PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Adaptive Learn?

EagleMark
August 29th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Trying to figure out the algorithm of Adaptive learn.

Changing shift times to 0 disables it, seems to be what is done when shift kits are installed or your adaptive learn just unlearns all the shift kit does.

But even a stock trans changing shift times to 0.1000 1>2 from stock 0.3000 works well for a short period then they too soften up.

Back to setting shift times to 0.000 to disable then using Torque reduction to adjust the shift feel. Yeah it works. But I can't seem to find anywhere about adjusting the Adaptive learn tables?
D1101
D1102
D1103
and probably more importanly D1107 as the high in that parameter seems to be what data shows is happening when making changes to Shift times?

Wouldn't it be better to calm down the Learn and be able to adjust the shift times?

I think the missing part is what is it learning to? We know how much it can learn from tables above, but we don't know, or at least I don't know what they are adjusting back too?

EagleMark
August 30th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Aweful lonely... :music_whistling_1:

Did a data log with High Pressure adjust D1107 stock and one set to 0. Did not feel any difference with shift times set to 0, which is to be expected if shift times set to 0 disable the learn.

Trying to see if there is a better way to adjust shift times by adjusting learn pressure adjust settings. But can't get a map built right? How do you build a map for one column? I tried this but got a failure notice.

HellKnightHicks
August 31st, 2013, 12:03 AM
Your not alone lol

My understanding is that it's watching the line pressures and adjusting the force motor to make the shifts match the desired shift times.

I zeroed the low pressure adjust tables on mine so the computer will always command nothing less than the shift pressure provided in the table for that transition.

If it sees low pressure the high pressure adjust table is still intact.

Does that make sense.?

Here's a write up I did after talking to some experts here.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/tuningtips/4l60etuning.html

Any additions suggestions to that artical are very welcome

EagleMark
August 31st, 2013, 03:40 AM
Makes sense and been along with what I understand and what data is showing.

Even though I have shift times set to 0.000 and have tried 0 adapt learns and stock, I still see shift times of 0.2000, also PID for shift error matches. So I think it just takes time to shift no matter what is entered there. This is where a shift kit may have one up on PCM tune?

Going to try and match shift times in tables with what shift times are actual in data to see if Adapt Correction goes away. This would put shift times back to Base Shift pressures.

Need to get a map working correctly to data prove the theory. I think what I am missing in table is logging is a PID for Delivered Engine Torque.

Here's a write up I did after talking to some experts here.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/tuningtips/4l60etuning.html

Any additions suggestions to that artical are very welcomeWe came up with some specifics in this other thread HTH!
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23094-TCC-Tuning!-TCC-Lock-3rd-at-WOT

HellKnightHicks
August 31st, 2013, 05:46 PM
Where are the specifics i see lots of tech talk but i dont see the conclusion lol.

Would like to nail it down so i can do it to mine an document it... giving you credit of course.

joecar
September 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
EM, try GM.TRQENG.

Wheelz
September 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Just thinking out loud (cause I really don't know how a shift kit works)

If a kit raises the shift pressure without raising the commanded pressure, that may be part of the issue. The adaptive learn keeps the pressure within a certain amount of commanded. (I thinks it can only modify it to +/- 7 psi. So if the difference between actual shift pressure and commanded shift pressure is greater than the limits the adaptive learn can work with, that may explain why the adaptive learn is undoing what the shift kit does, and why they recommend it being disabled.

Like I said. Just thinking out loud. Never ran a shift kit to know how it works.

EagleMark
September 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
EM, try GM.TRQENG.Yup, got it going yesterday.

Just thinking out loud (cause I really don't know how a shift kit works)

If a kit raises the shift pressure without raising the commanded pressure, that may be part of the issue. The adaptive learn keeps the pressure within a certain amount of commanded. (I thinks it can only modify it to +/- 7 psi. So if the difference between actual shift pressure and commanded shift pressure is greater than the limits the adaptive learn can work with, that may explain why the adaptive learn is undoing what the shift kit does, and why they recommend it being disabled.

Like I said. Just thinking out loud. Never ran a shift kit to know how it works.That's exactly what is happening. Shift kit install should have Base Pressure for shift increased to match the kit. Then Adaptive learns can be left alone as they won't hit max. Then you still have shift times in place. Setting shift times to 0 does disable Adaptive Learn but is just that, Disable! Adjusting Base Pressure leaves shift times in tact and adjustable. No reason to disable shift times and then play with TR for shift.

Works well with shift kit and stock trans! Have more after the weekend...

Wheelz
September 1st, 2013, 02:49 PM
Yup, got it going yesterday.

That's exactly what is happening. Shift kit install should have Base Pressure for shift increased to match the kit. Then Adaptive learns can be left alone as they won't hit max. Then you still have shift times in place. Setting shift times to 0 does disable Adaptive Learn but is just that, Disable! Adjusting Base Pressure leaves shift times in tact and adjustable. No reason to disable shift times and then play with TR for shift.

Works well with shift kit and stock trans! Have more after the weekend...

Nice! Glad you got it sorted out.

And that wasnt quite where I was going. I was trying to say the shift kit made it so that the actual pressure was always higher than the commanded pressure, making it impossible to run adaptive learning, but I think your saying that's not the case, which is good to know

ZAPPA
October 31st, 2013, 12:00 AM
Guys, I have a stock 4l80 running off the 4l60 tune,oh and ls1. My 1-2 wot shifts are shocking. So soft I'm scared of doing some damage. I pasted all the 4l80 tables over as far as shift speeds, downshifts etc and basically changed the normal to performance numbers(I haven't got the switch). I've tried adjusting times and torque red as per what is on here but it's shocking, the rest of the shifts are ok, the tc is doing what it's spose to.
I even did all the changes that hell night kicks had rec on the truck site which made the tranny absolutely shocking. Am I stuffing up by getting it to run like the 4l80 and should I put the 60 tables and shifts back in?
On another note, the conversion was into a Aussie nissan and my speed sensor is before the transfer, I was worried that I'd have to wire in a 4 low circuit but it seems to shift up and down fine in low.
Cheers in advance
Karl

Wheelz
October 31st, 2013, 01:53 AM
Post up your tune so we can see what's going on.

I assume you did the 4L80 segment swap