PDA

View Full Version : Question about pilot injection.

Operator62
April 27th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I've done some searching, and I haven't seen any other posts on this. I started another thread, but I didn't really know what was causing it. Now, I believe it has something to do with pilot injection being reduced as it has gotten warmer outside. Like I said in my other post it seems that around 40 degrees and warmer pilot is being cut out some. Therefore causing my rattle, and a decrease of power. I am having trouble finding where and what I need to adjust to correct this. Is this something found in the air density adjustment tables, or axis breakpoints? I'm almost to the point of just shutting off pilot altogether and going from there, but I'd rather not do that.

Wheelz
April 27th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Pilot injection isn't going to effect power enough for you to notice a difference. If you can legitimately feel a decrease in power I would bet money it's not simply pilot injection.

Post up the tune and a log and hopefully we can spot something

LB72004
April 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Sounds to me that the timing is too far advanced. Colder air and engine will slow the burn. Higher temps will cause the fuel to burn sooner. There are tables to adjust for this but may not be set up properly.

Operator62
May 1st, 2013, 12:33 AM
This isn't my first time datalogging, but the first time with my new laptop. For some reason I can't find main and pilot timing to log them separately. I only get the "general" injection timing. Which seems to be main, but I can't say for sure, but I need to see pilot as well. I really doubt it is too advanced. It has less timing than stock in the rpm range I experience this. I will get the tune posted sometime today. Right now I'm posting from my phone.

Operator62
May 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
Okay, here is my crappy tune. Go easy on me please. I have very little experience, and no chances to get to any tuning classes. Just doing the best I can.

anarchydiesel
May 1st, 2013, 11:49 AM
The tune looks pretty good other than the main timing maps. Use the calculator to set the main timing to pretty much a 50/50 split and see if that helps your rattle.

Operator62
May 2nd, 2013, 04:11 AM
What do you mean by 50/50 split?

KhakiCummins
May 2nd, 2013, 05:38 AM
What he's talking about is using the timing calculator in the Main Timing table and setting it so that only 50% of the injection happens BTDC and the other 50% happens ATDC. This is done by entering "50" in the cells desired in the calculator. When you select APPLY it will adjust your Main timing table.

Operator62
May 2nd, 2013, 11:24 AM
I've used the calculator for my timing in the upper range, but not in the areas that I'm experiencing the rattle. Could the timing be too retarded with the warmer temps cause the rattle? Cuz like I said I have less timing in those areas than I do stock. Also, while I'm here I'm sure you can notice that my tune says incomplete, do not flash. Well, for some reason this is the only file I can use without a map sensor code popping up and the turbo vanes closing up unneccesarily. Anyone got a clue on that? Maybe part of this has something to do with my rattle issue?

KhakiCummins
May 2nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
What range are you getting the rattle at?

anarchydiesel
May 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
You have too much advance as much as 100% before TDC in the cruising/passing range. I would bet that is where your rattle is coming from.

Operator62
May 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
This is where I am seeing the rattle from.

Operator62
May 2nd, 2013, 02:01 PM
I assume this is more of what I should be shooting for?

2007 5.9
May 2nd, 2013, 02:05 PM
What is your logged pilot pulse doing during this rattle?

Quinton
May 4th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Your first pick looks like to less of timing.

Operator62
July 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Sorry, I haven't been able to get anymore testing done with this in a while. I haven't been able to log or anything. For one reason I haven't been able to log is for some reason I can't get my PID selections to basically function like I want them to. Can someone send me a PID selection file that I can use to log my timing and pulse, or just whichever PID selection you guys already have saved and that you use? I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I am just so limited on time with this stuff anymore. Also, I am currently in Mountain City, TN visiting my wife's family, and I will be headed back home on Friday through Knoxville. Would it be cool for me to stop by y'all's shop (Anarchy's) on my way?

Operator62
July 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I got a datalog today. I'm not sure if it will show what you guys need to see or not, but it does show the pilot pulse during the rattle. Which the rattle is occurring in the datalog from around 1400rpms to 2000rpms or so, when I would shift. If someone can give me an email to send it to? I'll like to know what you guys think.

2007 5.9
July 13th, 2013, 12:13 PM
silverbullettuning@gmail.com