PDA

View Full Version : Standalone tune for a first timer

BioHazard73
April 20th, 2013, 04:14 AM
I don't want to clutter this forum with the same ole' types of questions but I have been digging around this forum and I guess my search techniques are lacking or terminology.

I have an 05 5.3 Drive by Wire that I am putting in a rock crawler, I followed the directions from lt1swap.com to modify my harness for non emission, no rear 02's, I removed all the transmission wires with the exception of the VSS. i will be running a manual transmission. I was able to power up the system and download the stock file from the PCM, I started digging around a bit hoping to find simple switches to disable the systems I removed but that was not the case...

Can someone point me in the right direction to get the information I need to build this standalone tune.

Thanks

Mark

Mikz86ta
April 20th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Im not the one to help you really....but first what you can do to help those who r gonna try to help you out is to post up the tune ur using. That way they can look it over and see what you have to work with :)

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Mark,

Post up your stock tune. I'll pull it and mod it for you. We are big into rocks, we actually have a 4500 hammers rig we race. I can atleast help you get going and show you what to look for. Let me know anyway I can help you out. Bare minimum I can help you get the rig running.

BioHazard73
April 20th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Skinny, thank you, here is the file. I really just don't know where to get started!

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM
So here is a basic quick get it running stand alone with the automatic trans segment, I did not touch any of the stock paramiters as far as helping it run better. You can, if you want, use a manual trans setup and regain the clutch pedal position.

This was done pretty quick, if I missed something sorry. I'll look at it better when I am sitting at my desktop tomorrow.

Also, what size tires and gear ratio are you gonna run? Where is your speed sensor going to be and how many pulses per rev are you going to have?

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM
If you want to see the differences you can compair the files and click on show summary of differences. Hopefully his will give you an idea of what you are looking to keep and what you are wanting to eliminate.

BioHazard73
April 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I am going to run the dakota digital 8k ppm sensor. I am running 4.56 gears and 42" tires, my low range will be 4.3:1 but I don't know of any way to let the PCM know when its in low. I kinda see what you are doing with the parameters you changed to disable all the torque reductilon. What else would need to be done to get me going? I can play with performance enhancing at a later date. Thanks

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM
So you are going to run an atlas? Are you going to put the speed sender in the tail housing? If so don't worry about the low range switch.

Ill mod the tune some more with the tire size and gears you gave but I need to know what speed sender you plan on running and where it is. If you are running the AA atlas with the gm sender it will be 40 tooth.

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I did a lot more than just the torque reduction.

BioHazard73
April 20th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Ah ha! I just saw where you turned off the MIL parameters for the Rear O2's and a bunch of others in C6001 and C6002, those all make sense to me. I can see how this is a learning curve, I played with the Accel Gen7 DFI years ago on a crazy custom 454 small block chevy I built so a good bit of this is familiar, just gotta get my head wrapped back around it!

I am just gonna throw this out there I may need to start a new thread to get the advice I need cause this one is weird.... I would like to have a high idle circuit to assist me when crawling to give me about 1100 rpm I saw where there is a PTO parameter, I guess somehow I could make that work, gonna dig around a bit more!

BioHazard73
April 20th, 2013, 01:21 PM
So you are going to run an atlas? Are you going to put the speed sender in the tail housing? If so don't worry about the low range switch.

Ill mod the tune some more with the tire size and gears you gave but I need to know what speed sender you plan on running and where it is. If you are running the AA atlas with the gm sender it will be 40 tooth.

Yes I am running an Atlas, but this unit was used so it has a gear drive that is why I have to run the dakota digital signal generator on the tailhousing of the Atlas.

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Ah ha! I just saw where you turned off the MIL parameters for the Rear O2's and a bunch of others in C6001 and C6002, those all make sense to me. I can see how this is a learning curve, I played with the Accel Gen7 DFI years ago on a crazy custom 454 small block chevy I built so a good bit of this is familiar, just gotta get my head wrapped back around it!

I am just gonna throw this out there I may need to start a new thread to get the advice I need cause this one is weird.... I would like to have a high idle circuit to assist me when crawling to give me about 1100 rpm I saw where there is a PTO parameter, I guess somehow I could make that work, gonna dig around a bit more!

Just us the AC wire for high idle. Set your idle higher when the PCM sees ac request.

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Here is correct speedo for your setup and high AC signal idle.

Where your speed sender is you don't need the low range switch. The speedo is seeing the final drive shaft rotations the same in low and high range. Also take a look at the way I tuned the speedo and see if you can figure out why I did it that way.

BioHazard73
April 20th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Everything makes sense based on tire size and gear ratio I can see where you got the driveshaft revs per mile the change in Pulse per Mile, the change of the diff ratio to 1.67 has me puzzled.

Do you happen to know if the pin for AC request get a ground or 12v+

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 02:29 PM
For what you are doing we are not worried about torque calculation. If you use the speedo calculator this is the ratio it takes to get the 8000 pulse. I like to leave these numbers as they come out of the calculator just in case the PCM uses any or all for other calculations. That way they all calculate to the same thing not matter which way they are being looked at. I could be wrong but doing it this way I have never had an issue.

Off the top of m head I dont know about the AC request. I'm sure LT1swap would have it listed.

BioHazard73
April 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Last thing and I will leave you be :-) do I need to do anything else to the file to disable the transmission controls? I am going to get this flashed and do a quick and dirty wiring job to my chassis to see if this will fire up before I close all the looms up. Thank you so much for your help, I have learned a ton in a short time!

SkinnyPedal
April 20th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Ill check but I'm pretty sure I got it all.

hog
April 21st, 2013, 02:27 AM
May be of interest.
http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull64.pdf

Here is a PTO and Fast Idle document for teh HD trucks. You use the cruise control stalk to adjust idle rpms.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull53.pdf

peace
Hog