PDA

View Full Version : new guy, needing some pointers

03dmax
April 6th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Okay to start I have a 2003 Chevy duramax, 4x4 auto. I am wanting to tune it myself, I bought both of Zach's books and I been playing around changing little thing and so on. As of right now I just was doing a single flash with the ECM. I want to do the DSP5 switch. Here's were I get a little in the dark, I am unsure what goes where when it comes to the following.

I figured out how to convert my stock file to a DSP5. I now see the following, DSP Switch, DSP Program #1-4, Valet Mode, DSP Output #1 DSP Staging And then all the of Engine Calibrations.

Here is what I am assuming please correct me if I am wrong.

Is the DSP Programs 1-4 were I would build lets say a stock tune, then a tow, fuel economy and maybe a mild race. Is the Engine calibrations were a big tune would go since there are more parameters? From the reading I have done I know there is one of them that everybody keeps saying that's where you should put your big tune in.

As far as the other settings (valet mode, DSP Output and staging) is it really anything I need to mess with? Its basically a bone stock truck other then a PPE stage 4 trans. Otherwise used as a DD. Thanks much for the help.

THEFERMANATOR
April 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Personally I don't put the big tune for the base file because if you have a switch problem the ECM defaults to the base file and you don't want to be stuck on a race tune with 15K pounds in tow. Just remember that your base file must have the limiters and such in it for your biggest tune, and you may need to adjust your other tunes to work with the changes for the big tune(not all single tunes will play well together as a DSP5, so be prepared to log and adjust accordingly). For a LB7 I personally prefer a DSP2 as it gives you a few more tables in the DSP file, and the ALLISON doesn't take well to changes in HP levels.

And also keep in mind your base file is position 1, DSP1 is position 2, and so on.

03dmax
April 6th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Ah that makes a lot more sense now. So then the Engine Calibrations would have my stock tune in it correct? I am wanting to keep it 100% bone stock for diagnosing stuff so if it is I want to make sure I don't change any more than I would have too.

03dmax
April 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM
bump, just want to varify I am understanding correctly..