PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way for 3 different tunes?

Texas Edition
July 11th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hey guys, I plan on getting a new Lifted 2013 Silverado LTZ or Sierra SLT or Denali Duramax. I don't see that there's no support for the 2013 models, unless I missed something. I assume this will happen, just wondering if anyone knows when. I guess I have time, since I plan on getting it roughly 10 months from now as I plan on saving up to put down an 80% downpayment; roughly $40k and finance the rest

(I use to have a GORGEOUS fully blacked out, front, rear bumpers, grill trim and black grill without the GMC Emblem, 2008 Sierra SLT 5.3l and unfortunately someone pulled out infront of me on the highway and rolled it 4 times and she fled. It was either hit her and kill her and her kid or attempt to save the truck; unsuccessfully.)

I know there is a DSP5 switch, but I was wondering if there is a need for 5 tunes. One for Performance, Towing and Pure Economy for the highway since I travel over 600 miles round trip once a month is what I'm looking for. What about the other 2 tunes? Could that be for 2 other levels of Performance tunes I assume?.

I'm thinking about getting a 2008 Powerstroke to get me by since I want to get rid of my moderately lifted Nissan Armada.

I want to add a Bully Dog Monitor; not the tuner. I wish EFI Live would have a Monitor like Bully Dog. Or is there a better monitor than the Bully Dog Monitor?

I did a search, but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for.

Any idea what kind of Torque/HP gains I would expect to achieve from the 765ft lbs of torque from the Duramax?? Also, what kind of Fuel Economy would I expect?

Thanks guys!

comnrailpwr
July 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM
My guess is there will not be support for '13 trucks as there is no support for '11 & '12 trucks. Restrictions in the ecm have prevented this.

GMPX
July 16th, 2013, 12:37 PM
If we ever offered support for the 2011+ Duramax a DSP5 type OS is out of the question. The security on those ECM's is over the top and we can't (I don't think anyone in the world) alter the OS code and reflash via the OBDII port. It's protected by an RSA key signature and hash algorithim, only Bosch knows how to correct it.

Highlander
July 17th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Is this at all possible on a Gas Vehicle???? I really like it how you can do it on nissan's with just a flip of the Cruise control.

GMPX
July 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM
On the E38 & E67 we have many OS's that can be forced in to E85 mode with the flip of a switch.

Texas Edition
July 21st, 2013, 11:57 AM
Wow. That is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'd hate to go with a canned tune such as Bully Dog, which would be my choice of a canned tune. So since we can't even do a complete custom tune due to the new LLY motor, all of my mods that I plan on doing, won't give it it's true potential.

My plans for mods are for performance, fuel economy and fuel economy in Tow Mode:

EGR Delete
DPF Delte
Aftermarket Intercooler (Performance gains and gas mileage improvement)
CNG Injection (Also lowers EGT. 30mpg is not unheard of, but will take alot of the bed space since it's stored in gas form, not liquid form like Propane.) May have to go with a longbed.
Propane Injection (Also Lowers EGT)
Water/Meth Injection (Simple to "refuel" as it can be any mixture. Can be 100% Water or 100% Meth. Can be refilled by going to any auto parts store to buy a $2 bottle of Windshield Wiper Fluid @ 70/30 Water/Meth. This will increase performance, but brings down the EGT)
Larger Injectors
CAI
Exhaust
Full Exhaust from the turbo downpipe
Larger Turbo Downpipe (Stock is so restrictive and can even be crumpled up.)
Bully Dog Triple Monitor (This allows you to watch your EGT. I would use the monitor with an EFI Live tune anyway, but since that seems impossible, looks like the Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner is it)
And of course, a tune (Probably a Bully Dog)
Electric Fan Conversion (If the Duramax doesn't come along with it)
With these mods, I would need to strengthen the Heads. So a Head Bolt Stud Kit will be ordered. Possibly a Fire Ringed Cylinder Head if I go BIG
Allison 1000 Transmission Upgrades. New Torque Convertor and new Valve Body since it's needed when 150hp+ is achieved, which I will be going beyond that.

Check out this site, if you haven't seen it already. It's for Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax. GREAT site for Mods and gives you a detailed explanation of each Mod.)
http://www.dieselhub.com/diesel-performance.html

So I will be spending roughly $5k on performance mods. Looking to get roughly 800hp and 1800ft lbs of torque with 35mpg on highway, which is easily achieved with EGR Delete, DPF Delete, Water/Meth Injection and Propane or CNG Injection or both. So 30mpg with just CNG alone is easily achievable, but while adding what I just mentioned, 35-40mpg is easily achievable.

If you are wondering why I want to do all of this, I will be towing a 36ft camper and a 36-40ft yacht. Plus, hey, why not? If there is so much power to be unleashed in these Duramax's, then do it. I'd love to wipe these Corvette's, Porche's, new Camaro's, etc... on the track or safely on the street (not in town.) We don't have Inspections in Oklahoma any more so I can do the EGR and DPF Delete along with eliminating the Catalytic Convertors with an increased Turbo Downpipe.

Has anyone modded their Duramax moderately or to the extreme? I'm curious to what kind of performance and economy gains you guys have achieved. What mods worked the best and gave you the most bang for your buck. Also, if you could let me know how much you paid for each mod, that would be great.

Thanks guys! Always willing to help, so I appreciate it.

Cummins610
July 21st, 2013, 05:28 PM
^Lol!!! Want to buy a unicorn?

Texas Edition
July 22nd, 2013, 07:15 PM
I don't see how that's impossible. all of those parts are available to purchase so how does that have anything to do with a unicorn? I have seen power output at a Dyno from a Duramax and saw one from a late Cummins. they were putting well into the 4 figures both horsepower and torque wize. that's how I came up with my figures. instead of mocking me, how about you go read that link I pasted. you might learn something. I did. and don't give me any of that, Oh I know better crap, just read it first.

^Lol!!! Want to buy a unicorn?