PDA

View Full Version : Flash ecm that has had other tuner on it.

jordylee18
August 31st, 2013, 10:15 AM
I'm sure there's an answer for this somewhere but I can't find it.

I got a friend that I'm wanting to write a tune for. It's a stock 07 5.9 manual. He's not entirely sold on the efilive thing. He bought the truck with a box tuner already installed. The truck didn't come with the programmer so I don't know if it was a smarty, or what.

Can I read out his ecm and then flash that back in if he doesn't like my tune? I don't think that's possible but I would like to know. Like physically it's possible, but what about the checksums? Can I disable those?

I didn't have to deal with this on my truck as the ecm was virgin when I bought it. Thanks

AdamRRT
August 31st, 2013, 11:29 AM
Yes. Some guys keep a Smarty tune they read in order to have a comparison to show people.

jordylee18
August 31st, 2013, 12:55 PM
Ok, but can I flash that tune back in if he doesn't like mine? I thought the truck wouldn't run and throw codes if you did.

KDubya
August 31st, 2013, 01:20 PM
You should probably flash a TuneFile depot file onto it and read it back out and use that as your base file. That way, if he doesn't like your tune, you can flash it back to stock and he can start all over with his tuner. I would start with a good clean base file just to be safe.

2007 5.9
August 31st, 2013, 02:37 PM
The calibration page will tell you if you can reuse a read or not. If you try to use a bunk file it'll kill the ECM.

Advice of using a stock clean tune is best, and your buddy needs to kiss the current tune goodbye.

jordylee18
August 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM
Ya, I was going to start with a clean stock tune.

The programmer didn't come with the truck. So if he didn't like my tune, then he'd be stuck at stock if I can't flash back in the original. But I think I'm capable of writing a decent tune. Just wanted an escape route.