PDA

View Full Version : T42 config critique

IJ.
April 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Could I get some input on this file if there's anything I've done that's glaringly wrong thanks!

Car has a Multiplate Circle D 2700rpm high stall, I converted the file over from a HP Tuners file I'd paid to have done and am not sure if I've got it all.

tia

Ian J

joecar
April 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Is your tuner ok with you posting his work...?

IJ.
April 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Hi Joe,

thanks for the reply!

It's no longer his work and it was a file I paid for in HP Tuners format, I've asked them to review it but they won't touch it without me paying again...

I'm fairly confident I've got all of the tables correct just wanted someone to check my work, in hindsight I should have just done the tune myself and not paid for it as their work wasn't exactly "extensive" and not worth what they charged...

joecar
April 16th, 2013, 01:17 AM
ok, I'll look at it later today.

ScarabEpic22
April 16th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Hi Ian, first thing is all the checksums are disabled so BEFORE you can/EFILive will let you flash, you will need to update them so they are valid.

This appears to be an 06 GTO OS, is that what vehicle you are using it in? Other than the stall, is the trans built at all? Your torque management settings are pretty low for a stock trans.

Your WOT tables are way off, it will not shift at WOT with those settings.

I have made a few changes to shift points and matched the WOT settings across all the parameters. Since you have D7017 set to 93.75%, I have set the last 2 cells for each upshift to match the WOT value in the Parameters->WOT cells. (Compare this to the original one and you will see what I mean.)

Also, it will not lock the converter under WOT in any gear, I have not changed this as I was not sure if that was intentional or not.

I have attached an Excel file with the updated shift points per SSpdDmon's spreadsheet from here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?5876-Tool-to-help-tune-A4-shift-points

Side Note- Can we enable *.xlsx file attachements for the forum? I havent used a *.xls, .doc, .ppt file in years now, Office 2013 is the 3rd software version to use the .xlsx (or .docx, .pptx) format.

joecar
April 16th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Erik, for now just rename .xlsx to .xls.

joecar
April 16th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Also, in addition to what Erik edited, do this: set D4203 to 100% in all cells.

joecar
April 16th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Erik, do you want the TCC to not lock at low throttle (0% and 6%) in tables D3201, D4201...?

ScarabEpic22
April 16th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Erik, for now just rename .xlsx to .xls.

I just resaved it as a .xls, works but just another step lol!

joecar
April 16th, 2013, 06:10 AM
I just resaved it as a .xls, works but just another step lol!I'll find out if .xlsx/.docx etc are supported.

IJ.
April 16th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys,

Nice to meet you Erik and Joe

Car is a 2005 Holden but it's a bit of a FrankenCar and I had to use a 2006 OS as Holden never offered this combination of parts.

The Trans has just about every aftermarket piece in it, I'd actually like it to lock WOT in 3/4 that was my intention when I got the Multplate TC ;)

Also my file would have been in KMH not sure if that's why the shift points seemed low.

Engine will run to 7000 but 6500 is more realistic and should make around the 400>450 awkw.

IJ.
April 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Updated following the suggestions so far ;)

Have I missed anything?
(I like to go through it and apply the mods myself so I learn what I'm doing with this software, I forgot to save my Trans file when I converted back from HP COS to stock so lost everything and had to figure out the syntax differences to get this far)

Very much appreciate the help guys!|

IJ.
April 17th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Am I doing something wrong?

Posted 23 hours ago and it's yet to be "approved"

joecar
April 17th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Am I doing something wrong?

Posted 23 hours ago and it's yet to be "approved"It might be because you posted a link to some other place (the forum thinks it might be spam)...

( so I approved it )

the forum lets you upload/attach you tune files to your posts.

IJ.
April 17th, 2013, 12:17 PM
It might be because you posted a link to some other place (the forum thinks it might be spam)...

( so I approved it )

the forum lets you upload/attach you tune files to your posts.
Thanks Joe!
(figured it must be something I was doing/not doing)

Missed the attachments button DOH!

joecar
April 17th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Did you do a compare of your updated file against the old one:
i.e. open _0002.ctz like usual, and then open _0001.ctz as the alternate file, then click the sideways-double-arrow button, you can click on each of the differences to go to each table...
and when viewing a table like this, there are current, alternate, difference, percentage, absolute-percentage buttons in the toolbar right above the table.

I'll take a closer look later.

IJ.
April 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Yep transferred all of Erik's settings across and did your suggestions as well, just figured I'd get some more experienced input on what I've done just to check!

I've downloaded all of the Tutorials and will spend some time reading before I ask too many more questions, I spent a day at Swingtan's home getting the basics sorted and also spent a couple of hours re watching Calibrated Success Advanced yesterday (first time I watched it I still had HP so wasn't getting a lot from it)

Just waiting on a new Billet Pump for the Trans to arrive so I can put the car back together and start sorting the tune!

joecar
April 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM
What caused the pump to fail...?

IJ.
April 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Pressure Shock, sort of common I'm led to believe :(

Was on Cruise at 80 kph, bumped it up to 100 reengaged Cruise and it free revved...

Did all the Electronic checks I could think of as I'd just set the thing up with an E-85 Sensor so had the panic it was something to do with that (made it 9Km's after putting some E-85 in to test the sensor)

The Pump had done about 5000Km at that point.

ScarabEpic22
April 17th, 2013, 06:33 PM
IJ., hope my tweaks help! If you want it to lockup under WOT that is a pretty quick and easy change, I can make the changes tomorrow (hopefully) so you can get a general idea of what's needed.

Thanks for the feedback on trans specs, if it's fully built you can run more line pressure, less TM, and faster shift times to really get a firm shift.

IJ.
April 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM
IJ., hope my tweaks help! If you want it to lockup under WOT that is a pretty quick and easy change, I can make the changes tomorrow (hopefully) so you can get a general idea of what's needed.

Thanks for the feedback on trans specs, if it's fully built you can run more line pressure, less TM, and faster shift times to really get a firm shift.

Thanks Erik, if you have a look at the file I posted (002) I've incorporated all your changes and I think I've got the Lockup sorted ;)

IJ.
April 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Spent the morning wandering around all the Threads in this section :)

Thought I should post my Trans is basically a Raptor 700 with the CircleD Multiplate TC, A non PWM Valve fitted along with another to help keep the TC Full, I have a TransGo HD-2 Shift kit 5 Pinion Planetaries and the new bolt up style 3/4 drum.

joecar
April 19th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Ian, what vehicle is it going into...?

IJ.
April 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Ian, what vehicle is it going into...?
It's a VZ AWD Tonner Joe :)

IJ.
April 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Ok tidied it up a little after some suggestions :)

At this point I'm more concerned that I haven't programmed in a self destruct sequence anywhere, drivability will come later when it actually drives!!
(The syntax between Software had me wondering on a lot of settings but it's looking like I didn't get it too wrong)

Thanks for all the help guys!

ScarabEpic22
April 22nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Looks good, but you missed a few tables I modified that are going to really mess with your WOT upshifts and TCC lock/unlock. I looked at it again and realized I missed 2 tables as well in the 3->4 upshift area as well. I intentionally put the high values in the TCC lockup, it will really need to be determined by your particular converter. If it starts unlocking and locking when you're barely on the throttle, those cells will need to be put back to 255mph, but for now leave the values you had in there.

For your application, you could run 0 Torque Reduction if you wanted to. It is really hard on a stock trans, but yours is built so you could think about it.

IJ.
April 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks Erik,

Which 2 did you miss?

I wanted shift pattern B to run the engine to 6600rpm for WOT shifts is there a reason it's set back to 6200 in your file?

ScarabEpic22
April 22nd, 2013, 03:49 PM
Those were the 2 I thought I missed, apparently I didnt and you wanted them at 6600! I know the trans isnt stock, how built is the engine? I wouldnt recommend it if it's a stock engine or valvetrain, with upgraded springs/cam/pushrods and a forged bottom end you should be ok.

Do you know if you actually get into Pattern B/Performance mode? Do you have a switch? If not, the TCM is going to use the Normal pattern.

You just made the changes to the 0003 file, not the one I posted. Do a compare, there are a lot of little things your 0003 and 0004 dont have set correctly that I fixed in 0003_se22 like WOT shift speeds in both the Parameters section and in the Part Throttle shift table.

I have changed all of the shift points because right now, you have the potential that you will hit the rev limiter before shifting into higher gears. Remember you have to hit BOTH the RPM and speed values for the shift to be commanded, in Pattern B you have all of the higher TPS values ABOVE the WOT speed value. It has been my experience it *might* work, but the TCM is going to *think* for a split second instead of just shifting. Look at all of the Part Throttle shift tables, then look at the Parameters for that shift. I have the speeds set for a reason, these values need to match the Part throttle table which needs to match the WOT Parameter Enabler (which is why I have the last 2 cells for each pattern set the same, the TCM will treat 93.75% and 100% as WOT). Everything needs to match, I wish I knew why GM didnt do it but every vehicle Ive tuned has better shift feel and firmness having these all set equal.

The changes Ive made all make a difference, there IS a method to my madness I promise!

IJ.
April 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
LOL PM'd you a list :)

Engine will easily run to 7k, but 6600 is "safer"

ScarabEpic22
April 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
Got your PM, and LOL would put it mildly...

Ill work on an updated tune tomorrow. :D

IJ.
April 22nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks Erik!

IJ.
April 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Trans is back together, now I've lost the Lockup Clutch in my Daily... veru over dropping and repairing Trannies...

I'll finish off the Trans install then as long as it behaves there's no need to rush the Daily.

Might need that Trans file a little sooner if you see this Erik ;)

ScarabEpic22
April 28th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Ill try to check it out Ian, have to build another tune tomorrow night for a customer first though. Been tracking down a really weird issue that I havent seen before, driving me nuts.

IJ.
April 28th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Ill try to check it out Ian, have to build another tune tomorrow night for a customer first though. Been tracking down a really weird issue that I havent seen before, driving me nuts.

No probs Erik thanks again!

Shot back up to Home and grabbed my EFI-Live and shut the Converter off in the tune so it doesn't have a catastrophic failure on the Limp home tomorrow and trash the Trans.. (240Km round trip)

joecar
April 29th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Trans is back together, now I've lost the Lockup Clutch in my Daily... veru over dropping and repairing Trannies...

I'll finish off the Trans install then as long as it behaves there's no need to rush the Daily.

Might need that Trans file a little sooner if you see this Erik ;)When it rains, it pours...

Practice makes perfect...

( ok, sorry about old fortune cookies )

IJ.
April 29th, 2013, 01:12 PM
LOL Joe ;)

Left early in the Racing Corolla to collect my parts at Holden, all sorted, came back swapped cars with much trepidation about the return 120 Km's to my place as I have to climb a mini mountain to get here..

Made it home :)

This is a weird one... 60>80 Kph in 3/4 and it sounds like a wood chipper above 80 it's silent... WTF..

ScarabEpic22
April 29th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Ian, do you want the converter to lock under WOT? With it being a multi disk converter, usually you can if you want to. I havent set this tune up to do that in 4th, it will in 3rd.

I made a few more changes in line pressure now that I know your trans is fully built, basically to make Pattn B more of a Race-Mode.

Take a look at this updated spreadsheet, it explains why I made the changes I did to the part throttle and TCC tables, they are necessary so the gears/TC wont bind.

IJ.
April 29th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Yep Locked @ WOT should be cool after about 3200 rpm Erik, Stall is 2700 and should be done multiplying once it gets to 3200 :)

Thanks for doing this, I'll have a look tomorrow my brain is fried tonight been a long ass day..

joecar
April 30th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Racing Corolla = :cheers: :cheers:

Wood chipper noise: is it from the TCC shuddering...?

ScarabEpic22
April 30th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Ok, also 4th gear is set pretty high (3->4 Patt B shifts at 140MPH, not KPH). I noticed this last night but forgot to mention it. Ill work on the WOT lockup later tonight.

IJ.
April 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Racing Corolla = :cheers: :cheers:

Wood chipper noise: is it from the TCC shuddering...?
(It's the GF's Auto 2005 Corolla it's a weapon ;) )

Won't really sure till the Autopsy Joe, disabling the TC Lockup didn't seem to have much effect on the noise and it's very weird that it stops after 80Kph....

Ok, also 4th gear is set pretty high (3->4 Patt B shifts at 140MPH, not KPH). I noticed this last night but forgot to mention it. Ill work on the WOT lockup later tonight.

Was that the WOT shift 3>4 Erik?

Car has fairly tall tires on it 255/40/19's and 3.46:1 Diffs so that would probably be close. :)

ScarabEpic22
April 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Yes it was for the 3->4, seems a little high to me but if it works for your application that's what matters. My TBSS has 30.5" tires and 4.10s, I havent had to shift into 4th at WOT yet (wont happen until I get a built trans anyway).

IJ.
April 30th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I need to sit down with a calculator and work out all the gears @ 6600, thing hasn't stayed together long enough for it to be an issue yet ;)

Engine is back in just have to hook everything up now.

IJ.
May 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
Up and running again, Had to use one of my earlier files to get the TC Lockup working again but have incorporated all of your pressure mods, I'll do the shift tables when I get a chance. :)