PDA

View Full Version : Torque South's black 2013 BUICK TURBO project

Boost
April 13th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I have acquired a very special vehicle for my next project. It is perfect for me in more ways than I can describe, but I am just thankful to God that this exciting chapter of my life has finally begun. This model fits the theme and times very well and is a perfect follow up to our now maxed out black 2012 turbo Cruze.

So far, I have read and saved the T76, successfully scanned and logged it as well as the E39.

With my slightly outdated version, the E39 read failed - even with a special Cal. file that Ross sent me several months ago to have a try at an earlier build date Verano T. My plan is to update to the latest version on my backup tuning laptop, it should definitely work then. However I need to find out if the firmware will also need to be updated in the V2 to match - and if so, will it still work with the slightly earlier software on the primary tuning laptop. I am reluctant to upgrade until I am 100% sure that it won't interfere with the exceptionally successful Duramax work I am doing. For those of you that know what I mean...

As far as the vehicle, two thumbs and a big toe up so far. It literally mops the floor with the Acura and Audi in its class, and wait 'till the engine breaks in a little more and I put some 93 octane in it. I will update this thread with interesting developments whenever I have a chance, hopefully it will be another success story and a fun journey and learning experience for all who care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Dwcr_g2xs

GMPX
April 14th, 2013, 11:27 AM
With my slightly outdated version, the E39 read failed - even with a special Cal. file that Ross sent me several months ago to have a try at an earlier build date Verano T.
Sure it's not an E39A ECM? if so then the latest RC4 will get you going.

Sweet35th
April 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM
GMPX, I read my E39A regal as well and it would not open up with RC4

GMPX
April 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Mmm, ok, there was 5 OS's we needed to add for the E39A, the earliest one (12655477) I didn't complete in time, is that what you have?

Sweet35th
April 14th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Ironicaly, my os is 12655477

cindy@efilive
April 14th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Good luck with your project Roland....as a lover of coffee, I liked the advertisement, especially when it involved REAL coffee and a great car....just wish I could get one here!

As for updating your software, we are recommending that all users update to RC4. I'm not aware of any issues with it for Duramax, and we expect that this will become our public release in the next week or so.

Cheers
Cindy

GMPX
April 14th, 2013, 07:46 PM
We do have them, just called an Opel Insignia (http://www.opel-australia.com.au/vehicles/opel-range/cars/insignia-sedan/index.html), looks like the comparable model is $47K out here though.

joecar
April 15th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Interesting car (has very nice lines)...

do Opel and Holden have a relationship that Holden is happy with, or is Opel stepping on Holden's turf...?

GMPX
April 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Holden used to rebadge Opel's, but now they are competing against each other. Problem is I think buyers are a little smarter these days and know that most vehicles in GM's line up are the same world platform with a few local changes. Typically though the Opel offerings do have a wider choice of engines, such as the 2.0L DI Turbo motor in the little Astra. But for about the same price you could pick up a brand new SS Commodore!

Boost
April 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys / gals!!! What I have is an Opel Astra with an LHU. It is a Cruze with a Regal Grand Sport Engine. I got the automatic and it's black on black! :)
Already de-badged and being "broken in" proper. Initial plans include a drop-in K&N (which should be the same part # as the 1.8 Cruze / Sonic) and some serious tuning. The turbo should be good to low 300 wheel hp and I have faith in the trans. - it will just have to cowboy up to it. The engine should be unstoppable until it runs out of fuel, being a high performance variant of the LNF Cobalt SS unit.

Sweet35th
April 16th, 2013, 02:01 AM
GMPX, any idea of when that OS will be availale. Im getting itchy to tune this thing.

GMPX
April 16th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Sorry, I'll do it this week and post up here, I'm working on a 2014 E39A OS as well so doing both at once sort of speeds things up.

Boost
April 16th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Seems like we are in the same boat. I updated everything to the latest and greatest and now both controllers read and say Unrecognised PCM. Here are all the pictures of the results and info. I am sending in both files to Ross and hoping for the best. I think this OS might be a very popular one and with the track record of EFILive possibly days away from support.

Boost
April 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
My Verano now has over 1000 miles on it (I picked it up with 7 miles). I have kept the manufacturer recommended procedures for the first 500 miles immediately followed by a "break-in oil change" with 5w30 Penzoil Platinum Dexos full Synthetic and filter. It has been on Shell 93 every time, the dealer fill of 87 crap is long gone.

I have run it 3 times at the drag strip @ 900 miles, and regretfully it has also participated in a dozen street races. I will not go into detail as my policy as T.S. has always been against illegal racing, at the same time I am no hypocrite so let's just say the only loss was to a Ferrari 458 Italia, the list of victims includes a modded V6 Fusion, a new Jag, a V6 BMW M3, a new C300 Mercedes, a V6 Dodge Challenger, a modded newer Civic Si, A Porsche Boxter, a modded newer Maxima, and an utter humiliation of a brand new turbo Hyundai Velugster manual.

As far as the 1/8 mile races I will post the slips soon, I went 9.4 @ 76 mph and lost badly to my arch rival in a 2009 Infinity G37 2 door automatic. He went 8.9 @ 84 mph - rematch is coming but it won't be easy to beat him.

The car is completely stock right now, it is a fully loaded black on black automatic transmission 2013 Buick Verano T (2.0 di LHU / 250 hp / 260 tq / 3.23 final drive). A drop-in (panel / stock air box) K&N filter will be installed tomorrow night, I expect about 2 hp and slightly better sound from that. I am messing with the tuning, but the more boost and torque I ask for, the slower it goes.

I think it weighs around 3500 lbs, sticker says 4500 gross and I always go as light as possible. I am having a lot of trouble deciding to run with T/C on or off - I will ask lots of questions about this later.

Courtesy of EFILive I am able to fully tune the E39A ecm, and soon there will be dramatic improvements. As of now with my modest results I am claiming fastest Verano in the world / USA / Florida until someone can disprove it. I know there are at least a couple "anti-EFILive" Veranos out there, so BRING it! - these are my bone stock first time results and I will be in the 8s soon, GOD willing.

GMPX
April 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Courtesy of EFILive I am able to fully tune the E39A ecm, and soon there will be dramatic improvements. As of now with my modest results I am claiming fastest Verano in the world / USA / Florida until someone can disprove it. I know there are at least a couple "anti-EFILive" Veranos out there, so BRING it! -
Trifecta has Fanboys too hey?

Boost
April 28th, 2013, 12:15 PM

:mrgreen: LOL, allegedly making +70 wheel horse, and already on E85. I have yet to see legit documentation. All I care about is daily driven 93 octane drag strip results (TIME SLIP), until then I will group that with the "250 hp Sonic and 400 hp ATS". I cannot find any ethanol around here, my gas cap is not yellow, I am 100% stock so far and daily drive to work to pay bills. So when they beat my times I will start worrying. I still think I have the fastest STOCK ltz Cruze in the world... :music_whistling_1:

GMPX
April 28th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Brian at VTuner now has he's ATS on E85, so look out Fanboys :mrgreen:

ScarabEpic22
April 28th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Ugh I was dealing with this at our TBSS meet in Seattle on Saturday, thats all Im going to say.

I want a Sonic so I can blow any Trifecta one out of the water, just not in the cards right now. Might have an interesting engine setup/swap going into my TBSS in the future though, time (and money) will tell...:D

Sweet35th
April 29th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Boost, I am still unable to open my GS file. What changed that you were able to open it?

Also nice times. What were the conditions?

Aslo, reply'd to your email.

GMPX
April 29th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Download the software versions shown here (both V7.5 and V8).
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

Full E39A support is in those.

Boost
April 29th, 2013, 01:49 PM
^ what he said ^ :mrgreen:

Yeah, we know that Brian's E39x stuff WILL be properly tuned, like all his other vehicles.

It's just that (I think) most of us EFILive guys are modest and humble, and that doesn't help with the teenage idiot crowd with little to no knowledge of automotive things.
I see this over and over, it's almost a rule of thumb to stay away from shops with ignorant followers. Oh well...

Sweet35th, thanks bud! Conditions were just a few feet above sea level at Countyline Dragway in Miami, it was a nice crisp night at about 70 degrees Farenheit and low (for us) humidity, little to no wind. I had about 900 miles on the odometer, and over a half a tank of 93 octane. I lowered my front tires to 24 psi and left the back ones at 32.

I kept it in "D" (not manual) for all 3 runs, the first run was the fastest - with the Traction Control off (but ESP still on). I launched at roughly about 2000 RPM, spun and wheel hopped the front tires terrible and shook a burned the tires for what seemed like an eternity but was really about 1-2 seconds. By this time the G37 coupe was about 3+ cars ahead - because he also "treed" me. I pulled hard through 2nd gear and gained over a half a car back. The shifts take a while stock, (defuel?) so in 3rd we pulled about evenly with my car finishing strong but 2 cars behind the Infinity. Here is timeslip:

I wanted to do better but I know wheel hop breaks axles and stuff so I decided to try with the Traction Control on. I also asked the ECM for 50 more torque and 3 more psi boost. I launched at aboout 2500 RPM, and it took a very soft full one second pause, then smoothly rolled off the line gradually picking up speed towards the end of 1st gear. It felt very healthy and smooth, but not necessarily fast. I was running agains a newer Civic Si stickshift with intake and exhaust. We had the same Reaction Time, but I pulled 3 cars on him out of the hole, and what seemed like 10 more at the end of the track. In the middle of the track, the turbo was really screaming, and I thought I beat my time and ran much better even with the soft launch. But it turned out my time was 1 tenth slower all the way, and even the ET mph was lower. I feel the computer was taking away tons of power to protect the trans. as well as to "predict" wheelspin.

So I decided to go back to the stock tune which ran significantly faster, but still keep the T/C on to avoid wheel hop / spin. Again a huge soft pause off the line and very gentle super smooth launch then strong power and very nice acceleration through 2nd and 3rd gear. This time I stayed very close to the G37 coupe the entire way since I treed him off the line, but he steady walked away from me the whole time and I still went 1-2 tenth slower than the first terrible run with the T/C off.

So I have learned that T/C on steals a bunch of power to "prevent" loss of traction - much like the Cruze. Also, it's not as easy as the Cruze to make power. Either the TCM, or something in the E39A tune works to counter everything you do to try to restore stock power levels (I think).
But I am making progress and will go much faster soon and get my revenge on the jap crap Z!

GMPX
April 29th, 2013, 02:07 PM
It's just that (I think) most of us EFILive guys are modest and humble, and that doesn't help with the teenage idiot crowd with little to no knowledge of automotive things.
That's just the internet for you, which is why I rarely look at any automotive websites apart from this one.

Boost
April 29th, 2013, 02:11 PM
me too, lol. but we're still kool!!!! :anitoof:

Sweet35th
May 1st, 2013, 12:20 AM
Very nice! Gotta admitt I am pretty envious of the conditions as we are supposed to get more snow in the next couple days.

Ill start playing with mine here soon.

^ what he said ^ :mrgreen:

Yeah, we know that Brian's E39x stuff WILL be properly tuned, like all his other vehicles.

I see this over and over, it's almost a rule of thumb to stay away from shops with ignorant followers. Oh well...

Sweet35th, thanks bud! Conditions were just a few feet above sea level at Countyline Dragway in Miami, it was a nice crisp night at about 70 degrees Farenheit and low (for us) humidity, little to no wind. I had about 900 miles on the odometer, and over a half a tank of 93 octane. I lowered my front tires to 24 psi and left the back ones at 32.

I kept it in "D" (not manual) for all 3 runs, the first run was the fastest - with the Traction Control off (but ESP still on). I launched at roughly about 2000 RPM, spun and wheel hopped the front tires terrible and shook a burned the tires for what seemed like an eternity but was really about 1-2 seconds. By this time the G37 coupe was about 3+ cars ahead - because he also "treed" me. I pulled hard through 2nd gear and gained over a half a car back. The shifts take a while stock, (defuel?) so in 3rd we pulled about evenly with my car finishing strong but 2 cars behind the Infinity. Here is timeslip:

I wanted to do better but I know wheel hop breaks axles and stuff so I decided to try with the Traction Control on. I also asked the ECM for 50 more torque and 3 more psi boost. I launched at aboout 2500 RPM, and it took a very soft full one second pause, then smoothly rolled off the line gradually picking up speed towards the end of 1st gear. It felt very healthy and smooth, but not necessarily fast. I was running agains a newer Civic Si stickshift with intake and exhaust. We had the same Reaction Time, but I pulled 3 cars on him out of the hole, and what seemed like 10 more at the end of the track. In the middle of the track, the turbo was really screaming, and I thought I beat my time and ran much better even with the soft launch. But it turned out my time was 1 tenth slower all the way, and even the ET mph was lower. I feel the computer was taking away tons of power to protect the trans. as well as to "predict" wheelspin.

So I decided to go back to the stock tune which ran significantly faster, but still keep the T/C on to avoid wheel hop / spin. Again a huge soft pause off the line and very gentle super smooth launch then strong power and very nice acceleration through 2nd and 3rd gear. This time I stayed very close to the G37 coupe the entire way since I treed him off the line, but he steady walked away from me the whole time and I still went 1-2 tenth slower than the first terrible run with the T/C off.

So I have learned that T/C on steals a bunch of power to "prevent" loss of traction - much like the Cruze. Also, it's not as easy as the Cruze to make power. Either the TCM, or something in the E39A tune works to counter everything you do to try to restore stock power levels (I think).
But I am making progress and will go much faster soon and get my revenge on the jap crap Z!

Boost
May 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Very nice! Gotta admitt I am pretty envious of the conditions as we are supposed to get more snow in the next couple days.

Ill start playing with mine here soon.

You're always welcome to visit! I'd love to have a beautiful GS in one of my upcoming videos...

Boost
May 5th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Buick Turbo Beats Everyone in Output (http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/buick-regal-gs-turbo-beats-everyone-output)

(click for Ward's 10 best engines article)

"This engine charges like an anggry water buffalo when you get the revs up, and yet, it's silky smooth." raves WardsAuto editor Drew Winter.

"You just breathe on the throttle and it responds so quickly," Anderson says. "The character of that response – we call it elasticity – is unique, not like a naturally aspirated engine. When that turbo is spooling, it's so right now, and the torque curve is flat over a very wide range. And we have to control it down to that torque. If you left it uncontrolled, the thing could make 500 Nm, (369 lb.-ft.) well beyond what the engine and driveline can mechanically take."

Sweet35th
May 6th, 2013, 06:42 AM
I am still getting errors trying to open my file with the latest update.

GMPX
May 6th, 2013, 07:14 AM
What error are you seeing? That it still not a supported OS?

Sweet35th
May 6th, 2013, 07:18 AM
What error are you seeing? That it still not a supported OS?

Unrecognized pcm.

Boost
May 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I am able to tune his file just fine. We have the same exact OS. As a matter of fact I ran his calibration down the track one time :hihi:

Sweet35th
May 8th, 2013, 02:54 AM
I am able to tune his file just fine. We have the same exact OS. As a matter of fact I ran his calibration down the track one time :hihi:

Ill delete all versions of EFIlive i have and try again.

Boost
July 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
9.21 @ 76.0 mph!!! 2.1 sixty foot!! 0.04 reaction time!

"Da Summer" now has 4646 miles on it. Engine oil has been changed two more times with Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 (I called the Shell engineers and they said while it is not "Dexos1" approved like the Platinum, it will perform way better in my LHU engine). I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I dropped in a K&N panel air filter into the unmodified factory air box. While I think that gives about 1-2 horsepower, you can definitely hear a little turbo action from the K04 if you listen carefully. I have also heat wrapped the intercooler to throttle body charge pipe with DEI brand heat reflecting insulation tape.

All in all I feel the car is making barely above stock horsepower, perhaps about 280. The latest tune I am running is definitely much more aggressive and feels a lot quicker, the turbo is louder and even with the Traction Control on the tires melt and the front goes bananas if I stretch my right leg from a stop.

However the data logs reveal similar to stock peak torque and the track trap speed is near identical...

I really feel the TCM is pulling power -- I NEED SUPPORT FOR THIS T76 PLEASE

(Here it is attached)

That being said this is how the night went:

After a nice frustrating day I randomly decided to go to the drag strip out the blue (very me). I felt there is lots of room for improvement and I wanted to try a new launch technique. I arrived at the local 1/8 mile track in the early evening of a hot, humid, windy Miami summer Friday. There were few cars -- all serious racers -- and the track was well prepped. I had a 1/4 tank of 93 octane Shell pump gas, and really no extra junk to weigh down Da Summer. I am right about 185 lbs. of pure muscle and beer. The tech inspector was kind, but made fun of my car, asking if it was a rental and even drew a funny smiley face on it... (thankfully there is no such thing as karma or he might get run over by a Cruze LOL).

So after cooling down the under hood and dropping the front tires to exactly 20 psi (the rears at 34 psi), I made my first pass. It looked like one of the daily tropical storms may start at any moment but it never did rain. I set up my V7 data log with the basics (I give up on BBL for now -- it really does not work, posting video as proof elsewhere) and decided to run in Manual shift mode to get a baseline. I did this mostly because we can't tune the tranny yet and it shifts harder and faster in Manual mode, also I wanted to short shift into 2nd fast.

As it turned out the car hooked great off idle and 1st gear went by so fast that I banged the rev limiter even with the 3.23 final drive. As a matter of fact I banged the rev limiter in 2nd as well, and the run was pretty much a waste. I normally leave it in Drive when I annihilate people because it is just so hard to shift this car in Manual mode. One thing I noticed though was the car hooked and launched sweet, ok 60' foot time. Here is the time slip and data log for this first run:

After another cool down I went for pass #2 this time in Drive with the same off idle launch. I really felt it would be a great run in the low 9s. The car took off sweet like a rocket and it even made a cute sound in 2nd like the big juice cars do when they scratch their slicks on the upshifts. I went straight as an arrow with no dancing from the suspension and it felt real good, I thought to myself "at the very least it will be one of those runs that feels really fast but only matches my best time". I get my time slip and BAM! -- 9.3 @ 76.0, new record!! Here is slip and log is also attached:

15453 15455

I was super happy of course and I immediately texted and Facebooked and such the results. All I had set out to do was to fix a messed up day by beating my personal record which happens to be THE WORLD'S QUICKEST AND FASTEST BUICK VERANO AND 2013 BUICK :mrgreen:

Now I had something to celebrate so I let the intake temps cool a bit again and had a few Coronas while watching the races. But later the night was still young (around 9:45 pm) and it still hadn't rained despite the black clouds and humidity, even lightning (stunningly beautiful in the backdrop of Old Glory blowing in the wind while looking down a drag strip that used to be an illegal landing strip for drug planes and the spot for ATV racing...). So I thought "how nice would it be to get three runs in, I'd like to try a tiny bit harder launch since the tires showed no sign of resistance on the last sweet hole shot". So I poured out all the melted ice from the beer cooler in the truck and set up my dater-log one more-gain.

Of course I went around the water on all of these runs. Very pleased with the smooth and fast take-offs WITH Traction Control off -- a stark contrast to the violence during the last race with the stupid G37 when I tried to brake boost Da Summer out of the hole. My first two runs were in the left lane but for this last one I ended up on the right.

So I stage and rev the engine ever so slightly, barely boiling over idle at around 1100 RPM. I am in automatic Drive with the T/C off. As soon as the second yellow dropped, off I went and it sure felt good. A little scratch but no bounce and forward motion the entire time. Straight and fast -- I wish one of those Audis that were there would have been next to me, I would have showed them a little something something about Ecotec power. I gets my slip and SHAZAM!!! stupid low time (for me and this little project anyway)

Slip, and log is attached as well.

15451 15458

After that I was ecstatic and actually did not feel like running any more which is saying a lot for an O G like me that is an all-nighter and goes until axle break. (Torque South #9 anyone?) Heck I broke in this track's virginity (Torque South #4 anyone?).

You know that feeling when the car ran good so you want to take it easy on it? :exactly:

THANK GOD FOR A GREAT TIME AND ALL THESE BLESSINGS IN A DARK WORLD!

- Roland

madia
July 28th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Hello i have a E39A SIDI with OS 12652573.
the ecu will be supported?

cindy@efilive
July 28th, 2013, 10:04 AM
A range of E39A OS's are currently supported. There is also a number of OS's that are not presently supported, those will be reviewed after our next public release.

Cheers
Cindy

Boost
August 23rd, 2013, 05:34 AM
One thing that really needs to be fixed is that for some reason the stock TCM when in Manual mode, downshifts to 1st gear with a huge unhealthy bang almost every time when coasting to a stop. I think it is because it shifts to 1st gear at too high of a speed (even though it is rolling very slow?) and retains the hard shifting settings that are there in Manual mode. I am forced to shift back to "D" at stops to avoid ripping the mounts off (feels like, + concussion). It has done this since day one with 7 miles.

Other than that running VERY well, no doubt would / will be deep in the 8s (1/8 mile) with bolt-ons. In second gear from a roll it spins the 18" Continental tires violenly all the way to redline or until I let off. Definitely able to pull on all types of performance cars as well, even "punching above it's weight class".

I really like this LHU engine and look forward to MUCH more tuning of the ECM (and TCM!)

Boost
September 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM

I went back to the track on Saturday with a revised EFILive tune, still on 93 octane and weighing 3619 lbs without driver. I was able to best my time:

I backed it up on the second run, but my Reaction Time sucked because they surprisingly dropped a pro tree on me:

Things are getting exciting, one of my co-workers is picking up a modded Focus ST to race me, and I am already in competition with two of my Duramax customers in the low 9s with around 500 horsepower. Once I hit the high 8s (soon, God willing) - I will make the trip to Palm Beach International Raceway to grab a full 1/4 mile slip. There is little doubt my STOCK, full street trim, 4 door, front wheel drive, 4 cylinder economy car will be deep in the 13s: right now the conversion calculator says 14.2 @ well over 100 mph...

joecar
September 17th, 2013, 02:10 AM
lol, the people in the timing shack noted your ridiculously low RT from the first run, so for the second run they decided that you would average it out, lol.

Boost
September 18th, 2013, 12:31 AM
:anitoof: Haha, thanks Joe! Yeah when I pay attention I've been getting good ones. Can't wait to go back!

Boost
October 26th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Just hit 10,000 miles. I've got me a half dozen more 9.1 @ 77 mph timeslips, need to go back since the car feels much faster now that I've improved fueling and power enrichment tables. Still would really like support for my T76 if / when possible. Here is a little video from yesterday:

http://youtu.be/jBugvpYYFgI

Boost
November 5th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Another 9.10 @ 77.0

I just installed a custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust - now fueling and MAF is waaay off and I must do some serious logging and re-tuning to get it running decent again.

My project has come to a complete halt until I can figure this out (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23428-E39A-Trouble-Logging-must-resolve-Please-Help)

Boost
November 5th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Ok, well thanks to Ross' help, I am back on track data logging this headache. Now with the exhaust system everything is out of wack, the car is loud and slow and needs a massive re-tune. The good thing that came out of this is that now I am forced to tune it properly and also even with the crap "tune" that it has now it still ran -what in my book- is a 13.9 @ 100 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not bad for an overweight 4 cylinder 4 door automatic grocery getter.

The goal now is to dial it in with EFILive so it actually feels good on the street again and try to beat my best time. Also it is very important to beat my other 2 rivals that are constantly trying to outdo me (2013 Focus ST turbo 300 hp & 2011 Duramax LML 4wd 600 hp), and when I get in the 8's I will make the trip 2-3 hours north to run the full 1/4 mile at West Palm Beach. I will definitely be deep in the 13s and thay should make the EFILive newsletter... :lookaround:

Boost
November 5th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Pouring over my data logs, the only outstanding thing I see is that I have almost no boost until very high RPM. This is not right for an engine that makes peak torque at 1700 RPM, but consistent with what I have been feeling. While some of my theories were that the A/F ratio is off and not helping to spool the turbo, or more realistically the boost is being pulled due to extra air flow reported (which is that table, that cancels HP gains from intake and exhaust on these controllers??).

But really, I think the "PWM" of the wastegate actuator needs to be adjusted because perhaps the back pressure of the restrictive factory exhaust was helping it spool before but now the wastegate needs to remain closed (???)

Boost
November 6th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks to how great everything is working in EFILive (now that I've had to slap myself into remembering how to use it properly again :hihi:), I was able to make great strides towards my goal with this beastly LHU engine. In only a day and a half of powerful datalogging and minor but critical changes to the "air" tables, I went from 280 lb-ft torque to 335 :shock: @ 26 psi boost - and feel every bit of the difference. Da Summer now tries to shred the tires off the wheels in the first two gears even with Traction Control on, and low RPM boost is back - making the exhaust tone quiter, smoother and deeper. MPG has improved noticeably, and the car is much more enjoyable to drive, even shifts better and faster at a lower RPM. I am nowhere near done, just reporting that I am having a blast and it's back to "happy tuning". :fluffy:

The Opel Performance engineer I talked with in Germany states they got 369 lb-ft torque max out of this 2.0L powertrain with only a tune and catback. So I am well on the way and within a stone's throw of deep 13 second 1/4 miles. When I start publishing those results I am sure the car will become a little more known. Already I am the local favorite of the Grand National crowd at the drag strip, and some of these guys that line up with me are still trying to figure out what happened. They get left at the tree...

Boost
November 7th, 2013, 11:38 AM
353 lb-ft Torque now, still @ 26 psi boost. Power comes in early at a low RPM and is sustained throughout the massively broad curve. Car runs and sounds great, half throttle in 2nd jumps to 80 mph in about 1 second. I will post the 353 torque data log later.

joecar
November 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hi Boost,

You forgot to log VSS... without it I can't do power/acceleration number crunching...

What is the weight of your Buick (with you in it, as you would run at the dragstrip)...?

If you reduce your pid channel count (try no more than 24 pid channels), your logs will contain more frequent data (improves precision of number crunching).

Boost
November 8th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks, I will definitely do that this morning! I had it selected but it was too many PIDS and something had to go so I lost VSS for now. I will add it this morning, until then here is the 353 log with the same PID selection. (Frame 5333) The Buick weighs a lot, the Gross weight sticker is something horrible, but in reality about 3500-3600 lbs. (definitely way over 3600 with driver).

Boost
November 8th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Here is a log with less PIDs for faster sampling, and with VSS included. It made 349 lb-ft torque @ 25 psi, and there is a nice 1-2-3 gear blast towards the end.

My Gross Weight sticker says 4501 lbs, my max load sticker says 882 lbs, and I weight 185 lbs. So by that math (4501-882+185), the race weight would be around 3804 lbs, and I am not sure that is taking into consideration a 1/4 tank of fuel and liquids.

Boost
November 12th, 2013, 12:00 AM
My big challenge now is tuning the boost / wastegate. I noticed that my most powerful tune is laggy and peaky. I can also manage a brutal instant hit at low RPM which I like, but midrange and top end suffers I suspect due to drive pressure.

Also, I have some bad fluttering of boost - it's on and off when I try to achieve the best of both worlds. I am not sure if the springs need to be upgraded, feels like perhaps the wastegate and / or recirculation valve is dumping.

The goal is to have 20 psi boost from 2000 to 6000 RPM, with a peak of 360 lb-ft torque and NO FLUTTERING. There is no doubt that I need to understand more about the balance of the system to accomplish this.

Boost
November 12th, 2013, 09:54 AM
From multiple new datalogs I have determined that it's definitely boost acting up, and most likely the bypass valve. The hesitation is most exaggerated from a low RPM "lug" roll in high gear, and the logs show that Timing and Wastegate Duty Cycle are NOT being pulled. It is only the boost that drops and with it the torque accordingly. Then it tries to command back up and the cycle repeats itself.

I will definitely upgrade to the Forge or similar performance bypass valve (not atmospheric though) with a mean a$$ spring. Seems that just as in the Cruze 1.4T, they have mechanically limited pressure with a soft spring.

One more thing I have to log is actual throttle plate position, but I am pretty sure it's the spring (Cruze closes throttle on its own when it gets mad). For now I will have to go down to lower boost like 22 or so to avoid this annoying symptom. I spiked 27 psi today in 2nd gear...

Also, it seems that it can hold 26 psi for a short while as long as it's not sustained from low RPM. Input is appreciated.

Tre-Cool
November 12th, 2013, 01:38 PM
have you played around much with the variable cam timing? i've been humming and arring about whethor the little 1.4t or 2lt td will be my next daily driver.

all though power wont be my ultimate goal, the ability to put the little 1.4t on lpg for economy is a factor over the price of diesel.

Boost
November 12th, 2013, 04:04 PM
The variable cam timing is HUGE on my list for making power in the future. I have been studying the Comp Camps tutorial and just brainstorming about opening the exhaust valves earlier for spool. A Regal tuner reports that "moving" the cams resulted in full boost and power at 7000 RPM - unheard of on an LHU.

For now I am working on reducing driveabilty problems and still trying to crack that 8.9 next Saturday at the drag strip. Just minutes ago I ordered an upgraded high performance Turbosmart bypass valve.

I can tell you that this little guy is stupid fast for a 4000 lb FWD Buick even on it's worst day on a poor tune.

Boost
November 13th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I am definitely going to try to change the spark plugs to one step colder. The temperature dropped big time around here and I am getting some pretty bad knock.

I heard the LNF love colder plugs with anything over 75 extra HP, and I am quite familiar with this route from the Rx-7 days. Will post pics and results as soon as I can.

Jakes4321
November 14th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Hey boost, I was noticing the same issues on my lhu (regal). I was having issues with boost not staying steady but fluctuating. Really interested how the turbosmart bypass valve works for you. Are you running stock map sensors our did you upgrade to 3 bar. Our weather dropped quickly here also but havent noticed an knock, I run 93 or e85 so maybe that helps. I still have your email and will send you my current tune, new to the 2.0t scene so take it easy on me.
Only mods I am considering is 3 bar maps, turbosmart or forge bpv, and maybe fab an intake to mount filter in fender. I also have a meth kit on shelf that i might just have to toss on car but not sure if its worth it since I run e85.

Boost
November 14th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Hey boost, I was noticing the same issues on my lhu (regal). I was having issues with boost not staying steady but fluctuating. Really interested how the turbosmart bypass valve works for you. Are you running stock map sensors our did you upgrade to 3 bar. Our weather dropped quickly here also but havent noticed an knock, I run 93 or e85 so maybe that helps. I still have your email and will send you my current tune, new to the 2.0t scene so take it easy on me.
Only mods I am considering is 3 bar maps, turbosmart or forge bpv, and maybe fab an intake to mount filter in fender. I also have a meth kit on shelf that i might just have to toss on car but not sure if its worth it since I run e85.

We are in the same boat my friend. I totally ignored the LNF in the SS because it was not "EFILive-able". Now I have to back track and read their experiences, actually on the "other" forum there is a wealth of info as far as timing and cams and such. I absolutely love tuning this car with my EFILive, but it is a heck of a challange. I look forward to doing it the right way and being patient - sometimes I "must" race my co-workers with 600 horsepower trucks and I turn the boost WAY up -that's when I get in trouble. I don't like to lose...

I am using 93 octane exlusively, there is no easy access to E85 here. I also tend to stay away from race gas and octane boosters as I have aluminized exhaust. I am running the stock map sensor, can you please explain the benefit of upgrading? I feel so left behind with this scene (LNF/ LDK / LHU crowd).

I think the meth kit is worth it, perhaps you can sell it to me? My T.S. BPV will be here real soon. Also looking into more mods. But the tuning is critical. Please do send your file and do stay in touch. I will let you know about the surging, it's a major problem.

tune@torquesouth.com

Jakes4321
November 14th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I fixed my surge issues, it was all in me being greedy. The 3 bar map would allow us to read above the 22psi (2.5 map) or 255kpa. Without it fueling would just be a guess once we boost past 22 psi. There are 2 map sensors on out cars.
Meth kit is for my camaro but would maybe use it on regal if i needed it. Will send you my tune when I get home and will stay in touch

Boost
November 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Yes the surge started with my greediness as well. So we need to get a 3 bar, and the what adjustments? Great info thanks a lot. I look forward to it.

Boost
November 14th, 2013, 02:38 PM

I went ahead with the spark plug change and found that the stock AC Delco plugs @ 11k miles had a nice evenly and perfectly burnt color and were properly gapped @ .33, as per GM spec and exactly as I gapped the new ones.

I was able to obtain on short notice the perfect plugs I wanted for this application. I got a real nice inside price on a set of Autolite XP Iridiums. They are made by Honeywell (Garrett) and as I understand are one step colder than stock and also fire much better and harder.

The car runs great and making lovely power with no significant Knock / Retard. I am very happy with this right now.

Boost
November 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I fixed my surge issues, it was all in me being greedy. The 3 bar map would allow us to read above the 22psi (2.5 map) or 255kpa. Without it fueling would just be a guess once we boost past 22 psi. There are 2 map sensors on out cars.
Meth kit is for my camaro but would maybe use it on regal if i needed it. Will send you my tune when I get home and will stay in touch

I can only half understand / agree with this for the following reason:

I agree that the surging IS boost and most likely caused by fueling. But I can cause this very same surging pretty badly @ just 10 PSI boost. So that eliminates it being from "guessing" fueling above 22 PSI boost. But it usually happens to me when I run very rich mixtures, so it could in fact be fueling. Also, I would like to understand why they would put a 2 bar sensor in something that runs a minimum of 17 PSI stock?

I can tell you that I have minimal surging now @ 26 psi, though I am running leaner and protecting with cold plugs and octane booster.

Also my friend (racing victim) in a boosted new Focus ST had surging issues as well and a re-tune fixed it. I will try to get him to find out details.

Boost
November 15th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Also my friend (racing victim) in a boosted new Focus ST had surging issues as well and a re-tune fixed it. I will try to get him to find out details.

So he called Cobb tuning and confirmed that the problem and solution lies in the Wastegate Duty Cycle table. I strongly suspected this also.

Right now I am running a tune with 26 psi and over 350 torque and zero boost surging / fluttering because the duty cycle is low and smooth at lower RPM / load. It's very laggy as you can imagine but takes away the knock and surging / fluttering. I am sure it will run 8's tomorrow.

Jakes4321
November 15th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Awesome!

Yeah our stock map sensor is 2.5 bar I believe, so anything over 22psi is just going to be a guess. It can work and you shouldnt have issues but if i planned on more then 22psi in this hooptie I would go 3 bar.

Same way i fixed my flutter/surge, i was getting greedy with the wgdc but also makes the car alot easier to keep traction. I am going to ramp boost in a lil smoother to try and keep traction then let it eat.

Hmm i havent had any knock issues yet besides the time my wife got 87 instead of e85. It wasnt her fault though it is a full service station. Just touchin the pedal and it was a knock box.

Good luck on the 8s! Come to chicago it shouldnt be a problem as long as it hooks! 41* here

madia
November 15th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Which 3 bar map sensor you can use on the LHU ?

madia
November 15th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Does anyone have a pinout for the maf the LHU GM 15865791?

Boost
November 16th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Which 3 bar map sensor you can use on the LHU ?

Yes I would like to know this also. I have a Duramax 3.3 bar on but of course that cannot be used as per the other thread.

Boost
November 16th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Does anyone have a pinout for the maf the LHU GM 15865791?

I do but the stupid graphics on my computer are acting up. Give me a while to figure it out.

Boost
November 16th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Awesome!

Yeah our stock map sensor is 2.5 bar I believe, so anything over 22psi is just going to be a guess. It can work and you shouldnt have issues but if i planned on more then 22psi in this hooptie I would go 3 bar.

Same way i fixed my flutter/surge, i was getting greedy with the wgdc but also makes the car alot easier to keep traction. I am going to ramp boost in a lil smoother to try and keep traction then let it eat.

Hmm i havent had any knock issues yet besides the time my wife got 87 instead of e85. It wasnt her fault though it is a full service station. Just touchin the pedal and it was a knock box.

Good luck on the 8s! Come to chicago it shouldnt be a problem as long as it hooks! 41* here

:cheers:

Jakes4321
November 16th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I believe thats the gm part number will also need plugs. If you look up gm lnf 3 bar map you can find kitsavailable e

Boost
November 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I believe thats the gm part number will also need plugs. If you look up gm lnf 3 bar map you can find kitsavailable e

Thanks bud!

Racing is scheduled here in just a few hours - weather permitting.

The stupid ass US Postal Service has lost my upgraded Bypass Valve, so I'll be running without it. No one can do their goddamn job right any more...

Boost
November 17th, 2013, 03:27 AM

After a few minutes of "turbo-touching" and beer-drinking, it's done. It wasn't ruptured but I still don't want that in my car.

Jakes4321
November 17th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Very purrttty, notice any difference?

Boost
November 24th, 2013, 03:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF2qdqVdmLs

Boost
November 24th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Very purrttty, notice any difference?

Yes, it holds the boost better and the WG duty cycle needed adjustment. Perhaps a tiny gain but eliminates a weak stock part and a potential for the good stuff to escape.

joecar
November 24th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Good job :cheers:

Boost
November 28th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Thank you my friend! :grin:

Boost
November 28th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Here are the logs from my two runs in the video. There is so much work to be done to make this tune right.

http://youtu.be/_YbghxR3PuI

joecar
November 28th, 2013, 08:54 AM
lol, I knew Fords were no good :laugh:

Boost
November 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
lol, I knew Fords were no good :laugh:

:good:

Actually one of my main nemesis('s?) is a 2013 Ford Focus ST that I work with every day. So far we have raced about 4 times from a roll on the street and each time he pulls just a tiny tiny bit on me. But he is absolutely terrified to race me at the dragstrip, and I am quite sure he cannot run my times. It is stick shift and weights significantly less, also has a professional Cobb tune and a Cobb short shifter and race motor mount that I installed for him. I am confident that the potential of my LHU engine and EFILive tuning will squash him in the end!

:cucumber:

Boost
December 14th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LJp5k0CYP0&feature=youtu.be

http://www.4shared.com/video/5Oh__Sbr/Torque_South_13.html (to download)

Boost
December 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
http://youtu.be/7LJp5k0CYP0

joecar
December 15th, 2013, 12:44 PM
:good:

Actually one of my main nemesis('s?) is a 2013 Ford Focus ST that I work with every day. So far we have raced about 4 times from a roll on the street and each time he pulls just a tiny tiny bit on me. But he is absolutely terrified to race me at the dragstrip, and I am quite sure he cannot run my times. It is stick shift and weights significantly less, also has a professional Cobb tune and a Cobb short shifter and race motor mount that I installed for him. I am confident that the potential of my LHU engine and EFILive tuning will squash him in the end!

:cucumber:Cobb of So.Cal...? I know where they are.

joecar
December 15th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Video #13LML pulls hard.

lol, Honda snacks.

Boost
December 15th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Cobb of So.Cal...? I know where they are.

Yes I believe so. It's a big company they do lots of tuning & products for a variety of stuff like 350Z, Mazdaspeed3 and Focus ST.

LML pulls hard.

lol, Honda snacks.

:) yes Joe, they were trying to scare me with that car saying it had a K-motor swap. They asked to race me, I did not know how fast it was because there were some quick 10k RPM ones out there with chutes. Turns out it was on boost but nothing serious Da Summer couldn't dispatch. ;)

LML was tuned by Kory Willis. (Airaid intake, h&s minimaxx (MCC custom tuning by Kory Willis at PPEI) DPF delete, 4" exhaust, Airdog 150 at 18psi, 1/2 fuel line to cp4 and stock fuel filter delete. It has just under 200k miles already, and runs very hard. Since he put the intake on it spools QUICK. We have been racing each other every single day since he got it, and on the street we are dead even. He has plans for huge upgrades and me some minor ones in the works. Hopefully I can still keep up...

joecar
December 16th, 2013, 06:59 AM
LML was tuned by Kory Willis. (Airaid intake, h&s minimaxx (MCC custom tuning by Kory Willis at PPEI) DPF delete, 4" exhaust, Airdog 150 at 18psi, 1/2 fuel line to cp4 and stock fuel filter delete. It has just under 200k miles already, and runs very hard. Since he put the intake on it spools QUICK. We have been racing each other every single day since he got it, and on the street we are dead even. He has plans for huge upgrades and me some minor ones in the works. Hopefully I can still keep up...lol, you might need a V8 transplant

:)

Boost
December 17th, 2013, 01:41 PM
lol, you might need a V8 transplant

:mrgreen: indeed

funny thing is I was the one that got this kid into Duramax racing, he was almost in diapers when I was terrorizing the track with my EFILive LBZ. Now he has becomw one heck of a diesel tech, and I am teaching him to race too... ;)

Boost
December 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Ok. As the new year approaches, I reflect on my short life and relatively brief experience with EFILive and I maintain that buying and becoming involved with EFILive was in the top 3 best decisions that I ever made. But I really like my current car and must make it go fast. I have hit a wall with tuning and performance and this thread must come to an end until I figure it out. The throttle body is closing to 40% and power / acceleration drops terribly. This is despite all the best tuning available with current EFILive support. I am thankful and impressed with it but it's potential has come to an end. The TCM is requesting Torque Reduction and "pooping" all over my 30 psi boost and 361 lb-ft torque party. I am starting a new thread to deal with this as I cannot make any more progress. No big deal.

NEW THREAD (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23580-THROTTLE-BODY-IS-CLOSING-E39A-Buick-Verano-T(urbo)&p=200962#post200962)

Boost
January 19th, 2014, 11:17 AM
http://youtu.be/y3CABAPYBEc

Boost
February 1st, 2014, 09:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrNYZCJDSww

Boost
February 7th, 2014, 03:20 PM
TODAY:

So here we are, with exactly 15,000 miles on the car. I am thanking GOD, Efilive, and friends for being by my side through this ordeal with the throttle body. It was a huge deal to me personally because I've gone to great lengths to acquire, keep and keep up, and modify the car - not to mention tuning and racing it properly with this software. Time to move on and fine tune and shatter records and hearts. The type off pull Da Summer has now is a tickle of what I knew this car was capable of all along. As you consider that I am just now dipping into the high 8 second 1/8 mile, high 13 second 1/4 mile, and high 3xx horsepower marks - keep in mind that this true daily driver is budget build with no help and does not have any of the popular modifications of the other Ecotec tuners (upgraded turbo, E85, methanol injection, etc.) It does not even have a downpipe.

But as Da Summer has never backed down from anyone ever all this time - even being stuck through a hundred races (and winning over 80% of them!) with 15 PSI boost and 275 horsepower due to the throttle body being less than 50% open every time I accelerated...

You better believe we shall have more confidence and far greater firepower with almost 30 PSI boost, almost 400 horsepower, and the throttle open all the way (1 0 0 %) every time and as long as I stay in the load pedal!!!

I am finishing a nice video from before when the ECM was behaving like asscheeks, and also going drag racing again tomorrow (GOD willing). I feel bad for the sorry son of a gun that dares line up with the new personality of Da Summer.

Boost
February 9th, 2014, 02:36 AM
http://www.streetfire.net/video/torque-south-14_2450845.htm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=809918209024599&set=vb.138386442844449&type=2&theater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XOJaXsrII&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XOJaXsrII&feature=youtu.be

joecar
February 10th, 2014, 08:47 AM
lol, your car is so sleeper... :cheers:

joecar
February 10th, 2014, 08:49 AM
People in the vid look at your car with their facial expression saying "wtf, he's going to race that...?!"

Boost
February 10th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Yes they do! :laugh:

Boost
April 10th, 2014, 10:31 PM
http://youtu.be/TvilEP6u-O4

http://youtu.be/TvilEP6u-O4

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=844742515542168&set=vb.138386442844449&type=2&theater

Boost
April 19th, 2014, 04:09 PM
http://youtu.be/lPhr2Q2LnYY

hog
April 20th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Your car doesnt weigh 2042kg or 4501 lbs, thats its Gross Vehicle Weight Registration. Thats its max weight going down teh road with passengers and cargo that the car is rated for.. On the scales it will be significantlt lighter. There is no way that your car weighs 500 lbs more than my 1997 reg cab shortbox 2wd fullsize GM truck.

peace
Hog

Boost
April 20th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Thank you hog I am quite aware of that. Which is why I stated 4000 lbs in the video. That is actually what it weighs with a full tank and me in it. The dry curbs weight is about 3700 lbs, add to that fluids, 15 gallons of fuel (@about 8 lbs a gallon), my 200 lbs, and there you go. This vehicle is fully loaded, not sure if you are familiar with all the glass and 10 airbags, and other heavy equipment that comes on these but it weights more than a Camaro and some regular cabs.

Bottom line is it's a very heavy car to be running low 13s in the 1/4 mile, and weights exactly what I said in the video. After all I did circle GVWR as well and most people know what that means.

But thanks for the clarification for those who don't!

hog
April 20th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Thank you hog I am quite aware of that. Which is why I stated 4000 lbs in the video. That is actually what it weighs with a full tank and me in it. The dry curbs weight is about 3700 lbs, add to that fluids, 15 gallons of fuel (@about 8 lbs a gallon), my 200 lbs, and there you go. This vehicle is fully loaded, not sure if you are familiar with all the glass and 10 airbags, and other heavy equipment that comes on these but it weights more than a Camaro and some regular cabs.

Bottom line is it's a very heavy car to be running low 13s in the 1/4 mile, and weights exactly what I said in the video. After all I did circle GVWR as well and most people know what that means.

But thanks for the clarification for those who don't!

Sorry I didnt watch theentire video, I shut it off as soon as I saw a picture of the GVRW circled/VIN scratched out titled "It's heavy".

I beg differ, most people do NOT know that the GVRW is NOT the actual weight of their car. At the drags whenever I ask someone what their car weighs, they run for the door sticker and I shake my head. Which is what I did with your video.

Your car is a very heavy car. It seems that the newer the car, the heavier they are. If it's got an engine people will race it.

Have you ran the 1/4 mile with it? ANy 60 ft times?
Thanks

peace
Hog

Boost
April 20th, 2014, 09:48 AM
No worries hog! You are right people are often clueless. Typically I subtract the max cargo sticker from the gross to get an approximate minimum weight - though I know that is still not exact. My 60' foot times are 2.0 seconds, I would say that is quite shocking for this setup. On the current tune my top end is suffering as I have a brutal first and second gear but 3rd through top end is rather weak partially due to my stock turbo and also my less than perfect tuning.

Basically it is a Cobalt SS with an extra 1000 lbs in a really nice luxurious body. I have way more features than a standard Cadillac LOL. It may actually weight less than 4000 lbs. to be honest, but is without a shadow of a doubt the world's quickest and fastest documented and unchallenged Buick Verano.

I have run the 1/4 mile at Palm Beach International Raceway on an extremely weak tune that literally had the throttle blade closed to 44% almost the entire way - to the tune of 14.3 @ 94 MPH.

My current setup is guaranteed to run at least 13.5 @ 100 MPH on the worst day.

Thanks for checking out my vid! Come on you can finish the whole thing, it's only a minute and change :)

hog
April 30th, 2014, 01:10 AM
No worries hog! You are right people are often clueless. Typically I subtract the max cargo sticker from the gross to get an approximate minimum weight - though I know that is still not exact. My 60' foot times are 2.0 seconds, I would say that is quite shocking for this setup. On the current tune my top end is suffering as I have a brutal first and second gear but 3rd through top end is rather weak partially due to my stock turbo and also my less than perfect tuning.

Basically it is a Cobalt SS with an extra 1000 lbs in a really nice luxurious body. I have way more features than a standard Cadillac LOL. It may actually weight less than 4000 lbs. to be honest, but is without a shadow of a doubt the world's quickest and fastest documented and unchallenged Buick Verano.

I have run the 1/4 mile at Palm Beach International Raceway on an extremely weak tune that literally had the throttle blade closed to 44% almost the entire way - to the tune of 14.3 @ 94 MPH.

My current setup is guaranteed to run at least 13.5 @ 100 MPH on the worst day.

Thanks for checking out my vid! Come on you can finish the whole thing, it's only a minute and change :)H ah, ya, I did watch the whole video. Nice work.

I agree a 2.0 60 ft is a great short time, esp. with your mass. My 97 GMC Sierra 2wd reg cab shortbox weighs around 4000 lbs, stock Vortec 350 255hp@4600rpm/330 lb/ft torque@2800rpm. All stock with only the muffler removed, it ran a 15.7-.9 @ 83-85mph with a 2.5-2.6 60 ft, going through the traps in 2nd gear at 5500rpm manually holding 2nd gear, or trapping in 3rd gear revving 3600rpm leaving the selector in drive. Times were the same regardless of gear selection, mph was a tad better holding 2nd gear. As is it would consistently stay ahead of my buddies 1996 Dodge Ram Indy"Pace Truck" 360 magnum V8, factory installed MOPAR headers, Mopar exhaust and Mopar performance ECM calibration and aftermarket air filter and air intake with the stock 3.91 sure grip rear. His truck required 92 octane or it would knock. He was pissed that my bone stock truck with highway gears, no posi would eat his truck out of the hole and although he was charging at my tailgate by the end of the 1/4 mile, he couldnt get by me.
His truck would run consistent 15.9's, and he didnt like it at all.
I had another buddy who had a 1991 454SS, 255hp@4000rpm/405 lb/ft@2400rpm, stock 4.10 gears, stock 4l80e with some sort of chip and aftermarket exhaust. When I was stock, we would leave together, but with his better rear gearing 4.10 vs. my 3.08's and his less WOT rpm drop 2.46:1 1st gear to 1.48:1 2nd gear, vs my 3.06:1 and 1.67:1 2nd gear, he would slowly walk by me and had about 1-3 lengths on me by the end of the 1/4.

Then I swapped to 4.10 rear gears with a locker, stock PCM tuning, speedo recal with a JET SCU-2000. Now I owuld leave on him by about a length, but he would still reel me in.
Then I installed a set of Hooker 2462-1hkr 1-5/8"x2-1/2"longtubes with 2 1/2 headpipes and cats onto a dual in/dual out muffler exiitting via dual 4" pipes before the left rear axle. Mild 87 octane PCM tune by Ed Wright of Fastchip. Only power increasing mod that was done was to lean out the PE Mode multiplier, stock timing, TM 100% removed, speedo shift points adjusted, allowed for WOT 3-4 shift plus some other O2 sensor related stuff was done. This was teh early 2000's when there was no aftermarket tuning capability like there is now. The exhaust and PCM tune actually made the biggest seat of the pants difference.
Next time at the track, 4.10 gears, locker, headers, exhaust, tune ran a 14.8@94mph with a 2.007 60ft time. Needless to say my buddy with the 91 SS was displeased in a large way. He started avoiding lining up with me.
Next mods were Mercruiser marine intake manifold with Multec 2 EV6 injectors which flowed about 29pph(not that I needed the larger injectors, itr was an exercise in seeing if it would work, this was teh 2nd North AMerican install, and 1st Canadian install, (that I know of). These intakes helped the Vortec 305/350/383 guys run boost and be able to fuel it properly as it got rid of those horrible 23 lb/hr@63psi CSFI(Central Port Fuel Injection) spiders.

Marine intake left, stock CSFI intake right
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb373/Paul_Schermerhorn/marineL31intakesidebyswide.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Schermerhorn/media/marineL31intakesidebyswide.jpg.html)
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb373/Paul_Schermerhorn/marineL31endtoend.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Schermerhorn/media/marineL31endtoend.jpg.html)

the marine intake eliminates all of teh internal "injector debris" inside of the 1996-2003 Vortec 305/350 intake manifolds.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb373/Paul_Schermerhorn/injectordebris.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Schermerhorn/media/injectordebris.jpg.html)

Marine Intake new as it comes from Merc/GM Marine
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb373/Paul_Schermerhorn/CASTINTAKE_250_161.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Schermerhorn/media/CASTINTAKE_250_161.jpg.html)

truck, yes that weird 4" rear high rake was stock. Blah.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb373/Paul_Schermerhorn/Bucket/ef45b7a8-749b-4f90-8de7-7c125c7d7be1_zpsfadae651.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Schermerhorn/media/Bucket/ef45b7a8-749b-4f90-8de7-7c125c7d7be1_zpsfadae651.jpg.html)

There was a group of guys over at the Pacific Performance Engineering, one of whom got a hold of about 8 of these GEN 1E Vortec marine intake manifolds thatw ere being stripped off of some Donzi boats so that carbs could be installed. Their loss our gain. And thats how the Marien Intake project began.

PPE truck performance site http://www.pacificp.com/forum/index.php
And specifically the Marine Intake Bible. http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317
That was also the where retrofitting the 0411 PCM into the Vortec GMT-400 trucks using the 2001-2002 Express van calibration originated. The 01-02 L31 Express vans were unique, they used the older GEN 1E 350 V8 engines, but were controlled with the newer dual 80 pin connectored 512kb 0411 PCM. I documented this fact, then later on a gentleman callsign "Lextech" made up some wiring pinout data sheets for the 1996, 1997 and 1998-1999 Vortec GMT-400 trucks to retrofit in the 0411 PCM. Lextech made it all happen, and is a member here as well.
The 0411 info was gathered here. http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240

So in the process of playing with my truck, I managed to blow about 7 transmissions, one of them being a pretty expensive build by a local trans builder. With this "built" 4l60e installed, I picked my truck up at 5:00 PM, the trans shop owner handed me the keys and said "have fun trying to break that one" and laughed, as if this trans would never break behind my stock longblock Vortec 350. Well after driving about half an hour I came to a stop sign out in teh middle of nowhere onteh way to teh dragstrip. I said to my passenger, "Well I had better see if if its shifting OK". So I stomped on is through teh intersection, as 5400rpm read on the tach and teh PCM commanded a WOT 1-2 upshift when all of a sudden there was a huge BE-BANG. I instantly let off the throttle, shited to neutral and shut her down and pulled over. The bang was loud and it felt really really dirty. We looked underneath, all looked well. I pulled the trans dipstick and the fluid was clear and smelled new. I started the truck and checked te level, it was fine. We hopped back into the truck, I selected 1st gear and applied some throttle. The revs cam up to 3000rpm just fine, then with no throttle I shifted to 2nd, it grabbed fine so I continued up through 4th and the TCC even locked.
We were about 15 minutes from the drags. At the next stop sign, selector in drive, I left the stop at about 1/2 throttle, when thetrans sjifted, there was another bang, not as bad, but I decided to turn around and hoep I got home.
I get back to town without issue, park my truck at the trans shop, drop my keys in teh drop box and head home with my buddy.
Mondayt morning I go to teh trans shop and talk to teh owner and decsribe what happened. He said it sounds like the sprag. So he pulled teh truck in, dropped teh trans and pulled it apart sure enough, the sprag had flipped. All was fixed, and I drove it for about 25,000 kms, and blew it up again. Warranty was 1 year or 20,000kms. So in went a stock 4l60e with an L35 V6 TC with converter code DCLF. This OEM TC gave me about 2800rpm of stall speed at WOT with the rear tires no moving. It felt really goo while driving and helped to reduce about 400-500 rpm of rpm drop during WOT upshifts. 5500rpm WOT upshifts used to result in the tach reading 3300rpm after the uupshift, with the DCLF TC the same upshift resulted i the tach reading about 3800rpm or so.
My Dad took my truck for a drive, and asked me if teh trans was slipping. It wasnt of course, he was just experiencing the extra stall speed. When at stops, I could apply about 15% throttle and the revs would come up to about 2000rpm and stay there as teh trans went through teh gears, then once the TCC locked, teh revs came down. It is a good TC IMO, esp. since it has OEM efficiency as well. It is perfect for someone who isnt sure about the world of performance torque converters. Its the same kind of swap for the GMT800(99-2007) trucks guys who have 4.8 and 5.3 engine in trucks with teh 4l60e/65e/70 transmission and install a TC from a Trailblazer that originally had the 4.2 Inline 6 cylinder engine. It gives the 5.3 a stall speed of about 2500rpm, more stall with the more torque your engine makes.

Of course the aftermarket performance TC's have better gains, but they are also expensive. TC's are often overlooked by people in their vehicles. I knew a guy that added a centrifugal supercharger to a truck. It was a 9 pound kit and gave hime evry pound it shoudl have, but he was disappointed in teh truck, so much so that he was going to take the blower off and sell it. I got him to install a 3200rpm stall converter, and he was amazed. The truck would spin the tires and fishtail when he matted it, totally changed the charater of the truck.

So since my last dragstrip passes, I had added my marine intake,and this stock DCLF Vortec V6 TC. During this period I also had some issues with vibrations and even threw a driveshaft. So a new custom steel unit was built and installed.

So at the drags, I launch and it felt good, then at about 3/4 track I felt a vibration that felt really bad so I let off and hit teh brakes. I ended up trapping at 14.8@50 mph or so. Needless to say that would have been my best pass ever. But that kind of talk is all BS, I needed the slip for my personal best, and didnt get it. Unfortunatley life has gotten i the way and I havent been back with that truck yet.

Needless to say, I understand having fun with vehicles that are on the heavy side. It takes extra power to make them quick, but on the downside, at least for me, the extra weight also is hard on parts. I dont think my truck did too bad. High 14's naturally aspirated with a stock longblock Vortec 350. Stock it would consitently beat Dodges best fullsize OEM modified truck offering of 1996. With a gear change was a dead heat with the 255hp 454SS(the 90 454SS was 230hp/385lb/ft with 3 speed auto/3,73 gears-1991-93 SS was 255hp/405lb/ft, 4 speed auto with 4.10 gears) My 97 and his 91 both had the 255hp SAE net power rating. And with minimal mods was running from the local Dodge Dakota R/T crowd.
The newer trucks do a lot better nowadays, but I had my fun. And with over a 1000 1/4 mile passes(29 pases in a 3 hour period 1 night), and thousands of street 0-60 passes and with over 400,000kms on the stock longblock, the truck has been fun, and owes me nothing.

Keep up the good work, it sure is fun isnt it?

peace
Hog

Boost
May 3rd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Hey, sorry for taking so long to read it and reply. Super interesting story! I'll be sure to share with my Vortec friends.

Boost
June 7th, 2014, 06:10 AM
So far so good, about 21k miles now. Mileage is terrible, that seems normal for these cars. Power is stupid and I don't even have it halfway dialed in. Made 341 torque on a DynoJet. Slicks wore out so I am back on street tires and our local track closed down. So for now it's been slow and I am working too much. Miss you guys