PDA

View Full Version : EFILive RC 4 (April 10, 2013)

Blacky
April 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
The latest EFILive software is now available as Release Candidate 4 for all EFILive customers.

EFILive encourages customers to use this release in their production environments.
This release is scheduled to become the official public release.

Download here:

http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.7.227_RC4_Setup.exe
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.2.221_RC4_Setup.exe

Updates since RC3:

[*=1]Fixed E55 cal-flashing mis-matched operating system.
[*=1]Fixed E39 cal-flashing of *.coz files fails with "incorrect checksum" due to badly formatted *.coz file.
[*=1]Fixed pass-thru data logging failure when less than 24 channels are selected and external A/D PIDs are selected and voltage applied to AD1 thru AD4.
[*=1]Fixed "g-force units not defined" error.
[*=1]Fixed metric/custom scaling issues when using slider to test custom PID units for BBL PID selections.

Firmware

Since RC3, the FlashScan and AutoCal firmware version number has been updated to V2.07.37. That means once you upgrade the firmware you cannot revert back to V2.07.35 or 2.07.36.
The firmware version number upgrade from 35 to 36 was required because of the seriousness of the "SD Card surprise removal" bug that was fixed in RC2.
The firmware version number upgrade from 36 to 37 was required due to external data logging interface updates.

What is not included in this release:

The Cummins switchable tune (CSP5) feature is not included in RC4.
The DPF/EGR restrictions for US based customers are not part of RC4.
Pass-thru logging using the V8 software is not included in RC4 (use V7.5 for pass-thru logging duties).
Tune file editing using the V8 software is not included in RC4 (use V7.5 for tune file editing duties).

Bug Fixes:

Bugs that have been reported over the past 6 months have been fixed in this release. If you have reported a bug but discover that it has not been fixed or has only been partially fixed in this update, please report the bug again in this thread.

Known Issues:

Please post issues, questions, clarifications (large or small) in this thread.

As issues are reported and confirmed they will be re-posted as "Known Issues" below.

[*=1]The RPM24x PID does not display correctly on FlashScan/AutoCal during BBL nor does it display correctly on the V8 Scan Tool charts. It does display correctly on in the V7 Scan Tool. (fixed in RC5)
[*=1]When searching for PIDs in the V8 BBL or Scan Tool setup windows, the PID groups are now automatically expanded to show all PIDs that were found. (fixed in RC5)
[*=1]Setting the "Auto" check-box for BBL configurations is not remembered. (fixed in RC5)
[*=1]Changed BBL alarm alert time setting to correctly show time is 10x ms. (fixed in RC5)
[*=1]Disabled BBL alarm hold time setting because it is not implemented on FlashScan/AutoCal for BBL yet. (fixed in RC5)

Regards
The EFILive Development Team

Tre-Cool
April 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Blacky, can you tell me if the 255kph limit has been fixed or is planned to be fixed in the new scanner. or is it a hardware limitation?

Blacky
April 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Blacky, can you tell me if the 255kph limit has been fixed or is planned to be fixed in the new scanner. or is it a hardware limitation?
Sorry, I'm not up to speed on the limiter you are referring to. Which controller? And is there a thread explaining any of it that you can point me to?
Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
April 9th, 2013, 01:30 PM
nah. it's an old issue even from the ls1 days where the scanner wont show any speed readings above 255kph. the graph flatlines at 255 even if you adjust the min/max values.

does the same on e38 too.

Blacky
April 9th, 2013, 02:09 PM
nah. it's an old issue even from the ls1 days where the scanner wont show any speed readings above 255kph. the graph flatlines at 255 even if you adjust the min/max values.

does the same on e38 too.

The VSS PID will only ever show up to 255km/h that's a hardware limit. Actually its a data definition limit set down by CARB/EPA.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 9th, 2013, 02:12 PM
scanner wont show any speed readings above 255kph

:coool:

I take it Mr. Plod and his laser/radar gun wasn't around when you found this out :)

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
April 9th, 2013, 02:29 PM
They were.... but it was a sanctioned event. :-)

http://youtu.be/o2GR64jC5ew

That was a roll on 800m.

the below screenshot is the 1000m standstill.
http://www.vyssute.com/downloads/Wyalcatchem%20Race%20Wars/E38_0133-time.png

is there anything you can do to make it work? im curious to know how the dash works then. the ve ssv dash is setup for 280kph. the dash in mine now only goes to 260 and it was sittign on the bottom for a bit.

any chance of getting a custom file to "correct" the data definition to go to atleast 300?

Blacky
April 9th, 2013, 02:52 PM
There's nothing we can do to change that PID.

Maybe try creating a calculated PID using the TOS (transmission output speed) PID.

TOS in rpm divided by the diff ratio will give the wheel speed in rpm.
To convert the wheel rpm to rph (revs per hour) multiply by 60
To get the km's traveled by one wheel rotation is wheel circumference in mm)/1000000 (there's 1 million mm in 1 km)

So if your diff ratio was 3.11 and your wheel circumference was 750mm then the expression would be like this:
km/h = {GM.TOS}*60*750/1000000
or
km/h = {GM.TOS}*0.045

To sanity check that:
Assume TOS=TIS of say 1500rpm which should be around 50-80kmh in 4th when the trans ratio is 1:1.
1500*0.045 = 67.5 km/h

Edit: Arrgghh I forgot to include the diff ratio so try this instead:

So if your diff ratio was 3.11 and your wheel circumference was 750mm then the expression would be like this:
km/h = {GM.TOS}*60*750/(1000000*3.11)
or
km/h = {GM.TOS}*0.014469

To sanity check that:
Assume TOS=TIS of say 1500rpm which should be around 50-80kmh in 4th when the trans ratio is 1:1.
1500*0.014469 = 21.7 km/h (which I guess is probably more realistic with a 3.11 diff)

As far as I know, the dash works by getting a VSS pulse output signal from the ECM {H0105} which has no such 255km/h limit. The pulses just get faster and faster and faster.
I'm pretty sure you can change the dash speed display without altering the internal speed used by the ECM (for shift points etc) by altering that H0105 output to the dash.

But I could be wrong, Ross (aka gmpx) would know for sure.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
April 9th, 2013, 03:37 PM
nevermind.

i also added the gear ratio multiplier. this is what i came up with and it works.

{GM.TIS}*60*2114.29/(1000000*3.46*0.852)
using this one to remove tcc slip rpm.

({GM.TIS}-{GM.TCCSLIP})*60*2114.29/(1000000*3.46*0.852)

Thanks Blacky

DeadRinger
April 10th, 2013, 01:14 AM
[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
Bugs that have been reported over the past 6 months have been fixed in this release. If you have reported a bug but discover that it has not been fixed or has only been partially fixed in this update, please report the bug again in this thread.

Its looks like the bug for OS 24237276 on the T43 controller where its missing the Pattern B shift time tables "Desired Shift Time Input Torque Mod (Pattern B)" is still there in RC4

is this fix going to make it in this next time around?

tokymon
April 10th, 2013, 02:06 AM
sub'd

izaks
April 10th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Problem reading and writing LS1B controllers that previously read / wrote ok with V7.5 (512 and 1mb)
Fails - Bootloader rejected
Reason
Controller has returned to normal operation, please retry the operation.
Works with V8

joecar
April 10th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Problem reading and writing LS1B controllers that previously read / wrote ok with V7.5 (512 and 1mb)
Reason
Works with V8Does this happen with either of V7 tunetool and/or with V2 BBF...?

izaks
April 10th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Only tried V2 Tune/Scan

ScarabEpic22
April 10th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Im not sure if this is a fixable bug or not, but it's literally been "bugging" me.

With an LLY, you can pretty much enter whatever values you want into the tables. For example, the Main Injection Pulse {B0720} has a limit of 5000 microseconds, yet you can enter 5500 in any of the cells and save the file. It does this without any errors and when you re-open it, there are no errors/OOR cells. This seems to apply to most fuel-related tables in the LLY that use mm3, microseconds, or Crank Angle Degrees as their values. Tables with % and Factor units seem to work ok. {B0782} correctly limits entered values to 99.61, the max value allowed. {B0787} correctly limits to a factor of 2 as well.

See the sample tune attached, it is the same one included in the default EFILive V7.5 installation.

Some of the tables that I can verify do not adhere to the max value defined by EFILive:

Main Injection:
B0720
B0721
B0727
B0729
B0731
B0740
B0747
B0751
B0752
B0755
B0756
B0761-B0780

Timing Base:
B0908
B0909
B0910
B0926
B0927
B0928
B0850

Fuel Pressure:
B1001-B1002 - defined limit of 250, yet actually limits values to 256 (makes sense because 256 is a hard limit).
B1004
B1006
B1011-B1012
B1014-B1019

Tables that do:

Main Injection:
B0782

Timing Base:
{B0921}
{B0902}
{B0903}
{B0904}
{B0905}
{B0906}
{B0907}

All boost-related tables (desired level, vane position)

Cougar281
April 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Have an issue installing the RCs. My 'My Documents' folder, among others, is redirected to a network location.

When I try to install the RC's, I'm getting the following errors:

V7:
Setup Can not create the following folder:
\\Domain path\users\%username%\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins\ Custom OS

V8:
\\Domain path\users\%username%\Documents\EFILive\V8\Config

This has been the case for every RC I've tried to install.

Blacky
April 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
With an LLY, you can pretty much enter whatever values you want into the tables. For example, the Main Injection Pulse {B0720} has a limit of 5000 microseconds, yet you can enter 5500 in any of the cells and save the file. It does this without any errors and when you re-open it, there are no errors/OOR cells.

The B0720 table has a soft upper limit of 5,000ms but a hard upper limit of more than 30,000ms

This is the text that is displayed if/when the hard limits are exceeded.

EFILive enforces two sets of limits on each calibration's value(s),
a hard limit set by the PCM and a soft limit set by EFILive.
The soft limits are displayed at the top of each calibration window,
labelled as Minimum and Maximum. If any calibration value exceeds the
soft limits but not the hard limits, then that value is displayed with a thin red
border indicating that the value is probably out of range.

The hard limits, not displayed, are usually the same as the soft limits,
except in rare cases where EFILive adopts a more conservative limit than
the PCM. For example, the hard limits for spark advance are -64 to 64 degrees.
EFILive imposes a more conservative set of soft limits of between -60 and 60 degrees.

The hard limits cannot be exceeded. If a calibration file is loaded containing
values that exceed the hard limits, those values will be coerced so that they lie
within the hard limits and reported in this "Out of Range" tab page.

EFILive will not permanently alter the "Out of Range" values, unless that
calibration window is opened and at least one cell value is changed.
In that case, all cells will be saved with their current "in range" values.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
April 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Ok thanks Paul, I know about the hard/soft limits. The values are surrounded by a thin red line so the soft limit is working. I just didnt know if it would hurt the PCM/ECM if you flashed a file in with OOR soft limit values and Im guessing it wont.

Also, in V8 the Info button shows the correct version but the copyright date is only 1998, I believe before it was 1998-2012/13.

joecar
April 10th, 2013, 09:29 AM
In V8 BBX, when I open file Options.txt it seems to forget that I checkmarked Auto (as in Automatic Transmission) on each pidlist.

Blacky
April 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Ok thanks Paul, I know about the hard/soft limits. The values are surrounded by a thin red line so the soft limit is working. I just didnt know if it would hurt the PCM/ECM if you flashed a file in with OOR soft limit values and Im guessing it wont.

What settings will/won't "hurt" the PCM (or more importantly the drive train) are not controlled by the hard soft or hard limits. The soft limits are really just sanity checks for catching mistyped values. The hard limits are limits that simply cannot be exceeded due to the bit size of the memory allocated to store the data.
On some LS1's setting the speedo pulses per km (or mile) too high or too low - even while staying within the hard limits can brick the PCM. Although, because it happened too many times we changed the hard limits to prevent those extreme values from being entered. But there could be other calibrations that if changed to extreme values will cause either the PCM to fail or the drive train to be damaged.

Also, in V8 the Info button shows the correct version but the copyright date is only 1998, I believe before it was 1998-2012/13.

I got annoyed at having to update the second part of the year range (i.e. 1998-2012) each time another year rolled by so I did some research to find out how other software companies handled it.
Turns out you should only include the year of publication. So I went with that. Some places indicate that you should include a comma separated list of years when new/additional features were added. But in that case I would be adding a new year to the list every year which would be even more cumbersome.

There are strict technical requirements as to what a copyright notice must contain if it is to serve its purpose of preventing an innocent infringer defense. A valid copyright notice contains three elements:

the copyright symbol ©, or the words "Copyright" or "Copr.,"
the year of publication, and
the name of the copyright owner.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 10th, 2013, 10:24 AM
In V8 BBX, when I open file Options.txt it seems to forget that I checkmarked Auto (as in Automatic Transmission) on each pidlist.
I never considered saving that selection along with the PID list. But looking at it again, it really does need to be saved along with the PID selection.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 10th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Have an issue installing the RCs. My 'My Documents' folder, among others, is redirected to a network location.

V7:

V8:

Investigating...
Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I never considered saving that selection along with the PID list. But looking at it again, it really does need to be saved along with the PID selection.
Regards
Paul

And after looking even closer, it is supposed to be saved. Checking/unchecking that checkbox changes the *.pmm file name suffix from _A (auto) to _M (manual), i.e. the data listed in the Module(s) column. The correct module name is saved to the Options.txt file. However, when the Options.txt file is re-opened it is always loaded as _M - effectively un-checking the "Auto" option. I'll get it that fixed asap.

Related problem: setting the checkbox in the BBX settings does not update the PIDs to their Auto settings. It does work correctly in the Scan setup. For example, look at the sub-pids for the LS1B enhanced PID STATE02. When Auto is not checked the last two items are "REVINH Reverse Inhibit" and "CPSW Clutch Pedal Switch". After you check the Auto checkbox (in the Scan window) those two sub-pids change to "TCCPWM TCC PWM Solenoid Command" and "TCCSOL TCC Enable Solenoid Command". That same change does not work in the BBX setup window - which will be fixed asap.

IMHO using the same PID to store different data depending on the transmission type was not a smart design choice by GM back in the day.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 10th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Reason
Works with V8

Investigating...
Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
April 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM
What settings will/won't "hurt" the PCM (or more importantly the drive train) are not controlled by the hard soft or hard limits. The soft limits are really just sanity checks for catching mistyped values. The hard limits are limits that simply cannot be exceeded due to the bit size of the memory allocated to store the data.
On some LS1's setting the speedo pulses per km (or mile) too high or too low - even while staying within the hard limits can brick the PCM. Although, because it happened too many times we changed the hard limits to prevent those extreme values from being entered. But there could be other calibrations that if changed to extreme values will cause either the PCM to fail or the drive train to be damaged.

I got annoyed at having to update the second part of the year range (i.e. 1998-2012) each time another year rolled by so I did some research to find out how other software companies handled it.
Turns out you should only include the year of publication. So I went with that. Some places indicate that you should include a comma separated list of years when new/additional features were added. But in that case I would be adding a new year to the list every year which would be even more cumbersome.

[/LIST]

Regards
Paul

Got it Paul, thanks for replying!

Blacky
April 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Reason
Works with V8

Hi Izak,

I can only get that error to occur when the seed/key is messed up. By selecting "Try Alt Keys" in V7 that problem is bypassed and the read/flash can continue.
If that is not the problem, can you send me the *.blx trace files for the failed attempt(s). (send to paul@efilive.com)

Regards
Paul

izaks
April 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Files sent

GMPX
April 11th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Its looks like the bug for OS 24237276 on the T43 controller where its missing the Pattern B shift time tables "Desired Shift Time Input Torque Mod (Pattern B)" is still there in RC4
It's not a bug, GM just didn't have the tables. That was a first year release T43 OS, I guess they shared shift time tables between patterns in the early TCM's.

joecar
April 11th, 2013, 02:02 AM
And after looking even closer, it is supposed to be saved. Checking/unchecking that checkbox changes the *.pmm file name suffix from _A (auto) to _M (manual), i.e. the data listed in the Module(s) column. The correct module name is saved to the Options.txt file. However, when the Options.txt file is re-opened it is always loaded as _M - effectively un-checking the "Auto" option. I'll get it that fixed asap.

Related problem: setting the checkbox in the BBX settings does not update the PIDs to their Auto settings. It does work correctly in the Scan setup. For example, look at the sub-pids for the LS1B enhanced PID STATE02. When Auto is not checked the last two items are "REVINH Reverse Inhibit" and "CPSW Clutch Pedal Switch". After you check the Auto checkbox (in the Scan window) those two sub-pids change to "TCCPWM TCC PWM Solenoid Command" and "TCCSOL TCC Enable Solenoid Command". That same change does not work in the BBX setup window - which will be fixed asap.

IMHO using the same PID to store different data depending on the transmission type was not a smart design choice by GM back in the day.

Regards
PaulI had not noticed that the state pids were overloaded... Hmmm, I seem to remember that the REVINH and CPSW share the wiring as TCCPWM and TCCEN.

Thanks for looking.

Blacky
April 11th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Files sent

I re-posted the email that I sent to you here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?22447-FlashScan-AutoCal-USB-Drivers-IMPORTANT-INFORMATION
Other users may run into the same issue...

Regards
Paul

nm2769
April 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I have a 2000 Pontiac GTP that I just read the ECU were am I supposed to send the file? Any word on tuning support for this ECU?

Blacky
April 11th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I have a 2000 Pontiac GTP that I just read the ECU were am I supposed to send the file? Any word on tuning support for this ECU?

Send it to me at paul@efilive.com
Regards
Paul

nm2769
April 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM
File sent

Blacky
April 11th, 2013, 04:59 PM

V7:

V8:

I logged this with Indigo Rose as a problem with their installer.
Their reply was: The network share on which the My Documents folder resides is accessible by the currently logged in user. When the installer starts, it elevates itself (by asking you for a password) to an admin account. The elevated admin account does not have access to the network share and so the install fails. More information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

I struggle to understand how a standard user can have access to something but an admin user with elevated privileges does not. This was the articel that I was told to read for a better understanding of what is actually happening.
I'm still waiting for a better work around for the problem, but there may not be one. Sorry that this has bitten you in the ass, but Microsoft's UAC security system is not easy to figure out or to implement against.

Regards
Paul

izaks
April 11th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I re-posted the email that I sent to you here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?22447-FlashScan-AutoCal-USB-Drivers-IMPORTANT-INFORMATION
Other users may run into the same issue...

Regards
Paul
Problem solved- USB driver problm
Not sure what happened between RC 3 and RC4.
Thanks

Cougar281
April 12th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I logged this with Indigo Rose as a problem with their installer.
Their reply was: The network share on which the My Documents folder resides is accessible by the currently logged in user. When the installer starts, it elevates itself (by asking you for a password) to an admin account. The elevated admin account does not have access to the network share and so the install fails. More information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

I struggle to understand how a standard user can have access to something but an admin user with elevated privileges does not. This was the articel that I was told to read for a better understanding of what is actually happening.
I'm still waiting for a better work around for the problem, but there may not be one. Sorry that this has bitten you in the ass, but Microsoft's UAC security system is not easy to figure out or to implement against.

Regards
Paul

The only way I can see the admin account not having rights to the network share is if it's a local admin account. That's likely what it is running as.

I agree 200% that MS's UAC is a pain, and it's useless, quite frankly. Also, unlike in Win7, in Win8, when you 'disable' it, it's never actually disabled (Try opening the hosts file directly with notepad while logged in as an admin user and saving it, rather than right-click notepad and run as administrator and opening it that way) :cussing:

Since it's the installer doing it, I would say it's not your issue to fix, but these installer companies need to get on the ball if they want to stay around.

Highlander
April 12th, 2013, 03:47 AM
This has been from quite a while ago!

Blacky
April 12th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Since it's the installer doing it, I would say it's not your issue to fix, but these installer companies need to get on the ball if they want to stay around.

There is a kludge you could try if you really need to install it to a network share.

Copy the entire \My Documents\EFILive\V8 folder tree to someplace where a normal user can access it.
Log out and log back in as the standard user.
Copy the saved My Documents\EFILive\V8 folder tree to the user's My Documents network folder.

I have not tested that, but I can't see why it would not work.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 12th, 2013, 08:34 AM

I've been through 3 different installer companies in the past few years:
InstallAware - too crappy and too hard to use.
Pantaray QSetup - good, but not good enough support for incremental updates.
Indigo Rose Setup Factory - very, very good, just this issue so far.

There is a solution that I can deploy (suggested by Indigo Rose support) . Install all the files that would normally be installed into "My Documents" into a read-only holding area in Program Files. Then when the software starts for the first time (while running as the actual user) and it finds that the user's "My Documents\EFILive\V8" folder does not exist, it just copies the entire My Documents folder from the "read-only holding area".

It is probably a better solution that what I am doing now. Because any time a new user is created and you run the software under that new user, the My Documents\EFILive\V8 folder will be created and populated. Currently if you install the software, then create a new user the new user's "My Documents\EFILive\V8" folder will not exist.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
April 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I'll chip in here as im a windows syadmin..

The reason the program wont have access to the redirected my docs, is generally a permissions issue on the users folder. Depending on how the base mydoc folder was created on the server it may not have permissions for sub-folders. for example

It admin setups up a folder on say the d: of a server called user-data d:\user-data\ within this directory will be all the username folders of all the users in which "my documents" redirects to. Generally only the account who setup the base folder will have access to the sub folders along with the user who "owns" the folder. So if your using a different admin account then the one specifically used, it wont work, especially if your supplying elevated privileges for a local admin (local pc) and not a domain admin account.

(share permissions are not going to affect the file system permissions, generally the share can be set to full control for everyone, it'll still limit to local file level permissions)

DeadRinger
April 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM
It's not a bug, GM just didn't have the tables. That was a first year release T43 OS, I guess they shared shift time tables between patterns in the early TCM's.

How do I change the shift times on Pattern B? When I set the trans to sport mode the data logging shows Pattern B.

I've set all the shift timings for all the tables to .2... in normal (def) mode there's no doubt its a 0.2sec shift time - both by feel and the logs show it... when I put in Sport mode (pattern B) its the stock laggy 0.4 to 0.8sec shift times. My testing shows that the pattern B shift times aren't being changed at all...

so if you're saying that the tables aren't there then where is the trans getting the slower shift times since I've changed them all to 0.2sec? Are you saying that the T43 with this OS isn't using tables for the PatB shift time? (since if they were shared with a different table, I should see a change in shift timing since they're all changed to the same values) :help:

GMPX
April 12th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I don't know the answer, we'll have to look in to it, but certainly on the early T43 OS's the table just didn't exists like in the later ones.

ScarabEpic22
April 12th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I don't know the answer, we'll have to look in to it, but certainly on the early T43 OS's the table just didn't exists like in the later ones.

Yay, everyone a big "Thank you!" to GM for that! :crash:

scidav87
April 13th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Ever since downloaded the RC2 software and now the RC4 my EFILive won't unlock LMM ecms. Why?!

Duramax 6.6L
April 13th, 2013, 06:05 AM
sub'd

GMPX
April 13th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Ever since downloaded the RC2 software and now the RC4 my EFILive won't unlock LMM ecms. Why?!
Might need to give a little more detail, what are you trying to do, read it, flash it?

SS2win
April 13th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I just updated from RC2 and now get the following errors starting EFILive Explorer

The third error only comes up if I wait 10 seconds before clicking OK.

I didn't get any errors before the updates.

Blacky
April 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I just updated from RC2 and now get the following errors starting EFILive Explorer
I didn't get any errors before the updates.

Check the five files' dates/times in Windows explorer, they should be all within a minute or so of each other and the same as in the image shown below.
If not, then it is possible one or more exe's were not updated during the install. In that case, try uninstalling EFILive V8, deleting the \Program Files\EFILive\V8 folder, rebooting your machine then reinstalling EFILive V8.

Regards
Paul

ar077
April 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM
What does "The DPF/EGR restrictions for US based customers are not part of RC4" mean? I've heard that the EPA has forced EFILive to delete the capability to disable EGR. If so, What was the last release that still has this feature?

Blacky
April 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM
EFILive will be voluntarily removing the DPF and EGR calibrations from our software for US based customers. See this for more information... https://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=167&Itemid=158
The current RC4 software has not had those features removed yet. Those features will not be removed prior to the final RC version going public. That public version will be the final version with the EGR/DPF capabilities included.
After that, the next release will have those features removed for US based customers only. Non US based customers will still have full access to the DFP/EGR features.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
April 15th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Paul/Ross, are we going to see the E67 calz's updated here soon? I mentioned a few weeks/months ago that 12618164 is missing the MAF TCS Patch and it would be really helpful to have that added. Thanks!

DeadRinger
April 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM

I just learned that whats missing isn't a pattern B shift table, but a Based Desired Shift Time for pattern A/B

That would explain what I'm seeing

GMPX
April 16th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Paul/Ross, are we going to see the E67 calz's updated here soon? I mentioned a few weeks/months ago that 12618164 is missing the MAF TCS Patch and it would be really helpful to have that added. Thanks!
At some stage they all will be when we get the 3D torque model done.

L31Sleeper
April 16th, 2013, 08:57 AM
EFILive will be voluntarily removing the DPF and EGR calibrations from our software for US based customers. See this for more information... https://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=167&Itemid=158
The current RC4 software has not had those features removed yet. Those features will not be removed prior to the final RC version going public. That public version will be the final version with the EGR/DPF capabilities included.
After that, the next release will have those features removed for US based customers only. Non US based customers will still have full access to the DFP/EGR features.

Regards
Paul

How will this policy be enforced when you download the software ?

Thanx
-Justin

L31Sleeper
April 16th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Can I download the good copy if I walk across to Mexico :laugh:

Thanx
-Justin

Blacky
April 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Can I download the good copy if I walk across to Mexico :laugh:

Thanx
-Justin

Yes, if your PC/laptop "knows" its in Mexico and not in the US.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 16th, 2013, 09:19 AM
How will this policy be enforced when you download the software ?

Thanx
-Justin

We know that there will be US based customers who will try (and most likely succeed) to bypass the EGR/DPF removal. All software restrictions can be bypassed given enough time and resources.

The reason we are removing the EGR/DPF is not for our protection but for our US customers' protection. We don't want US customers to modify those calibrations and find themselves in trouble with various regulatory agencies. So it would be an exercise in futility if we just posted how to bypass the restrictions.

Eventually folks will work out how to bypass the restrictions themselves - after all most of the folks who tune their vehicles are very smart and computer savvy. However, by having to make the changes necessary to bypass the restrictions the customer making the changes will not be accidentally changing the EGR/DPF calibrations. They will be doing it with the full knowledge that it is not something that was delivered as part of the EFILive software to the US region.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
April 16th, 2013, 09:33 AM
At some stage they all will be when we get the 3D torque model done.

Woot, that should be REALLY cool to see! HPT just added the torque model stuff a month or so ago, you guys are going to give us a nice, pretty, and functional 3D model. Awesome. :D

We know that there will be US based customers who will try (and most likely succeed) to bypass the EGR/DPF removal. All software restrictions can be bypassed given enough time and resources.

The reason we are removing the EGR/DPF is not for our protection but for our US customers' protection. We don't want US customers to modify those calibrations and find themselves in trouble with various regulatory agencies. So it would be an exercise in futility if we just posted how to bypass the restrictions.

Eventually folks will work out how to bypass the restrictions themselves - after all most of the folks who tune their vehicles are very smart and computer savvy. However, by having to make the changes necessary to bypass the restrictions the customer making the changes will not be accidentally changing the EGR/DPF calibrations. They will be doing it with the full knowledge that it is not something that was delivered as part of the EFILive software to the US region.

Regards
Paul

I completely understand EFILive's reasons, if you look at EVERY other handheld/tuning platform (dont know about SCT), they've long disabled this feature. I think HPT removed it back in late 2011, thats 1.5yrs ago everyone.

I can see a market for guys overseas modifying tune files for DPF deletes and charging a pretty penny for it, but I also imagine US guys will try to bypass the restrictions. But, at the end of the day, if EFILive has done their best attempt to block it in the US, that should make the EPA happy (note the *should*, I hope it does because this tuning suite is great).

dansdieselp
April 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM
The Unlink option for Autocals doesn't seem to work.

GMPX
April 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Woot, that should be REALLY cool to see! HPT just added the torque model stuff a month or so ago, you guys are going to give us a nice, pretty, and functional 3D model. Awesome. :D
That is funny I wasn't aware of that, I am sure if you read back far enough you will see them telling customers that those torque coeffs are a waste of time :doh2:

Blacky
April 16th, 2013, 05:06 PM
The Unlink option for Autocals doesn't seem to work.

What is the error message? Or what happens to indicate that it doesn't work?

You must have the latest firmware in FlashScan and AutoCal.
The unlink process only works if you have the FlashScan device connected to your PC that was used when the AutoCal was originally linked - which means on ly the original tuner who linked the AutoCal in the first place can un-link it.

Regards
Paul

dansdieselp
April 16th, 2013, 05:22 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/17/8uqegyru.jpg

This is what comes up. Trying to unlink the Autocal from my GM V2 to my Cummins V2 for a customer that sold his Duramax and Bought a 07 5.9. Both the Autocal and V2 have the latest firmware from RC4.

ScarabEpic22
April 16th, 2013, 05:59 PM
That is funny I wasn't aware of that, I am sure if you read back far enough you will see them telling customers that those torque coeffs are a waste of time :doh2:

Oh I have, then after another member (and me later) posted up that he doesnt have to scale his trans tune they added them.

They are definitely NOT a waste of time, you can control almost TOO much of the ECM's behavior to the TCM with them! *Almost*, if you use them correctly they're gold.

On the AC unlink, I should have some free time tomorrow and Ill try it on an AC I have here.

Highlander
April 17th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Nevermind... I was reading too much into the Torque Coef Tables... LOL

Thanks

Blacky
April 17th, 2013, 11:36 AM
This is what comes up. Trying to unlink the Autocal from my GM V2 to my Cummins V2 for a customer that sold his Duramax and Bought a 07 5.9. Both the Autocal and V2 have the latest firmware from RC4.
The error "unknown command action" means the PC based software has sent a command to the device that is not implemented in the device's firmware. Almost certainly because the device's firmwar eis not actually up to date.
What firmware versions do you see on the [F2: USB] tab page of the Control Panel?

Arrgghh - I mean What firmware versions do you see on the [F6: Firmware] tab page of the Control Panel?

Regards
Paul

dansdieselp
April 17th, 2013, 11:49 AM
2.07.36 on Autocal
2.07.36 on Flashscan

Blacky
April 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
2.07.36 on Autocal
2.07.36 on Flashscan

RC4 installs with firmware V2.07.37, can you check the folder:

\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Firmware
or
\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8\Firmware

and see if you have firmware files ending with .37?

Regards
Paul

dansdieselp
April 17th, 2013, 12:21 PM
It shows 2.07.36 It looks like I'm still on RC3. Could of swore I had installed RC4, but that may have been on a customers laptop. I'll install RC4 and try it out.

Highlander
April 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM
The tune tool... is one real nice piece of editing software... i freaking like it............

ScarabEpic22
April 17th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I know this wont even be on the drawing board for V7, but for V8 would it be possible to include DTC text in searches? If you enter say "evap" into the search bar in V7.5, if will show you the EVAP system test and any other mention of "evap", except in the DTC/MIL list. Having this list be searchable in V8 would be very helpful when checking to see if all DTCs with a phrase such as "evap" have been set correctly.

ATPCummins
April 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM
If someone has an autocal from one tuner and decides to switch to another tuner, will the tunes on the autocal from the original tuner still have the ability to be flashed after it has been linked to the new tuner?

Auto locking - does that lock the ecm so that it cannot be flashed over with another tune, or just so that it cannot be read out?

GMPX
April 18th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Auto locking - does that lock the ecm so that it cannot be flashed over with another tune, or just so that it cannot be read out?
That depends on the ECM type.
Bosch or Cummins ECM's will only be blocked from being read out, they can still be flashed over.
Delphi ECM's (LB7/LLY) will be blocked from reading or flashing.
There's not a lot we can do about that, it's just how the ECM's are designed by each manufacturer.

cindy@efilive
April 18th, 2013, 09:41 AM
If someone has an autocal from one tuner and decides to switch to another tuner, will the tunes on the autocal from the original tuner still have the ability to be flashed after it has been linked to the new tuner?

I've put together a FAQ document that I'll send those customers that purchase AutoCal through us. It's probably still a couple of days away at this point.

The answer to your question is that once the AutoCal has been Flashed with the new tuners tunes, the original tuners files can no longer be flashed. You won't need to worry about end users keeping copies of your tunes if they decide to switch.

That said, the process for relinking requires some education. Once you unlink the AutoCal there are 2 methods to relink.

The tuner connects the AutoCal device to a FlashScan V2 device and selects the link option, or
The tuner sends a file that was "saved for AutoCal" to the customer and the end user flashes that file into their vehicle.

Tuners and end users should note that if the end user re-flashes a tune file made by the original tuner after unlinking, but prior to flashing a file made by a subsequent tuner, then the AutoCal will be relinked to the original tuners FlashScan V2 device.

Unlinking is just the first step to a customer moving on, it's the subsequent Flash to the new tuners tunes that completes the changeover.

Cheers
Cindy

ATPCummins
April 18th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Bosch or Cummins ECM's will only be blocked from being read out, they can still be flashed over.
There's not a lot we can do about that, it's just how the ECM's are designed by each manufacturer.

Thanks for clearing that up.

ATPCummins
April 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I've put together a FAQ document that I'll send those customers that purchase AutoCal through us. It's probably still a couple of days away at this point.

The answer to your question is thatonce the AutoCal has been Flashed with the new tuners tunes, the original tuners files can no longer be flashed. You won't need to worry about end users keeping copies of your tunes if they decide to switch.

That said, the process for relinking requires some education. Once you unlink the AutoCal there are 2 methods to relink.

The tuner connects the AutoCal device to a FlashScan V2 device and selects the link option, or
The tuner sends a file that was "saved for AutoCal" to the customer and the end user flashes that file into their vehicle.

Tuners and end users should note that if the end user re-flashes a tune file made by the original tuner after unlinking, but prior to flashing a file made by a subsequent tuner, then the AutoCal will be relinked to the original tuners FlashScan V2 device.

Cheers
Cindy

What if the end user tries to flash a tune from the "old" tuner after it has been linked to the "new" tuner?

cindy@efilive
April 18th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I edited my post Mike so you may need to re-read it given you've quoted the original text. It still means the same, just worded it a little differently.

Cheers
Cindy

ATPCummins
April 18th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I edited my post Mike so you may need to re-read it given you've quoted the original text. It still means the same, just worded it a little differently.

Cheers
Cindy

I was editing my post while you were editing your post lol.

cindy@efilive
April 18th, 2013, 11:51 AM
What if the end user tries to flash a tune from the "old" tuner after it has been linked to the "new" tuner?

It will fail, just like it would now if someone else tried to flash any AutoCal you have sent an end user. The AutoCal licensing details are attached to the FlashScan device, if that device number doesn't match it can't be flashed. All we've done is implement a method where with tuner consent, the FlashScan V2 license details can be changed.

Mike, another consideration that I didn't post about initially is stock files.

Tuners should implement a process to ensure the end user’s stock file is converted from the original FlashScan V2 to the new FlashScan V2. Failing to do so will prevent end users from flashing their stock tune.

Cheers
Cindy

Blacky
April 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM

Just a further clarification on this...

If you use the auto-lock feature which is currently only available for E38, E54 (i.e. LB7) and E60 (i.e. LLY) then you can (or your customers can) flash over the top of the locked tune without having to "unlock" it.
How it works is like this:

You send your customer a tune that has the auto-lock flag set, EFILive flashes the new tune and locks the controller (and remembers the key that was used to lock the controller).

If anyone tries to read the controller it will always report "controller locked", so no-one can read the tune unless they have the key, but only the AutoCal (and the tuner's FlashScan) devices know the key.

If anyone tries to flash over the tune one of two things will happen:

If the flash attempt is made using the AutoCal that was used to flash the auto-locked file or the FlashScan that was used to create the auto-lock file (either pass-thru or standalone) then the flash will be successful. That is because the AutoCal and FlashScan devices know the key and they will allow the controller to be unlocked if it is being re-flashed.
If it was flashed with a file that also has the auto-lock flag set then the controller will remain locked after the flash.
If it was flashed with a file that does not have the auto-lock flag set then the controller will be unlocked after the flash.
If the attempt is made with another tuning package or with an AutoCal or FlashScan device that was not involved in the creation/flashing of the auto-lock file then the flash will be denied and an "ECM is locked" error will be displayed.

That allows a user to flash his vehicle back to stock at any time without having to wait for the tuner to do it for him - even if the tuner has locked the ECM.

Regards
Paul

ATPCummins
April 19th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Thank you for your help Cindy, and Paul.

Blacky
April 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
The EFILive software is now available as a general public release here:
https://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

Regards
Paul

IJ.
April 19th, 2013, 01:27 PM
DL'd and installed thanks Paul, do you have a change log for each version posted anywhere?

cindy@efilive
April 19th, 2013, 01:50 PM
On the downloads page you'll find under the Download link for the V7 software another link titled What's new. That will list all V7 updates.

Under V8 software you will find 2 What's new links, one for V8 and one for firmware.

Cheers
Cindy

IJ.
April 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks Cindy!
(don't know how I missed that.... )

kangsta
April 19th, 2013, 04:16 PM
On the downloads page you'll find under the Download link for the V7 software another link titled What's new. That will list all V7 updates.

Under V8 software you will find 2 What's new links, one for V8 and one for firmware.

Cheers
Cindy

I only see the new features for Build 229, there used to be a link to all the historical changes. Is it still available?

izaks
April 20th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Getting error $0322 after full reflash of E38 finishes.
This ECM was autolocked on previous release. Reset locking and then attempted to full flash the ECM and fails at the end of the flash. Tried a number of times, fails every time.
When I try to read the ECM, it fails saying ECM is locked with custom key

Blacky
April 20th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I only see the new features for Build 229, there used to be a link to all the historical changes. Is it still available?
No, I didn't see the point of keeping all that info around.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Getting error $0322 after full reflash of E38 finishes.
This ECM was autolocked on previous release. Reset locking and then attempted to full flash the ECM and fails at the end of the flash. Tried a number of times, fails every time.
When I try to read the ECM, it fails saying ECM is locked with custom key

Can you send the *.htx trace files of the failure to me at paul@efilive.com
Regards
Paul

izaks
April 21st, 2013, 01:53 AM
File sent.

catman3126
April 22nd, 2013, 02:07 AM
Sub'd