PDA

View Full Version : Generic ECM / TCM Conections

swingtan
May 10th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hi All,
Has any one used scan tool to connect to a "Generic" controller? I see that there is an option to connect to VPW / CAN bus controllers, both ECM and TCM, but was wondering what can be done with this option.

I'm hoping there is a way to log non GM controllers, maybe if they use STD. SAE PID's or even possibly a configuration for custom PIDs. The V2 is a powerful device and having the ability to log other controllers, even without the corresponding tuning calibrations, would be very good.

Simon.

swingtan
May 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Bump.....

I know things have been a bit busy ;)

joecar
May 15th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hi Simon, where do you see this...?

kangsta
May 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I havent tried the "Generic" controllers but if you want to scan a CAN ecm then just select any CAN ecm e.g. E38 and add in the SAE PIDs. It usually a pretty slow data rate though if you add too many.

swingtan
May 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Ahh, OK, so maybe just any CAN controller will work for me.

Joe, this is in V7 Scan tool.

Click the "green" button to connect to a controller.
In the "Select Controller" drop down box, go all the way to the bottom and there are 5 "generic" listings. ( 3xVPW and 2xCAN )

To add some info for others, I've been playing with a Triumph motor bike using a free tuning tool. the software works OK for modifying the basics, but has limited (almost nothing ) logging capability and requires the laptop to be connected. It's a little harder to log real street conditions while trying to hold a laptop, so using BBL and the V2 would be perfect.

I'll have to try the tips above and see if I can get any data from it. RPM, TPS and MAP would be about what I want.

Simon

joecar
May 15th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Joe, this is in V7 Scan tool.

Click the "green" button to connect to a controller.
In the "Select Controller" drop down box, go all the way to the bottom and there are 5 "generic" listings. ( 3xVPW and 2xCAN )

...Ah... I hadn't noticed that... I'll try it out.