PDA

View Full Version : CSP5 and Allison?

beav
July 1st, 2013, 11:37 PM
When the CSP5 is released to the public, will the Allison have to relearn each time I switch the tunes?

In other words, if I have been on the highway all day on the economy tune, but come to a stop light beside a revving Corvette, if I put it on the "Vette Eater" tune, will the tranny jump off its mounts and start running the other direction?

THEFERMANATOR
July 2nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Yes, the ALLISON will HATE life. ANY changes in power REQUIRE letting the ALLISON relearn. And since your running a DESTROKED kit you have no torque management so the lack of defuel on shifts is even harder on the ALLISON.

beav
July 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Yes, the ALLISON will HATE life. ANY changes in power REQUIRE letting the ALLISON relearn. And since your running a DESTROKED kit you have no torque management so the lack of defuel on shifts is even harder on the ALLISON.
Ouch! That hurts! Doesn't sound like the CSP5 is going to be much fun for me. It would be nice to parallel tune switching within the TCM along with the ECU.

beav
July 2nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
At some point, I want to figure out how to integrate the Cummins ECU with the TCM. I do not really like having the two systems primarily isolated anyways.

THEFERMANATOR
July 2nd, 2013, 03:18 PM
At some point, I want to figure out how to integrate the Cummins ECU with the TCM. I do not really like having the two systems primarily isolated anyways.
You can either run a MD OS in the TCM that is meant for the CUMMINS, get access to the ALLISON DOC software and change the databus protocol settings in the TCM(this will probably NEVER happen with all of the redtape surrounding the GM software and the ALLISON selloff), or you could try and see if the GM TCM can read the J1939 messages over the databus as is.

beav
July 2nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Not exactly sure how the TCM is getting the torque input value now. From what I understand, in order to generate the GM "Effective Throttle" value (GM.TPS PID in EFILive,) it uses torque and the 0-5vdc TPS input.

Actually, I have considered working on figuring out how integrate directly. I have access to both an MD OS and Allison Doc, so maybe I will take a look. Is it true that EFILive will not work with the MD OS?

One other thing. I'll have to figure out how to incorporate a second profile for T/H mode. Maybe if I could dig into the comms and pull some addresses, I could use Arduino or something like that to turn T/H on. Actually, now that I think about it, isn't T/H mode sort of like a second tune? Maybe I can figure all this out at some point...

THEFERMANATOR
July 3rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
The XFC should be able to activate tow/haul mode for you now, and yes it is essentially a 2nd completely different tune and adaptive set from the regular tune file. The 5 speed uses a APPS signal it receives from the ECM to determine shift points(TPS VS RPM's and speed). The 6 speed uses a torque value to determine shifts. Torque management is basically just a request for X amount of torque for each shift to get the desired amount of defuel. It is an adaptive value that the TCM comes up with based off of shift time, and a torque value(that it derives using an internal algorythim).

beav
July 3rd, 2013, 05:14 AM
The XFC should be able to activate tow/haul mode for you now, and yes it is essentially a 2nd completely different tune and adaptive set from the regular tune file. The 5 speed uses a APPS signal it receives from the ECM to determine shift points(TPS VS RPM's and speed). The 6 speed uses a torque value to determine shifts. Torque management is basically just a request for X amount of torque for each shift to get the desired amount of defuel. It is an adaptive value that the TCM comes up with based off of shift time, and a torque value(that it derives using an internal algorythim).
Sounds doable. From what i understand from PCS tech spport is that the XFC only converts the TPS ~0-5v from the APPS (Dodge pedal in my case) along with the T/H signal to CAN that is read by the TCM. I have nothing connected between the Cummins ECU and the Allison TCM other than sharing the 0-5 APPS signal.

I wonder if I could defuel the 6.7 by triggering an event-based pwm output from the TCM or maybe even from the XFC that would manipulate the APPS to the ECU.