PDA

View Full Version : New to EFI!

Bdbashore
April 23rd, 2013, 10:09 AM
Hi, I have an 07 classic GMC Sierra 5.3

I want to get my truck tuned but not sure where to start first..... my buddy has a v2 scanner which should work.

What kind of mods should I do to the truck before I tune it? Can you have multiple maps for offroading and mpg's for highway use??

Any general Info would be greatly appreciated!! :wallbash:

ScarabEpic22
April 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Welcome, no with gas vehicles you dont get multiple tunes for switching on the fly. The closest you can get is to use a COS that allows use of another IFR and spark tables for use with race gas or E85.

Besides, when a gas engine is tuned correctly, you get the best mileage and power all the time. Not like diesels where to make more power you just throw more fuel at them (figuratively speaking).

Bdbashore
April 23rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
Awesome, Thanks alot!

So the best route to go would be to install some wideband O2 sensors, buy a vin license, and then purchase a reliable gas v8 map to download on the computer?

ScarabEpic22
April 23rd, 2013, 06:09 PM
If all you want to do is buy a map/tune, call up a vendor who's tuned your truck before and buy a tune from them. If you want to actually learn and tune your vehicle yourself, you need a VIN license and a wideband (no need for 2 unless you're super anal, any minor bank to bank differences can be seen in the STFTs) plus a lot of time.

Bdbashore
April 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM
What kind of gains could I see out of a correct tune?

ScarabEpic22
April 24th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Depends, absolutely bone stock with 87 octane maybe 10-15rwhp? But part throttle TQ and shift points make a much bigger difference than peak power on a stock truck.