PDA

View Full Version : My Tune Runs Hot

ippielb
June 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
Want to get more into tuning now that it's summer, i have been using a MPG tune all winter from a buddy. I have made a couple tunes myself, but they seem to run a little warm on the EGT's when you put it under load.

My truck is a 2006 LLY Duramax, has the following done to it, FASS 150gph lift pump, PPE race valve, PPE Bored rail fitting, SnowPerformance Methanol Injection, AFE cold air intake, 4" Exhaust, 3" AFE Downpipe, NADP Race tranny, NAPC Built Transfercase, EGR Blocker Plate.

Here's my tune, anyone see anything that would make it run hot when under load? It gets up to 1000* pretty easily, i'd like to keep it under 900 if possible when daily driving. I have changed from the stock LLY Tune, and started off with the LBZ tune.

Wheelz
June 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM
Have you adjusted the tranny tune at all? The stock shift points are horrifically set to short shift. You can let it hold each gear longer, which will make it more enjoyable to drive and the higher rpms should keep the EGTs down a little.

Gelf VXR
June 3rd, 2013, 05:02 PM
If got an interest in EGT's, from what I've researched,

For fueling, peak combustion temps and EGT occurs at stoich, leaning or going richer with the AFR lowers temps, but leaner runs higher risk of detonation.

For ignition timing, EGT is lowest at MBT, highest efficiency for energy converted to work, less heat lost down the exhaust. However a sudden drop in EGT when advancing ignition is likely result of detonation, and could occur before MBT

Wheelz
June 3rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
If got an interest in EGT's, from what I've researched,

For fueling, peak combustion temps and EGT occurs at stoich, leaning or going richer with the AFR lowers temps, but leaner runs higher risk of detonation.

For ignition timing, EGT is lowest at MBT, highest efficiency for energy converted to work, less heat lost down the exhaust. However a sudden drop in EGT when advancing ignition is likely result of detonation, and could occur before MBT

We are talking diesel here bud. Less fuel will always mean cooler temps.

And advancing the timing a little further will help reduce temps, but it creates higher cylinder pressures and can pop head gaskets if your not careful, plus the higher pressures heat the head up a lot

Gelf VXR
June 4th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Oh yes, doh☺

killerbee
June 9th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Here's my tune, anyone see anything that would make it run hot when under load? It gets up to 1000* pretty easily

1000 is not a concern, but add some boost if you want to see big reductions.