PDA

View Full Version : 02 Tahoe 5.3 engine misfire

XChris1632X
September 3rd, 2013, 01:59 PM
I have an 02 Tahoe 5.3 that my wife drives. I bought it with 240k on the clock at a good deal. It now has 265k and is still in good shape but it has an intermittent miss that is getting worse. I am trying to get more familiar with efi live and hoping I can use it to help me diagnose the issue. I know intake gaskets are an issue on these engines and I have even had a tech write that one is leaking after my wife took it in for an oil change when I was out of town. I however, have not been able to confirm the leak with carb spray. I notice no change in idle and see no visual signs of leaking. I am getting misfire codes from cylinder 2 as well as some evap codes this latest time around (it has been missing for two years slightly).

I don't want to just start throwing parts at this or wasting a lot of time changing stuff that shouldn't be. I was hoping there were some ways I could use this to help me look at some things such as spark, fuel injectors, and 02 sensors. It will sometimes idle rough cold and other times it wont. Some times it will do it more when it heats up. It is starting to effect transmission shifting. It acts as if it wants to take it out of lock up at times. I have never got the flashing SES light but the standard CEL comes on for a couple weeks and then goes off. If I run the vehicle hard with a lot of throttle it runs good but possibly might be leaving power on the table somewhere. Part throttle is not great and seems like it is really down on power when trying to accelerate 40-60% throttle. I don't notice it when cruising steady but with slight accelerations from a cruising speed like 45 mph for example, it will stumble or buck a few times very quickly and then come back.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

joecar
September 5th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Compression and leakdown tests.

Is coolant being lost (internally or externally)...?

Use visual spark tester ST-125 to verify strength of spark.

Check plugs and wires.

Are injectors firing consistently.

Clean injectors.

Swap coil pack with known good cylinder.

Swap injector with known good cylinder.

XChris1632X
September 5th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Sorry, I always forget important information.

No coolant being lost at all since I replaced my water pump a year ago.

brand new plugs and wires.

No other tests since then. What would you use to clean injectors? I have always thought that much of the products you can buy at autoparts stores are junk.

joecar
September 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
New plugs and wires: are you sure each of these are good...? [ I've seen quite a few cases of faulty/damaged new parts ] (swap plug and wire with another cylinder).

First do the injector balance test (using scantool shutoff each injector, one at a time, and note engine rpm drop on each one) [ see which cylinder produces the least rpm drop ].

There's a cleaning kit that connects pressurized solvent to fuel rail, you disable fuel pump, run until solvent is gone.

joecar
September 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Post log showing misfire counters.

Do you get a misfire DTC...?

XChris1632X
September 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Bare with me as I am newer to this and still trying to figure out what im doing. One of these I did completely wrong and I think one is what you want.

Here is a copy from everything listed under DTC's. I have never seen this much before. Normally it was only the misfire #2 code.

P0446 "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent System Performance" EPA ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"
P0446 "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent System Performance" H ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"
C0281 "Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) Performance" H ($29) "Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
C0222 "Rear Antilock Brake System (ABS) Channel in Release Too Long" H ($29) "Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
C0227 "Right Front Traction Control System (TCS) Channel Will Not Move" H ($29) "Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
C0226 "Left Front Traction Control System (TCS) Channel Will Not Move" H ($29) "Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
C0225 "Rear Antilock Brake System (ABS) Channel Motor Free Spins" H ($29) "Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
B1000 "Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Performance" H ($97) "Mobile Communication System (Onstar)"
B0414 "Temperature Control {single or 1} (main or front) Feedback Circuit Range/Performance" HC ($98) "HVAC Control Module"

I don't know why but there is no misfire listed this time. I usually always showed misfire on #2 hole. I don't think it is related but I thought I may be having some electrical issues (maybe ECM related) because I was loosing lights on dash and clock re setting. Found problems in dash go away with banging on it so I don't see it being ECM related.

I also used some Lucas injector cleaner today under recommendations from someone. I will try your methods as well as spark test tomorrow.

joecar
September 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Check voltage drop across all grounds (on engine, chassis, and connectors).

Check voltage drop across all power connections.