PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel

comnrailpwr
June 19th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Probably way to early to speculate but I saw GM is putting a turbo Diesel engine in the 2014 Chevy Cruze. Just wondering if anyone knows what ECM the vehicle runs and what the likelihood of support from efi will be in the future? I'm am very excited that GM took this leap to bring small diesel engine passenger cars to USA. With its projected success I think we will see more from GM. A 2.5L turbo diesel Malibu and Colorado would be great.

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 19th, 2013, 03:49 AM
If its supported the real hurdle will be the stupid emissions......without a way to make it run when the "christmas tree" of codes appears it probably isn't a worthwhile endeavor here in the states, guys over seas that are out of the USA would benefit from the tuning.

Thanks to the EPA and the Obama regime the USA is screwed.

comnrailpwr
June 19th, 2013, 04:35 AM
I haven't tuned trucks as new with urea injection but have tuned trucks for customers that have wanted to keep dpf and egr working as they should. I don't think the emission crap restricts the tunability at all on towing and light built trucks. Yes its better without it and easier. The emission stuff is a headache but those vehicles don't drive around with any lights on. Then again with something that new might be a totally different story.

EagleMark
June 19th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Thanks to the Obama regime the USA is screwed. Fixed it for ya! :anitoof:

GMPX
June 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Can't do a full calibration read I'm afraid, Bosch messing with us again.
Tony, FYI the USA Cruze Diesel is the only version using the EDC17, all others use a Delphi ECM (no urea), lucky you!!

ScarabEpic22
June 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Probably way to early to speculate but I saw GM is putting a turbo Diesel engine in the 2014 Chevy Cruze. Just wondering if anyone knows what ECM the vehicle runs and what the likelihood of support from efi will be in the future? I'm am very excited that GM took this leap to bring small diesel engine passenger cars to USA. With its projected success I think we will see more from GM. A 2.5L turbo diesel Malibu and Colorado would be great.

Colorado already has a 2.5L and 2.8L Duramax option, everywhere but the USA (we wont even get the same Colorado as the rest of the world, if we get one at all.) Tell me how that makes sense.

Tony, FYI the USA Cruze Diesel is the only version using the EDC17, all others use a Delphi ECM (no urea), lucky you!!

Hmmm, wonder if some ECM swaps will be happening then...

cindy@efilive
June 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Colorado already has a 2.5L and 2.8L Duramax option, everywhere but the USA (we wont even get the same Colorado as the rest of the world, if we get one at all.) Tell me how that makes sense.

Just because it shares a name doesn't make it the same....consider yourself lucky that your not stuck with Thai Imports.

Another example is the Malibu platform. ECMs and engines different based on region. The new diesel Malibu launched in Australia this week is also straight out of Asia.

Cheers
Cindy

comnrailpwr
June 19th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Thats what the soon to be is wanting, a Malibu. I wish it got a diesel here in the states. I'm willing to spend the extra money because in my experience you make that back on resale here in the states.

GMPX
June 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Actually it makes total sense, look at what GM has had to do to get the Cruze Diesel ready for the USA compared to every other Cruze Diesel sold in the world, the 2.5L and 2.8L Duramax in the rest of the world don't require DEF but they would in the USA. GM is not the one to be pointing the finger at here, but I think you guys probably know that already. In fact I don't think the 2.8L Duramax even has a DPF on our local cars.
If it's any consolation, you know the Camaro was pretty much designed here in Melbourne, Australia, also one of the only places in the world where you can't buy one! But I blame that on our English heritage and current laws about LHD cars, not GM fault.

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 20th, 2013, 11:21 PM

Sure, just rub that salt in our wounds !!!!

KhakiCummins
June 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
If GM was building the Cruze Diesel with a manual trans, I would be all over one of them.

LB72004
July 4th, 2013, 05:53 PM
so if the US version is using the EDC17 ECU then we can expect the VW tuners (Malone, Revo, etc) to jump on board and start tuning these?

cindy@efilive
July 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM
so if the US version is using the EDC17 ECU then we can expect the VW tuners (Malone, Revo, etc) to jump on board and start tuning these?

Probably a question best posted on a VW Tuners forum. I don't think anyone here has the expertise to give you an answer based on any kind of fact....

Cheers
Cindy

GMPX
July 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM
If GM was building the Cruze Diesel with a manual trans, I would be all over one of them.
Outside of the USA you can have a manual trans Cruze Diesel without Urea too :grin:

comnrailpwr
July 4th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Ugh, there are benefits to this country but also downfalls and that is one of them.

KhakiCummins
July 5th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Outside of the USA you can have a manual trans Cruze Diesel without Urea too :grin:

Sure, rub it in.... :sly:

comnrailpwr
October 27th, 2013, 12:55 PM
really thinking hard. just went and looked at another blue ray metalic diesel. it is nice and would fit the wife perfectly. I'm thinking i'll have one very soon. I also enjoy doing ecm swaps and reverse automotive electrical engineering. if anyone has access to the service manual with all the wiring diagrams I sure would like to take a look at it. I wonder if an E20 ecm would fit under the hood. and keep the rest of the car happy:w00t:

GMPX
October 27th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I think they run different injectors, pump etc, most of the parts I see on my engine have a Delphi sticker on them, ours is a Family Z (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_Z_engine) motor, the US version is a Family B (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_B_engine#2.0).

cindy@efilive
October 27th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Why are you considering an ECM swap? we plan on supporting the E47.

Cheers
Cindy

comnrailpwr
October 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM
This would be distant way after the warranty is out. Only reason would be for reliability emission purposes. I doubt I would but I like challenges. Im one of those who cant leave anything alone. It's going to be hard enough to not tune the car till warranty is out.

GMPX
October 27th, 2013, 05:03 PM
The only thing different is you have urea, rest of the world does not. Ours still has DPF, DOC, Throttle, EGR etc.
I'm starting to like the E20 ECM though, WBO2 sensor from factory, knock sensors for noise control, great set of PID's to log, 6 injection events if needed (two pilot, Main and 3 x post), target AFR in closed loop all the time. Pretty sure the Family Z uses 12V injectors too, Pretty sure the Bosch system on the US Cruze is high voltage, I think you would be mad to consider the swap, however, I think the E20 would make a great ECM for conversion setups.

comnrailpwr
October 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Thats nice. Hopefully you can come up with a nice set of tables for the USA ecm.

comnrailpwr
November 1st, 2013, 01:41 AM
Bought One, Neat little commuters. 16052

ScarabEpic22
November 1st, 2013, 05:10 AM
Congrats on the new ride! I bought a 13 Sonic RS back in late June as a DD/commuter and have enjoyed it so far. I bought the manual, thinking that might not have been the best idea for a commuter in Seattle traffic, but I've made it work so far. Wish it had a little more power, but then again that's a pretty common issue with any car! :D

comnrailpwr
November 1st, 2013, 05:37 AM
For what it is it goes pretty good. I wanted a manual bad but just isn't an option with the diesel Cruze. Its going to be hard to not tune this thing. For once in my life im going to have to leave something stock for an extended time.

KhakiCummins
November 1st, 2013, 05:56 AM
As soon as they release a manual diesel Cruze I'll be down at the dealer ordering one.

comnrailpwr
November 1st, 2013, 06:04 AM
Hoping the Malibu gets a diesel option. Would be nice to have a little more room in the back. No kids that I know about so this will do just fine for now. Its about the same size as the 05 civic we traded in.

cindy@efilive
November 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM
Malibu diesel became an option here earlier this year.

Cheers
Cindy

KhakiCummins
November 1st, 2013, 09:08 AM
Can it be had with a manual too?

cindy@efilive
November 1st, 2013, 09:14 AM
Nope just an auto http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/new_holden_malibu_review

Cheers
Cindy

GMPX
November 1st, 2013, 09:35 AM
For what it is it goes pretty good. I wanted a manual bad but just isn't an option with the diesel Cruze. Its going to be hard to not tune this thing. For once in my life im going to have to leave something stock for an extended time.I put mine back to stock for a few days, wow, they are dull :rotflmao:, reflash, reflash, you know you want to.

As soon as they release a manual diesel Cruze I'll be down at the dealer ordering one.
I wonder if the no manual trans option for the USA has to do with emissions? As far as I know worldwide the Cruze Diesel has had both transmission options from the time it was introduced, as has the Captiva Diesel and Colorado Diesel, oh, you don't get those either :pokey:

Malibu diesel became an option here earlier this year.
But with a locked down Bosch EDC17 :Throwup:

comnrailpwr
November 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM
I put mine back to stock for a few days, wow, they are dull :rotflmao:, reflash, reflash, you know you want to.

But with a locked down Bosch EDC17 :Throwup:

I dont even think I have support yet do I? Besides if its like anything else that gets a new engine here in the states, they'll be bugs to work out. Which im sure my tuning could fix. Dome of these factory calibrations are scary. yes I agree, an E20 ecm would fit much better.

KhakiCummins
November 1st, 2013, 02:33 PM
I wonder if the no manual trans option for the USA has to do with emissions? As far as I know worldwide the Cruze Diesel has had both transmission options from the time it was introduced, as has the Captiva Diesel and Colorado Diesel, oh, you don't get those either :pokey:

Probably more likely that automakers have realized most Americans are too lazy to take the time to learn to drive a manual.....

GMPX
November 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM
I dont even think I have support yet do I?
Not yet, it is in beta only, but it will certainly be out by the time your warranty is up.

Besides if its like anything else that gets a new engine here in the states, they'll be bugs to work out. Which im sure my tuning could fix.
The tune in our local Diesel Cruze is actually really good for what they are trying to achieve, GM could never release a Diesel car that has the wheels fighting for traction at half throttle off the line :rockon:, but that is how I like it.
I think I'll take it in for its first service with the tune in it and see if they say anything.

Dome of these factory calibrations are scary
I give GM more credit than that, they do it for a reason and I don't think it is because they don't know what they are doing, for sure it will be an emissions, warranty claim reduction reason.

yes I agree, an E20 ecm would fit much better.
I'm really liking the E20 now, fueling is done by a target AFR and because it is closed loop all the time I can just call a target AFR and it gives me the mm3 needed to reach that AFR, it is pretty neat. Plus it has knock sensors to adjust the pilot timings at idle to make them quieter.
I think it would make a great ECM for a 4 cyl Cummins.

Probably more likely that automakers have realized most Americans are too lazy to take the time to learn to drive a manual.....
They probably looked at how many manual trans VW Diesels are sold vs auto's and decided to scrap the idea. What is interesting is the rest of the world gets the 4T50 trans where the US Cruze has the Aisin trans.

joecar
November 1st, 2013, 08:23 PM
With the auto trans, the car maker can more easily achieve 2 things here in the USA:
- increased fuel mileage (i.e. meeting CAFE requirements),
- reduced emissions (i.e. meeting CARB/EPA requirements);
they do this by upshifting early, by inhibiting particular downshifts, (and of course by applying the TCC often).

LB72004
November 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM
found this in an Auto magazine.
if so seems like it sure would make tuning easier for the experienced duramax tuners when this becomes available

Boost
November 9th, 2013, 05:31 AM
if so seems like it sure would make tuning easier for the experienced duramax tuners when this becomes available

Good stuff. Even the 1.4t Cruzey has the characteristics (powerband, trans. shifting) of D-max, I.M.O.

GMPX
November 10th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Both use a variant of the Bosch EDC17 series ECM's, so yes similar hardware and software, similar the key word here, certainly not the same though.

Boost
November 10th, 2013, 10:20 AM
What trans. is in it? Is it stronger than the one in my car, and will it fit? LOL

GMPX
November 10th, 2013, 11:06 AM
A Japanese Aisin F40-6 with a non GM sourced TCM (ie, not T76 or T43) :yucky:

comnrailpwr
November 10th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Well thats Poop

GMPX
November 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure why this was done, all other Cruze Diesel's (eg, non USA models) get the 6T40 trans and our engine makes just a touch more torque than yours.
USA Cruze is 264 lb-ft @ 2,600 RPM, rest of the world is 266 lb·ft @ 1750 RPM (according to Wiki) so it's not like the 6T40 can't be up to the task, GM wouldn't want thousands of these transmissions breaking all over the place nad I am guessing the Korean sourced 6T40 is going to be cheaper than the Japanese trans.

Boost
November 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah I agree with you, so far so good - mine is rated at 258 torque (two less than stock) and I am peaking at over 350 and holding steady well over 300 all over the powerband as I am experimenting. No trouble yet except for the mystery shifts - the more power I make the softer and slower it shifts @ WOT (T/C off and all) but I am still investigating what it may be. Not bad little A/T units at all so far.

comnrailpwr
November 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Ross can you email me a stock Cruze file for me to take a look at. Im interested to see what the EDC17 has to offer. Also one for the E20 plz. I wonder if I could retrofit all the necessary sensors from the non US Cruze along with a standalone harness to run a 4cyl cr Cummins project I have in mind. The deal killer will be what kind of injection pump/injector driver signal the ecm puts out. Im sure with some machine work I can use the Cruze injectors but would rather use a cp3 pump. Thanks.
Jake@fullpulltuning.com

GMPX
November 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM
USA Cruze has not been mapped at this point (well, there is only 5 or 6 tables) just so we knew we could flash in modified tunes, Fleece Performance is hex editing (or creating .cax files) and then flashing with EFILive. The EDC17 is essentially an LMM on steroids, the concepts are pretty much the same.
I will post up some E20 tunes with the next update (which will have the E20 tuning active).

bobo
November 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM
A Japanese Aisin F40-6 with a non GM sourced TCM (ie, not T76 or T43) :yucky:

The TCM tuning is so bad....I can hardly stand it! It hunts gears real bad......its like someone said, "thats good enough" and quit working on it 3/4 done. I'd tune the TCM in this car way before I touched the ECM.

GMPX
November 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM
That might be a problem Bobo, it is a Japanese sourced unit, nothing to do with the 'normal' GM systems. I am not rubbing salt in to the wound, but our local Cruze TCM tune is quite good, just needed some firming up on the shifts and that is about it.

comnrailpwr
November 23rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Does the non US Diesel Cruze have remote start? I think all US ones do. Mine does and just wondering if you have found the ability to lengthen the run time longer than 10 minutes in mapping the E20 ecm? I know, wishfull thinking that its an ECM function but thought I would ask. It be nice to run a little longer.

GMPX
November 28th, 2013, 01:40 PM
No remote start for our Aussie ones, not sure about Europe.