PDA

View Full Version : Licensing without laptop?

machinist09
June 12th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I just got my Flashscan V2 in on Monday, and I've read my OEM tune and saved a copy on CD-ROM. The first baby step i am going to make is a simple speedo re-calibration and slowly ease in from there. I don't want to just plug in a start doing things. Can I license without a laptop? All the tutorials seem to show pass-through operations. I bought EFI Live for the standalone capability and the custom OS capability. I assume the V2 can license? Just load my tune on and go out to the truck?

Blacky
June 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Yes, you can license directly from the V2 in standalone mode.

Regards
Paul

machinist09
June 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Alright. Being in this transition between 7 and 8 seems like it may complicate things for a beginner. If I understand correctly, V7 couldn't standalone flash? But, the users manuals for V8 aren't yet complete. Anyway, I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

ScarabEpic22
June 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Alright. Being in this transition between 7 and 8 seems like it may complicate things for a beginner. If I understand correctly, V7 couldn't standalone flash? But, the users manuals for V8 aren't yet complete. Anyway, I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

Neither V7 or V8 can standalone flash, they're the Windows Desktop applications (and require a FS V1/V2 or AutoCal to flash). Your FlashScan V2 and AutoCal can standalone flash, datalog, clear DTCs, etc. FlashScan V1s can only standalone datalog.

machinist09
June 17th, 2013, 12:07 AM
I guess what I meant was the firmware that went hand-in-hand with V7 vs that if V8. Or could the Flashscan V2 always standalone flash, even before 8?

ScarabEpic22
June 17th, 2013, 04:01 AM
I guess what I meant was the firmware that went hand-in-hand with V7 vs that if V8. Or could the Flashscan V2 always standalone flash, even before 8?

V1's firmware has been locked (it is not end-user updateable) for many years. V2's firmware follows the V8 releases, i.e. for every V8 build there is another firmware build. V2 and V8 go hand in hand, they share a lot of common code and (I believe) this is why for every V8 build there must be another V2 firmware build.

The short answer is NO, the V2 could not standalone flash before V8 as they share bootloaders, scripts, etc. The V2 came out only about a year before V8 was first released.

joecar
June 17th, 2013, 04:32 AM
V8 is used to configure V2 BBL/BBF.

machinist09
June 17th, 2013, 04:40 AM
That's what I was trying to get at. Not that knowing the progression of the software/firmware helps me much, but it's nice to know.