PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! FLASH GONE BAD! Have i bricked my ECM?!

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM
Loaded a couple modified tunes on my truck one a day after work as i make the changes to the tune, every thing has gone great untill today. The third time i tried to flash the same tune with minor changes in it, the flash stopped about 4-5 mins in gave me "script exited with code $0548:flash check sum failed, please retry flash procedure". it also gave $0101 i cant remember when that popped up trying to read it i think. it was cycling to fuel pump when this happend and now through any attempt to turn the key on the dash lights are on and the fuel pump continues to cycle. now EFI wont even recognize the ecm! i pulled batt terminals pulled fuses no luck. Had a smarty so6 on prior and was returned to "stock".Can anyone help me??!! i have to work in the morning and the truck is dead in the water!!! this is my only vehicle here! Help@!@!@ Sorry if im not making sense im in panic mode trying to figure this out!

GMPX
July 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Had a smarty so6 on prior and was returned to "stock".Can anyone help me??!!
Unfortunately the ECM is probably now dead, can you please Email the file you flashed in to support at efilive.com

Cheers,
Ross

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM
Unreal... what options do i have now?
Edit: i sent the file i was flashing at the time of the incident..:damnit1:

2007 5.9
July 21st, 2013, 10:20 AM
Missed the steps that lead to this situation...what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM
GMPX, i dont think i can send pms, is there a way i can private message you?

cindy@efilive
July 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM
You should email the file as requested above to support at EFILive.com.

No PM is necessary,

Cheers
Cindy

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
I have already sent the email to support@efilive.com. is this correct?

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 01:09 PM
sorry for the rapid posts admins thought it was my computer not letting them through. just need some help as to what i need to do to get my rig up and runnin again. thanks

cindy@efilive
July 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
I haven't seen the file yet. To speed up the process, can you please email it directly to me cindy@efilive.com

Once you've done that, you may like to read this thread on Smarty issues. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7l-performance-parts-discussion/613840-efi-live-important-info.html

Once I get your file, I'll get back to you within the hour (provided I'm still at work - it's currently 1pm Monday afternoon here).

Cheers
Cindy

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM
Update,
I tried the stock tune from file depot about 4 times with no success. I stopped the flash with the quit button during the erasing in the dialog box.. i then tried flashing one more time with the same file and it worked! one thing to note it died the first attempt after about 3 seconds like the skim key issue. Thats all i know could have fixed the issue. maybe this could help someone else with the same problem? I should have brought it to dealer in the first place for a clean tune (which im going to do as soon as i can anyway).
Should i wait and save the dealers flash and not use the files that i had previously loaded? i guess that would be a safe bet anyways.
Thanks EFI Live contributors, it was probably my doing in the first place.. oofta lesson learned DONT mess with the cummins unless its done right!
Thanks Cindy i sure appreciate the help, It appears ok now. that file should have gone through but if you still want it to save and look at later i can send it to you directly. its 10 pm here and i have to work at 6am tomorrow i can get it sent off if you would like im going to start fresh anyways. It may be important to note that mine would not respond to anything and gave me those errors from 2pm until now, and what ever i did free'd it up. so maybe its not really bricking unrecoverably. like i said i hope this can help someone else.

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM
Something else i just thought of, i was trying to data log and couldnt get the pids to show up on the graph. when i parked the truck i figured id mess with the logging later and that is when i tried the small change to the tune and all this happened. i dont know if that had something to do with it or not but if i cant figure out the data logging that may be my next question, tomorrow or the day after when i have time and AFTER the dealer reflash, small price to pay compaired to an ecm. btw i followed the efi tutorials as well as the efi live for dummies and i could NOT get the pids to show up. the log is saved but there is nothing on it, just scrolls. ill try figuring it out myself as soon as i have time.

cindy@efilive
July 21st, 2013, 02:56 PM
Send the file through when you get a chance.

Cheers
Cindy

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Okay Cindy I just sent the file I was flashing when it gave me the error. Like I said before I flashed this same file 3 times with no trouble and did everything by the book. It really struck me when it messed up. The only thing I did different was the data logging and i couldn't get that to work (probably my fault).

TravelinCummins
July 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
When I thought my ECM could have been bad, I tried everything I knew of from other peoples input. stopping the flash during the "erasing" part manually and starting over seemed to do it. Maybe it was the file? I don't know. Thanks again

cindy@efilive
July 21st, 2013, 03:17 PM
Your file looks fine, is intact and suitable for flashing.

I cannot explain why you had your issues, other than I'm glad they are now sorted and you didn't kill your ECM.

Cheers
Cindy

LReiff
September 7th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Any fix for the $0548 error code? I have an ecm that started popping this code after a few successful flashes. Now I can't flash it and the truck engine will not even crank over.

DODGE74
September 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Lee, are you a genuine stock tune to work from?

LReiff
September 9th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Yes. The tune I'm working from is 100% stock, read from an ecm that was reflashed at the dealership. The problem seems to be with a certain version v7.5 tuning software not converting the file properly for flashing with v8.

I was using v7.5.7.234 and v8.2.2.228 both were downloaded from here (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?22726-Update-June-05-2013&highlight=v8.2.2.228).

I realize this is the 5.9 section and the ecm I'm working on is 6.7. I currently have another ecm coming in, hopefully this one doesn't do the same. I have updated to the latest software versions.

The big question is, Is the ecm bricked?

LReiff
September 10th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Ok here is what happened. The ecm read I used for tuning has the Anti-Tuning Boot Loader. Read about it here (forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?19770-cant-flash-an-07/page2&highlight=Anti+Tuning+Boot+block).

The history.
The clean OS read came from an ecm that was installed at the dealership after the original ecm died, different truck than the one I just bricked the ecm.

I had tuned the original ecm so obviously the customer wanted the new ecm tuned as well.
I tuned the new (refurbished) ecm.
Today it only came back to me (in my mind) that I had to flash it with the OS I had saved from his original ecm.

The OS from the original ecm with the older version bootloader flashed in just fine...so, Refurbed ecms can be loaded with an older version bootloader? ? ? ?

The current issue.
I have a bricked ecm due to bootloader version 1000601. EFI-Live software will update a bootloader version.
Always check your cummins tunes to be sure they do not contain the dreaded bootloader version 1000601.
Let this be a warning to others!

Hind sight is always 20/20!
Edited for clarification

cindy@efilive
September 10th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Lee,

Your ECM SHOULD be recoverable from the Checksum error. Can you try and reflash the 601 stock file you saved originally back into ECM. That should flash in fine, and it won't reinstall the protected boot block.

Cheers
Cindy

LReiff
September 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cindy I've tried to load numerous files with different bootloader versions and all give me the same error code. I am currently using the August 24 software versions. I've literally tried loading this ecm with numerous different files, a dozen times maybe more.
If its possible to recover the ecm I'd be very happy. Currently the truck is running again but I'm over $500 into a used replacement ecm not counting the lost vin license.

justinp
September 11th, 2013, 03:07 AM
this happened to me also but i'm 90% sure its caused by my PC. (usb communication issue). i was able to recover the ecm. in future i'm going to put files on flash card and reflash that way. windows tries to go do something else during the flash and blam its over with.
this is my thery. had i happenen doing some gm's before using totally different system also.
thats why i think it's a windows thing.

LReiff
September 11th, 2013, 04:46 AM
I use windows XP on an EFI-Live tuning designated laptop. My laptop is not the issue, it has been and is currently a very stable machine.

If there's a way to recover this CM2100 ecm please tell me how.

cindy@efilive
September 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Lee, I've asked Paul to take a look at this thread.

Cheers
Cindy

GMPX
September 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I have a bricked ecm due to bootloader version 1000601. EFI-Live software will update a bootloader version.
Always check your cummins tunes to be sure they do not contain the dreaded bootloader version 1000601.
Let this be a warning to others!

Something worth noting here, the 601 bootblock is a problem, however, for a while now EFILive checks if the ECM has that bootblock installed and aborts the flash even before licensing if it does. Therefore doing nothing more than wasting some of your time, a license is not used only to find out the ECM can't be flashed with a modified tune. Also, because the flash process has not begun the ECM will just continue on as though nothing happened.

If there's a way to recover this CM2100 ecm please tell me how.
Yes very likely I would say, if you are only getting $0548 errors then the ECM is alive and well.
Do you have access to a bench harness?

I also just fitted a new hard disk to my laptop, it now has a 100% fresh install of the Aug 24 release, I have been able to reflash my 6.7L ECM without any issues at all.