PDA

View Full Version : Got new LS1B ECU for truck from junkyard to replace bricked one, and have some ???s

sac811
August 26th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I attempted to just straight off read the ECU and it said error $0281 something about no data received.

1. Do I need to do the relink VATS thing 10 mins on, 20 seconds off, 3 times first? Or is this PCM dead too?

2. The ECU is also a 2001 instead of 2002 like before, do I lose any tuneability, for the lower year?

3. And what is the best way to convert the tune I have from 2002 to 2001 OS?

Blacky
August 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I attempted to just straight off read the ECU and it said error $0281 something about no data received.

1. Do I need to do the relink VATS thing 10 mins on, 20 seconds off, 3 times first? Or is this PCM dead too?

That's not a good sign, how was the PCM powered and connected to the FlashScan? Was it hooked up to the vehicle's harness or were you using a bench harness?
Make sure the cigarette lighter fuse is ok, that powers the OBDII copnnector.

2. The ECU is also a 2001 instead of 2002 like before, do I lose any tuneability, for the lower year?
No.

3. And what is the best way to convert the tune I have from 2002 to 2001 OS?
Full flash your tune into the new PCM. I highly recommend making sure you can cal-flash it and read it back out again (multiple times) first before attempting any full-flash.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
August 26th, 2013, 08:03 AM

You will eventually need to perform a VATs relink or disable VATs (before the engine can be started) but not being linked will not prevent reading/flashing the controller.

Regards
Paul

sac811
August 26th, 2013, 09:26 AM
The new ecu was thru harness...so guessing new ecu is dead.