PDA

View Full Version : something is SERIOUSLY wrong...i have a log file if anyone can help??

C Murda
May 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM
ok so all of a sudden my turbo has been spooling up when at idle and when ever im not on the accelerator. it does this ONLY when the truck is in drive! ive noticed a major change in the way the truck souds too it has gotten a lot louder and when i step on it it is in and out of power? then i started pouring out white smoke that smells awfully toxic like burns my lungs and it smokes non stop!!! i pull over to shut the truck off and when i start it back up no smoke and the process repeats itself. i have been running the same tune and no CEL has come on. i dont know what is going on i feel like if i drive the truck i am ruining something more and more. if anyone can help pm me your email and ill send a quick log file i took driving around my block. when i did this it hadnt begun smoking really bad yet just the turbo spooling up at idle and when coasting and the louder exhaust.

KhakiCummins
May 6th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Sounds like your truck is in a regen cycle.....

C Murda
May 6th, 2013, 11:03 AM
its deleted and this "regen cycle" wont go away and it does it at all rpms city driving or highway as long as the truck is in drive its doing it on and off... but the horrible smelling white smoke just started today and only after im driving a bit. the turbo spool up basically happens when in drive EVERY time im off the accelerator. i also didnt get any overhead messages about dpf full or if it was going into regen? not saying its not a possibility just that i dont know?? if this is just a regen cycle then it seems to be going on non stop!!??

KhakiCummins
May 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM
The white smoke is typically an indicator of one of two things on a 6.7L, a bad injector(s) or a "deleted" truck that has entered into a regen cycle.

Do you have all of your stuff deleted or have you been doing some of your experimenting that you keep posting about trying to pass emissions while still deleted? If so, you may think you have your truck is deleted but the computer thinks that things are still there. Once the truck enters a regen cycle, it will not exit out of it until it has completed. That would be why it won't go away not that it's started.

2007 5.9
May 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Tune needs to be adjusted to disable the DPF FULLY and kill the post event.

C Murda
May 6th, 2013, 12:02 PM
The white smoke is typically an indicator of one of two things on a 6.7L, a bad injector(s) or a "deleted" truck that has entered into a regen cycle.

Do you have all of your stuff deleted or have you been doing some of your experimenting that you keep posting about trying to pass emissions while still deleted? If so, you may think you have your truck is deleted but the computer thinks that things are still there. Once the truck enters a regen cycle, it will not exit out of it until it has completed. That would be why it won't go away not that it's started.
ya i have been running this current tune for about 186 miles it is not a delete tune just more of a "code free" tune to see if i can get monitors to all set to ready. so if this IS just the regen cycle will it go away on its own even though i dont have any of the actual equipment on there? like will it somehow sense a clean dpf even though there isnt one installed?

also is it normal for the exhaust sound to get a lot louder during regen and for the truck to not feel like it has consistent smooth power under acceleration?

Wheelz
May 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM
It will only go away by putting the original equip back on and letting it go thru the entire cycle or disabling it in the tune. That's your options.

And yes it's normal for them to feel weird during a Regen. That's part of why we hate it too

C Murda
May 7th, 2013, 03:53 AM
ok so i readjusted my tune to completely disable the DPF system and flashed it in problem solved! i guess this was my first experience with a regen although it really seemed as if the truck was going to have a meltdown or shit the bed it just didnt seem like what i would think a normal regen would be like...ive NEVER seen any other newer diesels driving around where they just dumping TONS of white smelly smoke....

so now that im at least operable, can anyone with knowledge of the regen cycles fill me in on what is involved and needed (sensor information wise) in order to activate and deactivate/complete a regen cycle? if a certain sensor needs to see a certain reading maybe i can make a switch activated resistor to send the appropriate signal? or does the ECM want to see a constantly changing/fluctuating signal to show that the DPF is clean?

KhakiCummins
May 7th, 2013, 04:23 AM
ok so i readjusted my tune to completely disable the DPF system and flashed it in problem solved! i guess this was my first experience with a regen although it really seemed as if the truck was going to have a meltdown or shit the bed it just didnt seem like what i would think a normal regen would be like...ive NEVER seen any other newer diesels driving around where they just dumping TONS of white smelly smoke....

so now that im at least operable, can anyone with knowledge of the regen cycles fill me in on what is involved and needed (sensor information wise) in order to activate and deactivate/complete a regen cycle? if a certain sensor needs to see a certain reading maybe i can make a switch activated resistor to send the appropriate signal? or does the ECM want to see a constantly changing/fluctuating signal to show that the DPF is clean?

You don't see other newer diesels running around dumping white smoke because people are either not deleting their trucks or they are deleting the DPF completely.

Wheelz
May 9th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Why do you want to do that? You just properly disabled the dpf with EFI in the tune. Any other method that uses sensors or switches or simulators is a back door method people use to do the same thing when they don't want to spend the money for a proper tune.

If its properly disabled in the tune... Just drive it and enjoy it.

C Murda
May 9th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Why do you want to do that? You just properly disabled the dpf with EFI in the tune. Any other method that uses sensors or switches or simulators is a back door method people use to do the same thing when they don't want to spend the money for a proper tune.

If its properly disabled in the tune... Just drive it and enjoy it.

because if i "properly tune it" then the truck will not complete all of its emissions monitors tests (or so im assuming from guess and test as no one really seems to know) by using foolers i can allow the emissions crap to stay running and not tuned out but just temporarily fool some sensors into thinking everything is fine. im trying to find a way around emissions testing. if only a certified Cummins Tech could be on here and tell me exactly what sensors need to be run and what they need to see inn order for the ecm to complete its SRT for emissions compliance!!! if i an find out this information then i may be able to figure something out. so whos a Cummins tech out there???

Wheelz
May 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM
It was my understanding from reading about this on cumminsforum that the emissions testing isn't that smart. It looks for codes in the ECM. If it finds none your good to go. Unless they care to look underneath or hook the tail pipe up to the machine...

Now I could be wrong there, but that's what I've read elsewhere in the past. If you want more opinions go check out the 6.7 section of www.cumminsforum.com/forum

There are typically a couple delete friendly cummins techs on there who can set you straight

KhakiCummins
May 10th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Emissions testing looks for more than codes. Their computer check to see that the components of the emissions system are at a "ready" state and if they are not, it will fail. I've heard that some will let you get away with a couple not ready but I don't know if that is only specific components or if that is just a certain number in general.

C Murda
May 11th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Emissions testing looks for more than codes. Their computer check to see that the components of the emissions system are at a "ready" state and if they are not, it will fail. I've heard that some will let you get away with a couple not ready but I don't know if that is only specific components or if that is just a certain number in general.

yea they look for what ever emissions monitors your vehicle is equipped with to be ready. from what ive been told you can still pass with 1 of them not ready....i need to get my catalyst monitor OR EGR to set to ready and ill be good. so if anyone knows what the ECM needs to see in order for these to complete their SRT please share! or even any ideas and ill can possibly try them out.

i have noticed some things are OS or calibration specific as when i use an 807 OS with 0435 calibration my o2 sensor monitor will set to ready but if i use a 1035 OS 0435 cal file my o2 sensor will never set to ready...