PDA

View Full Version : Full Flash on New 'blank' module?

TBMSport
June 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Can AutoCal do a Full Flash Reprogram on a new/blank T42T43/E38/E67 straight from the dealer or must a V2 be used? Thanks.

GMPX
June 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Autocal or V2 could do the T42 or T43, but both the ECM's need to be done at the dealer because of the secondary CPU contained in the E38/E67's, it's not possible to read that part of the ECM, therefore we can't program it either. GM's TIS2WEB system just downloads all the necessary files off their server and therefore is able to reflash everything.
If you are doing a lot of them then you could always consider a $1K yearly subscription to TIS so you can do the same thing on a bench harness.

TBMSport
June 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
awesome...thanks!

ScarabEpic22
June 28th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Get a DrewTech Mongoose Pro GM II Jesse, mine works really well for bench flashing ECM/TCMs from Tis2Web plus the hardware didnt break the bank.

TBMSport
July 15th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Having problem. Customer is getting $0281 code for both ECM and TCM. I went into the BBX/BBL and set it to read an E38 and T43, saved and uploaded the files in "AutoCal" format....they are in the module. He is using FULL FULL program as the instructions say. When we plug a regular scanner in it can see the ECM, but of course the TCM is not seen bc its new from GM and not flashed.

This is the second time it's not working and we're burning up money with postage and losing weeks due to this. HELP!!!

Blacky
July 15th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Having problem. Customer is getting $0281 code for both ECM and TCM. I went into the BBX/BBL and set it to read an E38 and T43, saved and uploaded the files in "AutoCal" format....they are in the module. He is using FULL FULL program as the instructions say. When we plug a regular scanner in it can see the ECM, but of course the TCM is not seen bc its new from GM and not flashed.

This is the second time it's not working and we're burning up money with postage and losing weeks due to this. HELP!!!

If you are getting $0281 when trying to read the ECM, then that probably has nothing to do with a blank TCM. Once you are able to read the ECM (or even just Display DTCs) without getting $0281 (i.e. once comms between AutoCal and the vehicle are working), then try full-flashing the T43.

Things to check:
Make sure the AutoCal is using the latest firmware (V2.07.45). To make sure, the user should download and install the latest V8 software and then run the V8 software and click on [Check Firmware].
If you always get $0280 or $0281 when selecting "Display DTCs", then there is a fault in the CAN comms between AuotCal and the vehicle.

Regards
Paul

TBMSport
July 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
If you are getting $0281 when trying to read the ECM, then that probably has nothing to do with a blank TCM. Once you are able to read the ECM (or even just Display DTCs) without getting $0281 (i.e. once comms between AutoCal and the vehicle are working), then try full-flashing the T43.

Things to check:
Make sure the AutoCal is using the latest firmware (V2.07.45). To make sure, the user should download and install the latest V8 software and then run the V8 software and click on [Check Firmware].
If you always get $0280 or $0281 when selecting "Display DTCs", then there is a fault in the CAN comms between AuotCal and the vehicle.

Regards
Paul

Maybe I missed something in the directions or didn't explain myself clearly. We're not trying to read the ECM/TCM...were trying to (re)program. I insured it had the latest firmware before sending it back (by hitting the update button in Scan V8 and then confirming it with the toolbar icon). Again I insured that it was programmed for an E38/T43. I loaded in the calz, which he can see are in the unit and I told him to do FULL PROGRAM...and that's when we get a problem. Last time before I realized I had to programm the E38/T43 it would go 99% then fail. To test COMM lines we tried the shops scan tool which has no problem finding the ECM and pulling up codes. TCM is of course invisible because it's new and unformatted. The PRNDL works. So we know the comm lines are good.

TBMSport
July 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Not for nothing, but does it matter that this was an AutoCal previous tethered to another V2 and still holding old LS1 tunes in it?

Blacky
July 15th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Maybe I missed something in the directions or didn't explain myself clearly. We're not trying to read the ECM/TCM...were trying to (re)program.

I realize you are trying to program it, I was suggesting to try reading the controller, or even easier try reading DTCs to make sure the comms with AutoCal are working correctly. If you can't read DTC's without getting $0280 or $0281 then there's no hope of reading or flashing a controller.

When I said test comms lines I meant the comms lines between AutoCal and the vehicle. Checking with another scan tool is good, it shows the ECM is functioning but it wont help diagnose any comms problems between AutoCal and the ECM. Since you're getting $0280 (as I understand on both ECM and TCM) then we really need to figure out why. There may be a fault in the OBDII cable between AutoCal and the vehicle's OBDII connector, there may be a fault in AutoCal's CAN system.

So really, the first thing to do is to be absolutely certain that AutoCal can communicate with the CAN bus in the vehicle. You can do that by selecting "Display DTCs". If you get $0280 or $0281 then there is a fault.
Once you have confirmed AutoCal is able to communicate with the CAN bus in the vehicle, then the next step is to try full-flashing the T43.

If the AutoCal has been correctly unlinked (by the tuner that originally linked it) and then re-linked to your FlashScan, then it should be ok. Even if it wasn't linked correctly, you would not be getting $0281 errors, you'd get errors like: $0535 or $0536

You (or the end customer) can clear out any old LS1 tune files using the EFILive Explorer program. You'll find them under the [F3: Data files] tab page in the folder: \EFILive\Tune\...
You (or the end customer) can clear out any old LS1 configuration files using the EFILive Explorer program. You'll find them under the [F9: Config Files] tab page

Regards
Paul

TBMSport
July 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Gotcha! Thanks...I'll update them tomorrow and update you here.

TBMSport
July 16th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Ok...he said that he can read codes. What do we check next?

Blacky
July 16th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Ok...he said that he can read codes. What do we check next?

If possible, try reading the T43 using V8 pass-thru - i.e. with a laptop connected to the vehicle via the AutoCal. If it fails to read then locate the matching trace file on the laptop in the folder \My Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace and send it to me.
If it does read out, then try full flashing it. Again if the full-flash fails, send me the trace file.

If the customer can't get access to a laptop to attempt the pass-thru option, then try reading the controller using BBR and if it fails then save a trace file on the AutoCal (the save trace file option is after the list of full flash files on AutoCal's menu). Use EFILive explorer to copy the saved trace file form AutoCal's \EFILive\Scan folder to your PC and send it to me.
If it does read out using BBR, then try full flashing it using BBF. Again if the full-flash fails, save the trace and send me the trace file.

Important: when saving a trace file on AutoCal, it must be done after the error/failure occurs and before powering off AutoCal. Powering off AutoCal will cause all the trace information to be lost.

Regards
Paul

TBMSport
July 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Will do and post back...thanks!