PDA

View Full Version : Understanding differences between FlashScan and LS1_Edit tun

leres
February 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
My engine calibration is stock; I've only changed things like fans and gear ratio. I got my FlashScan cable yesterday and have captured my old LS1_Edit setup, restored the stock setup, captured that and now am recreating my changes in FlashScan. There are a few discrepancies I'd like to understand. The quotes will compare the FlashScan version against the LS1_Edit version.

{G0901} Fan #1 Turn-on Temp
CAL: "210" <===> ALT: "207"
All four of these are off by 3° F. Is this just a matter of LS1_Edit botching the conversion from the internal value to F?

{D0901} Part throttle 1->2 Shift Speeds
Different from cell: 0,0 to cell: 3,16 inclusive.

{D0910} WOT 1->2 Shift Speeds, Normal
CAL: "44" <===> ALT: "40"
I assume FlashScan is adjusting the automatic transmission shift points even though my car is a manual. (Seems like the right way to do it.)

{D0401} Enable CARS.
CAL: "Disable" <===> ALT: "Enable"

{D0402} Enable CARS Lamp
CAL: "Disable" <===> ALT: "Enable"
This is covered in a different thread; FlashScan has a different way of disabling CAGS.

{H0103} Differential ratio
CAL: "3.73" <===> ALT: "3.73"
This is covered by: "Values that differ by more than 0.0001 are considered different."

{H0101} Vehicle Speed Sensor Pulses per Mile
CAL: "47018" <===> ALT: "51280"
This is a good one; it looks like LS1_Edit doesn't adjust the odometer; I assume my mine has been clocking off 9% more mileage since I installed my new gears. In addition to the obvious, I guess I've been rotating my tires and changing the oil 270 miles early each 3K cycle... And oh yeah, my fuel mileage calcs have been off. Neato!

dbaxter_ss
February 24th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Boy am I glad to see someone else seeing these.

Thought I was losing it.

I did the same thing pulled current tune off with efi and put the old stock tune on with ls1edit, pulled off with efi and put the current back on with efi.

All I can say is WOW!!!!! 3 minutes pulling off and 30 seconds back on.

That ROCKS!!!!

sure glad I didn't have to pull it off with ls1edit first, well unless I needed to get a good half hour nap ;)

joecar
February 24th, 2005, 09:33 AM
leres,

My engine calibration is stock; I've only changed things like fans and gear ratio. I got my FlashScan cable yesterday and have captured my old LS1_Edit setup, restored the stock setup, captured that and now am recreating my changes in FlashScan. There are a few discrepancies I'd like to understand. The quotes will compare the FlashScan version against the LS1_Edit version.

It's not clear to me what the 2 calibrations CAL and ALT are (...you compared x to y, what're x and y...?)...?
:?: :idea: :!: :? :)

leres
February 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I made the same changes (e.g. 3.73 gears) to the stock calibration using FlashScan and LS1_Edit. CAL is the FlashScan version and ALT is the LS1_Edit version. I would expect them to be more similar than they are.

joecar
February 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM
I made the same changes (e.g. 3.73 gears) to the stock calibration using FlashScan and LS1_Edit. CAL is the FlashScan version and ALT is the LS1_Edit version. I would expect them to be more similar than they are.

A quick test...

Start your engine with AC off, and as it warms up log ECT and STATE06 (contains bitflags for FAN1 and FAN2/3); then when FAN1 turns on, look at the ECT and see if it matches 210 (EFILive) or 207 (LS1edit) degrees. Let us know of the result.

GMPX
February 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM
We have covered this temp inaccuracy before, it is not us.
I can show you the maths if you wish?.

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
February 24th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I don't doubt it, but being an engineer I'm interested in the math anyway.
:wink:

leres
February 24th, 2005, 11:48 AM
My assumption is that LS1_Edit is doing the math wrong; but I'll do the test and report back so we're sure.

leres
February 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I ran a quick test when I got home tonight. My stage 1 fan settings are 210/201° F; that's what EFILive reports the ECT is when the fans go on and off. (No surprise!)

However, there's something wacky going on with the speedometer calibration; I'll post info in a new thread (http://efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8661#8661).

Dirk Diggler
February 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM
When I was using edit i seen the same issue with the fan temps being off by about 2-3* lord only know what other numbers werent saved as they were inputted

jfpilla
March 13th, 2005, 03:10 PM
When I was using edit i seen the same issue with the fan temps being off by about 2-3* lord only know what other numbers werent saved as they were inputted

Here's one Dirk. PE rpm saves higher when inputted with Edit. EFI and HPT agree with each other, but not with Edit. Mine shows a resulting AFR of .1 richer than what was programmed with Edit.