for higher pressures, but still not adjusteable. As for flashing the A40 TCM, EFILIVE does not offer full flashing capabilities for it as a bench flash would take over an hour due to the amount of info contained in the flash. So if a full flash is needed, you have to go to a use a TECH II and TIS. You can do cal flashes to change shift points, TAPS, and shift timing though.

Kunz111
March 28th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Are the 5 speeds also internal regulated? Im going to assume yes seeing how you said before 2010 via TCM, with that being said are the new allisons in 2011 and up not internally regulated? When would you want or need a full flash for an A40?

Is there a way to firm up the shifts At wot with out a fully built trans? At part throttle it had a nice firm shift, but at wot it feels sloppy. I have never been happy with the way the truck has shifted, stock or modded. Also can I tune in when to lock and unlock the converter?

THEFERMANATOR
March 29th, 2013, 02:41 AM
00-10 for the ALLISONS uses internal valves to control line pressure, 2011 has some control over line pressure via the TCM. You can play with shortening the shift timing, but this can be a recipe for DISASTER in a QUICK hurry. The TRANSGO JR helps to shorten shift times as it allows the trim valves access to full line pressure instead of 125 PSI, and they also provide a quicker ramp in for pressure rise. With a clutch to clutch trans like the ALLISON firm shifts equal tie ups, which equals out to broken parts.

killerbee
March 31st, 2013, 02:23 AM
No, it doesn't take an hour. But then again, only cal flash is available. You cannot change the OS in your A40 with EFILive.

Kunz111
April 7th, 2013, 05:13 AM
ok I know this isn't in the right section but I figured instead of starting a new thread I would just continue on this one. But im having some troubles getting my bbl working. I followed the directions in the link for setting up bbl,(http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch) and at the end it says close the program so I do and then when I reopen it nothing was saved. What am I doing wrong?