PDA

View Full Version : LS1B swap into Chevy 3100?

Wheelz
May 17th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I'm pondering starting a project truck, and was wondering how many extra components beyond the PCM really is required to make one of these run? I know there are many problems if you flash the wrong vin in, but will I have any problems if I take a 6.0, 4L80 and PCM and drop it into an old truck?

tokymon
May 17th, 2013, 07:22 AM
no you just need the stand alone harness or modify youre own and turn off codes for what you dont use

Wheelz
May 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Thanks

ScarabEpic22
May 17th, 2013, 08:10 AM
You can put whatever VIN you want into it, EFILive doesnt care what the VIN is.

Wheelz
May 17th, 2013, 08:24 AM
So the problem is just when it's a vin mismatch with the other modules?

I knew EFI didn't care, I just assumed the ECM did unless it was a dealer flash

ScarabEpic22
May 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
So the problem is just when it's a vin mismatch with the other modules?

I knew EFI didn't care, I just assumed the ECM did unless it was a dealer flash

Yes, if the VIN in the PCM/ECM (TCMs are pretty forgiving, at least the T42s) doesnt match the BCM/ABS/etc, then you run into issues. In a swap truck, it's not an issue. Heck, you could put the original VIN from the 3100 into it if you wanted! :D

The dealer would just see this and then enter the desired VIN into Tis2Web before flashing the module.

Wheelz
May 17th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Ok. Thanks. I'm going to look at one tomorrow so well see.

jbettcher
May 19th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Depending on the year don't forget about the Throttle Actuator Control Module (TAC) and the Accelerator Pedal w/ sensor. If it's 02 or earlier good chance it was Cable Driven throttle body and you don't have to worry.

Wheelz
May 19th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Depending on the year don't forget about the Throttle Actuator Control Module (TAC) and the Accelerator Pedal w/ sensor. If it's 02 or earlier good chance it was Cable Driven throttle body and you don't have to worry.

Yeah thanks for that reminder. The pedal and sensor is what I would forget

jbettcher
May 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah thanks for that reminder. The pedal and sensor is what I would forget

When I first started my LQ4 swap I only had PCM, throttle body and harness. The guy who stripped the truck forgot about the pedal and the module in between pedal and PCM. Cost me more than the LS6 intake for those 2 pieces, was a little upsetting.

Wheelz
May 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM
When I first started my LQ4 swap I only had PCM, throttle body and harness. The guy who stripped the truck forgot about the pedal and the module in between pedal and PCM. Cost me more than the LS6 intake for those 2 pieces, was a little upsetting.

Dang. I've located a truck 6.0 in a junkyard and hopefully this week I can go see how much electronics their selling with it

jbettcher
May 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Dang. I've located a truck 6.0 in a junkyard and hopefully this week I can go see how much electronics their selling with it

You should also look up the 3 wire install videos on youtube , they show a cable driven LQ4 but its essentially the same just you have an extra module to wire ignition voltage to. Simplified everything for me. Still some signal and trigger wires to source out but half the battle is getting the harness in and powered.

Wheelz
May 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM
You should also look up the 3 wire install videos on youtube , they show a cable driven LQ4 but its essentially the same just you have an extra module to wire ignition voltage to. Simplified everything for me. Still some signal and trigger wires to source out but half the battle is getting the harness in and powered.

Thanks. Will do

Wheelz
May 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hey, if you guys were doing this, would you start with a truck 6.0, or a car 6.0? As far as i understand the main difference is the intake manifold and accessory drives to clear that manifold. I'm not looking to make a street rod, but I do plan on making a cam swap to around 220*. My goal is lifted and 37s... Kinda a go anywhere rig