PDA

View Full Version : Cant load COS

johnj
August 29th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Im tryin to load a cos5 but when I go to find a cal file to load there are no choices available just calz files that efilive v 7.5 wont open. I have downloaded and up dated to the newest version what is going on. Im following the tutorial step by step

darcy
August 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
You need to cal flash your original file over the COS.
Then the blank tables will be populated with your origianl calibration data.

johnj
August 29th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Ya I understand that. I cant even flash the cos in because there isn't any choices when I go to open tuning file with the 7.5 tune tool. If I go to the efi live program under the c: program files/efilive/v7.5/calibrations it shows all the files but they are all calz files and efi live wont open them or something.

darcy
August 29th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Ah, that the wrong directory.
You need to look for the EFI Live folder in Documents \ My Documents (depending in your Win7 / XP)

....EFI Live\V7.5\Bins\Custom OS\

is where you'll find all the base files.

johnj
August 30th, 2013, 12:00 AM
ok thanks a bunch I have found them. now my problem is my op system isn't listed in any of the choices its a 09381344 the engine is a 5.3. I have a tune from my buddys 02 truck op 12212156 can I flash the cos5 in then load his tune over the top with the cal flash or do I need to find something to match the 09381344 op system

darcy
August 30th, 2013, 12:52 AM
That sounds like the way to go.

There was a thread recently on a conversion from that OS to 12212156. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16809-2000-model-09381344-os-upgrade-to-any-01-and-newer-os

johnj
August 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
15752ok so I loaded the cos but when I full flash it it gets all the way to the end and says full flash failed. I wasn't sure if that's what it was supposed to do or not so I loaded the stock truck file over the top of it and it took. I pulled the file after I did the cal flash and it showed the custom calibrations drop down. I modded it according to the cos tutorial and put it back in. It took fine but now the car starts and runs terrible then dies. I am trying to run olsd tune can yall look at this and tell me what the hell is wrong

joecar
August 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM
If it runs terrible, are you running with the tables from your 09381344 file or from the 12212156 file...?

johnj
August 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I copy and pasted what ever was different from the old op system to the new one. It just starts and dies havent been able to drive it. It started and ran last night on the stock tune no problems with out the cos. i tried to load the cos and changed every thing for olsd and now it only fires then dies right away. Is the tune i posted right for wat im tring to do

johnj
August 31st, 2013, 02:37 AM
15754 I messed up last night I uploaded the wrong tune on here. This is the actual tune

darcy
August 31st, 2013, 10:06 PM
I see you want to run OLSD, have you removed MAF? If you have no MAF connected, set C2906 to 1.
Do you have a log of it not working? Does it set either a P0101/2/3 code immediately?

Your VE table looks quite high; some 15% over what you posted previously and 20% higher than my LS1 in the idle area. Do these values come from your stock tune?

Wheelz
September 1st, 2013, 01:57 AM
15754 I messed up last night I uploaded the wrong tune on here. This is the actual tune

According to that tune, your desired airflow table at idle (B4307) is not asking for any air in Park/Neutral, which I believe is why your starting and dying. I just checked it against a tune for an 01 on TuneFileDepot, and you should be commanding air in the P/N column. At least copy B4307 from this tune (15755) to yours. If it idles better but still feels like its dying try increasing the entire table by 10% at a time and see if it improves. If so I'm fairly certain thats your problem.

My 05 I had to keep increasing the values in that table 10% or so at a time till I have doubled the original values in that table and now I can perform a full flash and the truck idle normally without taking a week to fully relearn how to idle. (the electronic throttle takes longer for the relearn process)

As Darcy mentioned, your VE table doesn't look right. I don't know what all you've done to your engine, but your VE table looks proportionally identical to the one in my Uncles truck that has previously been box tuned (although his wasn't scaled that high). Your truck will run much better if you purchase a wideband o2 sensor (I run the LC-1) and log and correct your VE table. You are able to get away with a non corrected VE table running a MAF because above 4000 RPMs (or whatever value you set B0120 too. yours is at default of 4000) your truck will only use the MAF for airflow calculations. Open up a second EFI tuning window and compare my VE table to yours. I'm running a bone stock 5.3 with Try-Y headers and a flowmaster exhaust and have performed several corrections to my VE table. Still working on my idle and part throttle areas (50 kPa and less), but high load I have nailed down pretty good.

Just for kicks I'm going to attach my Uncles tune so you can see what I mean about the VE table.

What engine mods have you done?
and you might try a bone stock VE table in your COS tune as well.

johnj
September 1st, 2013, 04:01 AM
Its a bone stock 5.3 that I swapped into a 1963 rambler. As for the values in the ve table I just followed the tutorial and increased by the 15%. Yes there is no maf and no o2s as well. I just recently bought an lc1 just don't have it installed yet

Wheelz
September 1st, 2013, 06:22 AM
Its a bone stock 5.3 that I swapped into a 1963 rambler. As for the values in the ve table I just followed the tutorial and increased by the 15%. Yes there is no maf and no o2s as well. I just recently bought an lc1 just don't have it installed yet

Understandable. The tutorial isn't very clear in that area. On a bone stock truck you don't need to modify the VE table by 15%. It's close enough from the factory. You perform a large adjustment like that when you swap a cam or intake..

Aside from what I mentioned above, I would really recommend a stock VE table, then set maximum PE enrichment to .85 lambda. I think stock is .75, which causes detonation in my truck.

johnj
September 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the help its up and runnin pretty good. Need to get the wideband installed so I can do an auto ve on it. Also need to get the brakes worked out so its not so sketchy on the road

Wheelz
September 1st, 2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the help its up and runnin pretty good. Need to get the wideband installed so I can do an auto ve on it. Also need to get the brakes worked out so its not so sketchy on the road

Good deal! You'll get addicted to tuning the VE table.

For future people going down the same road, you mind posting up the tune that fixed it?

joecar
September 1st, 2013, 12:53 PM
What did you do to get it running...?

joecar
September 1st, 2013, 12:57 PM
Please have a read of post #29 here: Summary-Notes (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14188-Summary-Notes)

Also have a read of these two:
Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log) (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log))
Calc-MAFT-correcting-VE-and-calculating-MAF-(in-single-log)-gt-reverse-of-Calc-VET (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16413-Calc-MAFT-correcting-VE-and-calculating-MAF-(in-single-log)-gt-reverse-of-Calc-VET)

Calc-MAFT is a special case of AutoVE (which was written a long time ago).

You can still do AutoVE, but use the newer WO2BEN pid (in the tutorial replace the BEN pid with WO2BEN).

johnj
September 2nd, 2013, 05:29 AM
Well I guess I had the wrong inj data in it cause I put the inj data from the stock tune. I guess I missed that portion of the switch over. Heres the tune now if yall wanna check it over and see if theres any other changes yall would do to it. 15760

johnj
September 2nd, 2013, 06:06 AM
Another thing I forgot to ask about was my iat. It stays at -38 if I remember correct wasn't it in the maf on the earlier trucks

Wheelz
September 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
Another thing I forgot to ask about was my iat. It stays at -38 if I remember correct wasn't it in the maf on the earlier trucks

Some yes some no. You can buy an iat sensor and wire it in if you remove the maf altogether

johnj
September 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
well my harness from 150 tunes definitely didn't have an iat plug so it must have been with the maf on the 5.3 that I got. Would u happen to have a link or anything about putting a sensor in. I didn't have a maf or o2s so that's why im running olsd

joecar
September 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
You do need the IAT sensor...

there are F-car extension harnesses for running with a 5-pin MAF,

OR using a pick you can un-pin the MAF connector and insert the two IAT sensor pins into a 2-pin connector that mates with the IAT sensor you have.

MikeOD
December 10th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Ah, that the wrong directory.
You need to look for the EFI Live folder in Documents \ My Documents (depending in your Win7 / XP)

....EFI Live\V7.5\Bins\Custom OS\

is where you'll find all the base files.

This folder doesn't exist on my computer...I have commercial scan&tune...did I do something wrong at install?

MikeOD
December 10th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I just found ...EFI Live\V7.5\Installation Defaults\Bins\Custom OS\ ...they're all there.