PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to this, why doesn't VIN save?

machinist09
June 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Just got the V2 on Monday, and I've read my OEM calibration. All i'm doing right now is recalibrating the speedo. Why does the VIN not stay with the tune when I open it up in V7.5 Tune tool? Does it matter? Will it pick up the VIN as soon as it's flashed from the PCM? Just seems weird that when I view in V8 Scan and Tune is displays the VIN, but not when it's opened in v7.5.

Blacky
June 12th, 2013, 03:49 PM
The VIN that is displayed when you load a file is the VIN of the vehicle from which the file was read.

If you want to change the VIN stored in the file, use the V8 software option: [F3: Tune] -> [F4: Properties] -> Click on [...] button to the left of the VIN.
The VIN in the file has no purpose other than information for you. Flashing the file into a different controller will not change that controller's VIN to match the VIN in the file.

If you want to permanently change the VIN in the PCM/ECM/TCM, then use one of the V7 VIN change options:

1. In the V7 Tune Tool menu: Flash->PCM Security -> [VIN/BCC] tab page.
2. In the V7 Scan Tool menu: Bidirectional -> Change VIN.

Regards
Paul

machinist09
June 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Sounds good. Thanks! Like I said, total new to this, so I'm gonna be working quite cautiously until I get used to things. I don't wanna screw something up that is gonna cost me either money, or a lot of time, or both.

joecar
June 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Also: read the scantool/tunetool user manual pdf's.

machinist09
June 16th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I've been working my way through the various PDF's. It's a lot to take in, and some seem less relevant at this time due to the transition to V8, but I'll get there.

joecar
June 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Make sure you know how to use both V7 and V8... because V7 won't just disappear.

machinist09
June 16th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Certainly not counting on it. I know the transition has been underway for a while. I downloaded the software back in October to mess around a bit and see how i liked the interface. There's an awful lot to read, but like I said, I'll get there.