PDA

View Full Version : 6.7 Swapped into Ford - SKIM Issue

beav
July 20th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I am using the stock tune and O/S that came with this ECU, disabled SKIM and still it dies in 3 seconds and won't start at all after 5 times. From what I understand this is the anti-theft issue, but I just cannot seem to get around it.

Any ideas anyone?

2008 6.7 Cummins ECU
O/S: 11620500
Cal: 62351235AP

anarchydiesel
July 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
you need a base file with security disabled. The options we have for security do not fully disable it. There was a file floating around the forum somewhere that had it all disabled.

beav
July 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM
you need a base file with security disabled. The options we have for security do not fully disable it. There was a file floating around the forum somewhere that had it all disabled.
Thanks for the info!

Anyone out there know where I could find this? How about all of the 6.7 swappers...are you using just the C&C or do you have the LD Ram base file referenced by anarchydiesel?

skneeland
July 24th, 2013, 02:12 AM

by chance, does this apply to the 5.9 as well? im still having some issues with security after disabling it

beav
July 24th, 2013, 02:25 AM
by chance, does this apply to the 5.9 as well? im still having some issues with security after disabling it

Why disable SKIM? Are you doing a swap?

skneeland
July 24th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Why disable SKIM? Are you doing a swap?

no swap, this:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?22870-0549-code-when-trying-to-reflash

truck starts, runs for a few seconds, then dies. dash lit up like Xmas tree & security light flashing. I have security and skim disabled in tune...

406nick
September 25th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the info!

Anyone out there know where I could find this? How about all of the 6.7 swappers...are you using just the C&C or do you have the LD Ram base file referenced by anarchydiesel?

Have you had any luck finding this beav? I am doing basically the same conversion as you and I have tried a number of different files from tunedepot. So much so actually that I am thinking I may have bricked my ecm. The last couple tunes I tried I haven't been able to get it to start at all. Before I could get it to start for the typical 3 seconds. These are my ecm numbers....11610805 61301434.

beav
September 25th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Have you had any luck finding this beav? I am doing basically the same conversion as you and I have tried a number of different files from tunedepot. So much so actually that I am thinking I may have bricked my ecm. The last couple tunes I tried I haven't been able to get it to start at all. Before I could get it to start for the typical 3 seconds. These are my ecm numbers....11610805 61301434.
I am still using the C&C tune and I have rescaled all of the tables to better match max fueling at 90-100 mm3. It is working pretty well for now with tons of power.

You probably did not brick your ecu, but probably still just the SKIM issue. After doing the 3 second kill 5 consecutive times, it will no linger start and requires you to disconnect power from the ecu for some time to reset the cycle.

406nick
September 26th, 2013, 12:34 AM
So what tune did you end up using (or where did you get it)? I see you are also running an 08 6.7L. Are you using a manual transmission tune or an automatic? I was going to try one that Tobin uploaded but not sure if it will work since it is for an 07 manual. My original ecu is an 08 auto.

beav
September 26th, 2013, 02:00 AM
So what tune did you end up using (or where did you get it)? I see you are also running an 08 6.7L. Are you using a manual transmission tune or an automatic? I was going to try one that Tobin uploaded but not sure if it will work since it is for an 07 manual. My original ecu is an 08 auto.

I believe that it was post #58 or #59 that i used. Seems like they both worked, but I do not recall which one that I started with. if I had my laptop handy, I could tell you for sure.

If you are not running a tranny from the ECU, then a manual tune will work fine as long as you are going to modify the tune to some degree because it may not be tuned efficiently for an auto. I want to try running an 08 or 09 O/S for a LD Ram instead of the 07.5 because of the sooting and overheating issues they had in taht year. It is probably resolved with a tune mod, but if it is a problem derived from the O/S, then I would be concerned. As of yet, I am not having any soot build-up issues, but I may not have driven it enough yet.

Now, with that, i ultimately want to run my Allison from the ECU or at least better integrate true load and defueling between the two via Analog-to-CAN and CAN-to-CAN conversions. The latter, i am already researching and hope to develop a good solution.

406nick
September 26th, 2013, 03:23 AM
I believe that it was post #58 or #59 that i used. Seems like they both worked, but I do not recall which one that I started with. if I had my laptop handy, I could tell you for sure.

If you are not running a tranny from the ECU, then a manual tune will work fine as long as you are going to modify the tune to some degree because it may not be tuned efficiently for an auto. I want to try running an 08 or 09 O/S for a LD Ram instead of the 07.5 because of the sooting and overheating issues they had in taht year. It is probably resolved with a tune mod, but if it is a problem derived from the O/S, then I would be concerned. As of yet, I am not having any soot build-up issues, but I may not have driven it enough yet.

Now, with that, i ultimately want to run my Allison from the ECU or at least better integrate true load and defueling between the two via Analog-to-CAN and CAN-to-CAN conversions. The latter, i am already researching and hope to develop a good solution.

I will try that tune again and see if it will work this time after letting it sit for awhile. It's very possible that is just so happened that was my fifth time trying to start it and locked me out. Like everyone else I couldn't figure out why turning off the security wouldn't allow it to start. Which actually still makes me wonder because this ecm is a cab and chassis. It could be that the person that had it before had another tuner on it like in the other thread I suppose.
You will have to keep me updated on how it goes controlling the allison. That sounds very interesting. Btw I would have pm'd you this question but couldn't figure out how to do a pm on here.
Did you do the delete on your engine or do they still soot up even if you do the delete? And by the sounds of it nobody has gotten any LD modules to work because of the skim issue have they?

beav
September 26th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I will try that tune again and see if it will work this time after letting it sit for awhile. It's very possible that is just so happened that was my fifth time trying to start it and locked me out. Like everyone else I couldn't figure out why turning off the security wouldn't allow it to start. Which actually still makes me wonder because this ecm is a cab and chassis. It could be that the person that had it before had another tuner on it like in the other thread I suppose.
You will have to keep me updated on how it goes controlling the allison. That sounds very interesting. Btw I would have pm'd you this question but couldn't figure out how to do a pm on here.
Did you do the delete on your engine or do they still soot up even if you do the delete? And by the sounds of it nobody has gotten any LD modules to work because of the skim issue have they?

In short, the SKIM disable in EFILive just does not work. Maybe Blacky or someone could shed some light on that, but as far as I am concerned we have to rely on the "right" O/S that doesn't even use SKIM.

Removing the EGR stuff definitely helps to keep things clean up, but there was an issue on the early 07.5's that concern me enought to avoid them. First year designs always have their issues. Pretty sure they came out with an update for it anyways.

skneeland
September 26th, 2013, 07:26 AM
i am curious why you guys that are doing these conversions are not just using an 06/07 ecm instead in cases where you arent keeping the factory VGT?

beav
September 26th, 2013, 09:00 AM
i am curious why you guys that are doing these conversions are not just using an 06/07 ecm instead in cases where you arent keeping the factory VGT?
I still have my VGT, but if/when I go compounds, I will consider it. However, I probably will stick with my 08 for a few reasons: (1) I do not have to rewire everything; (2) I have faith in the EFILive team that they will be able to provide more tunable features with the 6.7 ECU than the later 5.9 ECUs; (3) just don't see enough reasons/advantages to going backwards. But, maybe someone could enlighten me on some good reasons. I'm always learning something new. :thumb_yello:

406nick
September 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM

I am also using the vgt turbo so I don't really have that option either. It definitely does make sense though if a person were getting rid of it. Are the 06 and 07's quite a bit easier to tune on? Do they still have skim issues?

skneeland
September 27th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I am also using the vgt turbo so I don't really have that option either. It definitely does make sense though if a person were getting rid of it. Are the 06 and 07's quite a bit easier to tune on? Do they still have skim issues?

i dont know about the skim/security issues in a conversion setting, but im pretty sure they arent so dependant on a VSS signal for fueling like the newer ecm. i have spoken to a couple guys that were doing a ford conversion and swapping to the older ecm was their plan since they had no intentions of keeping the VGT

comnrailpwr
September 29th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I converted my 03 pulling truck to run Efilive using 06 ecm. Absolutely no swap issues and no fuelling issues. I dont even have a vss signal for the ecm to see. I would ditch the junk vgt but that's just me.