PDA

View Full Version : not a good reflash think its bricked

hangenouthere
May 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM
hey all so got the v2 scanner and had dsp5 tunes done by rob i know they will be awesume cant wait to data log & play so went to do a full flash on my ecm and thats went it all went south it started the procedure and erased the ecm and started the write all of the sudden stopped with an error code ( script exited with code $0385 general programming failure $85 ) would not finish humm so had to shut it down atempted again same thing so today after reading searching and still cant find code definitions i started to rule out all possibles pulled ecm fuses to reset ecm pulled radio fuse info fuse abs fuse just to take it out of the picture unhooked trailer brake controller from factory plug & play unhooked remote start system disconnected batteries several times in between attempts of reflashing about four times every time it comes back to the same code error and stops uninstalled software on laptop reinstalled same thing using win7 installed software on other laptop running win xp same damn thing running most current software and all other software up to date including bootloader & firmware etc. tryed to communicate with my verus scanner will not and of coarse no start will be getting a replacement ecm to attemp a reload just wondering if anyone has had this happen

GMPX
May 20th, 2013, 04:25 PM
If I recall this problem can happen if you try to program when the Ignition switch is not on all the way.

hangenouthere
May 20th, 2013, 04:35 PM
im sure it was on all the way security light on dash reset the usual just a wierd thing i guess just read about trying a cal flash with the stock files which i did not try only tried full flashes so going to try that and will report back hope i can save this module good thing its my own and not a customers of mine lol anychance on recovering it back?

GMPX
May 20th, 2013, 05:01 PM
No need to replace the ECM yet as you can still communicate with it.
Do you have a stock tune you could try to get in there?

hangenouthere
May 20th, 2013, 05:20 PM
just the read file that i originally saved to send to rob which is the the stock tune im assuming so i just tried hooking up the batteries and fired up the laptop and tried a cal flash with the stock file same thing this is what is says ( scripted loaded scripted verified unlocking: trying mgf key checking data file erasing:wait please: wait then script exited with code $0385 : general programming failure ($85) and it stops

GMPX
May 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Try programming it in both V7.5 and also V8.

hangenouthere
May 20th, 2013, 05:34 PM
how do i go about flashing in 7.5 will do some reading on it thanks for the insite i hope i can recover this module

c.u
May 20th, 2013, 05:48 PM
You need to do a full flash with the stock tune. A cal only will not over write a full flash.

hangenouthere
May 20th, 2013, 06:23 PM
ya tried the stock tune also first after the failed dsp5 tune using v8 before a cal flash but did not try ver 7.5 flash like gmpx said just v8 only will try 7.5 full flash in the morning see if it takes thanks for the input c.u

hangenouthere
May 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM
well tried full flash 7.5 same issue will not take it I have an aftermarket stereo module that provides functions like key In ign bing stereo off with door opening etc. pretty standard with aftermarket decks already pulled radio fuse but im going to remove this as well and try again its got to be chatter on the can line or something weird.

GMPX
May 21st, 2013, 03:58 PM
Generally chatter on the CAN bus is tolerable, if something is not allowing full power to the ECM for programming then you will be in trouble.

hangenouthere
May 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM
great to know just wanted to rule out any possible things so tried ver 7.5 again full flash same thing happened so just let it run attempted erase procedure then all of a sudden it started programming got about 16k of the file loaded then boom module retured to normal state and it would not go any further just kept attempting and I finally stopped it I have another ecm coming tomorrow keeping my fingers crossed thanks GMPX

c.u
May 22nd, 2013, 01:35 AM
Have you tryed to reread the ecm out? If you can save as new then try to rewrite.

hangenouthere
May 22nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
no last night after the last attempt I think its done now can not communicate with it seems to me I had flash problems with this one before used to have an edge race module where you had to program level changes and there was times when it did not take and had to call edge support and we would reload the stock tune back on then I would be able to do a level change I have a different ecm here today its a used one so vin etc. will be different but im going to pull a read off it and I think I will use 7.5 to do a test only full flash before attempting to full flash my dsp file on it just to rule out a communication issue for flashing on the truck in case its still a truck issue if I gets weird I think I will pull it and bench flash instead.

GMPX
May 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
If you can bench flash then absolutely try that before getting another ECM, I think it's something going on with power interruptions on the truck.

hangenouthere
May 23rd, 2013, 02:59 AM
thanks for the info GMPX ya i will be building a bench harness tried another ecm everything went well, did not know that the series of ecm does not support a test flash so i just said hell with it and proceded after it did a good read with no problems and it took the flash perfectly copied my inj balance rates from my gpcm and all is good the only thing different i did dont know if it made a differance was to not have my laptop ac power plugged in read somewhere was not a good idea or it just was a wierd ecm or chain of events i am going to fool around with the old ecm and a bench harness just to see if i can bring it back. thanks for all the advice GMPX & CU

cumminsDK
May 23rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Battery charger on truck??? It'll mess with ya for sure if batteries are weak had on that after flashing would start then slowly idle down and stall no restart. Also was setting a code for maf. Put charger on for awhile then flashed and ran fine. Only failed to crank once that was when it hit me the batteries were weak so I got the charger out!

hangenouthere
May 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
ya know what you mean no always make sure the batteries are charged & don't keep the charger going when doing a reflash voltage changes & influxxes can screw around with things during a reflash no i removed the ac adapter charger from my laptop before i started the flash process read some where not a good thing to have hooked up when doing it don't know if that made a differance or not but it workrd